PDA

View Full Version : Various NFC North Draft Grades

GrnBay007
04-30-2007, 09:33 AM
From AOL Sports

Green Bay : Grade D
Top pick Justin Harrell is better against the run than the pass, and that's important for the Packers because of their competition with Chicago in the NFC North. But Harrell had a major injury to his biceps last year and, as much as the Packers need to upgrade on defense, they might have been better served finding a weapon to help Brett Favre before it's too late. It's hard to understand the second-round move, when the Packers passed over a durable runner like Tony Hunt, who'd be a perfect fit for their offense and their climate, and instead chose Brandon Jackson who, among other things, has a history of shoulder problems.

Detroit : Grade A-minus
The Lions wisely avoided worrying about their past failures with wide receivers and chose Calvin Johnson, generally considered the draft's best talent, with the second overall selection. You have to believe that Mike Martz will figure out a way to make the tandem of Johnson and Roy Williams productive, although quarterback remains a big question with Jon Kitna . In second-round pick Drew Stanton, the Lions have a popular local quarterback with a big upside if they can develop him. They used several picks to upgrade on defense and selected another of the big linemen, guard Manuel Ramirez, that club president Matt Millen favors. But the key to this draft will be Johnson, and it appears the Lions got this one right.

Chicago : Grade C-plus
With all their key players except Lance Briggs locked up, the NFC champs didn't have holes to fill. Tight end Greg Olsen, their first-round selection, has the size and speed to exploit defenses down the field as a receiver and create some running lanes. He's largely a one-dimensional player who is not adept at blocking, which limits his value, but the Bears will be able to utilize double tight end formations and Olsen's presence in the middle should mean more opportunities for Muhsin Muhammad and more help for quarterback Rex Grossman . Chicago also got some depth that should help its already potent defense.

Minnesota : Grade C-minus
Adrian Peterson 's collarbone issue did not concern the Vikings , who took the long-range view. This is a team that's rebuilding and, by passing on Brady Quinn, sent a signal they really believe Tarvaris Jackson will be their quarterback of the future. The Vikings will give Peterson a thorough exam this week and have conceded it's not out of the question he might require surgery but they believe that, ultimately, he will give their offense a much-needed shot of energy with a terrific combination of power and speed. Minnesota had other needs, but Peterson was the smart pick at No. 7 overall. The Vikings also added a pair of wide receivers later but they might not have done enough to address defensive shortcomings.

From Pete Prisco -CBS Sportsline

Green Bay Packers
Best pick: Justin Harrell. Yes, their first pick. He will be a force in the middle of their line.

Questionable move: Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson is a need pick, but he runs a little upright.

Second-day gem: Fifth-round pick David Clowney has blazing speed. If he can improve his route running, he could be a nice addition.

Overall grade: B

Chicago Bears
Best pick: They need a weapon in the middle of the field, so taking tight end Greg Olsen with the first pick was a good move.

Questionable move: Using a third-round pick on Garrett Wolfe, a small running back, is risky. They don't need him as a return man.

Second-day gem: Guard Josh Beekman, the team's fourth-round pick, will work in as a starter in two years.

Overall grade: C

Detroit Lions
Best pick: I like the choice of Ikaika Alama-Francis, a defensive end from Hawaii. He's a former basketball player, which says a lot about his athletic ability.

Questionable move: For some it's taking another receiver. But if you don't admit your mistakes, you're doomed by them. Taking Calvin Johnson was a good move.

Second-day gem: Fourth-round corner A.J. Davis is a smallish corner who has nice cover skills. He will be a perfect nickel corner.

Overall grade: B-. I like Johnson and second-round picks Alama-Francis and Drew Stanton. The Lions actually did some good things

Minnesota Vikings
Best pick: Third-round pick Marcus McCauley was once considered a first-round talent. He will push for the nickel job.

Questionable move: Passing on Brady Quinn in the first round. I love Adrian Peterson, but who will throw the football?

Second-day gem: Sixth-round pick Rufus Alexander was a tackling machine at Oklahoma. Getting him that late is a nice pick.

Overall grade: B. They drafted good players, but they didn't get a quarterback, which is why the grade isn't an A. Travaris Jackson better be a star.

From John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Czar's breakdown: A lot of teams questioned the selection of Tennessee DT Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick because he's entering the NFL off of surgery for a torn bicep, never a good injury for a linemen who has to use his arms so much to be successful. Because the Packers missed out on Marshawn Lynch, they selected Nebraska RB Brandon Jackson in the second round. Jackson rushed for 835 yards in his final nine games for the Cornhuskers, but a lot of scouts thought he should have stayed in school for his senior season. Instead of trading for Randy Moss, the Packers took San Jose State receiver James Jones in the third round and he has 4.6 speed. The 78th pick might have been a tad high for him. Virginia Tech safety Aaron Rouse is an intriguing defensive player because he could be used at outside linebacker. Colorado PK Mason Crosby had the strongest leg among draft-eligible kickers, but he performed pathetically at the combine. RB DeShawn Wynn has had weight problems at Florida, but he does have upside. Wynn never materialized into the running back that the college coaches expected, but maybe it will be different in the big leagues.

Grade: C

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Czar's breakdown: Well, the Vikings passed on Brady Quinn and that means they totally love second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. Instead, they grabbed Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson with the first pick and don't seem to have any concerns about his broken collar bone. Peterson was considered a top three pick with Russell and Johnson despite the injury factor, so Minnesota got value. The only odd statement about selecting Peterson is that RB Chester Taylor was their best player last season, totaling 1,867 yards from scrimmage while scoring one-third of their touchdowns. South Carolina WR Sidney Rice is a physical receiver who is coming a 1,000-yard season. Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley was considered a first-round talent in September, but a disappointing season dropped to the third round. East Carolina receiver Aundrae Allison could develop into an unbelievable playmaker, but he has major character issues but worth a fifth-round pick. Texas DE Brian Robinson is a little undersized for a fourth-round pick. Oklahoma LB Rufus Alexander, a classic tweener, was a tackling machine and the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. He was good value in the sixth round.

Grade: B-

CHICAGO BEARS
Czar's breakdown: You can't knock the selection of Miami tight end Greg Olsen at the bottom of the first round, but they jumped too early on Central Michigan DE Dan Bazuin who projects as a linebacker and on third-down running back prospect Garrett Wolfe of Northern Illinois. Wolfe is too light to be an every-down runner. Stanford LB Michael Ikwo definitely fits coach Lovie Smith's cover-two scheme. Kevin Payne of Louisiana-Monroe started as a running back in college but is now a hard-hitting safety and a good tackler. GM Jerry Angelo has opted to play chicken with LB Lance Briggs, who has threatened a 10-game holdout in 2007 if he doesn't receive a huge new contract. Angelo received no strong trade offers for Briggs. The only knock on Olsen is that he doesn't block like Mike Ditka.

Grade: C

DETROIT LIONS
Czar's breakdown: GM Matt Millen did a lot of trading on both days, and once again his draft is going to receive solid grades because he landed the best player — Tech receiver Calvin Johnson — and decided to keep him. Johnson is Millen's fourth receiver in the first round in the last five drafts. Drew Stanton of Michigan State has a chance to develop into a starting quarterback. Stanton has been compared favorably to Rich Gannon and offensive coordinator Mike Martz figures to school him perfectly. Stanton was a one-man show in college and put way too much pressure on himself. Millen didn't care about Brady Quinn because he always had his eye on Stanton. Hawaii DE Ikaika Alama-Francis is a raw talent with an excellent motor and awfully strong. He was moving up draft boards the last two weeks. Boise State safety Gerald Alexander has the ability to be a zone-coverage cornerback. Ditto for A.J. Davis of North Carolina State, who should compete as a nickel cornerback. The Lions also had Mr. Irrelevant, the last pick, and chose three-year starter Ramzee Robinson of Alabama, a cornerback.

Grade: A-

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Too funny. Tony Hunt may fit the Green Bay climate, but he's not a better fit for the Packers scheme. As far as I know, it can get cold in Nebraska also.

MasonCrosby
04-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Too funny. Tony Hunt may fit the Green Bay climate, but he's not a better fit for the Packers scheme. As far as I know, it can get cold in Nebraska also.

yeah i don't get the whole climate comment either, weren't the great plains states locked in a blizzard in the early winter?

Cheesehead Craig
04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't know why so many were in love with Hunt for the Packers. Different scheme, different personnel needed. Square peg in a round hole.

Zool
04-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know why so many were in love with Hunt for the Packers. Different scheme, different personnel needed. Square peg in a round hole.And the final nail in the coffin, a Penn State RB.

LL2
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
These grades do not mean anything. Give the grades next January and again in two years. That’s when you really know. Half the first rd picks are going to flop, and one of the first two QB’s (Russell and Quinn) will flop. I think if GB’s staff can get Harrel in great physical condition and he has the work ethic and determination to do it ( he certainly will not be lacking in good influences with Kampman and Hawk) he could blossom into disruptive force in the middle.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
These grades do not mean anything. Give the grades next January and again in two years. That’s when you really know. Half the first rd picks are going to flop, and one of the first two QB’s (Russell and Quinn) will flop. I think if GB’s staff can get Harrel in great physical condition and he has the work ethic and determination to do it ( he certainly will not be lacking in good influences with Kampman and Hawk) he could blossom into disruptive force in the middle.

Yea, but they are fun.....

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Buffalo got a lot of F's last year--mainly because they took Donte Whitner too high in the eyes of the experts last year, and they ended up having what looks to be a good draft.

wist43
04-30-2007, 10:20 AM
There are a lot of intriguing picks in this class, specifically:

Harrell - good player
Jackson - good player
Clowny - has a chance
Wynn - measurables, 10 cent head

I think with this draft, that TT has proven that you can draft good players, and really not improve your team much.

Hence, bolstering my solidifying position that TT will never be able to bring it all together. TT seems to be shaping up as a good talent evaluator trying to be a GM. It would seem that to him, the game is all about stacking a board and picking from the top of it regardless of whether it will help the team or not.

Merlin
04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I would grade us about a C-. Justin Harrell may turn out to be a great NFL player. However his injury history should have prevented him from being taken until the 3rd round. It scares me that the 3rd best rated DT in the draft was a guy that was injured and not playing most of 2006. That doesn't say much for the other DT's in the draft now does it. Brandon Jackson looks like he "could" be a good running back in the NFL. I don't think he will beat Morency or Heron out this year but he should make the roster in some way. It sounds like he has a hard time hanging onto the football as well so that will have to be worked on. I didn't understand the James Jones pick. He seems to be the same kind of receiver we are stocked with. He was taken in the 3rd round which tells me he will be on the roster regardless. Hopefully there is something there that we don't see in him. Aaron Rouse is the player I am most excited to see. It will be interesting to see how McCarthy tries to use him. I am hoping he is a LeRoy Butler type. Allen Barbre has the look of a potential NFL lineman and taking him in the 4th you would expect him to have shown something. David Clowney may have some speed but I am not sure where he fits in since he doesn't have the size we need at WR. Possibly KR/PR? The only remaining player I am excited to see what he has is our last pick, Clark Harris. He looks like he has good size and can go vertical which is something we need in our TE's. I don't remember seeing him playing so it's hard for me to gauge him.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Ouch, harsh grading. Surprised to see them say c- on the queens.

This dude's opinion aint worth anymore then anyone on the forum. Gonna take a few years to make the call on any draft so I find grading it now a joke.