packers11
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=600950

Team looks into Keyshawn
Reports say Packers interested in receiver
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 3, 2007
The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams that has some interest in recently released Carolina Panthers receiver Keyshawn Johnson, but whether they're willing to make a stronger play for him than they did Randy Moss remains to be seen.

According to an NFL source with strong connections to Johnson, the Packers are doing their homework on the 11-year veteran and are considering whether he would be a good fit for their team.

"I think their interest is legitimate," the source said.

Johnson, 34, was released by the Panthers Monday, after spending the weekend as an ESPN draft analyst, at one point lauding Carolina for its decision to draft Southern California receiver Dwayne Jarrett, whose selection made it possible for Johnson's release. In his only season with the Panthers, Johnson caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four touchdowns, serving as the team's No. 3 receiver.

Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, did not return a phone message, but two sources said they thought Johnson would receive a considerable amount of interest around the National Football League despite his age. Johnson played hard for the Panthers, has never been a speed burner so there's no concern he's going to lose it all at once and continues to be productive.

Stanley told ESPN Wednesday that "several teams have expressed interest in Johnson and that he does have offers." However, he declined to identify any of the teams.

Among the teams Johnson and his agent are thought to be concentrating on are the Packers, Seattle, the New York Giants, San Francisco, Tennessee and the New York Jets. Johnson entered the NFL as the No. 1 overall pick of the Jets in 1996, was traded to Tampa Bay for two first-round picks in 2000 and played four years in Tampa Bay, two in Dallas and one in Carolina.

The 6-foot-4, 211-pound Johnson could provide a big boost for the Packers' sorry red zone offense because he's good running across the middle and he's physical enough to win jump balls in the end zone. In 11 seasons, he has 64 touchdowns, including 16 in the last three seasons. He has caught at least 70 passes in each of those campaigns.

More than likely, the Packers are throwing their hat in the ring to find out whether the outspoken Johnson would be a good fit for a team with a young receiving corps. The Packers added two receivers - San Jose State's James Jones and Virginia Tech's David Clowney - in the draft and are eager to give them, as well as youngsters Greg Jennings, Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday and Shaun Bodiford, a chance to prove themselves.

They remain high on the receiver group despite the fact only veteran Donald Driver has been shown himself to be a reliable starter. Adding Johnson wouldn't have the impact a rejuvenated Moss would, but he comes with less baggage and could help the Packers in their quest to get into the end zone more often.

"He'll work hard on Sunday," the source said. "He doesn't have a lot of speed or quickness, but he's big going over the middle. When you don't have a tight end, he's basically your tight end."

Scouts say Johnson isn't much into practicing and requires some special treatment from the coaching staff, but his only real down side in the locker room is that he likes to talk a lot, especially to reporters. He had a well-documented dispute with Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden that resulted in him being deactivated for six games in '03 and then released, but most of his antics are harmless.

"If there's an older guy at quarterback who can tell him to shut up in the huddle, then he'll be fine," said a scout who has studied Johnson.

It's unclear how high the market for Johnson will go, but it's likely he'll get between $1 million and $2 million for this season, which is not an exorbitant price for a 70-catch receiver. If the Packers are serious, they'll probably have to be the high bidder because Johnson has two children in Los Angeles and would prefer to be close to them, the source said.

Bring it on: Kicker Dave Rayner was vacationing in the Dominican Republic when the Packers selected Colorado kicker Mason Crosby in the sixth round.

When contacted about the move, Rayner said, "Oh, OK."

"That was about it," said the kicker's agent, Paul Sheehy. "I know a lot of people think it's a big issue, but in my experience competition makes everybody better. Dave is not afraid of competition."

Crosby is known to have the strongest leg of any kicker coming out of college this year, but suffered a subpar senior season and was drafted lower than where most people expected him to go. Rayner and Crosby are similar in that they both have strong legs and excel at kickoffs. Both need to be more consistent on field goals.

"It's not like they picked a guy on the first day," Sheehy said. "I live in Colorado and got a chance to see Crosby and he is a great kicker. It's not surprising they took him there. It was a value pick. All teams do that."

RashanGary
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Johnson would be a great redzone target. If you bring in Johnson, you have to get rid of Fergy.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I'd rather keep one of the kids. I just don't see Keyshawn fitting what we need. He's just a big possession receiver with some baggage.

bbbffl66
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Johnson would be a great redzone target. If you bring in Johnson, you have to get rid of Fergy.

um, ok! :) That would be just fine. Can I pitch in for Fergy bus out of town?

MJZiggy
05-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm not over Moss just yet. I can't go through this again right now...Talk to me when the ink dries on his signature on the deal.

gbpackfan
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Guys, it is NOT going to happen. Think about it. We already have Driver, Jennings, Fergie, Robinson (most likely), Holiday, Martin, Jones, Clowney, Bodiford and Brewster. TT loves to develop guys from within and will have a hard enough time figuring out which guys he will cut. Dont get me wrong, I would welcome Meshawn but I just dont see TT making this move. Or any move for that matter!

Bretsky
05-03-2007, 10:00 PM
anything to get rid of my sig....lol

seriously, thoghh, we have a bunch of bodies at WR; we might as well take this year to find out if any of them are worth a crap.

Why would we bring in Keyshawn Johnson ? We're not going anywhere in 2007 and I'd hate to lose one of these guys if they turn out to be anything.

RashanGary
05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't think he's going to be a vertical threat by strech of the imagination but I think he'd be a great guy to mismatch on smaller CB's in the endzone. He's very savvy. He's got over 10,000 yards which is 4,000 away from the #3 all time James Lofton.

The guy knows how to play football even if his only real skill is using his body and hands to make catches in tight spaces.

We're an OK team IMO. Our Red Zone offense was horrible for many reasons IMO.

1. The Oline could not get a push *The Vikes laughed at how weak we were*
2. The Oline needed max protect so we couldn't use TE's in the pass game in the redzone
3. Our WR's are small and don't have an advantage in the redzone

Much of it will be fixed assuming teh line steps up and I think they will but we did nothing in the way of getting a WR who can be a threat in teh redzone. Johnson would be that. I think it would pay off in the redzone even if you have to give up on an idiot like Fergy or a young guy like Ruvell Martin or Holliday.

Rastak
05-03-2007, 10:05 PM
I'd rather keep one of the kids. I just don't see Keyshawn fitting what we need. He's just a big possession receiver with some baggage.

I feel the same way about the Vikings...although the Vikings don't have a very good vet like Driver. They do have about 10 young wr on their toster...I'd rather see them develop those guys.

I think he'd fit in slightly better with the Packers but they also have alot of young guys so it might not be the best move.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Johnson a red sone target?????????????????? I pretty sure this is the guy who has had those one touchdown seasons. I agree with Harv. I would rather like to see what James Jones or Clowney can do before Johnson.

GrnBay007
05-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Take him for a year. We could use a vet.

Lurker64
05-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I think he'd fit in slightly better with the Packers but they also have alot of young guys so it might not be the best move.

Yeah, I can just imagine the reaction if Tavaris Jackson or Brooks Bollinger tells Keyshawn to shut up in the huddle.

Rastak
05-03-2007, 10:14 PM

Yeah, I can just imagine the reacting if Tavaris Jackson or Brooks Bollinger tells Keyshawn to shut up in the huddle.

or anybody else, Favre included....you have heard this guy talk before, right?

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Last six seasons touchdowns:

2001: 1
2002: 5
2003: 3
2004: 6
2005: 6
2006: 4

Not big touch down machine if you ask me. He's never has know how to score. This guy is no Moss.

ahaha
05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't see the point in signing Keshawn. You have to think that with all these young guys competing at WR that at least one, if not two, will become a decent third receiver. Plus, we have Robinson. Are we going to sign him to be a fourth or fifth reciever? He has no special teams value. What's the point? Leadership? Whoopty f@#kin' doo. Favre, Tausher, Clifton, and Driver. We have enough of the grissled veteren leaders on offense.

Rastak
05-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Not big touch down machine if you ask me. He's never has know how to score. This guy is no Moss.

How many did Moss score the last two years? I havn't looked it up, just curious....oh hell....lemme go look it up....

2005: 8
2006: 3

1 more I guess.....

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, to be fair. Moss was injured and had Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks throwing to him--while Johnson was healthy and had Jake Delhomme throwing to him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

How many did Moss score the last two years? I havn't looked it up, just curious....oh hell....lemme go look it up....

2005: 8
2006: 3

1 more I guess.....

2005: 13 with books as QB
2006: 3 but missed a lot of games

Edit: your right I was thinking 2004.

RashanGary
05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow, that suprises me that he didn't score more TD's. I wonder if he got more attn in teh redzone because teams knew he was a big target.

Rastak
05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Tha fact he's been injured the last three years is KEY. You have to factor that in to any projections....

oregonpackfan
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
In considering whether Keyshawn would fit into the team-oriented concept of Packers football, just consider the title of his book: Just Give Me The Damn Ball!

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
That may be true, but the QB situation is a big thing too. I'd bet on Moss getting a lot more TDs than Keyshawn this year--if I were a betting man.

Joemailman
05-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Keyshawn has always been more of a move the chains guy than a red zone target. I think Ruvell Martin late last season played well and can do many of the things that Keyshawn can do. But if it will enable B to get rid of that sig...

MJZiggy
05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Not even for B's sig...

MadtownPacker
05-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I want the team to win and win now. Did the whole moss fiasco shake my faith in TT? Yes it did but Im not against him at this point. I agree that the BrandX WRs last season where making some progress and that appears to be what TT is banking on.

With that said..

If the offense sputters and the D doesnt show substantial improvement this could be TTs last season as GM. Favre would retire and the team will struggle the following season when TT would actually get fired but his ticket will have been punched by this season.

Bring in Meshawn if he can do anything to help the offense. But after thinking about it I dont think he can.

Rastak
05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Not even for B's sig...

very good point, I hadn't factored that in....

imscott72
05-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, to be fair. Moss was injured and had Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks throwing to him--while Johnson was healthy and had Jake Delhomme throwing to him.

Not too mention he had Steve Smith sucking up double teams. Meshawn is a waste..

Bub
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I hate Keyshawn, but i'd be for bringing him in. We don't have a reciever like him and we could use a vet, that's for sure.

So we sign him to a 1 year contract for 1-2 mil...it doesn't work out and we cut him. We lose a mil or so of our 14 million dollar cap space.....boo-friggen-hoo. It's worth the risk. We have only one proven reciever with some experience. If anything he can teach the young bucks a thing or two in camp.

GoPackGo
05-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Not too mention he had Steve Smith sucking up double teams. Meshawn is a waste..

Right on...
If the offensive line can play without Bubba staying in to help pass protect, the Packer offense will score points.period

GrnBay007
05-04-2007, 01:05 AM
I hate Keyshawn, but i'd be for bringing him in. We don't have a reciever like him and we could use a vet, that's for sure.

So we sign him to a 1 year contract for 1-2 mil...it doesn't work out and we cut him. We lose a mil or so of our 14 million dollar cap space.....boo-friggen-hoo. It's worth the risk. We have only one proven reciever with some experience. If anything he can teach the young bucks a thing or two in camp.

Yep! If for nothing else a vet to help bring along the MANY rookies!! Donald can only do so much alone.

LEWCWA
05-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I don't know if any of you have a clue about Keyshawn. The guy is a football player. He is not selfish, he is one of the best blocking wr in the game and knows the game of football. He would be a great asset to this thing. Why do you think Parcells loved him so much? His only drawback is his mouth. He says things that are true, but your not supposed to do that when your an athlete. He calls it like he sees it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Sorry, but Keyshawn does nothing for me. I've seen enough of him to know that he's just a big possession receiver at this point. Sure, he makes some nice grabs and blocks. However, he probably has one year left. We have enough young WRs that I'd like to see a young guy take up that roster spot.

OS PA
05-04-2007, 02:54 AM
So we'd be sitting pretty at

#1 - Driver
#2 - Jennings
#3 - Keyshawn
----- Insert Koren Robinson here, and bump the others down.
#4 - Fergie
#5 - Clowney
#6 - Jones
#7 - Holiday
#8 - Martin

Looking at our recievers we'd have to keep six with the draft picks invested.

Practice Squad Eligible (Correct me if i'm wrong here)
Clowney, Jones, Holiday

I only think TT would be willing to place Holiday on the practice squad, maybe Jones for a few games. This would leave either Martin or Fergie to be cut.

So our opening day roster would look like this

Driver, Jennings, Keyshawn, Ferguson, Clowney, Jones

and our mideseason roster would look like this

Driver, Jennings, Keyshawn, Robinson, Ferguson, Clowney (Jones could be a 7th reciever on the roster, but might be able to be hidden on the practice squad if he isn't lighting up the spotlights. )

This leads me to my question - Do we have the classic case of quanitity over quality? Or do we have the rare mix of quality and quantity?

Personally i'd love to bring in Keyshawn, because having a big name reciever to go along with Driver, Jennings, and eventually Robinson will make our offense even more potent.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 03:06 AM
You're VERY unlikely to stash a 3rd round pick on the PS. Clowney would be unlikely too--if he shows anything in the preseason. Any team at any time can sign a member of your practice squad to their roster.

If Keyshawn were to be signed, at least 4 of the following 5 would likely be cut: Ferguson, Robinson, Holliday, Bodiford, and Martin. Possibly, all 5 if the Packers decide to keep 5 WRs like they normally do (Sherman and his 4 WRs, notwithstanding).

BallHawk
05-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Keyshawn in all probability wants to go to a Super Bowl contender to make that extra push. Whether there is interest from a team like that we'll have to wait and see.

I do not want Keyshawn. We're not winning the Super Bowl this year, barring a miracle. Why sacrifice the future for an aging WR who won't be a mainstay on this team. Clowney or Jones would not last on the practice squad, based on potential alone. If they showed anything during the pre-season they wouldn't last a day. I'd want to see.....

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones
4. Clowney
5. Martin

3 of those guys, Jones, Clowney and Martin, could have a serious shot of being last year's Jennings. I really like Jones and think he could have the solid hands that we need. Koren is up in the air and it's too hard to predict what is going to happen with him.

digitaldean
05-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Watched NFL Live last night. On it, they reported there are several teams interested in MEshawn.

Green Bay, Oakland and the Giants were listed.

We'll see if this turns out like the Moss rumors.

Bretsky
05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Watched NFL Live last night. On it, they reported there are several teams interested in MEshawn.

Green Bay, Oakland and the Giants were listed.

We'll see if this turns out like the Moss rumors.

I'd think he'd want to go to a winning team if he has a chance

Packnut
05-04-2007, 07:59 AM
It's stupid for Teddy to even contemplate this move. Johnson is washed up and the plan is to let the young guys develope, so why change directions? Being inconsistent in this case will only hurt more than help.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
I kind of agree with Packnut. Figured I should say so since it likely won't happen again anytime soon. :P :P :P

prsnfoto
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Johnson a red sone target?????????????????? I pretty sure this is the guy who has had those one touchdown seasons. I agree with Harv. I would rather like to see what James Jones or Clowney can do before Johnson.

He had 16 TD in the last three years and 70 catchs for over 700 yds each og the last three seasons which is better than our #2 has had since it was Driver and before that Billy Schroeder, so considering he has been playing #3 that was a slightly stupid statement. No worry though you will get your wish the gay turtle won't sign him he's to old for his liking.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
He had 16 TD in the last three years and 70 catchs for over 700 yds each og the last three seasons which is better than our #2 has had since it was Driver and before that Billy Schroeder, so considering he has been playing #3 that was a slightly stupid statement. No worry though you will get your wish the gay turtle won't sign him he's to old for his liking.

In 2004 our #2 had much more than that. In 2005, our #2 got hurt. In 2006, our #2 was well on his way to eclipsing those numbers, but got injured. Plus, since when has Keyshawn been the #3? He was the #2 in Dallas in 2004 and 2005. He was the #2 in Carolina last year.

wist43
05-04-2007, 11:03 AM
If other teams are interested in KJ, then he really doesn't stand much of a chance of landing in GB. TT will never compete for a FA.

Besides, even though KJ would help GB's pathetic red zone offense, he isn't a difference maker, and given that the team has exactly zero chance of going anywhere - why would KJ, want to come to GB anyway???

Now, if KJ were to petition the league to allow him to enter next years draft...??? :wink:

MadtownPacker
05-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Keyshawn in all probability wants to go to a Super Bowl contender to make that extra push. Whether there is interest from a team like that we'll have to wait and see.Wasnt he with Tampa when they won the SB in 2002?

retailguy
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Keyshawn in all probability wants to go to a Super Bowl contender to make that extra push. Whether there is interest from a team like that we'll have to wait and see.Wasnt he with Tampa when they won the SB in 2002?

Yes, he was with Tampa in 2002 and got a Super Bowl ring with them, and was deactivated and released in 2003.

MadtownPacker
05-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Well Keyshawn should consider his career a good one. If I played in the NFL and was a contributing player on a SuperBowl team I would feel I accomplished my mission regardless of how long I played. Favre has said many times he doesnt have anything left to prove and that is true. Its all gravy after getting that ring.

prsnfoto
05-04-2007, 12:07 PM

In 2004 our #2 had much more than that. In 2005, our #2 got hurt. In 2006, our #2 was well on his way to eclipsing those numbers, but got injured. Plus, since when has Keyshawn been the #3? He was the #2 in Dallas in 2004 and 2005. He was the #2 in Carolina last year.

Harv, an article I read said he was their #3 maybe they thought he would be but his production was a #2, the rest of what I said is true who was the #2 in 2004(Driver) go back before that and I believe it was Schroeder, I could give a shit what happened in 2005 and 2006 that is exactly a reason why TT should sign him.

prsnfoto
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
# 19 Keyshawn Johnson
Position: WR
Height: 6-4
Weight: 211
Born: 07/22/1972
College: Southern California
NFL Experience: 12

Receiving
Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
1996 New York Jets 14 11 63 844 13.4 50 8 10 3 42
1997 New York Jets 16 16 70 963 13.8 39 5 15 0 50
1998 New York Jets 16 16 83 1131 13.6 41 10 15 1 60
1999 New York Jets 16 16 89 1170 13.1 65 8 16 3 57
2000 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 16 71 874 12.3 38 8 12 0 49
2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 15 15 106 1266 11.9 47 1 19 1 67
2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 16 76 1088 14.3 76 5 14 1 53
2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 10 45 600 13.3 39 3 9 0 33
2004 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 70 981 14.0 39 6 15 0 53
2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 14 71 839 11.8 34 6 7 0 46
2006 Carolina Panthers 16 16 70 815 11.6 40 4 8 1 42
TOTAL 167 162 814 10571 13.0 76 64 140 10 552

To all the people saying he is washed up you are nuts the only down season he had was when Gruden benched him for six games because he asked for the ball more(something TO does every year), plus he has adapted his game to a redzone(note I said redzone not TD, but it is much easier to score when you can actually get it to the two yardline) and posession reciever who moves the chains look at his YPC and 1st down comparison his YPC is going down but his ability to move the chains is still high. If he can be had for 2-3 million sign him we have been paying Faguson that forever for 0 production. You guys buy into this youth crap way too much, name me one team that has won a SB with a roster average age 25, christ if Brett and Rob Davis retired it would be 23, great teams have a mix of both, that is why TT will be nothing more than a average GM.

Pacopete4
05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I think it'd be a great move to bring him to the pack.. what better than to bring a WR that could still be a great #2, that is totally pissed off and has something to prove?.. to me that smells like a huge year out of him.. plus im sure he wouldnt mind catchin balls from #4

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
I think it'd be a great move to bring him to the pack.. what better than to bring a WR that could still be a great #2, that is totally pissed off and has something to prove?.. to me that smells like a huge year out of him.. plus im sure he wouldnt mind catchin balls from #4

That statement just sounds so oddly familiar...must be deja vu or something...

MadtownPacker
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Great points Prsnfoto!

Now I am starting to like the idea. Meshawn's specialty is the redzone and that is where the O hurt the most last season.

Hell with it, do it TT!!!

woodbuck27
05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Guys, it is NOT going to happen. Think about it. We already have Driver, Jennings, Fergie, Robinson (most likely), Holiday, Martin, Jones, Clowney, Bodiford and Brewster. TT loves to develop guys from within and will have a hard enough time figuring out which guys he will cut. Dont get me wrong, I would welcome Meshawn but I just dont see TT making this move. Or any move for that matter!

That analysis is based on alot of history since TT became our GM.

gbpackfan
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Woodbuck,

Maybe I'm just off my game today but I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or bashing me.

Either way, we all know TT loves his draft picks. I have no problem with that, but TT has to use every tool available to him to help this team win. I don't care what FA's he signed last year, or the year before that. This year, TT blew it in free agency. Plain and simple. TT will not be signing Keshawn just like he did not sign Moss.

Every year can't be a rebuilding year. It seems like TT is building for a future that will never come.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 01:10 PM

woodbuck27
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/packers.html

This is what TT added at WR in the draft. Is this enough ??

3 14 (78) James Jones WR San Jose State

James Jones SELECTED BY: Green Bay Packers Round 3(14)

SI Grade = 3.38

Position:WR Class:Sr School:San Jose State Conference:Western Athletic Ht., Wt.: 6-1, 208 40 Time:4.54

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after topping the team with receiving numbers of 70/893/10 as well as averaging 11 yards on 11 punt returns. Totaled 30 receptions as a junior.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized wideout coming off a tremendous senior campaign. Quick in all aspects of his game, displaying a lot of natural skill. Uses his frame to shield away defenders, adjusts to the errant throw and looks the ball into his hands. Displays strong hands.

NEGATIVES: Marginal playing speed and is not a deep threat. Just average production until his senior campaign.

ANALYSIS: A big, strong, receiver, Jones turned himself into an NFL prospect last season. Gives effort in all aspects of the game and could develop into a productive third wideout.

PROJECTION: Middle Sixth Round

5 20 (157) David Clowney WR Virginia Tech

David Clowney SELECTED BY: Green Bay Packers Round 5(20)

SI Grade = N/A

Position:WR Class:Sr School:Virginia Tech Conference:Atlantic Coast
Ht., Wt.: 6-0.5, 188 40 Time:4.36

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter who is also a sprinter on the school's track team. Senior totals were 34/424 after 34/619/3 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Developing receiver with terrific playing speed. Displays sharpness running routes, gets separation from opponents, offering the quarterback a nice target. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride.

NEGATIVES: Undersized and struggles against larger defenders. Gives effort blocking, but is not effective. Marginally productive the past two seasons because of the rotational system Virginia Tech uses at wideout.

ANALYSIS: Athletically gifted, Clowney offers potential as a third receiver at the next level if he improves his consistency.

PROJECTION: Middle Third Round

Comment woodbuck27: Could turn out as a solid value pick and he's a burner. Wondering if he has punt return skills?

GO PACKERS !!

woodbuck27
05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Woodbuck,

Maybe I'm just off my game today but I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or bashing me.

Either way, we all know TT loves his draft picks. I have no problem with that, but TT has to use every tool available to him to help this team win. I don't care what FA's he signed last year, or the year before that. This year, TT blew it in free agency. Plain and simple. TT will not be signing Keshawn just like he did not sign Moss.

Every year can't be a rebuilding year. It seems like TT is building for a future that will never come.

I'm agreeing with your post on the whole.

I don't bash members of the forum. I have been known to stand in for myself when necessary. :)

I will not invest anything in the hope or otherwise that TT will acquire K . Johnson.

The dude is a man of stone.

Glaciers . . move faster. :)

FritzDontBlitz
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
# 19 Keyshawn Johnson
Position: WR
Height: 6-4
Weight: 211
College: Southern California
NFL Experience: 12

Receiving
Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
1996 New York Jets 14 11 63 844 13.4 50 8 10 3 42
1997 New York Jets 16 16 70 963 13.8 39 5 15 0 50
1998 New York Jets 16 16 83 1131 13.6 41 10 15 1 60
1999 New York Jets 16 16 89 1170 13.1 65 8 16 3 57
2000 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 16 71 874 12.3 38 8 12 0 49
2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 15 15 106 1266 11.9 47 1 19 1 67
2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 16 76 1088 14.3 76 5 14 1 53
2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 10 45 600 13.3 39 3 9 0 33
2004 Dallas Cowboys 16 16 70 981 14.0 39 6 15 0 53
2005 Dallas Cowboys 16 14 71 839 11.8 34 6 7 0 46
2006 Carolina Panthers 16 16 70 815 11.6 40 4 8 1 42
TOTAL 167 162 814 10571 13.0 76 64 140 10 552

To all the people saying he is washed up you are nuts the only down season he had was when Gruden benched him for six games because he asked for the ball more(something TO does every year), plus he has adapted his game to a redzone(note I said redzone not TD, but it is much easier to score when you can actually get it to the two yardline) and posession reciever who moves the chains look at his YPC and 1st down comparison his YPC is going down but his ability to move the chains is still high. If he can be had for 2-3 million sign him we have been paying Faguson that forever for 0 production. You guys buy into this youth crap way too much, name me one team that has won a SB with a roster average age 25, christ if Brett and Rob Davis retired it would be 23, great teams have a mix of both, that is why TT will be nothing more than a average GM.

i say bring keyshawn in. his reputation is making a lot of catches over the middle and he's big enough to make them in traffic, he would make a good #2 to compliment driver. as much as i love jennings he has yet to prove himself as a consistent #2 - i still say m3/tt screwed up royally by not starting jennings out as the #3 wr/kr specialist to better utilize his talents and allow him time to grow accustomed to the speed of the nfl.

we've already went through one year of watching half the starters take their lumps learning the pro game on the fly, and the best they came up with was an 8-8 season. bring in keyshawn for a season or two and let him shoulder the load to take some pressure off the youngsters. or, stick with a stable of inexperienced youngbloods and look forward to another frustrating first half of the season.

i prefer experience over potential, a known commodity over a bunch of promising but unknown players. but i guess that's just me. 8-)

prsnfoto
05-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Ahhh FritzDontBlitz=a breath of fresh air and some sound reasoning.

Harveyswallbangers I am not trying to pick a battle with you, you,Bretsky, Patler are some of my favorite posters, I realize Keyshawn was born in 1972 Brett was born way before that and no one is calling for shooting that old horse plus we have the bucks it's low risk he isn't going to get much. Oh crap why am I wasting my time turtle won't do it anyhow.

woodbuck27
05-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Harveyswallbangers I am not trying to pick a battle with you, you,Bretsky, Patler are some of my favorite posters, I realize Keyshawn was born in 1972 Brett was born way before that and no one is calling for shooting that old horse plus we have the bucks it's low risk he isn't going to get much. Oh crap why am I wasting my time turtle won't do it anyhow.

REALLY !!!!!!!!!! :)

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 03:03 PM

I just don't see the point in bringing in a 35-year-old receiver (apples to oranges comparison to a QB). One that has baggage. He even said on NFL Network that he'll probably play one more year. Unless you expect this team to contend for the Super Bowl this year (I don't), I don't see the point in losing a young receiver for him.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 03:09 PM

I just don't see the point in bringing in a 35-year-old receiver (apples to oranges comparison to a QB). One that has baggage. He even said on NFL Network that he'll probably play one more year. Unless you expect this team to contend for the Super Bowl this year (I don't), I don't see the point in losing a young receiver for him.

And if he decides to make one more stab at another ring (some guys want more than one), he won't playing for a team that isn't perceived to be Super Bowl bound this year.

BallHawk
05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
TT will never compete for a FA.

So was TT on vacation when Pickett and Woodson were signed? :roll:

esoxx
05-04-2007, 05:52 PM
No, he did that during the first week of FA last year.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Not Woodson. That deal was done later.

packers11
05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
He outbidded the Giants for Arrington also :shock: ... Good thing he still went to the Giants...

wist43
05-04-2007, 07:50 PM

Signed... didn't compete for 'em.

Pickett - Buffalo (I think it was) showed some interest, and St louis said they wanted him back - don't remember that either offered him a contract... any which way, it surely wasn't a bidding war.

Woodson - don't remember that anybody showed interest in him.

TT won't compete for FA's... he has a price, and won't go one cent over that - it's that simple.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 08:02 PM
He outbid for Vinatieri. Dude just wanted to play in a dome where he would look good and it paid off for him. And like Packers11 said, he outbid for Arrington who wanted to play against the Redskins twice a year and be near his home. And the Rams DID offer Pickett a contract. TT just happened to outbid them for his services...

Zool
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Actually Woodson was said to pretty much be on the way to Tampa when they said he would be a safety. Thompson offered more money and a corner back slot.

Patler will have to confirm this, but I believe Buffalo offered the same amount of signing bonus but a year or 2 less on the deal and less roster bonus money. Thats strictly off my admittedly sketchy memory.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah, like others have said, it wasn't like Pickett and Woodson weren't getting any other offers, and both guys got $5M+/year. Personally, I like that the GM is frugal in a way. When he gets the training rolling, we might not be in cap hell. Anyways! There were a few FAs that signed for little that I think he missed out on (Ken Hamlin and Eric Johnson). We still have a few months to fill the holes, or at least see if the young guys can do it.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I think TT must know something we don't about Hamlin ... after all, he drafted the guy in Seattle and watched him play there. I give him a pass on that one.

Re: Eric Johnson, I don't blame TT for passing on a guy who is not much better of a receiver than Bubba Franks, and can't block. Johnson is not a deep threat. He had 90+ catches for a 10 yd avg. in the rare year he could stay healthy. Why was he so productive? Because they threw it to him 100 times. Bubba, in his entire career, could only dream of getting that kind of opportunity.

Throw out that one fluke season, which occurred roughly the same time Bubba was a Pro-Bowler, and Johnson is truly a nobody.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I thought he was worth taking a chance on--especially now that it doesn't look like we have solved our problem at the position. Wouldn't have cost much. You're right though--if Thompson didn't want Hamlin and Johnson (who McCarthy should have known well), then maybe he knows something we don't about those guys.

esoxx
05-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Not Woodson. That deal was done later.

No, I meant TT went on vacation during the first week of FA. It was a light hearted reply to Ballhawk's remark above.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Ahhh. Got it.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought he was worth taking a chance on--especially now that it doesn't look like we have solved our problem at the position. Wouldn't have cost much. You're right though--if Thompson didn't want Hamlin and Johnson (who McCarthy should have known well), then maybe he knows something we don't about those guys.

I certainly see your point about Johnson as well. Could have been worth a flyer, as he's more proven than guys like Alcorn and Humphrey. (Proven to get injured :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Sorry, couldn't help it!) But he signed for $3 million, which would make him an expensive flyer.

I'm down on him more than most because a few years back I had him in fantasy football, and he killed me because he'd have some success and then get hurt. Had no consistency. And this was before the seasons he missed entirely in I.R. I will be very surprised if he plays more than 8 games this year.

Pacopete4
05-05-2007, 02:58 AM
KJ would be good for us and our rookies.. i really think u saw a man who knows his place when watchin the draft.. said he could teach the WR they took how to be a good NFL WR.. that takes a man to say and a man to do.. i think KJ is becoming that man.. hate it or love it.. we really might be in a better situation that the moss crapola

oregonpackfan
05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
KJ would be good for us and our rookies.. i really think u saw a man who knows his place when watchin the draft.. said he could teach the WR they took how to be a good NFL WR.. that takes a man to say and a man to do.. i think KJ is becoming that man.. hate it or love it.. we really might be in a better situation that the moss crapola

Would Keyshawn teach the young WR's to say to the QB, "Just Give Me The Damn Ball?"

Pacopete4
05-05-2007, 11:48 AM
again.. you're talking about KJ about 5-7 years ago.. im talkin about a man thats hit rock bottom, and sometimes.. those are the best people to give that second chance to

GrnBay007
05-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Take him TT....take him. Trust me. :P

oregonpackfan
05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Take him TT....take him. Trust me. :P

Yep! Take him right to the retirement community! :)

jmbarnes101
05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
edited

jmbarnes101
05-05-2007, 01:28 PM
The insiders and former coaches of KJ all have said that he is an entirely different person than he was earlier in his career. He cares more about his team and fellow players than he used to and he's matured and grown up a lot. That can be a very good thing for a team with lots of young WR's. I believe at this point in his career that he wants two things. The first is a chance to win another superbowl and the second is to be regarded as a classy player both on and off the field. If nothing else, he's 100x better than Robert Ferguson.

Pacopete4
05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
i guess i dont get it.. we have a chance to add a piece that will make us better as a team. He will come cheap, and help NOW while those younger WR's develop into the players they will be. He is not that old as you can tell by his production not really changing a lot over his career. Hes steady and hes always ready to play on sundays.. get his ass in a packer uni and help our O out

woodbuck27
05-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Signed... didn't compete for 'em.

Pickett - Buffalo (I think it was) showed some interest, and St louis said they wanted him back - don't remember that either offered him a contract... any which way, it surely wasn't a bidding war.

Woodson - don't remember that anybody showed interest in him.

TT won't compete for FA's... he has a price, and won't go one cent over that - it's that simple.

''Woodson - don't remember that anybody showed interest in him.'' fr. above

Tampa Bay was the other team (main suitor) that was at least postering regarding acquiring Charles Woodson.

woodbuck27
05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
again.. you're talking about KJ about 5-7 years ago.. im talkin about a man thats hit rock bottom, and sometimes.. those are the best people to give that second chance to

Yup.

KJ has seemingly cleaned up his act and he hasn't been a poor player production wise the last few seasons. He has pride and won't come in cheap.

TT and that don't mix. :)

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10161263

Draft pickups suddenly make Keyshawn a ghost in Carolina

May 1, 2007

By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Sports Writer

Now the Keyshawn Johnson move makes sense.

When I first heard that Carolina cut the veteran after reports had them paying him a $3 million roster bonus last month I wondered which account executive was going to get fired. Then I discovered Johnson didn't get a $3 million roster bonus.

In fact, he received no roster bonus at all.

What Johnson picked up April 1 was $2 million in deferred money that was left from a $5 million signing bonus last year. There was no roster bonus due this year, but there would've been a $1 million bonus had he reported to training camp.

As we know now, he won't.

That's because the Panthers surprised Johnson by releasing him Tuesday. The unexpected move was forced by an unexpected draft, where the Panthers fell into a Keyshawn-clone -- USC wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett -- in the second round before picking up another receiver (Ryne Robinson) in the fifth.

Jarrett is younger, stronger and better than Johnson. So why keep two of the same guys? One reason would've been because the Panthers made a $6 million commitment to Johnson last year -- including the $5 million in signing bonus. But they decided they would rather commit to their young receivers than hang on to Johnson.

So they cut their losses, and good for them.

"We came out of this weekend with Dwayne Jarrett, whom we didn't expect to get," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney explained. "And then we got Ryne Robinson. Those are two young receivers you put with Drew Carter, Keary Colbert and Taye Biddle to go with Steve Smith.

"So we feel as if we have five talented young receivers who have the chance to develop. To commit to accelerating that development, in terms of time and reps and things like that, we felt as if it was time to make a move with Keyshawn and just open it up and throw those guys in there.

"The intention, of course, is that with the extra time and attention they get on the practice field it will help accelerate their development. Obviously, we feel like several of them have the ability to step in and help us this year."

Makes sense to me.

I think back to 2001 when San Francisco finally cut loose Jerry Rice, the greatest receiver in NFL history. It wasn't because he couldn't play any more. He could. And he proved it in Oakland. It was because the club wanted to make a commitment to its future instead of its past. So it promoted its young receivers, one of whom was Terrell Owens.

That couldn't have happened as long as Rice was there.

The same goes for Carolina, which can start combing through its young receivers for the next best option to Steve Smith. Presumably, that receiver is Jarrett, but it might be Colbert and it might be Carter. All I know is it won't be Keyshawn.

Yes, the move was costly. The Panthers invested in Johnson a year ago because they thought he could give them something they didn't have. Well, now they have it. So there's no use in Keyshawn hanging around, and the Panthers just made that clear.

In the end, he cost Carolina $6 million for one year of play, and that hurts. But there was no roster bonus last month. And there will be no reporting bonus this summer. Keyshawn Johnson is gone because Carolina discovered younger receivers who offer more than Keyshawn Johnson.

Simple as that.

4and12to12and4
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
i guess i dont get it.. we have a chance to add a piece that will make us better as a team. He will come cheap, and help NOW while those younger WR's develop into the players they will be. He is not that old as you can tell by his production not really changing a lot over his career. Hes steady and hes always ready to play on sundays.. get his ass in a packer uni and help our O out

The problem with that logic is that we are probably keeping 5 to 6 receivers. Most likely 6. So, who goes?

You have to keep(1) Driver,(2) Jennings,(3) KRob.

It 's stupid to get rid of the two new picks after one preseason, even if they don't show a ton, they have to be given a chance to develop, or why even draft them. So, that's five spots. As far as I'm concerned, I like Ruvell (6) and Holiday (7) a lot. I think they can develop into very good receivers. Holiday might even become a probowler. He has the tools. So, there is simply no room on the roster for Keyshawn. We're overloaded as it is.

Everyone keeps bitching about our receiving core. It's fine. We have plenty of talent there. We just need to figure out who's the best, and try to give them week in week out consistency with Favre so they won't make the stupid mistakes they made last year running wrong routes on audibles, etc.. They're one more year experienced in that and Favre should be more comfortable with them this year, let's not start all over again. I'm sick of everyone here who thinks our receiving core is so horrible. You're wrong, we're fine, and we don't have room on the roster for this old man.

What we need is a frigging tight end that can get open AND block AND catch consistently. So, unless we tell Johnson he's switching positions, let's forget about it.

BallHawk
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
In regards to K-Rob, if he is reinstated after 4 games, we have a chance to assess who is on our roster and what they have done for us early in the season. If we have, say, Carlyle Holiday, and he's dropping balls and not producing, then we can easily fit in K-Rob. If we have a group of guys that we don't want to touch, than we can drop K-Rob.

K-Rob is by no means untouchable.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM

The problem with that logic is that we are probably keeping 5 to 6 receivers. Most likely 6. So, who goes?

You have to keep(1) Driver,(2) Jennings,(3) KRob.

It 's stupid to get rid of the two new picks after one preseason, even if they don't show a ton, they have to be given a chance to develop, or why even draft them. So, that's five spots. As far as I'm concerned, I like Ruvell (6) and Holiday (7) a lot. I think they can develop into very good receivers. Holiday might even become a probowler. He has the tools. So, there is simply no room on the roster for Keyshawn. We're overloaded as it is.

Everyone keeps bitching about our receiving core. It's fine. We have plenty of talent there. We just need to figure out who's the best, and try to give them week in week out consistency with Favre so they won't make the stupid mistakes they made last year running wrong routes on audibles, etc.. They're one more year experienced in that and Favre should be more comfortable with them this year, let's not start all over again. I'm sick of everyone here who thinks our receiving core is so horrible. You're wrong, we're fine, and we don't have room on the roster for this old man.

What we need is a frigging tight end that can get open AND block AND catch consistently. So, unless we tell Johnson he's switching positions, let's forget about it.

KJ isn"t going to be a Packer.

TT will stick with his youth movement.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070505/PKR01/705050539/1989

Posted May 5, 2007

Notebook: Keyshawn is on Packers' radar

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

After failing to land receiver Randy Moss, the Green Bay Packers have at least some interest in another veteran receiver, Keyshawn Johnson.

The Carolina Panthers on Tuesday cut Johnson despite catching 70 passes in 2006, his only season with the team.

The Packers spent the better part of the offseason trying to swing a trade with the Oakland Raiders for Moss, who on draft weekend was dealt to the New England Patriots. It doesn't appear their interest in Johnson is nearly as strong.

Reggie McKenzie, the Packers director of pro personnel, on Friday called the Packers' interest in Johnson "slight."

"We'll check him out, I'm sure," McKenzie said. "I can tell you that if you watch him on tape, the guy can still play. No doubt that he'll be playing this year."

Johnson, 34, has played for four teams during his 11-year NFL career.

The Packers drafted two receivers — James Jones of San Jose State in the third round and David Clowney of Virginia Tech in the fifth round. They are in need of playmakers behind top receiver Donald Driver.

"Any time you can upgrade your football team, whether it's with a veteran or with a younger player, it's something you have to look at," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

"Obviously, Keyshawn's been very productive in the National Football League. So, you have to look at all those situations, and that's what we do."

Comment woodbuck27:

Uhhh Huuhhh ! :)

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
and these comments fr. some Packer fan:

TT IS SMOKING THE CRACK PIPE ! Sat May 05, 2007 7:16 pm

How could TT pass up that trade with Cleveland is beyond me.

He could have swapped draft slots with the Browns in rounds 2-4 , got next year's #1 from them and if he was shrewd enough rob WR Braylon Edwards too.

Now everyone is horny to sign a washed up WR like Key shawn Johnson. He is waste of a roster spot and cap money.

TT had a gun to Phil Savage's head and he didn't have the balls to pull the trigger. This huge Mistake on his part will bury the Packers for good under his inept reign as GM.

This potential deal would have defined the Packers as a bonafide contender and TT took the gas pipe and drafted Harell.

I don't want guys like Keyshawn and Moss on the Packers. I want young Stud WR's that can fly and score from anywhere on the field.

TT also passed on QB Trent Edwards who may turn out to be the QB steal of this draft. He has a better arm than Quinn and is a smart tough guy.

He had a chance to draft Johnnie Lee Higgins who is alot like Ted Ginn Jr. and TT drafts James Jones who got a 9 on the wonderlic test and lived in a homeless shelter. Jones ran a 4.6 and Higgins a 4.3. and was all SWC.

Unless Harrell can slim down to 290 and play DE to rush the QB he was a wasted draft pick. The Packers have enough DT's.

The Packers only hope is that Bill Belichick leaves the Patriots and New Packers CEO John Jones has the brains to scoop him up to be the next HC of the Packers in 2008. Outside of that this team is dead and buried in 8-8 NFC Mediocrity under Terrible Teddy and Fat Mike.

Comment woodbuck27:

Interesting comments from NOT a TT fan.

wow !! Is that Tank? If so ? He's all over the place. :)

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
KJ has seen his better days. I would consider him at a very discounted price. :?:

MJZiggy
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
wow !! Is that Tank? If so ? He's all over the place. :)

Can't be. The spelling and grammar are far too good to be Tank and he hasn't mentioned the closet even once...

Packgator
05-08-2007, 10:24 PM
This guy writes the Raiders and Titans are leaders for him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/07/keyshawn/index.html

Raiders, Titans eyeing Keyshawn
Veteran wide receiver hasn't ruled out broadcast role

By Michael Silver, SI.com

Keyshawn Johnson may be catching passes in 2007 from the prize of this year's draft class, or he may become a key target for last season's Offensive Rookie Of The Year.

Or, if the money's not right, the free-agent wideout may be talking about JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young and the rest of the NFL's passers on TV.

SI.com has learned the Oakland Raiders and the Tennessee Titans are the leading contenders for Johnson's services in the wake of his release last week by the Carolina Panthers. The Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks have also expressed interest in signing the 34-year-old wideout, who is also pondering a permanent move into a second career as a television analyst.

Johnson caught 70 passes for the Panthers last season but was cut last Tuesday, three days after the team drafted ex-USC wideout Dwayne Jarrett in the second round. Johnson, working as a guest analyst for ESPN, had lauded the pick on the air, saying he planned to mentor Jarrett, and his release clearly caught him off guard.

Drafted first overall by the New York Jets in 1996, Johnson also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dallas Cowboys before signing a four-year contract with the Panthers last March. Among those teams interested following his release by the Cowboys a year ago were the New York Giants, New England Patriots and the Seahawks, who have since acquired a pair of high-priced receivers in Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. Of those three teams, only the Seahawks are believed to be interested this time around.

Johnson, who has 815 career receptions, has averaged 70.3 catches over the past three seasons. He is durable, having missed just three games due to injury in his 11-year career (he was placed on the inactive list for the Bucs' final six games of 2003 following a dispute with coach Jon Gruden), and is regarded in league circles as a physical possession receiver and a vicious blocker who improves teams' running games.

The Titans, who lost leading receiver Drew Bennett to St. Louis via free agency, are seeking a reliable target for Young, who went 8-5 as a first-year starter in 2006. Tennessee's leading returning receiver from 2006, Brandon Jones, caught just 27 passes. Johnson has known Titans coach Jeff Fisher since the future USC star was a Trojans ballboy during Fisher's playing days as a standout defensive back.

The Raiders traded wideout Randy Moss to the New England Patriots during the draft and could team Johnson with deep threat Jerry Porter to give Russell an underneath threat. Johnson's children live in the East Bay with his ex-wife, Shikiri, which makes the prospect of joining a team that went 2-14 in '06 far more attractive from his perspective.

Johnson believes he has at least two or three productive seasons left. However, he has told friends he will not play for the minimum and is willing to pursue his options as a TV commentator if he does not receive an offer to his satisfaction. Johnson hopes to sign with a new team quickly -- perhaps by the end of this week and if nothing happens in that time frame he may elect to retire and begin his new career.

Johnson, who lives in Los Angeles during the offseason, received no interest from the San Diego Chargers, despite the fact their current roster lacks an established receiver.

There is a division within the Seahawks' hierarchy on whether to pursue Johnson. A source says coach Mike Holmgren is supportive of the move while general manager Tim Ruskell is hesitant. The Packers, who tried to trade for Moss and are hoping to give Brett Favre another reliable receiving option opposite Donald Driver, have expressed interest, but Johnson is reluctant to play in Green Bay.