PDA

View Full Version : Why The Pack WILL be Competetive THIS Season

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 04:52 AM
This is a very basic way to look at it, but footbal is a game of executing the fundamentals.

There are 3 main aspects to winning at football.

1. Scoring Points. That's done by what's know as an "offense".

2. Defending Against Points Being Scored. That's done by what's known as a "defense".

3. Ensuring Optimal Field Position. That's done by what's known as "Special Teams".

Last season, our beloved team began terrible in all 3 phases of the sport. This led us to significant losses early.

But, as our defense began to gel together, wins came. These wins came DESPITE the little, or non improvement in the other 2 facets of our game.

This is an important observation, because of two conclusions that seem obvious:

1. We began to beat lousy teams by firing on only a single cylinder

2. It suggests if we improve only in one othe area, we will be able to win against average teams, going forward.

Did we improbe on offense during the draft or FA? Not obviously.

Did we improve on defense during the draft or FA? No doubt in my mind.

Did we improve on ST during the draft or FA? No doubt in my mind.

Last year, we had so many 3-&-outs, but couldn't return the favour, and even when we did, we were pinned down in our own half.

If we do nothing else but keep their defense on the field as often as our own and significantly improve our starting position on drives, i.e. reduce the other teams starting position on their drives, we have a solid foundation for our offense to make the most of any given situation.

The marked improvement to our offense that so many are missing (and rightly so) may not be absolutely necessary to win games. In fact, it is my opinion that by firing on dual cylinders this year will get us over .500 and maybe more.

Very basic stuff.

Have a nice day.

LL2
05-01-2007, 06:46 AM
I like the optmism from or Euro Rat!

mmmdk
05-01-2007, 07:36 AM
I like the optmism from or Euro Rat!

Hey, I'm the Euro rat 8-)

I am beginning go into my Mulder mode - I WANT TO BELIEVE and beyond - there's nothing else to hang my hat onto. I just gotta believe that TT & McCarthy are geniuses; they have a plan and they stick to it. Let's see where we are in january 2008.

When Denmark lost Southern Jutland in the war with Germany in 1864, a famous Dane named Dalgas said:"What was lost outwards must be won inwards". Translated to this Packer offseason; Packers won no big names in FA or the draft but are counting on winning with the guys within the Packers. There you go people! Denmark got southern Jutland after WWI in 1920 and Packers will prevail mucho, mucho faster than that...Packers will win more games in the 2007 season 'cos that's what I want to happen.

My rational mind says otherwise though but I have decided to WANT a winning season, damnit I demand it - for the love of all Packer fans world wide. I've gone from "Packers are toast to I want to believe to I demand winning improvement in 2007".

No, I do not drink kool-aid and I never will - I am currently drinking coffee with a splash of milk. There! No kool-aid thank you very much, I hate that phoney stuff, kool-aid has the taste of self proclaimed tyrannizing positive bable.

That's what the Euro rat stands for!

PS - Tarlam, this is no Denmark vs Germany thing.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 07:54 AM

I couldn't be left colder if it were! I am an Aussie, and damned proud of it!! If you want to tease the Germans, you need to get in line behind me, my friend!!

BTW, I have booked a week in August in Harboore. Nice big house with a huge yard, directly on the water. My first vacation in Denmark!

mmmdk
05-01-2007, 08:06 AM

I couldn't be left colder if it were! I am an Aussie, and damned proud of it!! If you want to tease the Germans, you need to get in line behind me, my friend!!

BTW, I have booked a week in August in Harboore. Nice big house with a huge yard, directly on the water. My first vacation in Denmark!

That's funny - I'll be close by in a country house in august - say 20 km. Harboøre is pretty close to Spøttrup; that's is where my family have a country house. We haven't decided what week yet though.

I forgot you were an Aussie - more power to you 8-) I don't pick on Germnany much - it's too easy and most Europeans do it so it's kinda lame at times.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Cool. Can I come visit?
:D

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I think we will be competitive, possibly 8-8 and we will beat some teams we shouldn't. That won't be because of TT, it will be because of McCarthy's game planning. If you watch his offense, he does have a tendency to keep at a "type" of play that is working in the game. He doesn't follow a "plan" when it's failing. That being said, this was evident towards the end of the season and a hard lesson he learned from the beginning of the season.

We have players with big heart and a lot of drive. That alone will win us games.

Packnut
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
This is a very basic way to look at it, but footbal is a game of executing the fundamentals.

There are 3 main aspects to winning at football.

1. Scoring Points. That's done by what's know as an "offense".

2. Defending Against Points Being Scored. That's done by what's known as a "defense".

3. Ensuring Optimal Field Position. That's done by what's known as "Special Teams".

Last season, our beloved team began terrible in all 3 phases of the sport. This led us to significant losses early.

But, as our defense began to gel together, wins came. These wins came DESPITE the little, or non improvement in the other 2 facets of our game.

This is an important observation, because of two conclusions that seem obvious:

1. We began to beat lousy teams by firing on only a single cylinder

2. It suggests if we improve only in one othe area, we will be able to win against average teams, going forward.

Did we improbe on offense during the draft or FA? Not obviously.

Did we improve on defense during the draft or FA? No doubt in my mind.

Did we improve on ST during the draft or FA? No doubt in my mind.

Last year, we had so many 3-&-outs, but couldn't return the favour, and even when we did, we were pinned down in our own half.

If we do nothing else but keep their defense on the field as often as our own and significantly improve our starting position on drives, i.e. reduce the other teams starting position on their drives, we have a solid foundation for our offense to make the most of any given situation.

The marked improvement to our offense that so many are missing (and rightly so) may not be absolutely necessary to win games. In fact, it is my opinion that by firing on dual cylinders this year will get us over .500 and maybe more.

Very basic stuff.

Have a nice day.

Red zone offense is also a very basic thing. What has been done to change it's lack of success? Until you guys come up with a real answer for this, all the kool-aid-half glass full analysis means nothing.

Moving the ball in between the 20's is great but if you can't score, it means nothing. Again, "what if the real Bubba returns means nothing" cause it's just wishfull thinking. Can't win if you can't score..........

mmmdk
05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Cool. Can I come visit?

Only if you eat fish and lots of it - Harboøre is fisher "country".

ahaha
The Packers finished 8th in offense last year(YPG). They were able to move the ball well. It was the red zone that was the problem.

Tarlam!
Cool. Can I come visit?

Don't forget, Harv, arriving the 6th....

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Our red zone offense for years revolved around strong TE performance, whether it be catching a pass or blocking. We haven't had that presence in two years. The play calling last year should have been modified because it was obvious that our TE's couldn't catch a cold. I think they should have moved Henderson to TE but I don't get to make those decisions.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Red zone offense is also a very basic thing. What has been done to change it's lack of success? Until you guys come up with a real answer for this, all the kool-aid-half glass full analysis means nothing.

Moving the ball in between the 20's is great but if you can't score, it means nothing. Again, "what if the real Bubba returns means nothing" cause it's just wishfull thinking. Can't win if you can't score..........

Ah. See, if the offence can at least make sure the kicking unit has a chance, we will score. And, if the other two cylindars keep firing, we will stop the other team from outscoring us. Plus, a great, ball hawking defense can put points on the board.

That, at least, is the theory.

I admit, after the Golden Years, this isn't what we're used to.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 09:43 AM

What time are you getting in? Maybe we should get us, Rastak, superfan, Cheesehead Craig and others together for some drinks.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
My theory has not even addressed potential improvements in the O-Line that will allow the TE not to block as often as last year.

This observation, very astute, wa not mine. I read it from another poster, who's identity slips my memory. Sorry, I can't pass on the props.

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 09:46 AM

What time are you getting in? Maybe we should get us, Rastak, superfan, Cheesehead Craig and others together for some drinks.

I will PM my itinerary between now and Sunday, so we can plan something. I am there all week.

mmmdk
05-01-2007, 09:47 AM

They're in Europe? Finally, they're are coming home (to Europa)... :lol:

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:48 AM
I am confident in our offensive line right now. I think they came along learning a new scheme as well as to be expected. I know that in the running game, Morency hit the right hole on his cut more times then Green did. I think Green struggled to find the right hole last season. AS far as pass protection, again, having the same players together again makes a big difference. Tauscher and Clifton have to step up though because no one should be getting by those two. the TE should be free this season with the backs picking up the blitz.

oregonpackfan
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I feel confident the Packers could end up 9-7 or 10-6 for these reasons:

1. The second year of a new Head Coach and his coordinators/assistants

2. Stronger offensive line

3. stronger defensive line

4. another year together by the linebackers

5. another year together for our corners.

The biggest concerns appear to be tailback and receivers. If the Packers cannot get their running game going it will result in Favre taking more chances in his passing to "Make something happen." That approach invariably results in more interceptions.

The Packers schedule will be tougher but I believe the Packers' quality of play will be better.