PDA

View Full Version : Rouse just interviewed on cold pizza

3irty1
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
They just interviewed Aaron Rouse on cold pizza. He basically just talked about the VT shootings and about how he was star-struck to play with Favre. They also said that his Dad is serving a long prison sentence for murder. Lets hope the apple didn't fall far from the tree but he keeps his murders on the field.

LL2
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Hopefully he will turn out to be a great safety and push Manual to a back up role. Wasn't mcKenzie a 3rd rd pick and was a starter his rookie year? f so, it can happen with this guy.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I am praying he is Leroy Butler II. I think this season will be the deciding one for Nick Collins. He will either show he is the real deal or he will become part of the NFL's mediocrity. If it's the former and Rouse wins the opposite role and plays as well as Collins did his rookie year, then the secondary will rock.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Nick Collins played well his rookie year and the second half of last year. Get used to him starting for the Packers.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I hope you are right. I hope that the first half of the season was because of the DC change and him being a young player. He needs to be consistent though and that's the part I am worried about. If Rouse can pull it off, I think we have the potential to have a deadly secondary. Frank Walker? Is that they guy we signed? What's the 411 on him?

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
He wasn't nearly as bad as people made him about to be. He gave up a couple of plays, but it was Manuel, Carroll, and Poppinga who were terrible in coverage. He's a good player. I feel as good about him as I did when Darren Sharper was a young player. He's been much better than Sharper was his first three years, and I was spot on about Sharper eventually becoming a good player. He's the least of my worries.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Well if Manual remains the starter, our secondary will look like crap. Like I said, I think early on it was the change in DC and obviously I forget our old pal Shittenheiny coaching. My understanding was that his role was reduced during the season and I am sure that had a lot to do with the secondaries performance the second half. Manual just isn't any good.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Well if Manual remains the starter

True. Conversely, if Blackmon and Underwood or Rouse step up, the secondary could be really good.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I thought it was Culver? Oh well, we are stocked at safety so hopefully we can get rid of Manual without too much pain.

pittstang5
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I like the Rouse pick, but don't forget about Underwood. If he can stay healthy, I'm banking on him beating out Manuel for the starting spot opposite Collins. Not to get a little too off topic, I'm really curious how things will play out in Traing camp at the safety position. Barring injuries, Collins is a lock, but the competition for the other spots will be between Rouse, Culver, Underwood, Manuel and the other guy...Peprah or something. Do they keep 5 safeties? Does TT admit that Manuel wasn't a good pick up and let him go?

As for Rouse, unless he absolutely sucks in TC, he'll stay on the roster. I don't see him as a starter any time soon, at least not this year and probably not next year either. I think he'll play mainly on special teams and hopefully be a beast there. It'll be some good competition.

packers11
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I know the draft is over... But is it just me or do a lot of you also think Collins would be a better SS??? He never gets run over by any big rb/wr and makes most of his tackles... Thats why I was really pulling for Nelson, because I didn't think Collins would have trouble at the SS role...

But now that the draft is over, its out of the question...
But what do you guys think? Would he have been "big" enough for the SS role?

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Well if it's any consolation about Peporah, he plays well on Madden 07!

I never heard of him until they updated the rosters on Madden though :oops:

packers11
05-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Well if it's any consolation about Peporah, he plays well on Madden 07!

I never heard of him until they updated the rosters on Madden though :oops:

HAHA he was my "Gem" in madden... Him and Dendy would always return a couple INTS... Then my friends would blast off how they were "nonamers"... I insisted they both made the pro bowl :lol: (which wasn't believable) haha...

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Peprah is intriguing. 5th round pick of the Giants last year. Good kid. We'll see. I don't think Thompson will have any problems jettisoning Manuel. He did with Mark Roman, and I don't but that it was because Roman was a Sherman guy. Thompson doesn't seem too tied to his guys (see Cory Rodgers last year).

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Roman would have been an upgrade to Manual!

I actually thought Roman played well in 2005, 2004 he sucked though. I thought he was serviceable.

I disagree that he has no problems getting rid of his guys though. I think TT will hand onto Manual longer then he should because he is his guy. I personally believe the only reason Favre is still here is because TT knows that he is the one player that's untouchable.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't buy it.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Most people don't but hey that's okay. If we all agreed how boring would that be?

Tarlam!
05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Most people don't but hey that's okay. If we all agreed how boring would that be?

Marquand was injured when he came in and took a LONG time to adjust. He's not stupid, so his self confidence took more of a beating than our team!

I think we'll be witness to his ability this season and if that was all he had, well, to little upside.

Nice paycheck, though!

pittstang5
05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Peprah is intriguing. 5th round pick of the Giants last year. Good kid. We'll see. I don't think Thompson will have any problems jettisoning Manuel. He did with Mark Roman, and I don't but that it was because Roman was a Sherman guy. Thompson doesn't seem too tied to his guys (see Cory Rodgers last year).

True, but I thought I remember an interview or something from Thompson saying that it was the injury early in the year and playing in a new system that hindered Manual's development. But TT could just be saying that to justify the reason why he brought him to GB. I just get this feeling, TT gives the benefit of the doubt and gives his guys longer to prove something over Sherman's pick ups. True, some of Sherman's pick ups deserved to be thrown out, but you never know with TT.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I think TT would say the same about Roman. He has an amazing ability to never insult one of his players in public.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I know the draft is over... But is it just me or do a lot of you also think Collins would be a better SS???

I do think he'd be a great SS especially if Chuck is moved to FS. Chuck can run with anybody, can cover the whole field and he's proven that he's got great hands. He makes big plays but gives up too many to be a DB imo.

Roman would have been an upgrade to Manual!

I actually thought Roman played well in 2005, 2004 he sucked though. I thought he was serviceable.

I also liked Roman. Probably just because he was fun to watch. He's playing very well for the 49er's now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't think most would consider Roman played "very well" for the 49ers, but he was okay. Point taken. Of course, that doesn't mean he would have played well in Green Bay. Hell, Manuel played well for Seattle in 2005. Roman signed an extension with the 49ers, but it was a cheap deal at $1.5M/year. If he had played "very well," I think he would have made much more money than that on the FA market. I think they believe if nothing else, we have a decent backup for relatively cheap.

mraynrand
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Harv, I see your point about coverage - clearly Carroll and Poppinga were awful (but Pops did improve over the course of the season - how could he not?). But Collins achilles heel is man coverage, period. I think he's a real talent, but he was terrible when exposed to man coverage. The challenge will be to either coach him up there, or protect him. I don't know how you do that if the other safety is slower and/or with the current scheme. Any thoughts on this?

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't think he's horrible in man coverage actually. I think his problems are more to do with losing guys in zone coverage (mental). Sure, he gave up a couple of jump balls early (one to a WR that turned out pretty good in Marques Colston), but that's a tough matchup for any safety--one on one against a very good WR. Honestly, I think Collins is going to be a very good all around S, and there's not one thing I think they'll necessarily need to hide him from. Of course, you don't want your S matched up against great receivers all of the time (there aren't many LeRoy Butlers out there). He also had good coverage on many other plays. I watched a replay of the Rams game the other day, and he made a very nice play late in the game one-on-one against a wideout that got the ball back for Green Bay late. He needs to continue to get better in the mental part of the game. Other than that, I think he'll blossom. I was one of the few who felt the same way about Sharper early in his career.

So, you think we need to hide him more in coverage?

mraynrand
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't think he's horrible in man coverage actually. I think his problems are more to do with losing guys in zone coverage (mental). Sure, he gave up a couple of jump balls early (one to a WR that turned out pretty good in Marques Colston), but that's a tough matchup for any safety--one on one against a very good WR. Honestly, I think Collins is going to be a very good all around S, and there's not one thing I think they'll necessarily need to hide him from. Of course, you don't want your S matched up against great receivers all of the time (there aren't many LeRoy Butlers out there). He also had good coverage on many other plays. I watched a replay of the Rams game the other day, and he made a very nice play late in the game one-on-one against a wideout that got the ball back for Green Bay late. He needs to continue to get better in the mental part of the game. Other than that, I think he'll blossom. I was one of the few who felt the same way about Sharper early in his career.

So, you think we need to hide him more in coverage?

Interesting. No, I don't think the Packers need to hide him. I was thinking more along the lines that if the other safety is slower or less experienced, Collins trys to play the entire field to compensate and gets exposed badly at times. That could account for some of the apparent coverage 'busts.' I was one of the people who said that Sharper would pan out, but watching him at games was eye opening. He (Sharper) really was a guy who relied heavily on his athleticism to make up for false steps. He took a lot of risks as well. When you compare him to Brian Dawkins, you can easily see that Dawkins was much more instinctive (or smarter/well-prepared mentally) and read plays a lot better than Sharper. LeRoy Butler had this quality as well. I wonder if Collins can ever reach that level.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Well if Manual remains the starter

True. Conversely, if Blackmon and Underwood or Rouse step up, the secondary could be really good.

IF, IF, IF.... <sigh>

Is this the new Green Bay mantra, or what? If 42 if's go right we'll be really special.

Just like the guy at the mini mart - "If this lotto ticket takes off, all my worries will be solved. :x

CaliforniaCheez
05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Underwood, last year's starter, returns.

Rouse, Peprah, and Culver will sort out the back up priorities.

Manuel made the whole secondary look bad and will be gone(he never should have arrived) it is just a question of when and how he gets disposed.

Manuel has never earned a starting spot in the NFL but his starts occurred due to injuries to others. Overpaying him was one of the worst mistakes Ted Thompson has made.

The Defense appears very solid.
The Offense is coming together with a new RB and FB and a couple of new WR's.

There is no position where competition exists except at QB where no one can compete with Brett.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Interesting. No, I don't think the Packers need to hide him. I was thinking more along the lines that if the other safety is slower or less experienced, Collins trys to play the entire field to compensate and gets exposed badly at times. That could account for some of the apparent coverage 'busts.' I was one of the people who said that Sharper would pan out, but watching him at games was eye opening. He (Sharper) really was a guy who relied heavily on his athleticism to make up for false steps. He took a lot of risks as well. When you compare him to Brian Dawkins, you can easily see that Dawkins was much more instinctive (or smarter/well-prepared mentally) and read plays a lot better than Sharper. LeRoy Butler had this quality as well. I wonder if Collins can ever reach that level.

Probably not. I think both of those guys has a shot at the NFL Hall of Fame some day. I think Collins could be pretty good though. I wouldn't even be surprised if he made a Pro Bowl some day. I don't know if I'm just enamored with his athleticism and toughness (like I was with Favre and Sharper at a young age). I'd take two Nick Collins type players at S. People did say that he'd probably take time to develop. Maybe he's lived off God-given talent, and when he finally gets it, he'll be special.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I think TT would say the same about Roman. He has an amazing ability to never insult one of his players in public.

TT has a wonderful ability to say much about nothing; he should be a politician.

packrulz
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I like the Rouse pick, but don't forget about Underwood. If he can stay healthy, I'm banking on him beating out Manuel for the starting spot opposite Collins. Not to get a little too off topic, I'm really curious how things will play out in Traing camp at the safety position. Barring injuries, Collins is a lock, but the competition for the other spots will be between Rouse, Culver, Underwood, Manuel and the other guy...Peprah or something. Do they keep 5 safeties? Does TT admit that Manuel wasn't a good pick up and let him go?

As for Rouse, unless he absolutely sucks in TC, he'll stay on the roster. I don't see him as a starter any time soon, at least not this year and probably not next year either. I think he'll play mainly on special teams and hopefully be a beast there. It'll be some good competition.

Right now the Packers have eight safeties on the roster, Bigby, Manuel, Underwood, Peprah, Culver, Collins, Rouse, & Nnabuife, I'm thinking one or more of those could play nickle if need be.

Joemailman
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
They just interviewed Aaron Rouse on cold pizza. He basically just talked about the VT shootings and about how he was star-struck to play with Favre. They also said that his Dad is serving a long prison sentence for murder. Lets hope the apple didn't fall far from the tree but he keeps his murders on the field.

Rouse is a great kid. I'm not sure he's a good fit for this defense, but at the least he should be a good role player and special teams standout. And he should be a positive influence in the locker room. Sometimes guys who come from tough backgrounds (Donald Driver) end up being your best leaders.

RashanGary
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd rather have Manuel starting than a rookie or 2nd year guy who's never played.

Both Harris and Woodson missed camp. Woodson was in a brand new defense and so was Manuel. I think Woodson might have been responsible for a few of those blown plays as well.

If nobody really beats Manuel out I'd rather start Manuel because I think Collins needs somebody next to him who really knows what they are doing.

3irty1
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but I'd rather have Manuel starting than a rookie or 2nd year guy who's never played.

Both Harris and Woodson missed camp. Woodson was in a brand new defense and so was Manuel. I think Woodson might have been responsible for a few of those blown plays as well.

If nobody really beats Manuel out I'd rather start Manuel because I think Collins needs somebody next to him who really knows what they are doing.

I disagree but I know what you mean. Manuel found himself in the right place more often at the end of the season. A small part of me wants to keep the secondary together in hopes that with the same coach for two years in a row we go back to being the best defense against the pass that we were in 2005.

VermontPackFan
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
But it is true, MM got hurt and tried to play in a new system. Didnt practice at all, no real time in preseason games and then is the starter opening day. That has to be tough no matter who you are. I look for him to bounce back and have a good year wether it be starting safety, backup, special teams or dime package. The competition for that starting safety position will be the best in camp this year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I would agree with you guys--if the guy didn't look so unathletic. I thought he put some nice licks, and even played pretty well at times in the box. But the dude looks like he couldn't cover me.

b bulldog
05-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Collins played well the last quarter of the season, the last half is a stretch imo

Iron Mike
05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Two pages of thread and NOTHING besides the OP about what Rouse said on Cold Pizza??? :roll:

BooHoo
05-02-2007, 08:06 AM

TT has a wonderful ability to say much about nothing; he should be a politician.

A GM is a politician. :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Two pages of thread and NOTHING besides the OP about what Rouse said on Cold Pizza??? :roll:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/index

It's the second video on the list on the right.