PDA

View Full Version : Stocco To Tryout For the Packers

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
For you Stocco lovers. Didn't get drafted--like Bollinger and Sorgi, but at least he'll get a shot with the Pack.

UW's Stocco gets a tryout with the Packers
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - University of Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco's long wait to enter the National Football League is over. Well, sort of.

On Tuesday, Stocco accepted an offer from the Green Bay Packers to attend their rookie orientation camp this weekend for a 72-hour tryout. It's better than nothing but still doesn't mean he will be offered a free-agent contract. That decision will be made by the Packers next week.

"It's definitely been real stressful," Stocco said Tuesday night. "But I'm just excited and looking forward to it."

Also in for weekend auditions will be tight end Joe Werner, a standout basketball player at UW-La Crosse who hasn't played football in eight years, and Corey White, a fullback from Alabama-Birmingham.

Stocco, 6 feet 1 inch and 203 pounds, was a three-year starter with a 29-7 record. He saved his finest season for 2006, when his passer rating of 97.0 improved his four-year mark to 88.9.

"I thought I'd be drafted and, if that didn't happen, I thought for sure soon after somebody would sign me," Stocco said. "On Sunday, I thought either Arizona or St. Louis would sign me. Then my agent got a call today from the Packers saying they wanted me to try out.

"It's been really stressful, but at the same time all I want is a shot. Guys like Chris Leak and (Tyler) Palko didn't get drafted, either. I think it's a good situation and I'm going to try to make the most of it."

Stocco and rookie free agent Jerry Babb will be the only quarterbacks at the camp. The veterans are Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Ingle Martin.

Partial
05-02-2007, 12:23 AM
WHOO HOO, ship out AROD the back-up is on his way into town!!!

bbbffl66
05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
He could be a better #3 than Ingle. Can he punt though?

Lurker64
05-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I thought the Packers were trying to get some youth in at quarterback to prepare for our next QB era. I remember last season, Favre called up Camp Randall to suggest it was about time that Stocco retired.

No way he beats out Ingle.

Freak Out
05-02-2007, 12:33 AM
You have to like it when they give the local guys a try.

SD GB fan
05-02-2007, 12:43 AM
it definitely helps the press. think about the stories if this guy makes the roster and becomes a starter. "local boy gets dream job"

GrnBay007
05-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Also in for weekend auditions will be tight end Joe Werner, a standout basketball player at UW-La Crosse who hasn't played football in eight years,

:shock:

I think it was mentioned before....have any of you guys submitted your application? :P

falco
05-02-2007, 06:47 AM
They probably just need someone to throw balls at the other players, since the other QB's won't be there.

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2007, 08:24 AM
it definitely helps the press. think about the stories if this guy makes the roster and becomes a starter. "local boy gets dream job"
Just like Jerry Tagge, and...
Oops--never mind :mrgreen:

Badgerinmaine
05-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Also in for weekend auditions will be tight end Joe Werner, a standout basketball player at UW-La Crosse who hasn't played football in eight years,

:shock:

I think it was mentioned before....have any of you guys submitted your application? :P

Hey, he's the next Antonio Gates. :mrgreen:

3irty1
05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
They probably just need someone to throw balls at the other players, since the other QB's won't be there.

Bingo. They are just using him and making a story at the same time.

LL2
05-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Bingo. They are just using him and making a story at the same time.

Hopefully not. Give the guy a shot. I do not know much about him or Babb for that matter, but he was 29-7 at a big ten school. Let him compete for the #3 spot. If anything he should be real hungry and ready to prove himself and that goes a long way. Does anyone know his bio or how old Stocco is?

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I'd imagine they are bringing him and seeing how looks compared to Babb. One or the other will likely be the camp arm.

Merlin
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Joe Werner is from my high school and his family is extremely talented and so is he. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get offered a contract and at least end up on the practice squad. He's got speed and size and he is very athletic. Catching a football shouldn't be a problem for him. He is also a very smart individual as is his whole family. The story behind the Werner's family is sad. I grew up with his step brother Mike Werner. Mike's mom passed away while we were in grade school. His dad remarried a younger woman and had more kids, Joe and Andrew. His dad was old when I was growing up. I see him all the time at McDonell athletic events, the last time was yesterday at my daughters softball game. He looks the same as always. I always thought the guy has to be 100 years old because he has remained the same forever it seems.

pbmax
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
The Packers haven't held too many tryouts for ex-Badgers, so I doubt this was strictly for PR.

But it likely was strictly for a camp arm, but as with kickers and punters, if you aren't practicing with a team, its much harder to get noticed.

Just one step on a long ladder. I can't believe Sorgi was drafted but not Stocco. Sorgi had to be 6"4' and weigh 125 lbs :wink: Stocco's light, 203, but at 6 foot 1 inch he's as tall as Brees. Was arm strength a concern?

Merlin
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't think Stocco is as good as Martin but personally I would give him the nod over Rodgers. Stocco didn't work in a quarterback friendly offense in Wisconsin and at times wasn't exactly surrounded with the best talent receiver-wise. He has had some good receivers at Wisconsin in his career though. His numbers are better then Stanton's and the Badgers did win a lot of games with him. He is also pretty tough. He took a beating in the Big Ten from some of the best players in college football. Coming back from his shoulder injury to lead them in a victory in the Capitol One Bowl when no one thought Wisconsin had a chance against a SEC team since the SEC is supposed to be so great. The same could be said for the 2006 Capitol One Bowl against another SEC team, Auburn.

The Badgers will miss Stocco this season because I think he is a good leader. If Jim Sorgi can be a backup, then Stocco definitely deserves a chance.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
You think Stocco is a better prospect than Aaron Rodgers?

LL2
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM

I'd like to here the response to this.

I actually looked up his bio and it said he's 6'2" not 6'1". Not sure if an inch makes a difference. It also said he's not a good scrambler, but has good accuracy. Leadership and accuracy seems to be the things people say make a good QB. He's also 24, so he is a year older than Rodgers at this point. Not that his age matters.

packinpatland
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Not sure an inch makes a difference???????!!!!!!

Sorry, don't know what came over me :oops:

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 12:22 PM
:laugh:

Sorry, don't know what came over me :oops: :shock: :P :lol:

LL2
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
:laugh:

Sorry, don't know what came over me :oops: :shock: :P :lol:

I guess it doesn't for him. :lol:

oregonpackfan
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM
"Meanwhile, back at the ranch..."

Getting back to Stocco, I think it is great the Packers are giving Stocco a chance.

Stocco has marginal physical skills but I admired him as the Badgers' QB. He is smart, an excellent leader, physically and mentally tough, and respected by his coaches and teammates. He reminds me of a young Bob Griese, the Dad of Brian Griese.

Bob Griese had marginal physical talent but was surrounded by immense talent of the Dolphins. Griese used his other attributes that Stocco has to become a successful NFL quarterback.

Who knows? Stocco might surprise a lot of people.

packinpatland
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Now, isn't that just like a guy to change the subject :lol:

Seriously, giving this kid a chance is a great move on the Packers part, I'd like to see him still come Aug.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
This may be the first time in forum (and I mean any forum) that a thread has drifted off topic and actually been brought back to the original subject. Guess now we know how to make THAT happen.

Merlin
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM

I think Stocco comes in from a completely different offense, one that isn't friendly to the QB. I would give him a serious shot because Rodgers has not shown us anything in 2 years. After this year it will be three. Most QB's that are taken as high as Rodgers show something, anything, usually within the first year. Some kind of a sign that he will be any good. I haven't seen that sign and anyone who says they have hasn't been watching the guy.

LL2
05-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Now, isn't that just like a guy to change the subject :lol:

Seriously, giving this kid a chance is a great move on the Packers part, I'd like to see him still come Aug.

I would like to see him get a chance to play a little in a preseason game.

pbmax
05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
This may be the first time in forum (and I mean any forum) that a thread has drifted off topic and actually been brought back to the original subject. Guess now we know how to make THAT happen.You mean, by discussing the Badgers? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Stocco blows goat. I hope he doesn't make the team.
:D

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Stocco blows goat. I hope he doesn't make the team.

Now I'm glad the Buckeyes look like a kindergarten girls basketweaving team in the NCAA Title Game last year !! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Have you started your Pessimistic Realists club yet?

Rastak
05-02-2007, 09:52 PM

wist could be vice president!

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm not sure we even want to be realistic; that's depressing.

Was thinking of forming another independent party called the

Optimistically Pessimistic

pbmax
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
What about the "Oxymoronic Nomenclatures"? :D

I'm not sure we even want to be realistic; that's depressing.

Was thinking of forming another independent party called the

Optimistically Pessimistic