PDA

View Full Version : Future QBs of the NFC North

BallHawk
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, the Lions added Drew Stanton this weekend, who I think will become a very good QB in this league. Tavaris Jackson will be the year-long starter in Minny as long as he doesn't stoop down to Brooks Bollinger's level. Grossman should remain the starter in Chicago. Rodgers is, for now, the QB of the future in Green Bay. So, out of interest, if you guys could do this, that'd be great. Assume that all 4 QBs will stay in the NFC North.

1. List, from 1 to 3, in which QB will be most successful this season, statistically and as his team performs. Unless Favre gets injured, Rodgers will still be on the bench, therefore I won't include him

2. List, from 1 to 4, which QBs will have the most successful NFL Career.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, the Lions added Drew Stanton this weekend, who I think will become a very good QB in this league. Tavaris Jackson will be the year-long starter in Minny as long as he doesn't stoop down to Brooks Bollinger's level. Grossman should remain the starter in Chicago. Rodgers is, for now, the QB of the future in Green Bay. So, out of interest, if you guys could do this, that'd be great. Assume that all 4 QBs will stay in the NFC North.

1. List, from 1 to 3, in which QB will be most successful this season, statistically and as his team performs. Unless Favre gets injured, Rodgers will still be on the bench, therefore I won't include him

Man, who knows. Favre looks to be the class of the North again, as he has for many years. However, QB's do NOT get better as they get into their later 30s......so how much worse he gets, I really don't know. He looked pretty good to me last year.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
That's really tough. Good thread. What's the criteria?

This year (mostly based on playing time, I guess):
1) Grossman
2) Jackson
3) Stanton, he won't play either--unless Kitna gets hurt
4) Rodgers

Long-term:
1) Grossman
2) Rodgers
3) Stanton
4) Jackson

Quite honestly, I don't know if the bottom three will do anything, so I give the nod to Grossman. The others might never even have a year as good as Grossman did last year.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Man, who knows. Favre looks to be the class of the North again, as he has for many years. However, QB's do NOT get better as they get into their later 30s......so how much worse he gets, I really don't know. He looked pretty good to me last year.

I don't think he was including Favre in this discussion.

Rastak
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM

I don't think he was including Favre in this discussion.

He should.....

edit: For the record, I honestly can't say how Jackson will do. I'd like to play this game, but I'm not armed with enough knowledge on Jackson, and Stanton. I can say Grossman hasn't impressed me and he's had adequate time to do so.

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Grossman
Stanton
Rodgers
Jackson

mraynrand
04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Flip a coin(s). Who the hell knows with this collection. Only Grossman has a proven record. So long as his defense protects him, he'll probably continue to play okay in low pressure games. When the pressure is on? Who the hell knows? All the other three could be complete dog meat. They have to play a collection of games before you'll ever know.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/igor_sack_v_bears.jpg

Freak Out
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Please don't forget about the Ragin Cajun Babb.

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Ingle...

3irty1
05-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Grossman sucks. Stanton might still have a wicked tandem of WR. Jackson doesn't have much going for him but he'll get ample opportunities to show his stuff. Ironically Rodgers is probably the biggest question mark for me. Until he broke his foot I guess I just assumed he'd be good.

Brohm
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Definately be a more interesting preseason. Rodgers/Martin need to start showing something for the future. Stanton and Jackson are the futures of their franchises. Grossman shoots for a negative QB rating (he hit zero already :P ).

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I feel so sorry for Stanton. He would have been more successful in Chicago. His career is over as long as he is with the Lions.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Grossman sucks. Stanton might still have a wicked tandem of WR. Jackson doesn't have much going for him but he'll get ample opportunities to show his stuff. Ironically Rodgers is probably the biggest question mark for me. Until he broke his foot I guess I just assumed he'd be good.

I don't like Grossman either. By the way I don't know if any of yo saw it, Chris Leak in now a Bear. He signed a contract after the draft. Should be intresting camp for Da Bears. So I think Leak should fall in the category of future QB in the North. I don't see anythking in Rodgers just a hohum guy. He hasn't proved himself.

oregonpackfan
05-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Ingle...

MJ,

You took the #1 nomination right out of my mouth!

I guess great minds think alike....

oregonpackfan
05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Flip a coin(s). Who the hell knows with this collection. Only Grossman has a proven record. So long as his defense protects him, he'll probably continue to play okay in low pressure games. When the pressure is on? Who the hell knows? All the other three could be complete dog meat. They have to play a collection of games before you'll ever know.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/igor_sack_v_bears.jpg

I love the picture of former Oregon Duck Igor Olshansky taking it to Grossman!

beakerman
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
One of the best quotes of the draft, when Jaws was talking about Stanton, in a closing statement, he Said the Lions have a lot of work ahead of them with Stanton, and Jaws went on to mention he has studied film on most of Stantons game, and didn't think he threw one spiral...

Thats a pretty good burn from a decent NFL QB in his day....

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I am tempted to bet that Chris Leak beats out Grossman this year.

Charles Woodson
05-01-2007, 08:52 PM

1. Drew Stanton- Although he may not start right at the beginging of the season he will be a force to recon with. This guy has Calvin and roy williams, ya cant really go wrong.

2. Tavaris Jackson- That game against the packers really didnt look good for jackson, but with Peterson, and Taylor NFL defenses will be preparing for the RB and not QB. I think he starts to get the hang of it this season.

3. Rex Grossman- Its a toss up, i still think Rex is below average on a Defenseive superteam but he will get the job done when its all said and done.

1. Stanton

2. Rodgers

3. Grossman

4. Jackson

Merlin
05-02-2007, 07:33 PM

1. Drew Stanton- Although he may not start right at the beginging of the season he will be a force to recon with. This guy has Calvin and roy williams, ya cant really go wrong.

2. Tavaris Jackson- That game against the packers really didnt look good for jackson, but with Peterson, and Taylor NFL defenses will be preparing for the RB and not QB. I think he starts to get the hang of it this season.

3. Rex Grossman- Its a toss up, i still think Rex is below average on a Defenseive superteam but he will get the job done when its all said and done.

1. Stanton

2. Rodgers

3. Grossman

4. Jackson

Although I wish Stanton would be at least in the top 2, HE PLAYS FOR THE LIONS!

Nuf Said...

BEARMAN
05-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Yea, ... you are right, Rex sucks, ... wait, Rex Grossman took the Chicago BEARS to the Superbowl !? Basicaly as a rookie. Now with a game breaking TE, Hester getting his hands on the ball even more, and a "D" that is ever bit as good as they were last year, if not better, Rex has one, ONE full season under his belt, so, yes, DA BEARS will end up on the bottom of the NFCN. WAKE the "F" UP ! and smell the turf, DA BEARS are going back to the SB, and winning it this time ! :twisted:

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
... wait, Rex Grossman took the Chicago BEARS to the Superbowl !?

Not the whole team - he forgot to bring the run defense.

Guiness
05-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, for this season, it's more of a two man race: I expect only Jackson and Grossman will get significant playing time. Both teams have stout defenses, and will not be asked to do much.

I think Jackson will be better this year. Not so much because I think Jackson is better, but because I think Sexy Rexy will continue to suck.

Long term...I don't know that Rex is around long term. Stanton is a total unknown. Jackson has a low ceiling. IF these four are the starting QB's say, three years from now, I think it looks like this:

1. Rodgers
2. Jackson
3. Stanton
4. Grossman

Although I'm not a big Rodgers fan, I think he's had time to mature and learn the game instead of being thrown in. Although I'm not convinced he'll be much more than serviceable, I'm not so sure the others will be even that. Stanton excepted, because who knows?

Patler
05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Yea, ... you are right, Rex sucks, ... wait, Rex Grossman took the Chicago BEARS to the Superbowl !? Basicaly as a rookie. Now with a game breaking TE, Hester getting his hands on the ball even more, and a "D" that is ever bit as good as they were last year, if not better, Rex has one, ONE full season under his belt, so, yes, DA BEARS will end up on the bottom of the NFCN. WAKE the "F" UP ! and smell the turf, DA BEARS are going back to the SB, and winning it this time ! :twisted:

Bearman;

Serious questions here. Will Grossman even keep his job as the starter? Will there be an open competition in preseason for the starting spot? He had some good games last year, but some classic meltdowns, too.

BEARMAN
05-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Seriously, Coach Smith has said it many, many times, Rex Grossman is our Quarterback. He must see something in the kid that the rest of us don't. Personally, I think we should have shopped for a good veteran QB to take us to and WIN this years SB. That's just my .02. :roll:

K-town
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Nostradamus sez:

Tarvaris Jackson = Spergon Wynn
Drew Stanton = Chuck Long
Rex Grossman = Cade McNown
Aaron Rodgers = Rich Campbell

In other words, within 3 years every team in the NFC North will be searching for their next franchise QB.

The Lions haven't had one since Tobin Rote.
The Vikings haven't had a truly consistent QB since Fran Tarkenton (acknowledging the intermittent successes of Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham... and Tommy Kramer :lol: )
The Bears all time QB was Sid Luckman. The next best - snot-blowin' Jim McMahon.
And who else besides me immediately thought of rag-armed, throw-a-checkdown Rich Campbell on Day 1 of the 2005 draft?

I hope I'm wrong.
But only about Rich, er, Aaron Rodgers.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Tarvaris Jackson: Doesn't Dazzle at Minicamp
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Monday, June 4, 2007

Update: Jackson struggled against pressure in Minnesota's mandatory mini camp, which ended on Sunday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Recommendation: It sounds like the reviews of Jackson's mini camp performance were not impressive as he looked indecisive against the blitz and forced passes several times. Maybe this is just a young player learning the offense, but he doesn't enter 2007 in a great situation to develop with a dearth of experience in the receiving corps and pressure on him to succeed right away with only Brooks Bollinger backing him up.

mngolf19
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Monday, June 4, 2007

Update: Jackson struggled against pressure in Minnesota's mandatory mini camp, which ended on Sunday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Recommendation: It sounds like the reviews of Jackson's mini camp performance were not impressive as he looked indecisive against the blitz and forced passes several times. Maybe this is just a young player learning the offense, but he doesn't enter 2007 in a great situation to develop with a dearth of experience in the receiving corps and pressure on him to succeed right away with only Brooks Bollinger backing him up.

And that's why they will have to be even better rushing the ball this year. He is going to have those growing issues this year still.

Creepy
06-05-2007, 02:38 PM
1. Kitna - he has the receivers and he can throw long. Because they have no running game Lions will be 4-10 at week 14 and they will play Stanton tthe last two weeks.

2. Grossman - He will be starter until week 7 or 8, when Griese will take over. Problem is that Griese is no better than Grossman and Bears will finish #2 in the North.

3. Jackson - Showed nothng as a rookie and will not show much again this year. By mid-season it willbe a revobvling door as they try to find a QB. Truthfully I feel Jackson should be #4 as Bollinger will have a better year than him.

As for Rogers, he sits the bench and will not get much playing time as the games will be too close and Fvare will paly a full year. If nothing else he will be the highest paid back-up for another year.

SudsMcBucky
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Face it Bearman, the Bears went to the SB DESPITE Rex, not BECAUSE of him.

CaliforniaCheez
06-05-2007, 07:22 PM
http://i.packers.com/pg/martin_ingle_2006/photo3.jpg

The Legend and Epic Life of Ingle Martin.

Find out all by clicking: http://www.inglemartin.net/index.html

oregonpackfan
06-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Lucky # 7? I would be very surprised.

the_idle_threat
06-06-2007, 12:55 AM
... wait, Rex Grossman took the Chicago BEARS to the Superbowl !?

Not the whole team - he forgot to bring the run defense.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rastak
06-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Monday, June 4, 2007

-After struggling a bit during mini-camp, Tarvaris Jackson looked quite a bit more comfortable today and had a good workout. The team worked a lot inside the 20-yard line and Jackson made several quality decisions and found multiple targets in the end zone during the full team work.

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=E0072B9E-6A1B-43E6-9D4D-507E6B20BA5B

Gotta balance out that Harvey negativity. :)

wist43
06-06-2007, 07:24 AM
The QB's of "the future" in the NFC North??? I don't even know where to begin... they're all so putrid.

I guess Grossman has a shot to be a decent QB, but it's not like he's a guy that can carry a team. If he can learn to "not screw it up", he can ride that running game and defense to some measure of success... but, it won't be b/c he was the difference maker.

Jackson has some ability, but don't know if he can put it together between his ears.

I don't see where the Packers or Lions have anybody on their roster that can play.

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2007, 08:47 AM

That's the homer KFAN blog. My friend, who is a positive type but doesn't like too much homerism, says that blog has become too homeristic since Pellisaro left.
:D

rpiotr01
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I hate to say this is a make or break year for Rodgers especially when he's most likely not going to start in the regular season, but he HAS to show something this pre-season. Coming into last season he was supposedly bigger and looked better than his rookie year, and he did OK in pre-season, but nothing too confidence inspiring. This year he's noticeably bigger and thicker, I can see it in photos. I expect a Romo-like performance out of him this year, where he comes in and looks real good. if not, then there's no reason to think he'll be able to put it together later.

Rastak
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM

That's the homer KFAN blog. My friend, who is a positive type but doesn't like too much homerism, says that blog has become too homeristic since Pellisaro left.

Is he a homer when he reports all the bad stuff? He hasn't been Lori Nickel homer but he points out a little negative and more positive.

RashanGary
06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Grossman *proven to be average starter*
Rodgers *who knows*
Stanton *who knows*
Jackson *worste QB I've ever seen last year*

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Is he a homer when he reports all the bad stuff? He hasn't been Lori Nickel homer but he points out a little negative and more positive.

I'm just telling you what I've heard. It would be like if I quoted Lori Nickel. I don't believe I have.

I'm sure it's more encouraging than the other news. I'm guessing he isn't doing as poorly as some have reported. Some times a negative report goes out for one day of practice, and suddenly every report says the guy is stinking up the joint. I'm guessing he hasn't blown anybody away though.

Rastak
06-06-2007, 09:37 PM

I'm just telling you what I've heard. It would be like if I quoted Lori Nickel. I don't believe I have.

I'm sure it's more encouraging than the other news. I'm guessing he isn't doing as poorly as some have reported. Some times a negative report goes out for one day of practice, and suddenly every report says the guy is stinking up the joint. I'm guessing he hasn't blown anybody away though.

My understanding is that he isn't blowing anyone away. The odds are firmly against him I admit. He has all the tools but that doesn't mean a thing in game situations, so I'll continue to hope and worry at the same time..... :(