PDA

View Full Version : What If: Could Ted Have Kept Wahle, McKenzie and Walker?

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Pretend for a moment that Ted was the GM for the last 7 years. (Here come some groans)

Could Ted have kept Wahle, McKenzie and Walker if he had the same cap flexibility that exists today, rather than the razor thin margin under Sherman's regime?

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Is TT the one who WROTE their contracts??

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Pretend for a moment that Ted was the GM for the last 7 years. (Here come some groans)

Could Ted have kept Wahle, McKenzie and Walker if he had the same cap flexibility that exists today, rather than the razor thin margin under Sherman's regime?

Now that is too funny

To bring some logic into the mix

1. Ron Wolf had to give up a 2nd round draft pick to take Mike Wahle in the supplemental draft; think TT would have did that ?? :roll:

2. Mike Sherman traded UP to get Javon Walker

yes, that's right...."up"

Think TT would have given up a draft pick to do that ?

IMO we'd for sure have never had Walker and probably not Wahle either.
But I guess if you want to start the juices flowing again with this thread IMO you've done a good job.

B

packinpatland
This is way too big of a 'what if'.

Scott Campbell

I don't understand the question - can you expand?

Bretsky

do you really not know the answer to this question ????????????????????????

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
This is way too big of a 'what if'.

Maybe, but not so big if you see a pattern forming.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 06:58 PM

I think Andy Brandt actually writes the contracts, sometimes in conjunction with the agent, but the GM frames the terms.

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 06:58 PM
wonder if we'd have ever won a Super Bowl with TT as a GM ???//

WOULD HE GIVE UP A FIRST ROUND PICK FOR A SECOND FROM THE YEAR BEFORE ?

WOULD HE BE BOLD ENOUGH TO SIGN REGGIE WHITE TO THE LARGEST DL CONTRACT IN THE NFL ?

The Leaper
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, to be honest...

I think there is a question here that DOES beg asking.

If Thompson had worked hard at keeping Walker in town, rather than ignoring his demand to talk about his contract, where would we be now? This team would be markedly better with Walker on the roster...and with $9M in cap space, we certainly could've afforded it.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:00 PM
wonder if we'd have ever won a Super Bowl with TT as a GM ???//

WOULD HE GIVE UP A FIRST ROUND PICK FOR A SECOND FROM THE YEAR BEFORE ?

WOULD HE BE BOLD ENOUGH TO SIGN REGGIE WHITE TO THE LARGEST DL CONTRACT IN THE NFL ?

Not sure. And it's not the subject of this thread.

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, to be honest...

If Thompson had worked hard at keeping Walker in town, rather than ignoring his demand to talk about his contract, where would we be now? This team would be markedly better with Walker on the roster...and with $9M in cap space, we certainly could've afforded it.

:bow:

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM

Hypothetically. I'm asking if TT is the GM under whom the contract was originated because if TT wrote it or signed off on it, there's no way it is written the way it was.

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Hypothetically. I'm asking if TT is the GM under whom the contract was originated because if TT wrote it or signed off on it, there's no way it is written the way it was.

I'm sure you knew these were well before Turtle Time

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Well, to be honest...

I'm asking the same thing, though in a different way. If Thompson had today's cap flexibility on Day 1 of his job, would he have behaved differently than he did given the cap mess he inherited from Sherman?

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Of course I did. I am asking about Scott's hypothetical situation. If in his scenario, TT has been here long enough to do these deals, then the answer becomes easy as the contracts would have been done differently than they were.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:07 PM

I believe you are "nuts on" if this is in reference to the Wahle deal. I can't see Ted ever backing himself into a corner with a monsterous roster bonus due in the latter year of a up and coming young players contract.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:09 PM

Of course I did. I am asking about Scott's hypothetical situation. If in his scenario, TT has been here long enough to do these deals, then the answer becomes easy as the contracts would have been done differently than they were.

Probably not Walker's or McKenzie's. They were pretty conventional at the time.

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, to be honest...

I'm asking the same thing, though in a different way. If Thompson had today's cap flexibility on Day 1 of his job, would he have behaved differently than he did given the cap mess he inherited from Sherman?

fwiw that is not how I interpreted your question.

Looking at it like that, I do believe if we had those players its likely we'd still have them today. TT would have never went for the gusto with a guy like Joe Johnson with the cap situation we were in IMO, and IMO he probably would not have structued that Wahle Deal like it was structured.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Well then Wahle loses the balloon payment in his contract and stays which also creates more cap room down the line. If McKenzie goes south (literally) then TT learns from it (as he's shown he did after the Walker fiasco) and Walker is placated before he has a shot at getting pissy and whining like a four-year-old. That's my insane prediction.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, to be honest...

fwiw that is not how I interpreted your question.

Looking at it like that, I do believe if we had those players its likely we'd still have them today. TT would have never went for the gusto with a guy like Joe Johnson with the cap situation we were in IMO, and IMO he probably would not have structued that Wahle Deal like it was structured.

Given what he did with Harris and Driver, I wonder if he would have managed the McKenzie and Walker situations differently.

We've all been assuming that he just learned from his early mistakes. What if he behaved differently purely because he built the cap flexibility to do so?

This seems far more intuitive to me than the various Ted's Stupid, Ted's Cheap or Ted Just Wants Favre Gone theories.

MJZiggy
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Interesting idea...

Merlin
05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I am not getting into this one, not at all!

retailguy
05-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Well then Wahle loses the balloon payment in his contract and stays which also creates more cap room down the line. If McKenzie goes south (literally) then TT learns from it (as he's shown he did after the Walker fiasco) and Walker is placated before he has a shot at getting pissy and whining like a four-year-old. That's my insane prediction.

Your point inherently assumes that Wahle and his agent would have accepted and signed that deal without the bonus. As I recall, they refused to sign any deal that did not include that bonus because they didn't want to miss the 'window' for Wahle to get a monster deal.

Freak Out
05-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I remember the first SNL crew had a skit called "What if". I loved the "What if" Napoleon had a Hound dog missile at Waterloo? Lol....
Old Boney (Belushi) was flying around on a B52 necking with Josephine while Akroid was touting the merits of the Hound dog.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I remember the first SNL crew had a skit called "What if". I loved the "What if" Napoleon had a Hound dog missile at Waterloo? Lol....
Old Boney (Belushi) was flying around on a B52 necking with Josephine while Akroid was touting the merits of the Hound dog.

On the other hand, too bad we didn't play "What If" prior to Pearl Harbor or 911. Maybe we would have defended them a little better.

retailguy
05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
On the other hand, too bad we didn't play "What If" prior to Pearl Harbor or 911. Maybe we would have defended them a little better.

Perhaps Ted could engage in a game of "what if" prior to the 2008 draft? :oops: :wink: :P

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
With great cap, I think he would of structured Whales contract so that he would get a big bonuses paid year one so that he avoids cutting him later on. With McKenzie, I still don't know what his problem was. I heard money, and I also heard something about him not liking the team. If his problem was with the team, theirs not a lot TT could have done. As for Walker, I think if you throw money at him he stays on the team. However, same as McKenzie in that if he just plain wanted to leave then their is not a lot TT or anybody could do.

Bottom line is think he would of kept Whale. Maybe Walker only because that would have been his own pick and probably would of felt different about re-signing him.

I still get mad when I think of Walker leaving, he was one of my favorite players.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
With McKenzie, I still don't know what his problem was. I heard money, and I also heard something about him not liking the team. If his problem was with the team, theirs not a lot TT could have done.

I'm not so sure. Ted eventually fired Sherman. If Sherman the coach is gone, and Sherman the GM is gone, would McKenzie have considered staying if Ted threw him a bone the way he threw Harris a bone?

Charles Woodson
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Personally i dont think all 3 of them would still be here. But also, remember if we still had Mckenzie then we wouldnt have Woodson. I really wish we would have worked something out with Walker.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-02-2007, 08:14 PM
With McKenzie, I still don't know what his problem was. I heard money, and I also heard something about him not liking the team. If his problem was with the team, theirs not a lot TT could have done.

I'm not so sure. Ted eventually fired Sherman. If Sherman the coach is gone, and Sherman the GM is gone, would McKenzie have considered staying if Ted threw him a bone the way he threw Harris a bone?

Yes maybe he would of assuming his problem was completly with Sherman. Am not so sure it was though.

SD GB fan
05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
its to hard to say but i think we could have kept walker. im saying this based on wells jenkins, kampman, and barnett's signing. if TT has the cap space it seems like he doesnt have any problem signing young players. as of now, i dont think we lost any young players to FA. and the walker incident was more than just TT not wanting to sign him. walker agreed to play for the year and TT wanted the time to free up cap space. but the freak accident pretty much broke all friendly ties between walker and the packers. had that injury not occurred, walker would probably still be a packer.

Patler
05-02-2007, 08:50 PM
1. Ron Wolf had to give up a 2nd round draft pick to take Mike Wahle in the supplemental draft; think TT would have did that ?? :roll:

But I guess if you want to start the juices flowing again with this thread IMO you've done a good job.

B

1. Why wouldn't TT have taken Wahle? It was no different than drafting him, it was just not done at the normal time. TT may have even had a hand in the evaluation of Wahle. TT was still working for Wolf in GB in 1998 when Wahle was drafted. He didn't go to Seattle until the 2000 season.

2. Regarding Walker, did Sherman have to trade up to get him, or would Walker have been available in the Packers regular spot? Sherman traded up from #28 to pick Walker at #20. No other team picked a wide receiver after that until the 2nd round. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a very good pick, but at the time many thought Wlker was a 2nd round talent, not a first round talent. He may not have had to make the trade to get him. Heck, maybe he could have traded DOWN, and still gotten Walker! :)

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM

B

1. Why wouldn't TT have taken Wahle? It was no different than drafting him, it was just not done at the normal time. TT may have even had a hand in the evaluation of Wahle. TT was still working for Wolf in GB in 1998 when Wahle was drafted. He didn't go to Seattle until the 2000 season.

2. Regarding Walker, did Sherman have to trade up to get him, or would Walker have been available in the Packers regular spot? Sherman traded up from #28 to pick Walker at #20. No other team picked a wide receiver after that until the 2nd round. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a very good pick, but at the time many thought Wlker was a 2nd round talent, not a first round talent. He may not have had to make the trade to get him. Heck, maybe he could have traded DOWN, and still gotten Walker! :)

If we needed a WR TT would have drafted Defense :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Heck, maybe he could have traded DOWN, and still gotten Walker! :)

Same story with Barnett.

Bretsky
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM

B

Maybe you are right on Wahle; maybe not. I get the impression that TT would be very very conservative in giving up a pick to nab somebody in the supplemental draft. Maybe the turtle will prove me wrong going forward. He hasn't bit on the supplemental draft yet so we have no evidence either way.

Sherman noted he was relatively sure one team (it might have been Phily) was interested in Walker; I thought word came out after the draft they were also considering him.

Scott Campbell
05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I get the impression that TT would be very very conservative in giving up a pick to nab somebody in the supplemental draft.

His conservatism might have cost us in a different way. Rather than passing on the supplemental draft altogether, he might have placed a 3 round value on Wahle and some other team might have taken him before we had the chance.

On the other hand, maybe Ted gets him with that 3rd.

RashanGary
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't think Thompson would have done some of the things Wolf did and everything sort of fell in place for that SB Packer team. They never became a dynasty because we relied a lot on aging guys and it fell down a little but the counter to that is "would Wolf have done what SD has done?" They built a powerhouse through the draft. Had Wolf been there making bold moves in this era he might have ended up like Dallas or Washington.

I think it's differentn eras and there are too many variables to say one is right over the other. I belive in Thompsons phylosophy in this era but during that first coule hesitant years of FA, Wolfs' attidute sure paid off. I just doubt that he'd have that success today.

pbmax
05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
As a follow up to Ziggy's point/question, Sherman and Wahle made it clear that the balloon payment was in there for a reason, Wahle didn't expect to see it, he expected to be released or have the contract redone.

The reason is that while $6 mil is all well and good, it pales in comparison to the guaranteed money he got from Carolina. He was better off with a new contract than with the roster bonus.

So T2 would have needed the cap flexibility at the very beginning of his tenure to do Wahle's contract in his front loaded manner.

And if Scott's hypothetical T2 starts after the Wahle/Sherman contract, he would still have had to dump current salary to make cap room. You cannot renegotiate existing contracts to create the space that Thompson has been carrying. You need to dump salary first, the write contracts that pay early.

Patler
05-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Sherman noted he was relatively sure one team (it might have been Phily) was interested in Walker; I thought word came out after the draft they were also considering him.

Sherman said the same thing when he traded up to get Donnell Washington, BJ Sander, Kenny Peterson, James Lee and even Chris Johnson in the 7th round. He moved up 8 spots in the 7th, because he was sure someone else wanted Johnson.

Basically, I don't think Sherman had a very good feel for what other teams wanted to do, and he became fixated on specific players that he couldn't stand to lose.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Good stuff, Scott. Keep up the good work.

Patler
05-02-2007, 09:43 PM
A more conservative FA approach would not have landed Joe Johnson, may not have paid so much to a guy like Luchey, may not have overpaid Diggs and KGB, etc.; all of which would have increased the cap space by millions of dollars each year, and perhaps would have allowed for signing Wahle to a different type of contract, or renegotiating his contract in advance of the roster bonus coming due, or perhaps even paying the roster bonus and keeping him.

ZachMN
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
McKenzie has faded badly since the year before his holdout. I'm glad he left. He played his best ball for us. Wahle had issues with the management at the time. I remember him feeling miffed about not ever being on the cover of the program or something like that; I'm sure some of you remember the quote. Walker's leaving was due to irrational attitude due to the knee injury. Nothing could control that and the fact that he thinks his poo poo doesn't stink. He is the one most missed over last two years. Probably cost us 4 to 6 games over last two years.

Speaking of all this Sherman era mess how much "dead Money' are we on the hook for now? Anyone know off hand?

Patler
05-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Speaking of all this Sherman era mess how much "dead Money' are we on the hook for now? Anyone know off hand?

About $1.9 million for Carroll
$350,000 for Cory Rodgers (TT's mistake)
$178,000 for Donnell Washington
$175,000 for Mark Roman
$146,000 for BJ Sander.

The rest are all nickel and dime.

pbmax
05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Those two RFA situations kill me as they were completely avoidable. We could have kept both Diggs and KGB around for another year to evaluate or replace at a fraction of the cost we ultimately paid.

Sherman got too cute with their tenders and then had someone else negotiate their contract.

A more conservative FA approach would not have landed Joe Johnson, may not have paid so much to a guy like Luchey, may not have overpaid Diggs and KGB, etc.; all of which would have increased the cap space by millions of dollars each year, and perhaps would have allowed for signing Wahle to a different type of contract, or renegotiating his contract in advance of the roster bonus coming due, or perhaps even paying the roster bonus and keeping him.

pacfan
05-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Another take on TT and Wahle is the type of player Wahle was. Would Wahle have fit the ZBS or would we have stayed with the power-blocking scheme?

I'm pretty sure Rivera would have been gone because of age. I doubt Joe Johnson would have been on the team and we would have NEVER given up a third for a punter.

TT rewarded the players that performed (Harris, Driver, Barnett) in part because of the cap space and because they kept to themselves and didn't negotiate through the press. Javon wanted his deal reworked after one great season with two years remaining add the lame bitch Drew Rosenhaus and it was a PR nightmare. I think TT did what was right and not let one player hold the team hostage. McKenzie was a loss, but Sherman was a tough coach to play for. McKenzie created leverage with his attitude and his "injury", I don't miss him one bit.

I thought Wolf's (and TT) strategy was to reward your own before paying for outside players.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Another take on TT and Wahle is the type of player Wahle was. Would Wahle have fit the ZBS or would we have stayed with the power-blocking scheme?

Wahle became a complete OG that can fit in any scheme. He was always athletic.

pbmax
05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Wahle would have been tremendous in the ZBS. Of course, as with most players. age is beginning to take its toll. He was injured again last year. That makes two out of three seasons in Carolina he has been off the field for part of the season, doesn't it?

Wahle became a complete OG that can fit in any scheme. He was always athletic.

SD GB fan
05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
ironic that the 2003 o-line hardly missed games together. but as soon as they leave for another team, they get injured. ahh shouldnt have left for the money :P

swede
05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
This has turned out to be a more amusing thread than I thought it would be. The "what if" game gets your head spinning after a while. One "what if" event spirals off into many other related effects.

Good work, Rats!

One observation when it comes to TT: By now we are seeing that TT's behaviors as GM seem to follow patterns that involve very cautious participation in FA, trade downs in drafts that rigorously follow a plan for aquiring targeted players, and identifying key players and paying them as the end of their contracts approach.

This year's morphing by NE into a FA spendthrift makes me wonder if TT is also capable of changing his approach at the exact time that key free agents are needed to extend the playoff run of a solid and maturing team.

ZachMN
05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Swede, I think that is the case; he will build a good strong core built around the concept of O and D lines being the strength which allows you to plug in the "skill" positions which in my opinion are easier to cut and paste at a whim. If TT always has a young backup at these key positions and the cap room always ready he could strike when the iron is hot---(not every year to placate a bunch of whiners on message boards who come up with conspiracy stories to explain why we didn't overpay for players who aren't going to substantailly improve the capability to win more games). I know some of you are pissed because we aren't "doing everything for Brett" but he has been more of a liability since that game in St. Louis in the playoffs. When he leaves TT is smart enough to realize that having strong play from both lines will go a long way to making average or servicable qb's and rb's etc. be more than capable of winning. Your secondary automatically gets better when your D Line is tearing things up too. Case in point: Brian Urlacher; when he had those two fat asses in 01 he was on fire when they left or were injured he was slightly above average. Now they have a great line again and what do you know Urlacher is free to go off. Got to go back to work but you get my point.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Swede, I think that is the case; he will build a good strong core built around the concept of O and D lines being the strength which allows you to plug in the "skill" positions which in my opinion are easier to cut and paste at a whim. If TT always has a young backup at these key positions and the cap room always ready he could strike when the iron is hot---(not every year to placate a bunch of whiners on message boards who come up with conspiracy stories to explain why we didn't overpay for players who aren't going to substantailly improve the capability to win more games). I know some of you are pissed because we aren't "doing everything for Brett" but he has been more of a liability since that game in St. Louis in the playoffs. When he leaves TT is smart enough to realize that having strong play from both lines will go a long way to making average or servicable qb's and rb's etc. be more than capable of winning. Your secondary automatically gets better when your D Line is tearing things up too. Case in point: Brian Urlacher; when he had those two fat asses in 01 he was on fire when they left or were injured he was slightly above average. Now they have a great line again and what do you know Urlacher is free to go off. Got to go back to work but you get my point.

Brett had been a lidbility since 2001? I stopped reading after that sentence. Without Favre we woulld of been 2-14 last year.

BlueBrewer
05-03-2007, 10:50 AM

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Brett had been a lidbility since 2001? I stopped reading after that sentence. Without Favre we woulld of been 2-14 last year.

Yeah, that kind of hurts his credibility. Not to rehash, but this team would have been horrible the last 6 years without Brett at QB.

swede
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
The playoff game in St. Louis is certainly not the moment that Favre becomes a liability to his team. Even at 37 he is a better QB than two thirds of the league can put out there. It was perhaps the most dramatic first example of how Favre's play suffers from his trying to do too much when the team around him becomes less effective due to age, injury, and attrition.

Anyway, the Favre thing wasn't my point.

My point was that I can see why TT is GMing the way he is right now. But there will be a time, IMHO, when he may need to adjust the way he does things as the team begins to mature and show more talent and experience.

I'm still in awe, I guess, of how the Patriots, whom I loathe deeply, changed their stripes so dramatically in order to get one or two more really good grabs at the brass ring. And I wonder if Ted has it in him to GM this way now but do it another way later as times and circumstances change.

cpk1994
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Yes maybe he would of assuming his problem was completly with Sherman. Am not so sure it was though.

McKenzies problems with Sherman were mainy two issues:

1. Sherman's seemingly refusing to talk to him or anybody for that matter

2. Hiring Kurt Schottenheimer to be DB coach instead of promoting Lionel Washington(Ironic isn't it).

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
If TT had been the Packers' GM years earlier, the Packers would have drafted Taco Wallace. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then the Taco Wallace era would have lasted several years rather than a few short months. :idea:

Oh, to dream ... :D

Patler
05-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't understand this boards infatuation with Taco Wallace. TT drafted Wallace in the 7th round of 2003 for Seattle. He hung on at Seattle on the practice squad and the regular roster a few games in 2003 and 2004. When GB needed receivers badly in 2005, TT signed a player he was well-familiar with. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

If his nickname wasn't "Taco" would he continue to be brought up? There was certainly nothing memorable, either good or bad, about his few weeks in Green Bay. There were a few other receivers that came and went quickly that season too.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
If his nickname wasn't "Taco" would he continue to be brought up?

Not a chance. You gotta love name like Taco.

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Good thing a guy like 'Booger' McFarland could actually play.

Guiness
05-04-2007, 09:00 AM

Ya, and Cincy was going to grab BJ Sander, which is why he moved up. He got played on that one.

FWIW I agree with your statement on the first page. At least one of the players (Walker) we wouldn't have had to worry about, because TT wouldn't have made the move up to get him.

Wahle is a more interesting situation - spend the pick in the regular draft or the supplemental. Does it matter?

Guiness
05-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't understand this boards infatuation with Taco Wallace. TT drafted Wallace in the 7th round of 2003 for Seattle. He hung on at Seattle on the practice squad and the regular roster a few games in 2003 and 2004. When GB needed receivers badly in 2005, TT signed a player he was well-familiar with. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

If his nickname wasn't "Taco" would he continue to be brought up? There was certainly nothing memorable, either good or bad, about his few weeks in Green Bay. There were a few other receivers that came and went quickly that season too.

Have you seen MTP's avatar? :?:
Do you really have to ask about our fascination with a guy named Taco?

pbmax
05-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Yep. 'Booger' is Boy Named Sue territory. You've got to grow up tough with that moniker.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 07:55 PM

:lol: