View Full Version : JS- Turtle Express --"Packers Stay Away from Bold Moves

Bretsky
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Packers stay away from bold moves
Thompson stays true to conservative ways
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 29, 2007

There were several options available to Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson over the weekend that might have upgraded his roster significantly.

The Packers were not able to swing a trade for Randy Moss. The temperamental wide receiver was traded from Oakland to New England for a fourth-round pick in the NFL draft.
He could have traded for Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss.

He could have traded for Seattle wide receiver Darrell Jackson.

He could have traded for San Diego running back Michael Turner.

He could have traded up in the draft to select running back Marshawn Lynch.

Any one of the four would have been a bold move - a gamble, one might say - given the circumstances. The potential for failure was no small matter.

But Thompson stood pat, choosing to stick to his conservative plan of building almost solely through the draft and forgoing any of the risks his mentor Ron Wolf made while building the franchise into a Super Bowl contender in the 1990s.

And now after three drafts, Thompson's neck would appear to be on the line. His offense arguably isn't any better than it was a year ago and he's potentially a year away from losing the one constant that gives the team hope each season: quarterback Brett Favre.

"What we try to do is everything in our power to try to help make this team as good as it can be," Thompson said Sunday shortly after selecting his 11th and final player of the 2007 draft. "You have to take a lot of things into consideration.

"Sometimes it's an aggressive move; sometimes that aggressive move is not the appropriate time. But you just keep doing everything you can to make the team better. And that's all you can do."

But has Thompson done all he can do?

It's possible his plan to build through the draft will finally show some progress this year with young players pushing up through ranks to raise the overall level of play. But after losing running back Ahman Green and tight end David Martin in free agency, and failing to add a single free agent on offense, Thompson did nothing dynamic in the draft.

In the first round, he sat and watched as Buffalo stole Lynch four spots ahead of him; then sat and watched as Minnesota jumped over him two spots in the second round to take South Carolina receiver Sydney Rice. Carolina then snapped up Southern California receiver Dwayne Jarrett on the next selection, leaving the Packers no choice but to trade down.

Thompson, who was booed by Packers fans for his decision to draft defensive tackle Justin Harrell with his first pick, didn't see any need to move up in the draft to secure a player he wanted, although he said he did try to move forward in the first round to no avail. In both cases, he probably could have overpaid to get what he wanted, but standing pat was more in his nature.

"I am disappointed, not speaking about anything specifically," Thompson said. "I am disappointed on a couple of things that we were working on that didn't work out."

Among those things might have been the acquisition of Moss, the temperamental wide receiver who was dealt to New England for a fourth-round pick. The Packers were in the running for Moss' services, but it appears Moss was more interested in playing for an established winner than taking his chances with the Packers.

ESPN reported that Moss was willing to restructure his contract only for the Patriots, and that any other team would have had to pay him his full $9.75 million this year. In a conference call with New England writers, Moss said that wasn't necessarily true but he made it clear the Patriots had more to offer.

"How many players can you ask in the league that wouldn't want to come up here and play for the New England Patriots?" Moss said.

Asked if he could have done more to get Moss to come to Green Bay, Thompson refused to discuss anything about the Packers' attempt to complete such a deal. If Moss was unwilling to restructure his contract for Green Bay, Thompson wasn't saying. He also wasn't saying whether agreeing to pay Moss the $9.75 million would have landed him the veteran receiver.

Choosing not to take a chance with Moss, Jackson, Turner or anyone else, Thompson added on offense Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson in the second round, receiver James Jones in the third, offensive lineman Allen Barbre in the fourth, receiver David Clowney in the fifth, fullback Korey Hall in the sixth, running back DeShawn Wynn in the seventh and tight end Clark Harris in the seventh.

In assessing where this draft and others left his offense, which in the past two years has lost Green, Martin and receiver Javon Walker, he chose to look at the full picture instead of a single face.

"As a team, the best way and the most consistent way to get better is from within," Thompson said. "I think our own guys have to keep trying to get better, I have to get better, our staff and that sort of thing. I think we have a chance. I think we have a pretty decent group of guys here."

If that's the case, it should start to show this season. It probably needs to for Thompson's sake.

Brainerd
04-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm not a fan of TT and many of his moves but I don't blame him for not being able to get Randy Moss.

esoxx
04-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Hopefully the Turtle Express turns out better than the Cole Train.

Freak Out
04-30-2007, 11:09 PM
LOl.....The Turtle and the Hare.

Patler
04-30-2007, 11:14 PM
To repeat what I posted in another thread.

You could just as easily say the pick of Harrel was a bold move.

GB doesn't NEED a DT.
Harrell could be injured and forgotten by 4 years from now.
Harrell could be an all-pro 4 years from now.

Harrell is certainly not a "safe" pick in the 1st round. TT could have picked any number of players who were safer, who even if they flopped would not expose TT to the criticism he will get if Harrell gets injured again. But, Harrell could have a very significant impact if he does succeed. A good line could become a great one.

I think the selection of Harrell was a very bold move, high potential for failure and significant criticism.

NewsBruin
04-30-2007, 11:27 PM
One thing I've noticed is the difference of opinion among the JS reporters. There's the wait-and-see-them-in-pads camp and the Thompson-did-nothing-dynamic camp.

I understand that the team isn't rebuilt in a day, but I'm leaning to the latter group. I support the team, but what's the defense against the "Who's going to score the touchdowns?" question?

MJZiggy
04-30-2007, 11:34 PM
One thing I've noticed is the difference of opinion among the JS reporters. There's the wait-and-see-them-in-pads camp and the Thompson-did-nothing-dynamic camp.

I understand that the team isn't rebuilt in a day, but I'm leaning to the latter group. I support the team, but what's the defense against the "Who's going to score the touchdowns?" question?

Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Morency, Jackson, Harrell (off of a few interceptions), Clowney, Miree, maybe Brewster, and whichever of the 32 wideouts on the team wins the KR/PR job.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:08 AM
To repeat what I posted in another thread.

You could just as easily say the pick of Harrel was a bold move.

GB doesn't NEED a DT.
Harrell could be injured and forgotten by 4 years from now.
Harrell could be an all-pro 4 years from now.

Harrell is certainly not a "safe" pick in the 1st round. TT could have picked any number of players who were safer, who even if they flopped would not expose TT to the criticism he will get if Harrell gets injured again. But, Harrell could have a very significant impact if he does succeed. A good line could become a great one.

I think the selection of Harrell was a very bold move, high potential for failure and significant criticism.

I just don't see it as a bold pick; I think TT would say that the DL line was as much of a need as other positions and I think he was also using the pick to insure against the chance that Williams leaves. Maybe that's what good GM's do as you noted; but most of the time they are not using a 1st round pick for that unless they are a winning team as Wolf had going.

Some of the posters in here saw the writing on the wall and noted TT will probably go defense because that is how he is building this team. They noted the writing was on the wall before the draft. Defense was what he was building. Adding more talent to the unit that is more advanced IMO could be interpreted as bold or not; I do not look at it that way because the defense would probably be OK with or without Harrell. He just let the draft play out how and took his guy.

The offense needed a top tier RB or WR and a bold move would have been to make a move to find the guy you want.

Refer to Denver and Cleveland. Those were dam bold moves. Make something happen and execute instead of letting things fall to you. Those are bold moves.

A bold move would have been trading up to get Lynch
A bold move would have been trading up to get Jarrett or Rice
A bold move would have been swapping firsts with San Diego for Turner and giving them an extra pick.

I'm not saying those are all good moves, but they require action above and beyond letting the board fall and if you don't like what you see trading down for a couple lesser picks on the board.

Give up a pick, make something happen. That would have been bold, but clearly outside of the box for TT's way of thinking so far.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:12 AM

Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Morency, Jackson, Harrell (off of a few interceptions), Clowney, Miree, maybe Brewster, and whichever of the 32 wideouts on the team wins the KR/PR job.

Can we bring Taco Wallace back just for old times sake ? He might be able to compete :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Trading down seemed to work last year. We gave up a chance at a big name wideout in Chad Jackson and still got Greg Jennings, Jason Spitz, and others. I'll never criticize trading down--because more times than not I think it's the right way to go. I'd rather have that htan Sherm's philosophy. I wasn't sold on Lynch or Jarrett, so I would have liked your moves even less.

BTW, Thompson has spent at least two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick, one 4th round pick, and one 5th round pick on WR alone in his three drafts. That's at least 3 first day picks and 2 early second day picks.

Turner would have been nice, but we have no idea what it would have taken to get him.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Trading down seemed to work last year. We gave up a chance at a big name wideout in Chad Jackson and still got Greg Jennings, Jason Spitz, and others. I'll never criticize trading down--because more times than not I think it's the right way to go. I'd rather have that htan Sherm's philosophy. I wasn't sold on Lynch or Jarrett, so I would have liked your moves even less.

BTW, Thompson has spent at least two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round pick, one 4th round pick, and one 5th round pick on WR alone in his three drafts. That's at least 3 first day picks and 2 early second day picks.

Turner would have been nice, but we have no idea what it would have taken to get him.

They weren't really my moves; I was just giving good examples.

Although, I would have wanted them to move up six picks in round two. I'd have strongly preferred Rice or Jarrett over our 3rd rounder, but I've been wrong many many times before.

I wonder if TT would have ever signed Reggie White. That was a bold move; Ron Wolf was never afraid of those. At times they worked and at times they did not.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Thompson spent big money on Woodson, spent $5M/year on Pickett, tried to go after LaVar Arrington, tried to trade for Randy Moss, was willing to go to $5M/year on Ahman, and was rumored to be after other FAs that he missed out on (Vinatieri last year and others this year). While I'm extremely disappointed that we didn't do more in FA, I don't think you can pigeon-hole Thompson that easily.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:26 AM

Murphy was just bad luck; as a result of that injury Jennings was a must. The Murphy injury set us back surely and we might not have taken a WR that high had Murphy turned out. After letting Walker get away the Jennings pick was a necessity.

I have a hard time even acknowledging Rodgers as a WR for your fourth rounder; he had no ability there and was drafted solely for special teams.
I don't even think you should count him in the mix.

The 3rd and the 5th were this year and show us how empty the kettle is there, even in TT's mind.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
With Thompson's BPA philosophy, I'm not sure about your assumptions.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:34 AM
With Thompson's BPA philosophy, I'm not sure about your assumptions.

Very True

I should not assume anything anymore.

But I'm not sure I really believe he always applies that BPA.

Do you really believe he had James Jones as the BPA in round three ? That one stuck out like a sore thumb as a need pick to me.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Do you really believe he had James Jones as the BPA in round three ? That one stuck out like a sore thumb as a need pick to me.

I have no reason not to believe it. If he didn't, then he likely would think others didn't and would have waited to take him later.