PDA

View Full Version : The Pearl

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_on_re_mi_ea/gulf_largest_pearl

Got my MC statement last week and saw an air fare purchased to Abu Dhabi! $2300.00! Asked my husband if he was going after the pearl, sadly, no was his reply :(
Am now in 'negotiations' with MC.

oregonpackfan
05-03-2007, 01:53 PM
"You can't always get what you want..."

Mick Jagger :(

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Spent all afternoon with MC. Right now ALL I WANT is for them to remove this charge from my account!

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I'd like to add, it was a ONE WAY ticket!!!!!!

MJZiggy
05-03-2007, 02:53 PM
You would think that they'd be able to match the charge to the ticket and know who it was.... :?

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
That would be logical. The charge was made in the UK. I'd have to imagine some sort of fake ID was used.
Kind of scarey.
Who ever did this, did have the sense to book 1st class :roll:

Kiwon
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
So is it a case of identity theft or just some sort of billing mistake on MC's side?

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
In Dec. we noticed a similar thing, but it was only $220.00. MC at that time said it was in all likelyhood a key stroke error.
Now they are having us close and open accts.

Kiwon
05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I would get a copy of my credit report if I were you and make sure that other credit card accounts have not been opened in your name.

Sounds like the December charge was a trial run and the latest one was the objective. That account needs to be closed (as MC advises). You can bet that the card info has been shared with several others, not just your UK "friend" going to Dubai.

Scary stuff! I hope that everything gets resolved quickly.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Kiwons right, the CC has to be cancelled. You should also file a police report at your local PD (take all the paperwork from MC). You then should "lock" your credit. That means making it so that credit is not given out or even inquired about in your names to anyone unless they can answer question that only you would know. You can only lock it for seven years at a time but it sounds like that is the best road to take.

MJZiggy
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Kiwons right, the CC has to be cancelled. You should also file a police report at your local PD (take all the paperwork from MC). You then should "lock" your credit. That means making it so that credit is not given out or even inquired about in your names to anyone unless they can answer question that only you would know. You can only lock it for seven years at a time but it sounds like that is the best road to take.

The other thing to note is that you don't have to have your identity stolen to "lock" your credit this way. If anyone contacts the 3 credit bureaus, you can have a fraud alert put on your credit history and they will not give credit then either. That not only is ok (but not foolproof) protection, but really cuts down on the credit offers in the mail.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

The other thing to note is that you don't have to have your identity stolen to "lock" your credit this way. If anyone contacts the 3 credit bureaus, you can have a fraud alert put on your credit history and they will not give credit then either. That not only is ok (but not foolproof) protection, but really cuts down on the credit offers in the mail.You are almost correct but if you dont have a police report they will only lock it for like 90 or 180 days.

BWT anyone can call some 800 # to stop getting those offers. The number should be at the bottom of those offers.

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Everyone. thank you so much for info.

LL2
05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe you can make some money doing a commercial about the pearl you never got lip syncing another person voice.

packinpatland
05-03-2007, 10:37 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-04-2007, 08:15 AM
That would be logical. The charge was made in the UK. I'd have to imagine some sort of fake ID was used.
Kind of scarey.
Who ever did this, did have the sense to book 1st class :roll:

I think the CC company can only hold you on the hook for $50 as long as you catch the fraud within a reasonable period of time. I agree with the others here. At the first sign of identitiy fraud, I'm moving to Defcon II security precautions.

I've heard of people spending years getting this kind of thing straightened out.

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
The first improper transaction we caught. The second one, months later for $2300.00, MC actually called us to alert us.
We have closed and changed accts. The charge still shows on the acct, they say, until it is entirely investigated.
We haven't encountered any problems with additional fraudulent transactions.
It has made us very wary, of everything purchased, of how we dispose of mail, even filling out medical forms.

Think about this: When you are at the Dr's office and are asked to fill out a form for their files, most of the time you are asked for your SSI#. Look where those files are filed.... walls are filled with vertical file stacks. Who supervises the miminum-wage cleaners when they are alone in the office after hours??? ID theft is all around us.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
The first improper transaction we caught. The second one, months later for $2300.00, MC actually called us to alert us.
We have closed and changed accts. The charge still shows on the acct, they say, until it is entirely investigated.
We haven't encountered any problems with additional fraudulent transactions.
It has made us very wary, of everything purchased, of how we dispose of mail, even filling out medical forms.

Think about this: When you are at the Dr's office and are asked to fill out a form for their files, most of the time you are asked for your SSI#. Look where those files are filed.... walls are filled with vertical file stacks. Who supervises the miminum-wage cleaners when they are alone in the office after hours??? ID theft is all around us.

Change a digit in your SS# and phone number. If I don't think a company needs my address, I usually give:

1313 Mockingbird Lane

Anyone remember what that's from?

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
The Munsters?

Scott Campbell
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
The Munsters?

Yup!

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I hate it when I can remember senseless things, yet can't remember where the car keys are.