03-31-2006, 01:25 PM
http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.5812

A.J. Hawk, Ohio State
Height: 6-1
Weight: 243
Likely Draft Position: Top Six Picks
Possible Destinations: Jets, Packers, 49ers
NFL Comparison: Takeo Spikes

Simply put, Hawk was put on this planet to play linebacker in the NFL. He's got everything you could ask of the position: size, speed, instincts, the ability to cover sideline to sideline and the desire to seek out the ball carrier and throw him to the ground. The NFL comparisons scouts have for Hawk—among them Spikes, Brian Urlacher, and Derrick Brooks—speak volumes about his pro potential.

About the only blemish you'll find on Hawk's scouting report is that he's not particularly fluid—"stiff hips," in Kiper-speak—which could hinder him somewhat in coverage. Clearly, that's quibbling; any team in the league would be more than happy to line up Hawk on the weakside and let him do his thing.

Either Hawk or end Mario Williams will be the first defensive player off the board, and most mocks have him on his way to the Packers with the fifth overall selection. The green jersey would sure make things easy for Hawk's sister, whom last we saw was sporting a split Ohio State/Notre Dame jersey for the Fiesta Bowl because she's Irish quarterback Brady Quinn's girlfriend.

GoPackGo
03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
We better get him, I'm ordering a Hawk jersey the Day after draft day

HarveyWallbangers
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
We better get him, I'm ordering a Hawk jersey the Day after draft day

Yeah, that's one that would be cool. I'm not sure a Vernon Davis would be as cool.

Deputy Nutz
03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Gee we can't find anything wrong with him, but he is white, so he doesn't have fluid hips.

MJZiggy
03-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Never heard of men being so interested in other mens' hips.

No Mo Moss
03-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Seriously, and you can't tell me that Kiper doesn't spend just as much time on his hair as most women.

Partial
03-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I don't why anyone would want Davis when you can get a defensive leader like this:

A.J. Hawk, linebacker, Ohio State

Dick Corrick, an NFL scout for 30 years, reports on A.J. Hawk, a 6-2, 245-pound linebacker from Ohio State:

"He's an old-fashioned football player. Gosh this guy is active. He's a playmaker. He's a willing, aggressive, wrap-up tackler. He runs to the ball. He plays with temperament. He has a knack to locate the ball. He has very good range. He can change direction in the open field to tackle. He plays hard every down. He's all over the field. He showed great range on the goal line. He has a great heart. He's highly competitive. I compare him to (Brian) Urlacher, only in the sense of his recklessness and his passion. I'm sure he can't run like Urlacher. But playing the game, he reminds me of Urlacher. He's going to be an inside guy. The only negative I had on him was that Ohio State doesn't protect its linebackers with down linemen and so he has to play off blockers. And sometimes he really got bounced by the lineman. But a lot of that is he's running so hard sometimes he doesn't see those people sneaking up on him. He's awfully, awfully good. He's the kind of guy you'd pay to see play. He plays balls out."

LEWCWA
04-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Why? because Hawk will be a very good player and Davis will be a player that revolutionizes the game!

Partial
04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
how we he revolutionize the game? There is no way he plays at the same speed he ran on a fast track.

He might be fast. If he was some revolutionary player, hands down he would go number 2. Reggie Bush is supposedly going to revolutionize the position by being able to play in the slot, return punts, do it all. If Davis was that good, you'd hear him in the same company.

Let me ask you this, how many of you have seen him play in more than one game? He is getting all this hype over his combine numbers. He had 6 touchdowns in 12 games last year. For being the lone offensive playmaker on a bad team, you'd think he'd score atleast once a game if he was so dominant.

Yes, he put up freakish numbers at the combine. But, you're ignoring the fact realistically he is probably too slow to be a receiver. I don't buy his combine numbers. He spent the last three months training specifically for that sprint guaranteed. He is also extremely short for a tight end at 6'3".

He is good; don't get me wrong. He averaged about 80 yards a game last season. Keep in mind he only had one good year while starting for two. AJ Hawk had 3 amazing years, and 4 very good years. AJ Hawk is amazing. He is the best linebacker prospect to come out in like ten years. If you ask me those comparisons to Zach Thomas are not right. He is much faster and much more assignment sure. He is going to be a freaking monster in the Derek Thomas mold.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I like Davis, but revolutionize the game is a bit of a stretch. He played well at Maryland, but he surely didn't play up to the expectations his numbers at the combine have put on him. Based on just his play alone, before the combine, I think he would have fallen some where between 15 and 20.

Mercedes Lewis was a great tight end prospect, and based on his play alone at UCLA he would have been fighting for the #1 tight end spot, but he ran a 4.78 forty and now he most likely will fall some where in the second half of round 2.

Be careful of judging players based on workout numbers.

Homer Jay
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Its Vernon Davis' turn to be the new flavor of the moment. First it was Vince young. Then it was Jay Cutler, and now its Vernon Davis. Now Young and Cutler have dropped out of many peoples top 5 and soon it will be someone else's turn to be the new favorite. Until the draft is actually held there will be lots of names moved up and down the list. Who's next? My guess is Sam Huff.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2006, 11:08 PM
At worste, Hawk is Katzenmoyer. At best he is Nail Diggs. In between he is Dat Nguyen.

Hawk is overrated. Trade Walker for Randy Moss and draft Michael Huff.

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Why not pick another OSU stiff if you are going to compare him to Katz and Diggs? Nguyen went to Texas A&M.

Partial
04-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Its Vernon Davis' turn to be the new flavor of the moment. First it was Vince young. Then it was Jay Cutler, and now its Vernon Davis. Now Young and Cutler have dropped out of many peoples top 5 and soon it will be someone else's turn to be the new favorite. Until the draft is actually held there will be lots of names moved up and down the list. Who's next? My guess is Sam Huff.

I wonder if Davis is going to have a pro-day? Anyway, it won't be Huff that falls. He's done working out. He'll stay right where he is. My guess is one of the USC boys moves up or down a lot tomorrow. Lendale being top 10 coming in at 10 pounds lighter and running a 4.4? We'll have to see what happens

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Why not pick another OSU stiff if you are going to compare him to Katz and Diggs? Nguyen went to Texas A&M.

I dont know any other OSU lb, past or present. But i do think Hawk and Nguyen are good college LBs but so and so as pros (even though Hawk has yet played in the NFL).

Patler
04-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Davis is too big for WR, too small for TE. He will be a disappointment to whomever drafts him, unless they convert him to linebacker!

Partial
04-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't think he is too big to be a receiver (is that possible?). I think if he can play as fast as his 40 time he'll be a player. I am very, very cynical about that, though. If he is infact that fast he will be like a TO.

Patler
04-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't think he is too big to be a receiver (is that possible?). I think if he can play as fast as his 40 time he'll be a player. I am very, very cynical about that, though. If he is infact that fast he will be like a TO.

Fast and quick are two diffferent things. He might be real fast, in a straight line. I wonder if he has quickness? To be successful, WRs need to be quick into and out of their cuts. Speed is a bonus on top of that.

Partial
04-02-2006, 12:35 AM
thats true. I doubt he is that quick, but I have no idea. I really don't think he is as fast as Calhoun who ran a 4.7 at the combine. Plus, thats on a fast track. There has to be some flaw in him, because at that speed teams would use him as a receiver, which in turn negates the validity of "taking a tightend too high". I am really not sure what to think on him. I think he'll be a good player. Probably a top 2-3 tight end. Hawk's gotta be the pick. He will be a top 2-3 linebacker, and if they want to be competitive this year with the Favre unit they bring in the battletested linebacker.

BF4MVP
04-02-2006, 12:54 AM
The green jersey would sure make things easy for Hawk's sister, whom last we saw was sporting a split Ohio State/Notre Dame jersey for the Fiesta Bowl because she's Irish quarterback Brady Quinn's girlfriend.
WTF...A.J. Hawk is dating Laura Quinn, Brady Quinn's sister..Brady Quinn is not dating A.J. Hawk's sister..Could it be possible that some random guy just wrote that? I'm sure a professional would not have screwed that up..

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Found this:

Hawk: All part of the process Click here to find out more!

(A.J. Hawk is arguably the best linebacker in the 2006 NFL Draft and could be a top-five pick. In his senior year at Ohio State, Hawk helped lead the Buckeyes to a 10-2 record and a 34-20 victory over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. NFL.com brings you updates from Hawk as he approaches the draft.)

(March 31, 2006) -- I'm back at school now and spring quarter started on Monday (March 27) so things have been very busy. I have one last class to take before graduating in June with my degree in criminology. Classes are four days a week so it's a full schedule. I also am interviewing with teams on the phone and in person. Between that and working out, my day actually gets pretty full. I don't want to make it sound like my schedule is any busier than any other college athletes though. Any college athlete goes through this; just instead of practice I do interviews and work out. Everybody is busy when you are in college; it's just a difference of activities.

Preparing for the NFL draft has been a full-time activity. First, there was the Scouting Combine, then Pro Day and now there are individual team workouts and interviews. Some are in person and some interviews are on the phone. It's fun thinking about playing in the NFL, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. I know it's a cliché, but I'm just taking things one step at a time. I grew up a Bengals fan, but I'd honestly be happy to play anywhere. Playing at Ohio State makes playing in cold weather a non-factor and I really don't mind moving to any part of the country.

A.J. Hawk (right) closed out his college career with another bowl win with the Buckeyes.
A.J. Hawk (right) closed out his college career with another bowl win with the Buckeyes.
I started to think about the NFL some time around my junior year. That is probably when I first realized that I could end up being a player in the NFL and hoping it would happen. I went to high school and played college football with Mike Nugent, who was drafted by the Jets last year as their kicker. He's given me some good advice about how to manage everything and some of the other guys on OSU and I talk often about it, so hopefully we are staying grounded through the process. There are a lot of Ohio State players in the NFL, so I know a little about what to expect. But you really need to do these things yourself to figure it all out.

I'm planning on heading up to Notre Dame on April 22nd for their spring game. Brady Quinn and I are friends now and I want to go see the game. I was at Notre Dame once when my brother was being recruited there, but I don't remember it well. I'm looking forward to seeing the campus and the stadium up close.

I've always been a fan of the draft so I can't wait for April 29th. I'm going to be watching it with my family at home. This year's draft will be a great one. There are so many great players in it at all positions -- (Reggie) Bush and (Matt) Leinart and (Vince) Young and (D'Brickashaw) Ferguson. It's such a deep class that watching as a fan will be great, let alone as someone who could be drafted.

The next few weeks should be pretty exciting and I look forward to the excitement of graduating and moving on to the next stage of my life.

-- As told to Mark Zimmerman

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I have to give Hawk credit for finishing school, especially staying in Ohio and working out there while he completes school instead of going to Arizona or Florida to work out at this camps that basically get guys ready for the combine and Pro Workouts.