PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Were you upset with the Harrell pick?
Who did you want instead? One name that was available. No crazy trade scenarios. Get your vote on record.

I say no to the first.
I wanted Robert Meachem at the time of the draft, but I think Harrell is a fine pick.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Exactly the same as you.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
No, but I was initially surprised.

Of people on the board at the time? I didn't really want any of them. Watching it live, I was hoping TT would trade down, but I would have been "OK" with Meacham, but the pick wouldn't have excited me. As a longshot I was hoping that Okoye might drop (like he did in the ESPN mock). Plausibly I was hoping that Leon Hall would have gotten taken before Revis so we could have drafted Revis at 16. I did not want Olsen, and I wasn't particularly high on Nelson.

packers11
04-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I didn't even know the guy, so all my friends around me were laughing at the pick... Kind of embarrassed... Only one of my friends said he was a stud, but was injured all of last season so the highlights are 2 years old... So I was little better, but not that much...

NELSON!

but I was thinking we were getting Randy all along... Therefor...

robert Meachem would have been my pick also...

Joemailman
04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
A little surprised, but not upset.

I would have taken Bowe.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 04:22 PM
No, because I didn't know any better and figured TT would find a dark horse.

I just wanted a very good player. Seems like this kid might be one.

Green Bud Packer
04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
blindsided but not upset. like lurker i was thinking t.t. would trade down. i was hoping for rice.

Charles Woodson
04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
No, took me a few minutes to overcome the shock.

I really wanted Nelson

4and12to12and4
04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm fine with picking a d-lineman, the trenches are usually where games are won and lost in the NFL, and the "Superstars" get all the accolades for what the guys on the line ALLOW them to do. The more depth we have on both lines, the sooner we will be a SB contender again.

At the time of the draft, I was hoping TT would trade down for two mid to high 3rd round picks or get Hall or Meachum. But I was pissed when Revis was gone, and thought he was more worth 16 than Hall. So, after scratching my head wondering who the hell he was, it seems like a good pick. We shall see.

I have a whole rant about this in the post about Peter King's bullshit opinions on the first round.

chain_gang
04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Upset, no. Surprised yes sir. Harrell may be great, may be average, I can't hate the pick because he hasn't played a game.

I know I was pulling for Bowe out of LSU, just like his physical presence is the passing game, and not to mention his blocking skills as a WR. Seems like a tough guy and goes over the middle. He was in my opinion as close to a Sterling Sharpe(Player wise) as we were going to see. I am glad they passed on Meachem, yes he has speed, but I never really saw that type of speed in games. Sort of reminded me of Chad Jackson, Great timed speed, that doesn't translate over to game speed, also each for all their physical gifts only had one good year in college. Meachem didn't seem like a top redzone target either Bowe did with his physical play.

So yes I wanted to see Bowe drafted over Harrell, but I will take a wait and see approach.

I do expect to see a top 10 D this year, not because of Harrell, but because most of our D is very experienced and they have to carry this team, not Favre. We have to much money invested in our D to accept anything less.

swede
04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I was all WTF at first.

All along I could not make up my mind about who we should pick. I think I was rooting for Okoye to drop, but that fantasy didn't last long. I don't think I wanted a WR or an RB. I was still pulling for defense.

I'm feeling happier about the pick. The upside for Harrell could be quite good.

packinpatland
04-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Honestly............ was upset and surprised, initially.
Guess I was like alot of people, wanted the Packers to do for Favre what the Patriots did/are doing for Brady.

Either a WR or a RB would have been nice.

This kid does not come with baggage. He may have been injured, but he's not now. So, come training camp, let' see what he brings.

Bottom line, it is what it is. May as well be positive about it.

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I would have made the tarde with the Browns and had two number one picks next season in the top 14. This isn't crazy, TT turned this down!!!

wist43
04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Character issues aside - and I hate making that a condition - I love Lynch's talent.

His ten cent head may prevent him from ever being anything, but if his character checked out, I would have made an effort to trade up to #11 and taken Lynch.

That failing, I probably would have taken Meachem.

That said, upon further scrutiny, I like the Harrell pick... if he stays healthy, he has a chance to be a hell of a DT. Instantly, he became our best DT.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Name a player. We don't know what would have been an option. Give me an available player you would have drafted. We can all dream about this scenario or that, but let's hear who you would have taken.

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I would have taken the Browns up on their trade offer and I would hAVE DECIDED between Weddle,Harris,Irons,Rice,or Jarrett. I probably would have taken Weddle.

pittstang5
04-30-2007, 05:47 PM
At first - hated the pick, mainly because I knew he was injured during the year and felt if TT really wanted him, he could have gotten him in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd. I'm coming around. I did some more research on the guy and realize that he may have been considered a top 5 pick if it wasn't for the injury. I like his "football attitude" and the fact that he wore Reggie's old number. I remain skeptical, but after a cool down period, I'm ok with the pick right now.

Who I would take? - Jarvis Moss. I just figured he was the BPA at the time.

Freak Out
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
The two LBs I wanted were off the board as well as Lynch when we picked so I had no problem with it really (the injuries do concern me though). I am glad he went defense.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Were you upset with the Harrell pick?
Who did you want instead? One name that was available. No crazy trade scenarios. Get your vote on record.

I say no to the first.
I wanted Robert Meachem at the time of the draft, but I think Harrell is a fine pick.

1. Not Happy, but willing to wait and see after my Packer Homerism kicked in and I started creating reasoning for the pick

2. Meachem

But again, I want the trade the team did directly one pick behind us. It's very practical to think Denver would have offered the same thing for one pick earlier.....then they'd have the pick of the two DL left that they were interested in.

Meachem was still there when Jacksonville was picking

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 06:02 PM
It's easy to say Meachem was there, but if you were the GM and wanted Meachem, at the time of the pick you wouldn't have known if he was available to pick later. So, the easiest thing to do is pick a player you wanted instead. I have both of us down for Meachem, but I'm hopeful I'm wrong--just like I was wrong on Collins and Jennings.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
But again, I want the trade the team did directly one pick behind us. It's very practical to think Denver would have offered the same thing for one pick earlier.....then they'd have the pick of the two DL left that they were interested in.

Well, word out of Denver is actually that the Broncos had targeted one of three defensive linemen with their draft pick (Anderson, Harrell, or Moss) and were betting that a couple of those guys were going to be there when they picked and were content to sit back and just take the guy that fell to them. My understanding was that they were motivated to trade up when two of the three guys they had targeted went earlier than they anticipated and they were faced with the prospect of having all of their guys gone by the time they traded up.

I'm fairly confident that if Green Bay had taken Meachem or Leon Hall at 16, Denver would not have traded up.

ND72
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I was surprised, but I guess not shocked. I knew he'd come out of left field with the pick. I was, however, happy it WASN'T Meachem or Nelson.

At that point in the 1st round, I either wanted Brady Quinn or the trade. I didn't see anyone else that was going to contribute to our team at the #16 pick.

The reason I wasn't "shocked" over the pick is because I was reading saturday morning that Justin Harrell could rise to as high as #13 pick depending on how the draft plays out. I also heard that the 49ers had Justin Harrell #2 on their board behind Patrick Willis. So again, it's not shocking to me.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
It's easy to say Meachem was there, but if you were the GM and wanted Meachem, at the time of the pick you wouldn't have known if he was available to pick later. So, the easiest thing to do is pick a player you wanted instead. I have both of us down for Meachem, but I'm hopeful I'm wrong--just like I was wrong on Collins and Jennings.

Yes, me as well

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm excited to see the defense. If we start showing signs of domination on that side of the ball we'll be on the right track.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm excited to see the defense. If we start showing signs of domination on that side of the ball we'll be on the right track.

Agree

But I hope this isn't step one of letting Corey Williams go; if you want to build strength and strength in numbers we need to pay him as well.

ND72
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM

Agree

But I hope this isn't step one of letting Corey Williams go; if you want to build strength and strength in numbers we need to pay him as well.

I don't think it's the sign of letting Williams go, but a good backup plan if nothing else. Williams has had 1 good season...if he doesn't produce next year, we have our guy already there. We could legitamantly have a solid DT rotation, and if one gets hurt, we're still ok. That's the positive. The more I read on Harrell, and the more I think of it, the more I personally like the pick.

Joemailman
04-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Interesting how many people on here have come around to the idea that maybe this wasn't a bad pick. I wonder if the people who booed TT at Lambeau have had a change of heart.

b bulldog
04-30-2007, 06:32 PM
It is real simple, Cole and Williams are signed for this year and this pick hopefully gives us a player at DT and also gives us insurance for next year.

The Shadow
04-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I am secretly hoping that perhaps now we have a decent chance of actually stopping a 3rd & one. Have not had much confidence in that for at least a decade.

3irty1
04-30-2007, 06:56 PM
I am secretly hoping that perhaps now we have a decent chance of actually stopping a 3rd & one. Have not had much confidence in that for at least a decade.

I'm ready to start converting 3rd and 1.

Lurker64
04-30-2007, 07:00 PM

Maybe we can put Berbre in at fullback. He's about as fast as Le'Ron McClain and he can certainly block. ;)

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Shhhh....you'll jinx it!

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Letting Williams go because we have this guy would be stupid IMO. DT's only play 60% of the snaps. YOu need 3 good ones to play starter minutes and at least 1 backup who can play because odds are one of your guys who's playing starter time goes down at some point in the year.

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Getting off the field on 3rd down would certainly impact the outcome of the game.

Big guys typically take a year to develop but this kid looked pretty damn strong. I think he'll contribute to wins right away but I think we'll see his best starting in year 2.

Regardless, we should beable to get the ball back at a more regular rate. I think that helps Brett Favre. Alos, if you get the ball back, that means you are tiring out their defense and at the end of the game we might even beable to pound it a little. Taht would help too.

I'm sort of pumped about this defense. I was hopign for defense if we couldn't get Lynch.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:16 PM

Maybe we can put Berbre in at fullback. He's about as fast as Le'Ron McClain and he can certainly block. ;)

Don't be hatin' on LeRon! :evil: :wink:

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Interesting how many people on here have come around to the idea that maybe this wasn't a bad pick. I wonder if the people who booed TT at Lambeau have had a change of heart.

We're still homers and still Packer fans; whether I liked a pick or not nearly every year my homerism kicks in and I find justification.

Well, except for Ferguson and Rodgers; I just couldn't get by those

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Letting Williams go because we have this guy would be stupid IMO. DT's only play 60% of the snaps. YOu need 3 good ones to play starter minutes and at least 1 backup who can play because odds are one of your guys who's playing starter time goes down at some point in the year.

Agree completely

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey B,

I'll be right with you if we start letting impact guys go or letting good guys get to UFA and then accting suprised that they got so much.

I trust TT now, but if we dont' see signs this season of a very good defense and/or the offesnive line cannot pass pro or get a push in the redzone then I will be right with you in the skepticism.

My vow right now is that I will not support TT if the defense doesn't look very good. He's had 3 years and he's invested a lot on that side. I like him but I"m not stupid. I completely agree that we need to see signs.

That said, I think they are going to be good this year. Maybe I'm sipping koolaid but I think the DL and LBs are going to take over games and the Oline is going to make the offense soemwhat potent again. I really do have a good feeling abotu this season.

pack4to84
04-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Has anyone notice that the media saids how good the minn pick was and then saids Packers pick a often injured DT. Wasn't AP often injured himself.

Back to the topic. After a inside source brought up that the Packers where hi on Harrell and where think of taking him in the first round. I read up on him and wasn't shocked when the pick was made. But still was in the back of my mind hoping that they would take Quinn then try to trade Rodgers for a draft pick.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Has anyone notice that the media saids how good the minn pick was and then saids Packers pick a often injured DT. Wasn't AP often injured himself.

Back to the topic. After a inside source brought up that the Packers where hi on Harrell and where think of taking him in the first round. I read up on him and wasn't shocked when the pick was made. But still was in the back of my mind hoping that they would take Quinn then try to trade Rodgers for a draft pick.

I think they might have considered that if they had faith they could get a decent pick for Rodgers.

My buddies and I did discuss how nice it would have been now if we had taken somebody besides Rodgers and then let the QB position play out til Favre left

Because then Brady Quinn would have been our first round draft pick

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey B,

I'll be right with you if we start letting impact guys go or letting good guys get to UFA and then accting suprised that they got so much.

I trust TT now, but if we dont' see signs this season of a very good defense and/or the offesnive line cannot pass pro or get a push in the redzone then I will be right with you in the skepticism.

My vow right now is that I will not support TT if the defense doesn't look very good. He's had 3 years and he's invested a lot on that side. I like him but I"m not stupid. I completely agree that we need to see signs.

That said, I think they are going to be good this year. Maybe I'm sipping koolaid but I think the DL and LBs are going to take over games and the Oline is going to make the offense soemwhat potent again. I really do have a good feeling abotu this season.

I hope you are right; it's a rough schedule so I'm not sure I see much more than 9-7 but I'm at the point where I want to see progress.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Two questions. Give us one name. Put your expertise on the line. Instead of bitching about the Harrell pick, choose who you would have picked.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't have taken Harrell in the 1st round although I think he is a great pickup. I would have either taken Quinn or traded down or out of the first round. I just didn't see much talent left that would warrant a first round contract, e.g. no one I felt would start for us. Harrell may or may not start. If he does start it's because he was the 1st round pick and not because he earned it. I don't think he will be able to beat out everyone for the starting DT position because the competition will make everyone on our DL better automatically. They already have to be thinking about the pick of a DT in the first round and who is out. Not a bad situation for us to be in really.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I have you down for Quinn then. That one might be hard to judge. A lot depends on Quinn and Aaron Rodgers. Quinn could be a good player, but if Aaron Rodgers turns into a similar player, then it will have kind of been a wasted pick.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
It's a tough call with Quinn being that we have Rodgers. I just know that at the time (and TT always says you draft BPA) that drafting a player that was injured most of 2006 vs. a highly touted skill position player who did play the 2006 season goes against his stated beliefs.

I think he is more NFL ready today then Rodgers is at this point. I know the Browns like Frye but who knows, maybe Quinn will end up the starter. I hope not because it would be nice for him to sit a season and learn.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I would have taken the Browns up on their trade offer and I would hAVE DECIDED between Weddle,Harris,Irons,Rice,or Jarrett. I probably would have taken Weddle.

What bulldog said.

I wanted Weddle, the guy is an animal!

I would've also tried to trade the Pack 2008 pick for Turner and kept the Browns pick. I think we'll finish better than them.

That way, we'd have had a stud RB as well.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Two questions. Were you happy? One name?

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 11:52 AM

I wasn't unhappy, cause I figured TT knows what he's doing! So, yes I was happy.

Still, if I had been TT........

Brohm
05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I was hoping for a trade down (16 is no man's land, trade down for a late first and pick up a second or third)...or a trade at all (take Quinn and trade Rodgers).

Surprised when they stood pat and took Harrel

Spaulding
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Harv, surprised at the pick as although I had researched the draft like a geek and had heard Harrell was rising, didn't see him being mid first round.

I honestly thought TT would trade down if Lynch or Revis was not available.

The player I'd have taken would have been Revis to add depth and insurance should Woodson or Harris go down.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for answering in an honest way, but Revis was off the board.

Spaulding
05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for answering in an honest way, but Revis was off the board.

Sorry, was thinking the player I wanted that I thought would be there at #16. Given the fact that he wasn't and no other gem dropped (Okoye, etc.) I'm fine with the pick.

My only other thought would have been to grab Quinn and either keep him and try to trade Rodgers as I honestly think Brady isn't overrated and actually elevated a mediocre ND team to a bowl game they didn't deserve. I think he'll be the real deal and possibly like old Boomer of the Bengals. Rodgers probably will be fine as a starter but my gut tells me Quinn will be the better NFL quarterback.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I'll mark you down for Quinn. Like I said, that will be the one choice that will be hard to grade--depending on Rodgers.

I thought Quinn was a little underrated too, but felt that he wasn't a sure thing and it would be awfully tough to draft two QBs (that were projected to go top 10 that dropped out of the top 20) in a three year stretch. Imagine how pissed the TT haters would have been over that one.

woodbuck27
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I was very surprized that TT went with DT Justin Harrell. Who on this board was harreling him ?

He took almost all of his time on the clock to make that choice at #16, so it appeared to me that he wanted to trade down.

I never expected that TT would go offense with #16 ie at WR or Meachem or Bowe. Therefore I hoped for the player that I felt would be TT's BPA.

Leon Hall.

The draft thread backs this up. :)

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Thompson said he was taking calls to trade down. He said the four teams behind him weren't interested. He said he didn't want to trade down any further because he feared he'd lose Harrell. Knowing that the Broncos likely would have taken Harrell, it seems he was spot with his assessment--although it wouldn't have been that hard to predict another team running the Jim Bates defense would be interested in Harrell.

Packnut
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Meachem

retailguy
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I would have tried to trade down, and take Meachem. Barring that, I'd have stayed where I was and either taken Harrell, or traded with Denver.

But honestly, it would have been hard to resist Nelson. It was a little high, but more likely to solve the defenses woes...

I know the argument about "needs drafting", but, we really, really needed a safety, not another "project" that might become a safety.

woodbuck27
05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Thompson said he was taking calls to trade down. He said the four teams behind him weren't interested. He said he didn't want to trade down any further because he feared he'd lose Harrell. Knowing that the Broncos likely would have taken Harrell, it seems he was spot with his assessment--although it wouldn't have been that hard to predict another team running the Jim Bates defense would be interested in Harrell.

Yup.