PDA

View Full Version : Question about o-line

packers11
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I know workouts have begun but when can we tell if they really bulked up from last year???

By Training camp???

With them getting stronger, hopefully the packers dont have to go into 7 man max protect...

The real test will come week 1 when the packers have to play philly and that dominate D-line/blitz packages...

Also what is the projected starting lineup?

Clifton Spitz Wells Colledge Clifton??? I know Moll is also in the running, so it will be interesting during training camp to see who wins out the starting spots at guard this year....

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I know that they go through a strength program but they don't necessarily want them to bulk up because the ZBS relies on speedy small linemen. I wish they could all go 400# and be speedy. Someday I am sure the sport will evolve to that. Bulking up to get rid of fat and gain muscle is my understanding of the program.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Clifton - starter at LT
Colledge - starter at LG, backup at LT
Wells - starter at C, backup at G
Spitz - starter at RG, backup at C
Tauscher - starter at RT
Moll - backup at RG and RT
Barbre - backup at LT, LG, RG, RT

Lots of flexibility there. We can probably get away with only carrying 8 OL if some of the other guys don't step up. Not sure what becomes of Kevin Barry. Could be that he gets traded or he fights with Bourke, Coston, and maybe Stenavich for 1 or 2 backup positions. This OL looks like it could develop and be good for a few years--with good depth.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I know that they go through a strength program but they don't necessarily want them to bulk up because the ZBS relies on speedy small linemen. I wish they could all go 400# and be speedy. Someday I am sure the sport will evolve to that. Bulking up to get rid of fat and gain muscle is my understanding of the program.

They want Colledge to bulk up. They told him to get stronger this offseason.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I might get some negative reactions from this, but to be honest I really don't like wells that much. I remember when we drafted spltiz it said C/G. I am hoping this happens.

Clifton Colledge Spltiz Moll Tauscher

That line is still very athletic and much more bigger. I don't know, that’s just me.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, but stronger doesn't mean larger. He can gain weight but I want his ass "cut" not blubbery! We don't want him eating Glibert Brown burgers at Burger King!

:mrgreen:

packers11
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
HARV i forgot about Barry... I'm surprised T.T. didn't try to get rid of him for a late draft pick... Hes probably going to get released, i just don't see him making the roster...

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:20 AM
I actually like Wells. When he stepped in for Flanagan he did a great job and he played pretty well last year. He fits the size of our usual centers over the years as well. I don't know how he plays into the ZBS.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
HARV i forgot about Barry... I'm surprised T.T. didn't try to get rid of him for a late draft pick... Hes probably going to get released, i just don't see him making the roster...

I don't know what's up with him either. It seemed last year they liked how he adjusted to the ZBS but isn't he a "big" lineman more suited to a power running game?

pbmax
05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I think Moll's future is at Tackle not Guard. Didn't Tauscher move to guard for a while last year when Spitz was hurt?

I might get some negative reactions from this, but to be honest to really don't like wells that much. I remember when we drafted spltiz it said C/G. I am hoping this happens.

That line is still very athletic and much more bigger. I don't know that’s just me.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I think Moll's future is at Tackle not Guard. Didn't Tauscher move to guard for a while last year when Spitz was hurt?

I might get some negative reactions from this, but to be honest to really don't like wells that much. I remember when we drafted spltiz it said C/G. I am hoping this happens.

That line is still very athletic and much more bigger. I don't know that’s just me.

your probably right, I just don't like having small linemen even if it is the ZBS.

Rastak
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes, but stronger doesn't mean larger. He can gain weight but I want his ass "cut" not blubbery! We don't want him eating Glibert Brown burgers at Burger King!

Maybe he's taking Human Growth Doughnuts

pittstang5
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Moll started the season at RG, then Spitz got hurt. Moll stayed at RG and Colledge came in at LG. Colledge regained his starting spot at LG for the rest of the season, with Spitz coming in at RG when he was healthy. Moll then started for Tausch at RT when he pulled his groin.

One game, Miami, Clifton had the flew: Colledge moved to LT, Spitz to LG and Moll to RG. Tausch always played RT.

I agree though that they'll be grooming him for the back-up RT spot behind Tausch. It's nice to know that he could play guard if needed to as well. TT seems to like to pick up o-line guys that can play multiple positions.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM

He'll have more value if he comes back healthy. That's why I don't think the time was right to trade him. If he shows he's healthy, some team might be intrigued by his size and athletic ability--maybe a mauling team like Pittsburgh.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 11:42 AM
your probably right, I just don't like having small linemen even if it is the ZBS.

I don't think the coaching staff agrees with you. Philbin and McCarthy seem to praise Wells more than any other OL. They obviously like him a lot, or they wouldn't have locked him up for 5 years.

wist43
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I might get some negative reactions from this, but to be honest I really don't like wells that much. I remember when we drafted spltiz it said C/G. I am hoping this happens.

That line is still very athletic and much more bigger. I don't know, that’s just me.

I proffered the same opinion a while back and took all the heat for ya...

I had hoped Wells would get bigger and stronger, but he has done neither... if anything, I think he looks smaller.

He's probably the best pulling Center in the league - great is space... that said, he's just a mighty mite of a guy. I've been saying for some time that he looks like a blown up FB.

It should be interesting to watch Harrell kick the snot out him every day in practice. Remember Pat Williams laughing about how weak our OL was???

They should be better, but in the end, they are what they are - smallish guys that can't anchor... I would expect that in order to keep Favre alive, they're going to have to max protect again all year.

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I would love #400 6'7" guys on the line but unfortunately none of those has the motor to run the ZBS 25 times a game and stay in the game :).

Merlin
05-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Remember Pat Williams laughing about how weak our OL was???

Yeah it was such a great quote considering they registered how many sacks against us? And Won both games right? There was no denying that their defense was good against the run but they were good against every team.

Tee Hee...as long as we beat them he can say what he wants to!

retailguy
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Yeah it was such a great quote considering they registered how many sacks against us? And Won both games right? There was no denying that their defense was good against the run but they were good against every team.

Umm.... Gosh. I was at the Lambeau game last season. In the rain, 9-7 victory, that quite honestly, the Packers did not deserve to win.

The ONLY reason we won that game is because the Minnesota offense was even more pathetic than you can imagine. I think that was Tavaris Jackson's first start and he was pathetic.

During that game, Bubba did almost nothing EXCEPT block. How do I know this? My seats were in the front row. I could see everything.

Pointing to a victory and stating that our line performed "fine" can be misleading. I know you guys want to believe "all is OK" and "they're improving", but be very careful. I did not see a good performance that night, and have been very worried about this line ever since.

gbpackfan
05-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I was also at the game and you can say what you want, but the Packers DID win.

There were many reasons why they did. You sound like you are making excuses for the queens. In the end, the W is what matters.

The Packers were the better TEAM that night, end of story.

Lurker64
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Umm.... Gosh. I was at the Lambeau game last season. In the rain, 9-7 victory, that quite honestly, the Packers did not deserve to win.

The ONLY reason we won that game is because the Minnesota offense was even more pathetic than you can imagine. I think that was Tavaris Jackson's first start and he was pathetic.

Neither of those teams deserved to win that game. You can't really say "We didn't deserve to win the game" when the other team also didn't deserve to win the game, except moreso.

retailguy
05-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Neither of those teams deserved to win that game. You can't really say "We didn't deserve to win the game" when the other team also didn't deserve to win the game, except moreso.

I agree, it was pathetic on both counts. My point was, that you, or anybody else cannot look at that game and claim PROGRESS. Quite the opposite actually. Bubba spending an inordinate amount of time blocking would not be construed as progress. They did not block well. They did not execute well on either side of the ball.

And, GBpackfan, maybe they were better as a TEAM, than the Vikings, but they still sucked that day. Even you have to agree with that.... they just simply sucked LESS than the Vikings.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 08:53 PM

I agree, it was pathetic on both counts. My point was, that you, or anybody else cannot look at that game and claim PROGRESS. Quite the opposite actually. Bubba spending an inordinate amount of time blocking would not be construed as progress. They did not block well. They did not execute well on either side of the ball.

And, GBpackfan, maybe they were better as a TEAM, than the Vikings, but they still sucked that day. Even you have to agree with that.... they just simply sucked LESS than the Vikings.

That was a terrible win; the only thing that accomplished was moving us down about four draft picks so we didn't get the RB

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Some of us prefer the one we got...

ND72
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Won't happen. #1, Wells is the proto-type center these zone blocking coaches love. He's smart, quick, and a good leader.

Plus Moll will be nothing more than a good backup.

ND72
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I had hoped Wells would get bigger and stronger, but he has done neither... if anything, I think he looks smaller.

He's actually put on 15 pounds since coming out of college...

I'm going to say this again, according to Coach Philbin, Wells graded out as the best lineman last season. And truthfully, Center is probably the hardest position to grade out at cause there are constant blitz pickups and movements needed to have happen. You are underestimating the value of a SMART player.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Wells is a strong mothafucka. Give him credit. He's made himself into a solid NFL player.

Bretsky
05-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Wells is a strong mothafucka. Give him credit. He's made himself into a solid NFL player.

Yes, Wells is the least of our concerns; he's a solid NFL player

b bulldog
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Wells is a wrestler who uses his hands very well and can get nasty.

Partial
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM

Have you ever grappled and tried to take down a wrestler, though? Wells is tough as nails. Wrestlers know all about leverage, too.

Partial
05-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Maybe he's taking Human Growth Doughnuts

HGD, the new method of bulking up.