PDA

View Full Version : Compact SUVs

Partial
05-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Do any of you guys drive or know anyone who has driven a compact SUV and raved about it?

My car from 1997 is on its last leg and my folks were discussing with me about purchasing a 3-4 year old car, and then I can pay them back in installments.

I have been eyeing up the compact SUV market for awhile, mainly the Nissan Xterra, Jeep Liberty and Honda CRV.

I am looking for something that is rugged that can handle going off road a bit, as I like to do a lot of biking, rock climbing, stuff like that. The Xterra was grabbing my interest since it has a large enough engine to tow with relative ease, and gets decent gas mileage for an SUV.

Any of you guys have any thoughts?

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Had a CRV for a while and it was fine, though not great pickup or power. That was many years ago and they've undergone significant modifications since then, but I liked it well enough. It had a flip down console so you could easily move between front and back seats, which was interesting and nice to have when traveling with a family. You get to use the line "don't make me come back there!"

I have had other, smaller SUVs, but have switched back to little cars that go fast.

mraynrand
05-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about the Xterra. The CRV and Rav4 seems a bit tiny and/or underpowered to me. If you're really going to spend a lot of time offroad, you'd be crazy not to look at Jeep. They still make SUVs designed to go off road. Some of the other offerings are really street vehicles. Liberty also offers a diesel engine if you want to go that direction.

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Nice point. I would be concerned about diesel in a few places offroad. I'm just thinking of the noise of the engine and such...

Partial
05-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Hmm, interesting points and things to contemplate from both of you. I must say I was taken aback by the size of the Xterra.

I went and looked at one today and I must say it was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, even for a several year old model. Also, it was HUGE. I did not realize it was so big! I will say that it was a very smooth ride and the noise cancellation methods they used were very effective. It was extremely quiet, even on the freeway.

I am probably now moving on to looking at smaller vehicles. I don't intend to use it off road too much, but I wouldn't like to rule out the activity.

I am looking at SUVs primarily because they are a little safer and can haul things around (I am a big time scavenger and rummage sale-r during the summer so it would be nice to be able to haul say a desk or a dresser, something like that).

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Check consumer reports and Highway safety information on SUV safety for the year and model you are interested in because while SUVs are safer in crashes with smaller vehicles, different models had different timelines for fixing their rollover problems. Also check out the Toy Highlander which is very nice and there's another Honda that's a step larger and more powerful than the CRV as well. But both of those might cost more too. Have you thought of an old, beat up Volvo? Those things last forever, but you have to consider that when they do break down, they will cost you to fix.

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Can't beat a beatup Volvo. My daughter is still driving the first one we ever bought....................in 1981! Looks and drives like tank, and just about as safe.

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Yep. I once knew a man with a bad sense of humor that drove a red one and called it the "big red vulva" (you may now move this thread to the Garbage Can)

Badgepack
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
My wife is on her 4th Jeep now, Cherokee and Grand Cherokees, swears by them. The Liberty is a good vehicle, I would not get the diesel engine though, Jeep quit offering it after only 2 years, although alot of people swear by that engine also.

packinpatland
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Yep. I once knew a man with a bad sense of humor that drove a red one and called it the "big red vulva" (you may now move this thread to the Garbage Can)

Trust me, we've heard them all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partial
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Do most libraries have consumer reports subscriptions?

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I believe so.

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 04:46 PM

So you are going to spend good money on a freaking SUV and you have to go to the library to get a consumer report? Makes sense. Go buy a 2001 or 2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon that gets about 45 mpg on the highway that you can sleep in the back of. You can always throw a Thule or Yakima pod on the top to hold all your gear in. The Xterra is junk. the Honda is OK, the newer jeeps are nice but the only one I would consider is the 4 door Wrangler and I don't think you can get one with the diesel yet. Remember that when Benz sells Chrysler the German diesel connection is done. :cry:

Partial
05-01-2007, 04:54 PM

So you are going to spend good money on a freaking SUV and you have to go to the library to get a consumer report? Makes sense. Go buy a 2001 or 2002 VW Jetta TDI Wagon that gets about 45 mpg on the highway that you can sleep in the back of. You can always throw a Thule or Yakima pod on the top to hold all your gear in. The Xterra is junk. the Honda is OK, the newer jeeps are nice but the only one I would consider is the 4 door Wrangler and I don't think you can get one with the diesel yet. Remember that when Benz sells Chrysler the German diesel connection is done. :cry:

I need a car, I don't need consumer reports.

BallHawk
05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Partial,

A site I suggest is Edmunds.com

It's very useful in terms of comparisons, statistics, reviews, etc. I used it when helping my Mom by her car and it was very helpful.

Never been in Xterra. Rav4s are pretty cramped and kind of a "blah" car. The Honda CRV has really "grown up" over the years and its a pretty quiet ride as well as relatively spacios inside. The Liberty is also nice.

Freak Out
05-01-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicle/

http://www.edmunds.com/

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/automotive.htm

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

http://www.iihs.org/

Just a few of many.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2007, 06:26 PM
........and there's another Honda that's a step larger and more powerful than the CRV as well.

I think you're talking about the Pilot. Consumer Reports consistently ranks that as the best small SUV. I have some friends who own them and love em.

Scott Campbell
05-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Yes.

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 06:40 PM
........and there's another Honda that's a step larger and more powerful than the CRV as well.

I think you're talking about the Pilot. Consumer Reports consistently ranks that as the best small SUV. I have some friends who own them and love em.

Thank you. Yes, my cousin has one and loves it.

Partial
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
The Pilot is awesome and once I have kids I will get one. I just don't need that size right now; its pretty much the same size as the xterra except it has the extra row of seats.

BallHawk
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM

If the Pilot is considered a small SUV no wonder we have gas problems! :shock:

Partial
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM

If the Pilot is considered a small SUV no wonder we have gas problems! :shock:

Yeah, exactly. That thing is quite large.

MJZiggy
05-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Not compared to an Escalade...

GBRulz
05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I guess I am in kinda the same boat, looking for a decent smaller SUV. I am kind of loyal to Nissan as my last two vehicles have been Nissans and I love them. I owned a 2002 Xterra until two years ago I upgraded to the new body style (and larger) Pathfinder.

You probably won't read this in any consumer reports guide or anything, but if you are familiar with the new body style of the Pathfinder and it's 3rd row seating, you know how much bigger it is than the old Pathfinder. Believe it or not, it gets much better gas mileage than the Xterra. I am not a car expert by any means, but for whatever reason, the Pathfinder ran at lower RPM's, which I guess is the reason for the mileage difference. On the highway, I am getting about 21-22 with the Pathfinder and got about 17-18 with the Xterra.

My lease is almost up on the Pathfinder and I am certainly shying away from the SUV world. Literally 2 weeks after I got my Pathfinder, that is when gas prices shot through the roof. Now, with them at $3 again and with me on the road alot for work, that just isn't feasible.

There are many like myself, who want good gas mileage but also need a bit extra room than a standard car. I think many companies see this trend as three new models, very similiar in style have come out this year. That being the Jeep Compass, the Nissan Versa and the Dodge Calibur. They are more of a cross-over vehicle, which I am very interested in. While I haven't driven the Versa or the Calibur, I was given a Jeep Compass as my rental car when I was out in Salt Lake recently. I really liked it alot and the back seats fold flat, which is perfect when I have my dogs with me or if I have a weekend project around the house and need the space to haul some stuff home from Home Depot. Gas mileage on the Compass was very good, 28-29 Hwy. had plenty of power to keep up with the crazy Utah drivers who go 90 down the freeway (thought I was in Chicago for a minute there) :lol: and when I drove it up the canyons and did some minor off-roading, it handled just fine. If I had one complaint about the Compass, it was the dashboard being too long and you can't see the front of the car. I guess if someone was a little taller than me, that wouldn't be a problem though!

Is anyone familiar with any other "cross-over" type vehicles like the ones I just mentioned? The only bad part is that they are all new models for this year, so the lack of used ones out there is slim. Never again will I buy a vehicle brand new. Would like one a couple years old for depreciation factors.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
You just reminded me of the Subaru Forester. I know someone who has one, though she'd never go offroad (at least not intentionally...) but for city drving she loves it.

I don't haul stuff around anymore, so I drive a little go-mobile, but it pays to have friends with mini-vans...