PDA

View Full Version : A-hole Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants

Kiwon
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Ever wonder why the District of Columbia is a corrupt cesspool where 1 in 3 adults are illiterate? In part, because they have slime like Judge Roy Pearson serving in their local government.

This genius is suing a local dry cleaners for $65 million over a pair of pants that he claims were lost. He has already rejected settlement payments of $3,000, $4,600, and $12,000. No, he wants $65,000,000.

And this guy has the good discretion to serve as a judge? What an ass! :evil:

Read the story for yourselves:

Judge sues cleaner for $65M over pants

By LUBNA TAKRURI, Associated Press Writer

The Chungs, immigrants from South Korea, realized their American dream when they opened their dry-cleaning business seven years ago in the nation's capital. For the past two years, however, they've been dealing with the nightmare of litigation: a $65 million lawsuit over a pair of missing pants.

Jin Nam Chung, Ki Chung and their son, Soo Chung, are so disheartened that they're considering moving back to Seoul, said their attorney, Chris Manning, who spoke on their behalf.

"They're out a lot of money, but more importantly, incredibly disenchanted with the system," Manning said. "This has destroyed their lives."

The lawsuit was filed by a District of Columbia administrative hearings judge, Roy Pearson, who has been representing himself in the case.

Pearson did not return phone calls and e-mails Wednesday from The Associated Press requesting comment.

According to court documents, the problem began in May 2005 when Pearson became a judge and brought several suits for alteration to Custom Cleaners in Northeast Washington, a place he patronized regularly despite previous disagreements with the Chungs. A pair of pants from one suit was not ready when he requested it two days later, and was deemed to be missing.

Pearson asked the cleaners for the full price of the suit: more than $1,000.

But a week later, the Chungs said the pants had been found and refused to pay. That's when Pearson decided to sue.

Manning said the cleaners made three settlement offers to Pearson. First they offered $3,000, then $4,600, then $12,000. But Pearson wasn't satisfied and expanded his calculations beyond one pair of pants.

Because Pearson no longer wanted to use his neighborhood dry cleaner, part of his lawsuit calls for $15,000 — the price to rent a car every weekend for 10 years to go to another business.

"He's somehow purporting that he has a constitutional right to a dry cleaner within four blocks of his apartment," Manning said.

But the bulk of the $65 million comes from Pearson's strict interpretation of D.C.'s consumer protection law, which fines violators $1,500 per violation, per day. According to court papers, Pearson added up 12 violations over 1,200 days, and then multiplied that by three defendants.

Much of Pearson's case rests on two signs that Custom Cleaners once had on its walls: "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

Based on Pearson's dissatisfaction and the delay in getting back the pants, he claims the signs amount to fraud.

Pearson has appointed himself to represent all customers affected by such signs, though D.C. Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz, who will hear the June 11 trial, has said that this is a case about one plaintiff, and one pair of pants.

Sherman Joyce, president of the American Tort Association, has written a letter to the group of men who will decide this week whether to renew Pearson's 10-year appointment. Joyce is asking them to reconsider.

Chief Administrative Judge Tyrone Butler had no comment regarding Pearson's reappointment.

The association, which tries to police the kind of abusive lawsuits that hurt small businesses, also has offered to buy Pearson the suit of his choice.

And former National Labors Relations Board chief administrative law judge Melvin Welles wrote to The Washington Post to urge "any bar to which Mr. Pearson belongs to immediately disbar him and the District to remove him from his position as an administrative law judge."

"There has been a significant groundswell of support for the Chungs," said Manning, adding that plans for a defense fund Web site are in the works.

To the Chungs and their attorney, one of the most frustrating aspects of the case is their claim that Pearson's gray pants were found a week after Pearson dropped them off in 2005. They've been hanging in Manning's office for more than a year.

Pearson claims in court documents that his pants had blue and red pinstripes.

"They match his inseam measurements. The ticket on the pants match his receipt," Manning said.

MJZiggy
05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Hopefully this case costs him his appointment. What a twit.

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Excerpt from the article:

Pearson has appointed himself to represent all customers affected by such signs, though D.C. Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz, who will hear the June 11 trial, has said that this is a case about one plaintiff, and one pair of pants.

Sounds like the judge hearing the case has a much more level head than the plaintiff. I don't think this case will amount to much.

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
For heaven's sake! What did he leave in the pockets???

Kiwon
05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't think this case will amount to much.

I agree.

But it makes me furious that there are jerks like this, specifically lawyers, that will spend two years and hundreds of hours of research to produce thousands of legal documents to unnecessarily harass people and businesses.

They know the legal system and they use it as a club to threaten, itimidate and bully people. The fact that this guy is a judge makes his actions even more outrageous.

Here's a bit more from the Washington Post:

The case, set for trial in June, is on its second judge. The Chungs have removed the signs upon which Pearson's case rests.

"This case shocks me on a daily basis," Manning says. "Pearson has a lot of time on his hands, and the Chungs have been abused in a ghastly way. It's going to cost them tens of thousands to defend this case."

A judge in the case has admonished Pearson about his take-no-prisoners tactics. When Pearson sought to broaden the case to try to prove violations of consumer protection laws on behalf of all District residents, D.C. Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz said that "the court has significant concerns that the plaintiff is acting in bad faith" because of "the breathtaking magnitude of the expansion he seeks."

Pearson has put the Chungs and their attorneys to work answering long lists of questions, such as this: "Please identify by name, full address and telephone number, all cleaners known to you on May 1, 2005 in the District of Columbia, the United States and the world that advertise 'SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.' "

"....the District of Columbia.....the United States......the world?" - What a jerk! :evil: :evil: :evil:

BallHawk
05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm speechless.

Fortunately, I see no way this scumbag gets a single penny.

And they've even got his damn pants he claims he's missing.

"If the pants aren't tight, than the Chungs are right.

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
If the pants fit, you must acquit.

GoPackGo
05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
What goes around comes around. Ruining this Korean families lives like this will come back to haunt him or someone he is close too. Believe it

GrnBay007
05-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Sick! A story like this shouldn't even be in the news. The Judge's son needs to kick him in the ass. ...really.

LEWCWA
05-04-2007, 01:40 AM
This stuff truely saddens me, but doesn't suprise me at all. Our whole judicial system is broken from the police to the judges and everyone inbetween! You either have to be rich or poor to even have a chance at justice!

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm glad this story is in the news... the more coverage the better. Expose this jerk's blatant and sickening abuse of the legal system, and there should be immense pressure to remove him from the bench and possibly disbar him altogether.

Kiwon
06-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Remember this guy.......?

Judge Now Only Wants $54 Million From Dry Cleaners for Lost Pants

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Washington (AP)

A judge who was seeking $67 million from a dry cleaners that lost his pants has loosened the belt on his lawsuit. Now, he's asking for only $54 million, according to a May 30 court filing in D.C. Superior Court.

Roy L. Pearson, a District of Columbia administrative law judge, first sued Custom Cleaners over a pair of pants that went missing two years ago. He was seeking about $65 million under the D.C. consumer protection act and almost $2 million in common law claims.

He is now focusing his claims on signs in the shop that have since been removed. The suit alleges that Jin Nam Chung, Soo Chung and Ki Chung committed fraud and misled consumers with signs that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

But Chris Manning, the Chungs' attorney, says that can be considered fraud only if the signs misled a "reasonable" person. No reasonable person, he says, would interpret them to be an unconditional promise of satisfaction.

Pearson, who is representing himself, said in an e-mail that the focus of the case, from the start, was based on the "false, misleading and fraudulent advertisements displayed by the Chungs."
.................................................. .......................

As many legitimate consumer fraud cases as there are, it is the ridiculous ones like this case that hurts everyone. It's a minor miracle this corrupt scambag judge doesn't get struck by lightning.

I know who his heros are: Marion Barry, Impeached federal judge Alcee Hastings and indicted Congressman William Jefferson ($90,000 in the freezer). It is disgusting when public officials disregard every oath they have ever taken and try to scam the system.

Man, oh man, what's it say about D.C. if a piece of human excrement like this guy is entrusted to serve the public? :evil:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Washington (AP)

A judge who was seeking $67 million from a dry cleaners that lost his pants has loosened the belt on his lawsuit. Now, he's asking for only $54 million, according to a May 30 court filing in D.C. Superior Court.

Roy L. Pearson, a District of Columbia administrative law judge, first sued Custom Cleaners over a pair of pants that went missing two years ago. He was seeking about $65 million under the D.C. consumer protection act and almost $2 million in common law claims.

He is now focusing his claims on signs in the shop that have since been removed. The suit alleges that Jin Nam Chung, Soo Chung and Ki Chung committed fraud and misled consumers with signs that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

But Chris Manning, the Chungs' attorney, says that can be considered fraud only if the signs misled a "reasonable" person. No reasonable person, he says, would interpret them to be an unconditional promise of satisfaction.

Pearson, who is representing himself, said in an e-mail that the focus of the case, from the start, was based on the "false, misleading and fraudulent advertisements displayed by the Chungs."

As many legitimate consumer fraud cases as there are, it is the ridiculous ones like this case that hurts everyone. It's a minor miracle this corrupt scambag judge doesn't get struck by lightning.

I know who his heros are: Marion Barry, Impeached federal judge Alcee Hastings and indicted Congressman William Jefferson ($90,000 in the freezer). It is disgusting when public officials disregard every oath they have ever taken and try to scam the system.

Man, oh man, what's it say about D.C. if a piece of human excrement like this guy is entrusted to serve the public? :evil:

No, i think his heroes are Scooter libby, Tom Delay, Bob Ney, John Doolittle, Conrad Burns, David Safavian, Duke Cunningham,...should I go on.

Please stop with your incessant bashing of liberals/dems. It is tiresome, pedantic and frankly stupid.

BallHawk
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Whoops, didn't realize William Jefferson had already been added. :oops:

swede
06-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Washington (AP)

No, i think his heroes are Scooter libby, Tom Delay, Bob Ney, John Doolittle, Conrad Burns, David Safavian, Duke Cunningham,...should I go on.

Please stop with your incessant bashing of liberals/dems. It is tiresome, pedantic and frankly stupid.

I find the bashing of dems and liberals amusing, heartwarming, and entirely called for.

falco
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Washington (AP)

I find the bashing of dems and liberals amusing, heartwarming, and entirely called for.

Just like baseball, mom and apple pie, eh... :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
06-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Washington (AP)

Ok. Then explain how his hero would be those dems...and not the Repubs listed?

Furthermore explain why one eccentric judge should be linked to either party.

Kiwon
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
He's pulling out all the stops. Now he's crying in court over his "lost" pants! :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a scoundrel!
.................................................. ......................

Judge chokes up in court recalling his lost trousers

WASHINGTON (AP) — A judge had to leave the courtroom with tears running down his face Tuesday after recalling the lost pair of trousers that led to his $54 million lawsuit against a dry cleaner.

Administrative law judge Roy L. Pearson had argued earlier in his opening statement that he is acting in the interest of all city residents against poor business practices. Defense attorneys called his claim "outlandish."

He originally sued Custom Cleaners for about $65 million under the District of Columbia consumer protection act and almost $2 million in common law claims. He is no longer seeking damages related to the pants, instead focusing his claims on two signs in the shop that have since been removed.

He alleges that Jin Chung, Soo Chung and Ki Chung, owners of the mom-and-pop business, committed fraud and misled consumers with signs that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "Same Day Service."

Pearson, representing himself, said in opening that he wanted to examine the culture that allowed "a group of defendants to engage in bad business practices for five years."

An attorney for the Chungs portrayed Pearson as a bitter man with financial troubles stemming from a recent divorce who is taking out his anger on a hardworking family.

"This case is very simple. It's about one sign and the plaintiff's outlandish interpretation," attorney Chris Manning said.

The Chungs were to present their case Wednesday. Manning asked D.C. Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff to award them reimbursement for their legal costs if they win.

Pearson called several witnesses Tuesday who testified that they stopped going to Custom Cleaners after problems with misplaced clothes.

Pearson also called himself as a witness, saying his problems began in May 2005 when he brought in several suits for alterations. A pair of pants from a blue and maroon suit was missing when he requested it two days later. He said Soo Chung tried to give him a pair of charcoal gray pants.

As Pearson explained that those weren't the pants for the suit, he choked up and left the courtroom crying after asking Bartnoff for a break.

Pearson originally asked the cleaners for the full price of the suit, which was more than $1,000. But because the Chungs insisted the pants had been found, they refused to pay.

Manning has said the cleaners made three settlement offers to Pearson, but the judge was not satisfied and increased his demands — including asking for money to rent a car so he could drive to another business.

packinpatland
06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Live Vote
Does this suit have a leg to stand on? * 52335 responses

Yes. While $65 million or even $54 million might be a bit much, the judge makes a point about taking care of your customers, and delivering what you promise
2.5%

No. You must be kidding. The judge should be forced to trade his business suit for another one ... something in horizontal stripes
97%
Not a scientific survey. Click to learn more. Results may not total 100% due to rounding

Let a jury decide this!!!!

packinpatland
06-12-2007, 07:19 PM
And award some sort of punitive damages to the Korean couple.

MJZiggy
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Absolutely. And I still say this dude should be removed from the bench. If he's filing idiotic suits and crying in court over a pair of pants, how is he supposed to hear cases objectively?

Zool
06-13-2007, 07:32 AM
How the hell did this thing ever get to trial? Lawyers are the downfall of western civilization.

packinpatland
06-13-2007, 07:35 AM
"Kill the lawyers, kill them all"

Shakespeare, right?

BallHawk
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
"Shakespeare, right?

Yup. It's from Henry the VI.

Harlan Huckleby
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
maybe they're really nice pants.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I believe dry cleaing should be left to the chinese and their ancient chinese secrets.

Zool
06-14-2007, 12:38 PM
"We need more Calgon!"

MJZiggy
06-14-2007, 12:40 PM
maybe they're really nice pants.

I've seen a picture. They're pants.

mngolf19
06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
He is actually likely to win the lawsuit but not at the amount he is asking. The judge in this case would really only have to decide if the case has merit at all. Then he can make a judgement of what is realistic for $. By the way, the guy is asking for $2M in damages-$500k attorneys fees- and the rest would go to a consumer protection group. Just clarifying.

packinpatland
06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
What pants are worth $2M????????

GoPackGo
06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19414287?GT1=10056

Dry cleaner wins in $54 million suit for pants
Judge rules plaintiff must pay court costs

WASHINGTON - A judge ruled Monday in favor of a dry cleaner that was sued for $54 million over a missing pair of pants.

The owners of Custom Cleaners did not violate the city's Consumer Protection Act by failing to live up to Roy L. Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store window, District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled.

Bartnoff ordered Pearson to pay the court costs of defendants Soo Chung, Jin Nam Chung and Ki Y. Chung.

Pearson, an administrative law judge, originally sought $67 million from the Chungs, claiming they lost a pair of suit trousers and later tried to give him a pair that he said was not his. He arrived at the amount by adding up years of alleged law violations and almost $2 million in common law claims.

Pearson later dropped demands for damages related to the pants and focused his claims on signs in the shop, which have since been removed.

Chris Manning, the Chungs' attorney, argued that no reasonable person would interpret the signs to mean an unconditional promise of satisfaction.

The Chungs said the trial had taken an enormous financial and emotional toll on them and exposed them to widespread ridicule.

The two-day trial earlier this month drew a standing-room-only crowd and overshadowed the drunken driving trial of former Mayor Marion Barry.

thank god common sense prevailed on this one.

digitaldean
06-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Now it sounds like that Judge (who is appointed to renewable terms) may lose his post. The same panel that initially recommended he get reappointed has now reversed its recommendation.

Sounds justice may be done after all!

MJZiggy
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Good. That's what I was hoping for. Any sitting judge should have the ability to determine whether his claim is legitimate or frivolous and should use common sense in all legal matters.

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Packface wrote:

My exact sentiment.

Kiwon
06-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello from the Philippines.

Just read the news. I'm happy with the outcome and echo the sentiment wondering why the lawsuit even got as far as it did.

I hope the judge loses his position and takes a job as a delivery boy for a dry cleaners.

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Kiwon, are you in Manila?

Kiwon
06-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Until Saturday.

BallHawk
06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Business or pleasure?

Kiwon
06-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Business or pleasure?

Both. Nothing in the Philippines is all business. The hospitality of the people is too great. Beautiful place. Everyone should visit.

Joemailman
07-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Until Saturday.

Shopping for shoes?

the_idle_threat
07-07-2007, 06:46 AM
$54 Million Pants Lawsuit Not Over Yet

$54 Million Pants Plaintiff to Ask Judge to Reconsider Ruling

Dry Cleaners Ask for $83,000 in Legal Fees

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3352645

By SCOTT MICHELS
July 6, 2007

The case of the $54 million pants continues.

The man who sued a Washington, D.C., dry cleaners for $54 million over a missing pair of pants plans to ask the judge who threw out his case to reconsider her ruling, the dry cleaners' lawyer said today.

Roy Pearson wrote to Christopher Manning, who is representing the Custom Cleaners dry cleaning shop, this week to alert him that he planned to ask Judge Judith Bartnoff to overturn her ruling, Manning said.

Bartnoff ruled last month that Pearson's lawsuit against Soo and Jin Chung, the Korean immigrants who own Custom Cleaners, had no merit, saying that he was "entitled to no relief whatsoever." Pearson had asked for $54 million because he said the Chungs had lost a pair of his prized trousers, despite signs that promised "Satisfaction Guaranteed."

Pearson plans to argue that Bartnoff failed to address his legal claims and will ask her to reverse her ruling, Manning said.

In correspondence this week, Manning asked Pearson to reconsider his appeal — and to move on. Pearson responded by saying he would continue to fight for the best interests of the public.

Calling the case a "multimillion-dollar nightmare," Manning filed court papers Thursday asking Bartnoff to force Pearson to pay nearly $83,000 in legal fees. Bartnoff has already ordered Pearson to pay the Chungs' court costs, which are about $5,000, Manning said.

The case, which lasted two years, gained national attention soon after the lawsuit was filed. Pearson, a former administrative law judge, drew fire not only from an outraged public, but from trial lawyers and tort reform advocates across the country.

A panel that selects Washington's administrative law judges is considering whether to reappoint Pearson to a 10-year term as a judge. [Editor's note: FUCK NO]

The American Tort Reform Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce are hosting a fundraiser for the Chungs July 24.

Surprise!!! This pissmop just doesn't wanna give it up. It figures he would appeal though, given that he's taken it this far and has nothing left to lose. His 15 min. window is closing rapidly.

BallHawk
07-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Scumbag.

Kiwon
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
$54 Million Pants Lawsuit Not Over Yet

Pearson plans to argue that Bartnoff failed to address his legal claims and will ask her to reverse her ruling, Manning said.

What part of "you lost" doesn't this guy understand? I bet he will go to jail before he pays the Chungs anything.

It's unbelievable that this guy could have donned a robe and sat in judgment of others.

MJZiggy
08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Quick update...

Pants Plaintiff Still Waits on Status as Judge

By Joe Holley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 2, 2007; 10:22 AM

The Washington man who filed a $54 million lawsuit over a missing pair of pants must wait a few more days to find out whether he'll continue to serve as a D.C. administrative law judge.

Roy Pearson expected to learn his fate last night, after a judicial panel reviewing whether he should keep his job met for several hours. The three-judge panel did not reach a decision and is now expected to decide early next week.

Pearson, who has practiced law for 25 years, was appointed an administrative law judge in 2005. Administrative law judges are city employees who hear disputes between a government agency and individuals who have lodged complaints against the agency.

Meanwhile, a fundraiser last week for Pearson's adversaries in the missing pants case, Soo Chung and Jin Nam Chung, raised more than $60,000 toward their legal bills. An earlier appeal garnered more than $30,000 for the Chungs, owners of Custom Cleaners and Dry Cleaners in Northeast.

Although the total amount comes close to covering the family's legal expenses, Pearson is expected to file additional appeals. Superior Court Judge Judith Barnoff ruled six weeks ago that the Chungs did not owe Pearson anything.

packinpatland
08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
This went way past borderline ridiculous awhile ago.

They should put together a panel to decide the guys' mental status, and then check him in somewhere.

Kiwon
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Roy Pearson expected to learn his fate last night, after a judicial panel reviewing whether he should keep his job met for several hours. The three-judge panel did not reach a decision and is now expected to decide early next week.

This should have been the shortest meeting in history. The answer is "No!"

This is a perfect example of two things:
1. The entitlement mentality when it relates to government employment and benefits.
2. The nauseating corruption of D.C.

woodbuck27
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Did he leave something. . . really important. . . in the pockets?

Kiwon
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Update: (copied from a Korean website)

Laundry Involved in Missing Pants Case Closes Shop

September 20, 2007 – 9:42 am

The Chungs who ran the laundry involved in the US$54 million missing pants lawsuit have decided to close shop.

The reason for the closing, according to their lawyer, are mental stress resulting from the lawsuit and declining revenues.

Although former judge Pearson never won the case in court, he did win in the end by driving the Chungs out of business. Not a good day for the little guy.

MJZiggy
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
They should sue him for lost revenue. Buck up, Chungs. Hopefully there will be public outrage and people who own dry-cleanable clothes should all go to their shop.

MJZiggy
10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Now it's done.

http://wtop.com/?sid=1275886&nid=25

Pants Judge to Lose Job
October 23, 2007 - 8:26am
judge roy pearson
Roy Pearson has been under fire since he sued Custom Cleaners. (AP)
WASHINGTON - The administrative law judge who lost a $54 million lawsuit against a D.C. dry cleaner is about to lose his job, The Washington Post reports.

A D.C. commission on Monday voted behind closed doors not to reappoint Pearson to the bench for another 10 years.

Sources tell the paper the decision isn't final until the panel sends Pearson a letter formally letting him know. That letter could go out early next week.

In making its decision the panel reviewed not only the lawsuit but also Pearson's work and temperament as a judge. He was appointed in 2005 to an initial two-year term.

The Chungs, who owned Custom Cleaners in Northeast, sold the business because of the revenue losses and emotional toll the family suffered as a result of the lawsuit.

Pearson, who originally sued for $67 million, lost his suit when a judge ruled that the Chungs did not violate the consumer protection law by failing to live up to Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store.

The Chungs, who found found Pearson's lost pair of pants, had offered to settle the case.

Not done yet...And there's THIS

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=1182539&nid=25

Cleaners Seek $83K From Judge
July 6, 2007 - 4:24pm
judge roy pearson
Judge Roy Pearson's suit renewed calls for litigation reform. (AP)
Neal Augenstein, WTOP Radio

WASHINGTON - Custom Cleaners wants the administrative law judge who lost his $54 million suit against the cleaners to pay their lawyers' fees -- $82,907.50.

Attorney Christopher C. S. Manning, who represents the Chung family, filed the Motion for Attorneys' Fees in D.C. Superior Court.

Manning says Roy L. Pearson's lawsuit was a perfect example of a bad faith, bizarre odyssey that should have been a very simple small claims court case. He says Pearson set out to destroy the lives of a hardworking immigrant family through outrageous litigation.

Manning writes that Pearson, an administrative law judge and attorney, "should have known better."

The court filing claims that Pearson, who originally sued for $67 million over a pair of pants, "consistently sought to harass and intimidate Defendants and unnecessarily drive up Defendants' litigation costs."

Court records show Pearson has not yet filed his motion to have the judge reconsider her ruling against him, and he's indicated he will appeal.

Last month Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled that the Chungs did not violate the consumer protection law by failing to live up to Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store.

Pearson, whose lost pants were found, had previously rejected several settlement offers, including one for $12,000.

mraynrand
10-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Now it's done.

I doubt it. What do you want to bet the judge will sue his employers for wrongful termination?

Kiwon
10-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Now it's done.

I doubt it. What do you want to bet the judge will sue his employers for wrongful termination?

Ouch! You're probably right.

I guess I'm naive but I thought that the Judge would have already been responsible for the Chungs legal fees.

Something is wrong when a nut can bring an off-the-wall lawsuit against someone and they are still out $83,000.

mraynrand
10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Now it's done.

I guess I'm naive but I thought that the Judge would have already been responsible for the Chungs legal fees.

Something is wrong when a nut can bring an off-the-wall lawsuit against someone and they are still out $83,000.

How do you think the ALCU wins all those suits - most people can't afford to fight a legal battle, so they put the crucifiction in a drawer or storage shed.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Now it's done.

How do you think the ALCU wins all those suits - most people can't afford to fight a legal battle, so they put the crucifiction in a drawer or storage shed.

ah, yes, wouldn't be a good day without rand getting in a dig at a "liberal" institution.

Your point, which is pretty much bs..as the aclu targets aren't for the most part small businesses, is the law of the land...if you are big and have money you can ride out a lawsuit. Pretty much standard tactics for any large corp battling a smaller company or individual.

mraynrand
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Your point, which is pretty much bs..as the aclu targets aren't for the most part small businesses, is the law of the land...if you are big and have money you can ride out a lawsuit. Pretty much standard tactics for any large corp battling a smaller company or individual.

Go look at the stats. The ACLU has won a huge number of suits based on the inability of the defendant to afford the costs. Businesses and hospitals likewise make financial decisions to hand out awards that are less expensive than the legal fees. The Lawyers know it's a game that they can win, just like the ACLU. I never said the ACLU targets businesses - that was your misread - so the B.S. you claim is of your own making - especially since you agree with me that the tactic is 'the law of the land.'

Kiwon
12-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Here's a nice follow-up on this story.

Leave it to recent immigrants to remind native-born Americans of what the country should be like.

Watch the short video.

http://iamlawsuitabuse.org/stories/story.asp?s=43254