View Full Version : Packer Draft Pick's Wonderlics Test Scores

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
All scores are out of 50

Justin Harrell- 24. Highest of all DTs.

Brandon Jackson- 11

James Jones- 9

Aaron Rouse- 17

Allen Barbe- 11. Tied for lowest pick among all OL in draft.

David Clowney- 18

Korey Hall- 25

Desmond Bishop- 15

Mason Crosby- 25

DeShawn Wynn- 16

Clark Harris- 40. 2nd highest in draft. Highest goes to Anthony Gonzalez.

Average Score: 19

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 07:44 PM
We got a couple dummy's but WR's and RB's dont' really seem to need smarts. The OL guys concerns me.

packers11
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
o god Jamas Jones got outscored by Randy Moss... This could be bad :roll: :lol:

RashanGary
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I see the average at 19. Waht is the average of all player? Anyone know?

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Without Clark Harris, our score would be 15.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-30-2007, 07:48 PM
I could get a 9 just from guessing, that worries me.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 07:50 PM

Corrected that. I had the cumulative score being 201, instead of 211.

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I could get a 9 just from guessing, that worries me.

Well, at least it shows he has integrity..... :?

Jimx29
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
All scores are out of 50

James Jones- 9

[/b] How is his kool-aid making?

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
All scores are out of 50

James Jones- 9

[/b] How is his kool-aid making?

Couldn't find that one on his scouting report.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Lots of these guys get low scores (on all teams).....I wonder what the percentage of players is that actually pays any attention at all in class!

Badgerinmaine
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I got curious and checked up on it...According to an article from a few years ago on ESPN.com, the average score for people in general is 20. The article went on to say the following:

This assessment roughly corresponds to the averages revealed, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, by an NFL personnel man in Paul Zimmerman's "The New Thinking man's Guide to Pro Football," which are:

Offensive tackles: 26
Centers: 25
Quarterbacks: 24
Guards: 23
Tight Ends: 22
Safeties: 19
Middle linebackers: 19
Cornerbacks: 18
Wide receivers: 17
Fullbacks: 17
Halfbacks: 16

The average scores in other professions look like this:

Chemist: 31
Programmer: 29
Newswriter: 26
Sales: 24
Bank teller: 22
Clerical Worker: 21
Security Guard: 17
Warehouse: 15

The article said in general, "The closer you are to the ball, the higher your score". I wouldn't have figured OTs would score so high.

BradStrand
05-01-2007, 12:58 AM
How much says the writer of this story changed 'newswriter' from 16 to 26?

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 11:27 PM
So some of our guys may not even be smart enough to safely drive a forklift/powered industrial lift truck? Nice. I guess the best place for them is the field.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Lots of these guys get low scores (on all teams).....I wonder what the percentage of players is that actually pays any attention at all in class!

I'm sure their coachs have smart kids go to class and take their tests for them.

Freak Out
05-02-2007, 12:12 AM

I'm sure their coachs have smart kids go to class and take their tests for them.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Fritz
05-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Before people start piling on James Jons for his score, let me recall to everyone the gnashing of teeth over Javon Walker's poor wonderlic score when Shermy drafted him. Walker seemed to figure out the offense okay.

PackerPro42
05-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Where did you get those results from? I'd like to see what other prospects got as well.

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2007, 08:20 AM
So some of our guys may not even be smart enough to safely drive a forklift/powered industrial lift truck? Nice. I guess the best place for them is the field.
Yup--operating heavy machinery not required!

Merlin
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
If I remember the premise of the Wonderlic test, it is more telling of someone's potential learning ability and problem solving. I don't think it has ever been a good indicator of football talent. I know when the do interviews with "some" of the players you know they can't read :)!

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Then it's a good thing we didn't get Lynch. He likes driving the machinery on the field.

gex
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm interested with how our results are compared to other teams like New England who has the reputation as drafting smart players.

packers11
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm interested with how our results are compared to other teams like New England who has the reputation as drafting smart players.

Merriweather is smart??? :lol:

CaliforniaCheez
05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
The Packers have had some score as low as 8.

Among those scoring 8 were: Marshall, Barry, Javon Walker, and that DT Donnell Washington.

If you are single digits on the Wonderlic you are barely functional in society. Michael Vick and Daunte Culpepper scored 14.

I would not trust a player under 15 unless he was a DT or RB.

BallHawk
05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Where did you get those results from? I'd like to see what other prospects got as well.

Gaines Adams- 7
Marshawn Lynch- 8
Justin Blalock- 41 (This score was the highest in draft, not Gonzalez. Sorry.)
Chris Leak- 8
John Beck- 34
Scott Chandler- 36

BallHawk
05-02-2007, 03:54 PM
And the winner of lowest score in this year's wonderlic are.........

David Irons out of Auburn and Bo Smith out of Weber State.

What is the magic number you say? It is............

PackerPro42
05-03-2007, 06:12 AM
What site are these from? I would like to see the entire class.

BallHawk
05-03-2007, 06:52 AM
What site are these from? I would like to see the entire class.

Not everybody's wonderlics are released. The Packer ones I got from JSO. The other ones I had to wander around for.

Fritz
05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Man. I haven't seen the actual test, but to get a four it almost seems like you'd have to try to screw it up.

falco
05-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Its my understanding that the test is very heavy on differential equations.

swede
05-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Man. I haven't seen the actual test, but to get a four it almost seems like you'd have to try to screw it up.

There is a link to a sample test in the Romper Room.

I took it and thought it was pretty easy.

It is kind of like an intellectual tractor pull. Some questions are easy. Some are tougher. The questions seem to be partly mathematical, partly logical, and partly linguistic relationships.

I can easily see how a player might have "football" intelligence and be successful in the NFL despite Wunderlics of 10-15.

It would be a challenge for coaches to deal with players having scores less than 10 I would think.

I've always wondered why there are so few football players in the NFL that did not go to school at all. Isn't there some system for finding dropout students that would make great ballplayers? Can anyone think of a good or even great player in the modern era that never went to college at all?

Badgerinmaine
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
The article I cited earlier says that only one NFL player has ever scored a perfect 50 on the test--Pat McInally, a punter for the Bengals who went to Harvard:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228.html

Packgator
05-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Man. I haven't seen the actual test, but to get a four it almost seems like you'd have to try to screw it up.It is kind of like an intellectual tractor pull.

Interesting analogy. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a tractor pull being used to make sense of the test before. And I'm not quite sure what an "intellectual tractor pull" is. Nevertheless........good one!

swede
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Actually I made an inaccurate analogy there. There are some psychometric assessments that allow you to continue responding until you have three incorrect responses in a row. THOSE would be like an intellectual tractor pull.

My understanding is that the Wunderlic is timed. Poor readers are at a pretty big disadvantage. But you get to hack away until time is up or you get your fifty responses in.

I'd like to repeat my question again regarding the unschooled in the NFL.

MNF was in the habit of allowing players to introduce themselves and their alma maters. Very few players seem to make this league without college.

Any familiar names come to mind of modern era NFL players that never went to college?

woodbuck27
05-03-2007, 03:32 PM
We got a couple dummy's but WR's and RB's dont' really seem to need smarts. The OL guys concerns me.

I believe they measure as among the smartest positionally along with QB's.

woodbuck27
05-03-2007, 03:33 PM
All scores are out of 50

Justin Harrell- 24. Highest of all DTs.

Brandon Jackson- 11 (cut him already !! . . .woodbuck27)

James Jones- 9 ( you've got to be kidding me. . .ditto !!! . . .woodbuck27)

Aaron Rouse- 17

Allen Barbe- 11. Tied for lowest pick among all OL in draft.

David Clowney- 18

Korey Hall- 25

Desmond Bishop- 15

Mason Crosby- 25

DeShawn Wynn- 16

Clark Harris- 40. 2nd highest in draft. Highest goes to Anthony Gonzalez.

Average Score: 19

BallHawk
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
The article I cited earlier says that only one NFL player has ever scored a perfect 50 on the test--Pat McInally, a punter for the Bengals who went to Harvard:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228.html

Patrick Fitzgerald, QB out of Harvard who used to play for the Rams, also, reportedly, got a 50.

Packgator
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd like to repeat my question again regarding the unschooled in the NFL.

MNF was in the habit of allowing players to introduce themselves and their alma maters. Very few players seem to make this league without college.

Any familiar names come to mind of modern era NFL players that never went to college?

The league's age requirement states that a player be three years removed from high school in order to play. College is not a requirement but what are they going to do for three years after high school.......and still be prepared for the NFL? Don't know of any modern day players that didn't go to college. Perhaps there has been a kicker or two from another country who came to the league after playing soccer for a few years.