PDA

View Full Version : Talented LB with Marijuana problem

RashanGary
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Green Bay - If 2007 is to be remembered as the draft for character in the National Football League, linebacker Rory Johnson will go down as one of the big losers.

Packers/NFL

Photo/AP

The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions were the only teams to express interest in Rory Johnson (left) after the draft. He accepted a two-year deal from the Packers.

I'm aggressive, hard-nosed and love going to the ball. I just play hard. I like earning my stuff better than it getting handed to me.

- Rory Johnson

Thirty-two linebackers were selected in the seven rounds but only seven had a faster 40-yard dash time than Johnson. With a 4.58-second clocking and a 38-inch vertical jump, he stood out athletically from most of the crowd.

But when the 18-hour 5-minute draft ground to a halt late Sunday afternoon, Johnson was without a job. However, he wasn't caught by surprise.

On Monday, Johnson admitted that he failed one test for marijuana during his two years at Hinds College, a two-year school in Mississippi. He also admitted that he failed one test for marijuana during his only season at the University of Mississippi.

"It was a long, wasted weekend," Johnson said. "I knew I'd probably be a later round but I didn't think I was going to be a free agent."

The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions were the only teams to express interest in Johnson after the draft. He took a two-year deal from the Packers that contained a $2,500 signing bonus.

"We just felt like it was OK to take a chance as a free agent," general manager Ted Thompson said. "We just feel like the risk there is OK."

Johnson, a third-year junior, said he no longer used marijuana.

"Yeah, I stopped," he said. "I have no choice if I want to do what I love doing. I believe it was just a learning step."

Johnson, who turned 21 last month, said he was aware that as long as he remained in the NFL he would be subjected to random drug testing. If Johnson runs afoul of the substance-abuse policy, the Packers would have egg on their face for signing him and Johnson's career would be finished.

"I'm just happy and thankful that they did give me a chance," said Johnson, whose only tie to Green Bay is assistant special teams coach Shawn Slocum, the Rebels' linebackers coach in 2005. "For him to even give me a shot like this, I'm just very grateful for it."

Johnson, 6 feet and 240 pounds, played two seasons in junior college but wasn't enrolled at Ole Miss until last August. He started seven of 12 games on the weak side next to middle linebacker Patrick Willis, the 11th pick in the draft. He also put his hand down as an end on passing downs.

In good-natured fashion, Johnson wouldn't concede that Willis was a better player than him. And he expressed confidence that he would make the Packers' 53-man roster.

"I'm aggressive, hard-nosed and love going to the ball," he said. "I just play hard. I like earning my stuff better than it getting handed to me."

Johnson finished with 94 tackles (three for loss), one-half sack and five turnover plays. At the combine, he scored 18 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

Clearly, Johnson is the most recognized player among the seven undrafted free agents known to have agreed to terms with the Packers. Thompson expects to sign eight or nine.

"We didn't intend to but somehow we got 11 picks this time," Thompson said. "That cuts down on the free agency thing. If you draft seven, naturally there would be more."

MadtownPacker
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
The dude smoked weed. Big deal.

If he keeps his nose clean then who cares. Not like he beat on his chica or shot someone.

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Wasn't this is essence what Ricky Williams had trouble with?

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Mad, it's a big deal now because if he continues to do it can lead to a suspension. Also, if he can't give it up, how dedicated is he? Hopefully the fact that he didn't get drafted, even though he's a good player, will convince him he needs to change if he wants to play in the NFL.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM

"Yeah, I stopped," he said. "I have no choice if I want to do what I love doing. I believe it was just a learning step."
There you Joe. He is saying he wont. But really, is smoking weed illegally worse then some player getting drunk legally and then crashing into a car and killing someone (Leonard Little)?

Freak Out
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Herb should be legal...but an employer like the NFL/Green Bay Packers should have the right to say no drug use while employed.
Does the NFL suspend you because its a banned substance or because of performance issues? Lol.....

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Seems like a sleeper pick up by the packers.

BlueBrewer
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
If I had to guess I would say there are at least 10 packers on the current roster who are regular ganja smokers. They are notified like a month in advance of tests so if you fail you are a fucking retard. A friend of a friend who was the 3rd qb last year was one and corey williams is a toker, I would guess Al Harris, and have you ever looked at Fergesons eyes....the only difference is that this guy is out in the open. I hope he succeeds, it will make for a good story.

FritzDontBlitz
05-03-2007, 12:34 PM
how many teenagers havent smoked weed in their lives?

FritzDontBlitz
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM

or at least a sleepy-EYED pick? heh 8-)

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 12:46 PM

or at least a sleepy-EYED pick? heh 8-)

:lol:

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 02:41 PM

There you Joe. He is saying he wont. But really, is smoking weed illegally worse then some player getting drunk legally and then crashing into a car and killing someone (Leonard Little)?

I wouldn't care if he smokes it if the league didn't care. I hope he can stay clean because he could be another Packer 7th round steal if he does. He's a 230+lb RB with 4.45 speed. Hopefully Edgar Bennett, who was one of the smartest players I ever saw, can have some influence on him.

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
If I had to guess I would say there are at least 10 packers on the current roster who are regular ganja smokers. They are notified like a month in advance of tests so if you fail you are a fucking retard. A friend of a friend who was the 3rd qb last year was one and corey williams is a toker, I would guess Al Harris, and have you ever looked at Fergesons eyes....the only difference is that this guy is out in the open. I hope he succeeds, it will make for a good story.

Fergy always looks like that. Are you saying... :P

OS PA
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't care if he smokes it if the league didn't care. I hope he can stay clean because he could be another Packer 7th round steal if he does. He's a 230+lb RB with 4.45 speed. Hopefully Edgar Bennett, who was one of the smartest players I ever saw, can have some influence on him.

Linebacker, not Running Back =(

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
My bad. I was thinking about Wynn. :oops:

b bulldog
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
I really like the undrafted Fa's we have signed. I think four of them could be in line to strongly compete for a roster spot. One more good thing about these kids, they can be had on the cheap.

RashanGary
05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I could care less about weed but it's the fact that these guys have a chance ot make millions and they keep messing up and doing the same thing. It makes me think there is a real problem.

With that in mind, nobody wants to draft a player only to see him suspended for drugs. If he's got the problem that his reoccuring substance abuse charges would indicate then there is some real risk. His measurables are off the charts though adn the way he makes it sound, he's pretty damn good at playing football too.