PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Mock Draft

Joemailman
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

2008 Mock Draft: Round One

Last update: Monday, April 30, 2007.
Next update: Thursday, May 3, 2007.
I've updated this mock to adjust for what teams did in the draft this weekend. On Thursday, it will be changed based on the updates I make to my Power Rankings and Player Rankings. A second round will be added once my Player Rankings are complete. THIS ORDER IS BASED ON MY POWER RANKINGS.

1. Houston Texans: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
I had the Texans ranked as the worst team in my Power Rankings prior to the draft, so that's why they're picking first in this very early mock. It's all about playmakers on offense, and excluding Andre Johnson, the Texans just don't have any. A running back corps of Ahman Green, Ron Dayne and Wali Lundy isn't going to get it done. Darren McFadden is currently the consensus No. 1.

2. Dallas Cowboys: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
This is obviously way too early for a receiver, as there is no Calvin Johnson in this class. If the Cowboys have the second pick -- this will likely change once I compile my new Power Rankings -- they will trade down to a team needing a quarterback. In this mock, Minnesota.

3. Miami Dolphins: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Miami didn't address the offensive tackle position in the 2007 Draft, which is something I think they will regret by Week 8. However, given their drafting habits, they'll probably take a long snapper or something instead.

4. Washington Redskins: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Let's see: Can't get to the quarterback? Check. Can't stop the run? Check. Don't draft a single defensive lineman in the 2007 Draft? Are they that dumb?

5. Detroit Lions: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
Some say Derrick Harvey's a better pro prospect than Jarvis Moss, who went No. 17 to Denver. Harvey recorded 11 sacks in 2006, so the Lions would love to have him, especially after missing out on Gaines Adams.

6. Oakland Raiders: DeSean Jackson, WR, California
There's talk that DeSean Jackson may be able to run a 4.2 in the 40. If that happens, he'll likely be the first receiver taken, particularly by Al Davis, who loves speed.

7. Minnesota Vikings: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
This is part of a trade I'm projecting with Dallas, as Minnesota would love to move up and secure Brian Brohm, the top quarterback in this class.

8. New York Giants: Jared Gaither, OT, Maryland
The Giants will quickly find out how foolish it was not to secure a decent left tackle in the draft.

9. Buffalo Bills: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
This isn't their biggest need, but I think the Bills would love to add a potent No. 2 receiver across from Lee Evans.

10. Arizona Cardinals: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia
The expiration date on Edgerrin James could be set to expire soon. James turns 30 a few months after the 2008 Draft, and has already shown signs of slowing down.

11. Atlanta Falcons: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
This season is do or die for Michael Vick. Something tells me he'll either quit on his team, flip off the fans or get into trouble with the law again. If the Falcons fail to reach the playoffs, Bobby Petrino may draft a signal caller in 2008.

12. St. Louis Rams: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
The Rams neglected the interior of their defensive line in the 2007 Draft. After another year of sucking against the run, they won't repeat their mistake.

13. Carolina Panthers: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
Word is Mike Minter is planning to retire after the 2007 season. Carolina will need a young safety regardless.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
I can't believe the Buccaneers were so cheap that they couldn't land Calvin Johnson. It came down to giving up both second-round picks, and they just wouldn't budge. Yeah, have fun with Aaron Sears and Sabby Piscitelli. Much better than Johnson. Wide out still needed.

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Will Kansas City finally come to its senses and realize it needs to draft some offensive linemen to replace the ones that retired? For the sake of Chiefs fans everywhere, I hope so.

16. Green Bay Packers: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
Respectively, Charles Woodson and Al Harris will be 32 and 34 at some point during the 2008 campaign. Antoine Cason could be the future of Green Bay's secondary.

17. Tennessee Titans: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Robert Meachem was just sitting there at No. 19. I just don't get it. Maybe the Titans will finally realize they need to get a legitimate weapon for Vince Young.

18. New England Patriots: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
One position I thought the Patriots would add depth to in the 2007 Draft was inside linebacker. That'll happen here.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Sam Baker, OT, USC
I'm tempted to give the Eagles another quarterback. What if Erik Ainge is the best player on the board, Big Red? Jon Runyan will be pushing 35 by the 2008 Draft. It'll be time for the Eagles to find a new right tackle. Sam Baker will join William Justice, his old teammate.

20. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jonathan Goff, ILB, Vanderbilt
James Farrior will be 33 by the start of the 2007 season. It's for the Steelers to find his heir apparent.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
Reggie Hayward went down last year and it wasn't pretty. Jacksonville needs depth at defensive end, especially considering that Bobby McCray may leave next season, while Paul Spicer is getting up there in age.

22. New York Jets: Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
Justin McCareins has been a huge disappointment as a third receiver, so the Jets could be interested in one of the best players remaining on the board.

23. Baltimore Ravens: Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
By the start of the 2008 season, Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle will be 31 and 32, respectively. Young blood will need to be pumped into Baltimore's secondary.

24. Cincinnati Bengals: Dan Connor, OLB, Penn State
The Bengals didn't select a linebacker in the 2007 Draft, which I thought was a mistake.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Mike Hart, RB, Michigan
Shaun Alexander will be 31 by the start of the 2008 season, and he's already shown signs of declining.

26. Chicago Bears: Adarious Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
Muhsin Muhammad may be entering his final season with the Bears, given his massive contract and age (35 in May 2008). Adarious Bowman is much bigger than him.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Xavier Adibi, OLB, Virginia Tech
The Colts didn't add a big-time linebacker to replace Cato June. They may pay for that in 2007.

28. Dallas Cowboys: Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State
Terence Newman, Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn aren't exactly young. Newman will be 30 in September 2008, while the latter two don't have many productive seasons remaining in the NFL.

29. Denver Broncos: James Hardy, WR, Indiana
Considering Rod Smith is getting up there in years, I'm shocked the Broncos didn't draft a receiver.

30. San Diego Chargers: Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC
The Chargers lost three veteran inside linebackers this offseason and only acquired two rookies. I sense a weak spot.

31. New Orleans Saints: Frank Okam, DT, Texas
A bit of a drop for Frank Okam, but the Saints will take it. A defensive tackle remains a need.

32. New England Patriots: Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
The Patriots will probably trade this pick. If not, another inside linebacker to eventually replace Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel.

2007 Mock: Round 1|Round 2|Round 3|Round 4|Round 5|Round 6|Round 7
Go to Mock Draft Database - 170 mocks listed!

It's never too early! :P

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Can we stop fighting and wailing about this draft before we start on the next one? lol

Brainerd
05-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Another defensive 1st rounder from TT. Is he ever gonna get Favre any help. Its just so obvious that TT wants Favre to retire. I've heard from a source close to Favre that he is now refusing to ever retire until TT is fired. :D

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Can we stop fighting and wailing about this draft before we start on the next one? lol

I don't look forward to another

Lurker64
05-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Another defensive 1st rounder from TT. Is he ever gonna get Favre any help. Its just so obvious that TT wants Favre to retire. I've heard from a source close to Favre that he is now refusing to ever retire until TT is fired. :D

All the better reason to keep Ted Thompson as your GM forever.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 07:24 PM

I don't look forward to another

I give you til the first game of the Badger season and you'll be all over the draft again, you homer!!!! :P

retailguy
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
The only silver lining I see in this draft is that the guy has the Packers picking 16th. That means that he believes they will be AVERAGE again, which is much better than I think they're going to be.

packers11
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
The only silver lining I see in this draft is that the guy has the Packers picking 16th. That means that he believes they will be AVERAGE again, which is much better than I think they're going to be.

He also has the cowboys at #2... weird...

retailguy
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM

I took that to be the Browns pick, you know, the one TED passed on...

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM

I'll take that...I hate the Cowboys.

Charles Woodson
05-02-2007, 08:14 PM
If Brandon Jackson doesnt work out, id LOVE to have Steve Slaton

Brando19
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
If Brandon Jackson doesnt work out, id LOVE to have Steve Slaton

Some local WVU boys...Steve Slaton (RB) and Pat White (QB). Slaton is awesome. He'll probably win the Heisman.