PDA

View Full Version : Boxing fans....

Kiwon
05-02-2007, 06:55 AM
May 5 - Oscar De La Hoya versus Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Las Vegas.

Who wins?

Freak Out
05-02-2007, 08:53 AM
I have to put my $$$ on Floyd Jr.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Mayweather, but I respect the hell out of Oscar. He fights everybody. He wins some. He loses some. He gets robbed in some. But he fights everybody.

Pay-per-view has made boxing a lot of money, and killed it at the same time.

oregonpackfan
05-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Mayweather, but I respect the hell out of Oscar. He fights everybody. He wins some. He loses some. He gets robbed in some. But he fights everybody.

I would have to pick Mayweather as well. With the pathetic picks I made in the NFL draft(lowest score of all the PackerRats) my prediction probably does not carry much weight! :lol:

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 08:25 PM

I would have to pick Mayweather as well. With the pathetic picks I made in the NFL draft(lowest score of all the PackerRats) my prediction probably does not carry much weight! :lol:

I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out...

oregonpackfan
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM

I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out...

Me and my big chatroom mouth! :)

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 08:43 PM
My bet is on Direct TV...............almost $55.00+- to watch this??!!!

Kiwon
05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Mayweather is the favorite but I'm rooting for Oscar.

Bottom line: I hope it's a good fight. Man, oh man, talk about hype.

MadtownPacker
05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I gotta go with my Cali homeboy of course!

He is past his prime so my gut says Mayweather but the heart of a champion cant be denied.

LL2
05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Boxing hasn't been great since Tyson and Holyfield. It will not be great again until the heavyweight division gets a couple household names.

Kiwon
05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
LL2, you can't pronounce the names of all the heavyweight champs?

Ruslan Chagaev, Oleg Maskaev, Wladimir Klitschko, Nikolai Valuev, Sergei Liakhovich.

They're household names.....mainly in Russia.

oregonpackfan
05-05-2007, 12:12 AM

Ruslan Chagaev, Oleg Maskaev, Wladimir Klitschko, Nikolai Valuev, Sergei Liakhovich.

Kiwon,

I am impressed with your spelling of those Russian names! Heck, I can't even spell my wife's middle name. :)

Kiwon
05-05-2007, 12:46 AM

Kiwon,

I am impressed with your spelling of those Russian names! Heck, I can't even spell my wife's middle name. :)

http://secure.hop.com/ProductIncludeFiles/140/140_overview.jpg

the_idle_threat
05-05-2007, 02:44 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2007/05/ipt/1178319666.jpg

Are they still gonna fight? Looks like they kissed and made up. :mrgreen:

Kiwon
05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Tonight's the night! Do it, baby!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070504/capt.e4ca8dd3ac054102a7b52cc4ad91ed6e.de_la_hoya_m ayweather_boxing_nvjh117.jpg

oregonpackfan
05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Though de la Hoya lost the match, he "won" on his way to the bank.

You have to give the man credit for being financially wise and diversifying his investments. There have been way too many stories in boxing where top fighters squander away their money ending up desititute. That scenario won't happend with de la Hoya.

Kiwon
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
And the winners are....

Pay-per-view and both fighters.

"A total of 2.15 million households paid $54.95 for the fight, generating revenue of $120 million. The previous record set by Tyson-Holyfield was 1.99 million buys.

"This puts to bed this theory of boxing being in trouble, or being dead or dying," said Ross Greenburg, head of HBO Sports. "This fight would have never materialized if boxing was dying."

A person close to the promotion said De La Hoya would end up making about $45 million for the fight and Mayweather just over $20 million. That person requested anonymity because the promoters did not want official figures released."