PDA

View Full Version : Im loving the new D! :)

Tony Oday
05-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I know I know we should have went flashy and got stud playmakers in the draft but I like the way TT went. He stayed away from the flash and got what wins football games, defense. we all know that a stud rookie WR is hard to come by. Yes there are exceptions to the rule I agree but it seems that most rookie WR are good for the first half of the season then start to hit that rookie wall. I mean think about this defense:

DE Kamp
DT Harrell
DT Pickett/ Jenkins
DE Jenkins/KGB
OLB Hawk
MLB Barnett
OLB :( Popp (im really hoping he steps it up)
CB Woodson
CB Harris
NB Walker
S Collins
S Rouse

I think this has the makings of a VERY nice defense. If Harrell can do what we all hope, Hawk and Pop improve and swarm to the ball since the fat boys up front can keep them clean, Jenkins, Kamp and the assassin(KGB) start lighting up QBs this will make our secondary look even better. Stud CBs on the field and Collins has his best year ;)

With all of this it takes a huge weight off of Favre's shoulders. Our running game is predicated by being able to take later round one cut talent at RB and turning them into studs. Our WR though not the greatest we still have DD and Jennings with a bunch of guys ready to play their guts out to make the team. TE is a weak spot but damn if I dont think Bubba can play up to an average level. The O line had a full year together. I am really excited about this team this year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
I think that's what TT is hoping for. Build a great defense, and know that with Favre they'll likely be at least decent on offense.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I agree the defense should be very solid; if there was one BPA I was hoping we might snag it was Willis. I think he could have been a solid player at any position. But San Fran was in love with that guy.

I just can't bring myself to believe Poppinga is starting caliber. I hope he proves me wrong.

Tony Oday
05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I agree the defense should be very solid; if there was one BPA I was hoping we might snag it was Willis. I think he could have been a solid player at any position. But San Fran was in love with that guy.

I just can't bring myself to believe Poppinga is starting caliber. I hope he proves me wrong.

Ditto on Popp but you know it looks like we signed some young Street FA guys that have some character issues and there is nothing like not getting drafted to give you a wake up call...i mean its either keep your nose clean or work a drive up window...

3irty1
05-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Kinda doubt that Rouse will start this year. Hope I'm wrong because he sounds like a great prospect.

I kinda like Popp actually. He looked alright last year and he could be an overachiever with all the new kids that are gunning for his job :)

Brohm
05-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Spencer Havner has the size/speed to play strong side and push Popps. He was recovering from injury last year so went undrafted and got picked up by the Pack after TC with the Skins. He was a beast in college, I hope a year with the Packer trainers gets him back in shape and the light clikcs on for him.

Otherwise, we did pick up some nice RFA's post draft that could be in the mix.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Spencer Havner has the size/speed to play strong side and push Popps. He was recovering from injury last year so went undrafted and got picked up by the Pack after TC with the Skins. He was a beast in college

I read about him. His self confidence is crushed and he is only looking to make the roster as a special teamer. His hometown press were big on him, projecting he go in the second.

UFA for the 'skins IIRC. Cut during camp. Well, I hope he finds his college form!

run pMc
05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I also like that TT is improving the D.

I don't think Rouse will be the starting S. I think Culver or Underwood are more likely to start if Manuel doesn't bounce back. Popp is a candidate for replacing...TT is bringing in a bunch of LB's (Bishop, the rookie FA's) so we'll see if they can make a push for playing time.

Havner is intriguing...forgot about him...

pbmax
05-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Agree D should be even better, Pop and Hawk will play better. Harrell is an upgrade. But Rouse isn't starting. Much more likely to be Manuel or Blackmon, maybe Culver.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I think the D will be better because they will have the same team playing together again. I don't think Harrell will be a full time starter with Picket rotating. Picket is pretty fast for a fat boy and he does get pressure up the middle. Harrell is a run stuffer from what I understand so having him in on passing situations when we have better options probably won't happen. This of course is if the guy can stay healthy and his injury doesn't affect him as it did many other players, most is ended their careers.

oregonpackfan
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Having more quality players on the D-line will allow the Packers to rotate fresh bodies in and out of the lineup during game time.

I also feel the overall quality of the defense will improve this year.

Partial
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I think the D will be better because they will have the same team playing together again. I don't think Harrell will be a full time starter with Picket rotating. Picket is pretty fast for a fat boy and he does get pressure up the middle. Harrell is a run stuffer from what I understand so having him in on passing situations when we have better options probably won't happen. This of course is if the guy can stay healthy and his injury doesn't affect him as it did many other players, most is ended their careers.

Harrell is going to start at the 3. He is a smaller DT who doesn't get a lot of sacks but more importantly gets good penetration and is slippery for defenders, and has very long arms for leverage.

packers11
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
To bad we couldn't get Harrell and Nelson :lol:

All I know is ill be watching a lot of JAGS games on NFL ticket to see if he was all that I hyped him up to be...

BUT... What we have now is good, and the D is better than last year...

Merlin
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
You are making a huge leap of faith on this one. You are assuming he will be healthy, remain healthy (his history says he will not and don't blame the messenger), and that he will beat out existing players. I have no doubts he will make the rotation, I just don't see him as an upgrade over anyone else or taking anyone's starting job away from them. Having a deep DL does wonders for the competition for positions as well as the egos of those playing the positions.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 01:08 PM

All I know is ill be watching a lot of JAGS games on NFL ticket to see if he was all that I hyped him up to be...

On paper, but we'll see how they play against much better offenses than last season.

You guys seem to have forgotten the Bob Sanders and Kurt shoettenheimer hate from last season. Read the archives.... D had problems throughout the year. I think they'll step up better than the Offense will this year, but... well we'll see.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-01-2007, 01:46 PM

On paper, but we'll see how they play against much better offenses than last season.

You guys seem to have forgotten the Bob Sanders and Kurt shoettenheimer hate from last season. Read the archives.... D had problems throughout the year. I think they'll step up better than the Offense will this year, but... well we'll see.

Good point.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 01:54 PM

Good point.

:shock: :shock: You agreed with ME.... Hell, hold on, the earth is about to tilt on it's axis... :shock:

Wish I could be more positive, but just can't see it today.... Maybe after a few weeks of training camp? Maybe after a "competitive" showing against Philadelphia in game one? Maybe. :( Maybe not. :cry:

wist43
05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
They had better be better...

They've got 5 1st round picks on that D - Pickett, Harrell, Hawk, Barnett, and Woodson.

They've got millions invested in 3 up front guys that weren't first rounders - KGB, Jenkins, and Kampman.

And they've got two more guys that were 2nd rounders - Collins and Harris.

That's 10 guys on that side of the ball that are either 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, or they're being paid like it.

That said, there really aren't any game changing play makers, and the scheme they run is passive, predictable and inflexible. Blitzing in this scheme is pretty much a waste of time...

Without blitzing being a key component, I don't see how they can generate consistent enough pressure to be a legitimate SB calibur defense... but, they should be better.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
They've got millions invested in 3 up front guys that weren't first rounders - KGB, Jenkins, and Kampman.

Two of them are other team's first round picks and three were our own first rounders. I'd be shocked if most teams didn't have 3 of their own first round picks starting on defense. I guess I don't get that point.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
That said, there really aren't any game changing play makers, and the scheme they run is passive, predictable and inflexible. Blitzing in this scheme is pretty much a waste of time...

Without blitzing being a key component, I don't see how they can generate consistent enough pressure to be a legitimate SB calibur defense... but, they should be better.

The blitz will be important this year. Especially in our division and against inexperienced QBs.

woodbuck27
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Yaa yaa !!

We got Rouse in the draft but two fells's named Underwood and Culver may have some input on his impact on the team in 2007.

Also, don't forget that TT's man Marquand Manuel is still in the picture, and it may take alot for TT to say bye bye to him. :)

I hoped that we'd get a CB in the draft.

Maybe Will Blackmon will come through at nickle (slash) dime.

I don't hold alot of faith in Walker.

I was intrigued with TT taking two candidates (maybe three including Rouse) at LBer in the draft. There will be a battle there.

ND72
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
DE Kamp
DT Harrell
DT Pickett/ Jenkins
DE Jenkins/KGB
OLB Hawk
MLB Barnett
OLB :( Popp (im really hoping he steps it up)
CB Woodson
CB Harris
NB Walker
S Collins
S Rouse

I think you're forgetting about Corey Williams. And Rouse won't start this year. Collins, Manuel, Culver, and Underwood will get the first opportunity before a Rookie does, especially since the SS is the one making all the covereage calls on our defense.

Partial
05-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you guys sure that Rouse is going to play safety? I could see them using him at SLB if they can get him to bulk up a little bit. Big time hitter, weak in coverage, with linebacker size smells of linebacker to me.

Especially given the theme of speedy linebackers that are excellent in coverage for our scheme.

I'm not saying it will happen; I doubt it will. But its something that would be interesting to consider and look at.

esoxx
05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Whatever happened to Jolly? So many people on here were high on him all off-season and now not barely a mention. Funny how that goes.

wist43
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Whatever happened to Jolly? So many people on here were high on him all off-season and now not barely a mention. Funny how that goes.

Jolly is the main reason I find Harrell to a bit of a head scratcher...

Ironically, Prisco uses Jolly as an "NFL comparison" to size up Harrell... there was a general consensus that Jolly would have been a much higher pick had he not had the ankle problems.

His injury did carry into the offseason and into camp though, so that may be why he dropped and Harrell didn't.

wist43
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Are you guys sure that Rouse is going to play safety? I could see them using him at SLB if they can get him to bulk up a little bit. Big time hitter, weak in coverage, with linebacker size smells of linebacker to me.

Especially given the theme of speedy linebackers that are excellent in coverage for our scheme.

I'm not saying it will happen; I doubt it will. But its something that would be interesting to consider and look at.

TT already said Rouse is going to play SS.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 03:22 PM

TT already said Rouse is going to play SS.

It sounds like he has been a much better safety than LB.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Jolly is the main reason I find Harrell to a bit of a head scratcher...

Ironically, Prisco uses Jolly as an "NFL comparison" to size up Harrell... there was a general consensus that Jolly would have been a much higher pick had he not had the ankle problems.

The comparisons aren't always meant to be exact. Prisco loved the Harrell pick. I doubt he would have felt the same way about Jolly going at pick #16. I found it to be a strange comparison. I haven't seen enough of Jolly to think he's better than the likes of Colin Cole. Harrell better be way better than that. If Jolly develops, then great. That would be one nice four-man rotation at DT.

RashanGary
05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Colin Cole is not a good football player IMO. He is the Antonio Chatman of DT's. He does what he has to but he'll always be a guy that you wish wasn't on the field.

With that said, I think Jolly will still see the feild and I do like him.

Starting DT's get 60% of the snaps. I think Harrell, Williams and Pickett are starters. They each get 60% which is 180% of the combined 200%. JOlly gets the other 20% and is there for the injury's. INjurys WILL happen at DT. Last year all of our DT's were down for some period of time. It will happen again.

That said, when healthy I think this group can be difference makers.

In pass rush situations you get Williams/Harrell. In run situations you have Pickett/Harrell. In normal situations you have the sole pass rusher and the sole run stuffer in Pickett/Williams.

The Defesnive tackle position can have a huge impact on the game. Jolly will still get 20% of the snaps when everyone is healthy and he'll likely be playing a lot more becasue one guy is often hurt. I'm suprised at how little people here think of defense. Tough defenses are so hard to win against. It just suprises me how blind people are to what I consider the most important element to a football team *DEFENSE*

I think this is a GREAT pick. Denver wanted him, SD wanted him, many teams were in love with our guy. Thomposn was obviously in love with him. I am excited to see what he brings to our team.

Tony Oday
05-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Rouse will start...write that down ;)