PDA

View Full Version : The Drill

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
The Drill: According to ... Packers beat writer Bob McGinn

Green Bay Packers fans were restless after the National Football League draft. Many of them were looking for some answers and Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer Bob McGinn provided some insight during a JSOnline chat. Here is a sample:

Q: Seriously, will Brett Favre retire before this season starts? Demand a trade? He doesn't deserve this. The Packers keep making false promises to him. GM Ted Thompson is a loser who won't go anywhere with this team. Comments?

A: Favre didn't exactly play great football the last two years. He has as much to prove at 37 going on 38 as anyone on the roster. This is a win-now business, baby, and that means for all 53 guys on the roster.

Q: Do you agree that this draft class, along with the miserable group Ted Thompson acquired in 2005, will ruin the Packers' prospects for years to come?

A: What do you or anyone else know about these players? Not to be rude but give me a break. The '05 draft produced some decent players. Terrence Murphy got hurt. We don't know about Aaron Rodgers. The '06 draft was superb. Do you think that was a pretty talented roster that Thompson inherited in January 2005? Now Thompson and his people have to win. Their players must prove him right. If they don't, he will be gone. But Thompson had a terrific year in 2006 after a lousy year in 2005. We have NO IDEA at this point how he did in 2007.

Q: Do you think selecting Justin Harrell with the No. 16 pick might have been a slight reach?

A: I don't see Harrell in the top 10 even if he had played 13 games in 2006. He's too limited as a pass rusher. Having said that, of the 10 or 11 personnel people that I spoke to regarding Harrell, almost no one had anything bad to say about the guy. He will clog the middle. He could become an effective inside pocket pusher. He is big. He is smart. He's a good kid. And D-linemen are darn hard to find.

Q: Did anyone take Ted Thompson to task for missing out on Randy Moss?

A: Columnists and bloggers and many with microphones took him to task. One thing: Moss is not a sure thing. Get that picture out of your mind right now of Moss killing teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I have talked to many personnel people who have studied him. Not the same guy. Hasn't taken care of his body. Even more timid. Lost a step. If he was a sure thing, the Raiders would have obtained a D1, a D2 or a D3. He is not the same player, and the Patriots will soon discover that. Plus, he is a jerk. A big-time jerk. He pouts. He had 12 on the Wonderlic. He's selfish. He's weird. He won't work out at your facility. Some teams would not want that around.

Zool
05-01-2007, 07:38 AM
The Drill: According to ... Packers beat writer Bob McGinn

Green Bay Packers fans were restless after the National Football League draft. Many of them were looking for some answers and Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer Bob McGinn provided some insight during a JSOnline chat. Here is a sample:

Q: Seriously, will Brett Favre retire before this season starts? Demand a trade? He doesn't deserve this. The Packers keep making false promises to him. GM Ted Thompson is a loser who won't go anywhere with this team. Comments?

A: Favre didn't exactly play great football the last two years. He has as much to prove at 37 going on 38 as anyone on the roster. This is a win-now business, baby, and that means for all 53 guys on the roster.

Q: Do you agree that this draft class, along with the miserable group Ted Thompson acquired in 2005, will ruin the Packers' prospects for years to come?

A: What do you or anyone else know about these players? Not to be rude but give me a break. The '05 draft produced some decent players. Terrence Murphy got hurt. We don't know about Aaron Rodgers. The '06 draft was superb. Do you think that was a pretty talented roster that Thompson inherited in January 2005? Now Thompson and his people have to win. Their players must prove him right. If they don't, he will be gone. But Thompson had a terrific year in 2006 after a lousy year in 2005. We have NO IDEA at this point how he did in 2007.

Q: Do you think selecting Justin Harrell with the No. 16 pick might have been a slight reach?

A: I don't see Harrell in the top 10 even if he had played 13 games in 2006. He's too limited as a pass rusher. Having said that, of the 10 or 11 personnel people that I spoke to regarding Harrell, almost no one had anything bad to say about the guy. He will clog the middle. He could become an effective inside pocket pusher. He is big. He is smart. He's a good kid. And D-linemen are darn hard to find.

Q: Did anyone take Ted Thompson to task for missing out on Randy Moss?

A: Columnists and bloggers and many with microphones took him to task. One thing: Moss is not a sure thing. Get that picture out of your mind right now of Moss killing teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I have talked to many personnel people who have studied him. Not the same guy. Hasn't taken care of his body. Even more timid. Lost a step. If he was a sure thing, the Raiders would have obtained a D1, a D2 or a D3. He is not the same player, and the Patriots will soon discover that. Plus, he is a jerk. A big-time jerk. He pouts. He had 12 on the Wonderlic. He's selfish. He's weird. He won't work out at your facility. Some teams would not want that around.

HAHAHA. Exactly McGinn....Exactly.

GrnBay007
05-01-2007, 07:44 AM

Are we sure TT is aware of this? :idea: