PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Nothing against Brady, but I get a kick out of the media for making restructurings like this seem like a big deal. Even Pasquarelli lauds him, and then states that he'll actually get more money from this deal. Laud him for what?

Restructuring now gives Brady leverage later
By Len Pasquarelli

No one need pass the collection basket for New England quarterback Tom Brady, who in the wee hours of Sunday morning agreed to restructure his contract to help Patriots management carve out the salary-cap room necessary to absorb the initial $9.75 million charge for wide receiver Randy Moss.

It was, of course, a selfless gesture by one of the NFL's classiest performers.

But while Brady was universally lauded, and justifiably so, people should know this: The reworking of the contract didn't cost Brady anything at the pay window. He still will earn the $6 million that is due him in 2007. Not a penny less.

The money will just be distributed differently, that's all. Instead of having a base salary of $6 million for this year, Brady received a signing bonus of $5.28 million and had his base salary reduced to $720,000. Do the math, and unless your calculator is defective, that still adds up to $6 million.

Fact is, the maneuver actually netted Brady an additional $2.7 million over the course of his current contract, because as a part of the restructuring, the Patriots raised his scheduled base salary for the 2009 season from $2.3 million to $5.0 million. New England officials didn't alter his base salaries for 2008 ($5 million) or 2010 ($3.5 million). And Brady is still set to receive roster bonuses of $3 million each for 2008 through 2010...

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
East coast reporters... :roll:

swede
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I have an irrational dislike for Tom Brady. He is the anti-Favre to me. Careful, methodical, unlikely to make mistakes. People fall over themselves liking Tom Brady better than the next guy.

It really isn't Tom's fault that I dislike him so much. One reason is that I've always dislked NE without much rational cause for doing so. The other is that Brady was a key player the night Oakland got ripped off in an AFC semifinal game a few years back during a New England snowstorm.

Brady had pulled the ball down and was about to take a sack when a Raider DB blew him up causing a fumble. The refs took the fumble away saying that Brady had indeed pulled the ball back from an attempted pass but had not yet made a "football move" before the ball was stripped, negating the fumble and allowing NE to score and eventually win.

Boo!

p.s. Favre restructured at least three times to help his team stay competitive, didn't he?

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
On that fateful snowy night during the Oakland game.........
in Brady's defense, and this won't come from me often, he certainly wasn't going to argue with the ref!

and Favre has restructured more than once, but that escapes media attention, probably because some big name like Moss wasn't involved.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
No, Favre got attention. Not as much as Elway did, and maybe not as much as Brady here. However, the media fawned over him a little bit also.

woodbuck27
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
On that fateful snowy night during the Oakland game.........
in Brady's defense, and this won't come from me often, he certainly wasn't going to argue with the ref!

and Favre has restructured more than once, but that escapes media attention, probably because some big name like Moss wasn't involved.

Yup.

and Favre re-structured for his own.

Merlin
05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Tom Brady =-Over-rated.

Enough Said.

green_bowl_packer
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
He'll get his karmic come uppance the first chance the Boston media get a hold of him, since he was spotted wearing a Yankee hat.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=198248

packinpatland
05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
He'll get his karmic come uppance the first chance the Boston media get a hold of him, since he was spotted wearing a Yankee hat.

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=198248

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We can hope