PDA

View Full Version : Knowing now...

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
The Draft is over, FA's have been signed.
Knowing what we know now, do any of you think that if Lynch had been still available, would TT have chosen him?

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but it's becoming clear that he had his eye on Harrell as well.

ND72
05-01-2007, 09:04 AM
I think he would have. I read in the Press-Gazette that he had Lynch & Harrell on the top of his board, which was #1, who knows.

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Makes me feel abit better knowing, there was a plan. Still wished he's have shored up the O.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't think he would have taken Lynch. He had a hard on for Harrell and I think the only conundrum for him was whether or not to take Quinn because he was the BPA and fell into his lap. I believe the reason he didn't take Quinn was because he won't admit Rodgers was a mistake. Having Quinn would have opened up some other doors for trading picks, etc. and chances are, Harrell would have been there when we selected in the second round. TT didn't want to do the right thing, he wanted to do his thing. No way would he pick Lynch simply because that's who everyone thought he should take.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
One positive thing came out of this TT picked 7 out off 11 picks on Offense. They answered their WR need in Clowney and Jones. 2 Running backs although not the highly touted ones. Its clear to me that the Packers are going to have rotation of Backs this year. Brandon Jackson was in rotation in college so the transtion should be a smooth one. That's why I doubt they even looked at Lynch. TT has even said that he rarely looks at mock drafts. TT drafted players mainly to fit in the system.

Look at whom Minnesota picked RB Peterson. With Harrell (sp) our first pick a DT who stops the run, should counter Peterson. Not a bad pick up. Our top RB in Lynch (if he was even considered) was gone, We got good value with the WR we got. We did pick up a OT along the way. Don't forget the K. Could be another Ryan Longwell 10+ years with team.

Overall not bad!

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Drafting someone because your rivals drafted someone is not a smart way to run a team, especially when the guy you picked to stop him has an injury history and can't stay on the field at the college level. Drafting some kind of kicker is normal but I am sold on Rayner at this point. He has the leg and his accuracy is coming around. I see him as more accurate then Longwell and able to hit the 50+ yarders consistantly. I had the opportunity to see both him and Longwell in the dome and Longwell was dropping short from 50+ and Rayner was hitting 65 yarders.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Lynch, and I'm coming to the thinking that you can get by with two decent backups. You don't need a stud. Sure, it would be nice to have LT or Shaun Alexander, but those guys are hard to find. Outside of those two, RBs don't seem to make a huge difference. Edge didn't do much for Arizona, Portis hasn't done much for Washington, Buffalo shipped McGahee off, Brown didn't do much for Miami, etc. The teams that won last year didn't really have a superstud RB. Chicago won with Jones and Benson. NE with Dillon and Maroney. Indy with Rhodes and Addai. NO with McAllister and Bush (who formed a good combination because of their different skill set). I'd much rather have a stud DT over a stud RB--unless the stud RB is LT or Marshall Faulk. Lynch isn't LT or Marshall Faulk.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I think he would have. Lynch would have given us both a dynamic running back and a receiver. Two things we really needed. I'll call it right now that he's the rookie of the year in Buffalo. It's one of the only situations where he can step in and take the full load himself. He could have done that here too.

That being said this DT could single handedly give us a formidable defense by freeing up our sick LB's to make big plays. Plus TT has to put his faith in our ZBS which could allow an ok guy like Brandon Jackson to be solid RB in the NFL. The fact that Lynch was off the board makes TT look a LOT better if he always intended on drafting Harrell.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Drafting someone because your rivals drafted someone is not a smart way to run a team, especially when the guy you picked to stop him has an injury history and can't stay on the field at the college level. Drafting some kind of kicker is normal but I am sold on Rayner at this point. He has the leg and his accuracy is coming around. I see him as more accurate then Longwell and able to hit the 50+ yarders consistantly. I had the opportunity to see both him and Longwell in the dome and Longwell was dropping short from 50+ and Rayner was hitting 65 yarders.

Trying to understand TT logic here in selecting Harrell. I believe that Lynch was probably TT guy at RB and would have taken him if he was still there. The WR selection in the first was not an option because this draft was very deep in the postion. TE was opbviously not a serious first round need. When you can get a DT in the first do it. Yes he was injured. But alot of guys get injured, The question is it "Chronic" if it IS then I'd worry. If not then no problem. The medical staff checked him out. Throgh the interviews I heard from MMM and TT they really liked Harrell.

In drafting Hawk last year OLB and now DT Harrell TT has addressed that he wants the Defense to get better. The fact that they drafted 7 out 11 picks on Offense suggests that he got WR and RB needs taken care of. Right now he knows with Brett they are going to score points. My prediction when Brett does hang it up TT willl draft Offense in the 1st round for the next 3-5 years under Rodgers to help him out.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Oh I understand his logic. I don't think he would have taken Lynch. Don't get me wrong, I like the potential that Harrell has. I think he would have been around in the 2nd round and I think TT could have used the #1 pick more wisely.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Oh I understand his logic. I don't think he would have taken Lynch. Don't get me wrong, I like the potential that Harrell has. I think he would have been around in the 2nd round and I think TT could have used the #1 pick more wisely.

Who would you have picked?

Merlin
05-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I think we should have either taken Quinn or traded down or out of the first round. With Quinn you had some trade value (either him or Rodgers) and I didn't see anyone after the top 10 that was worthy of a first round pick accept Quinn. It's no secret that I am not a Rodgers fan so to me bringing in Quinn even to compete with Martin and Rodgers would have been worth the pick. Someone would have been traded. If it was Quinn, he would have had a big trade value, unfortunately, we would have to have bitten the bullet with Rodgers because I doubt anyone would have given us anything higher then a 3rd for him.

Favre probably won't play past this season because of TT and his "no offense" philosophy. Rodgers will be a bust in 2008 and then we won't have anyone. Quinn would have been some nice insurance. But, more picks in the 2nd & 3rd could have yielded us some potential starters and Harrell as well. I just don't think TT thought out the situation he was in very well.

ahaha
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
No chance in hell that Harrell would have been available in the 2nd round.

Lurker64
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
No chance in hell that Harrell would have been available in the 2nd round.

He was apparently #2 on Denver's board after Jamal Anderson (Jarvis Moss was #3), so there's a 0% chance he would have been available after Denver picked.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Disagree that he would have been around in the 2nd round. Denver clearly wanted him, and there were reports that Cincinnati wanted him as well.

I think this belief, or understanding is why he stayed put at 16. I agree that he had "locked" on to Harrell...

I do not think he'd have taken Lynch.

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I know that Lynch came to GB, was given a mediacal go. Did they bring in Harrell for a look?

Merlin
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Then I say let Denver have him. I wouldn't have taken the guy in the first, his history isn't worthy of a first round contract. That's the part I seem to get a lot of shit for. I like Harrell, I think he has some real potential. People never read that part. They just see that I disagree that he was worth a first round selection. Given his history I don't think he should have gone higher then high in the 3rd maybe low 2nd. I heard the argument that he was the 3rd best DT in the draft. That scares me that the 3rd best DT in the draft was out most of 2006. What does that say about the DT class in this draft? He has a serious injury. A torn bicep has ended many DT careers. He may recover he may not he may be just fine, I don't know that. But anyone who thinks it wasn't a gamble to take him that high based on some unknowns isn't thinking straight. I don't care that he passed a physical with our team doctors or whatever. It's obvious that if you can't pass one of those that you are in very poor shape. Murphy passed the physical to.

Chubbyhubby
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I was hoping for Quinn as well. When I found out that Quinn was Hawks brother in law I was l ike COOL we need to get him. I was suprised like everyone else that he fell that far. We had an oppounity to get him. I believe however that Rodgers is TT's guy. Sink or Swim approach. In 2008 when Rodgers starts and he sucks then we will all go back to this years draft and say "What if"

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
You can spend about a nanosecond on 'what ifs', after that it's useless time spent.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
That's a "what if" that I don't want to experience! My hope is that Martin gets a serious look because he has a stronger arm the Rodgers and sue me, I like the gunslinger mentality and he has it. Otherwise there is always Andre Woodson from Kentucky next year. I try to watch him every opportunity I get, he seems like he would make a very good NFL QB.

I am happy that Quinn went to the Browns because that's what he wanted. I think he was the most NFL ready QB in the draft and I think he would have immediately proven or disproved Rodgers ability to play the NFL game if he were in our camp.

woodbuck27
05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think he would have taken Lynch. He had a hard on for Harrell and I think the only conundrum for him was whether or not to take Quinn because he was the BPA and fell into his lap. I believe the reason he didn't take Quinn was because he won't admit Rodgers was a mistake. Having Quinn would have opened up some other doors for trading picks, etc. and chances are, Harrell would have been there when we selected in the second round. TT didn't want to do the right thing, he wanted to do his thing. No way would he pick Lynch simply because that's who everyone thought he should take.

Yup. TT's got a false ego bigger than a baboon's balls.

Ted Thompson would just say he got his man.

If Marshawn Lynch would have been there at #16; then that would have placed certain pressure on him though and I hoped for that pressure.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Yup. TT's got a false ego bigger than a baboon's balls.

:shock: That was a visual I didn't need.

He's clearly arrogant, that's for sure.

wist43
05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
TT wouldn't draft a player at a position of need unless he's absolutely forced to.

If he does what everybody thinks he should do, then he's no smarter than the rest of us...

As Jason Wilde said... TT's drafts smack of, "we're smarterism".

retailguy
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
TT wouldn't draft a player at a position of need unless he's absolutely forced to.

If he does what everybody thinks he should do, then he's no smarter than the rest of us...

Sometimes really smart people are stupid.

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 02:33 PM

Sometimes really smart people are stupid.

We are now all 'covered'. :lol: