PDA

View Full Version : Notes from minicamp

RashanGary
05-04-2007, 07:17 PM
From the Press Gazette

The Blitz: Rookie orientation camp
The powers that be only allowed media access for one practice during the Packers' rookie orientation camp this weekend, so here's the rundown from today's 90-minute workout at the Don Hutson Center:

-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell was in uniform but did not participate in contact drills. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the team is "being smart" with Harrell, who missed most of his senior season at the University of Tennessee with a torn bicep.

-- Asked earlier today what he thinks coaches want to see, seventh-round draft pick DeShawn Wynn said "smartness and toughness." The latter came in question almost immediately as Wynn left practice early with a left calf injury. He had a wrap on it for an extended period and did not return. It's unclear whether he'll participate the rest of the weekend. While he was on the field, Wynn fumbled one handoff from John Stocco and fell flat on his face on another carry.

-- It's not saying much, but Stocco was the stronger of the two quarterbacks today. Neither he nor Jerry Babb (Louisiana-Lafayette) has great arm strength. But while Stocco seemed to find his rhythm during the 11-on-11 period, Babb threw a series of wobblers, including one that went directly to cornerback Tramon Williams.

-- Receiver David Clowney's speed is as good as advertised -- at least in shorts. The Virginia Tech product might have been a little overly anxious to show it off, taking one pass from Stocco and running the length of the practice field before coaches summoned him back to the huddle.

-- For what it's worth, running back Brandon Jackson (Nebraska) showed nifty moves in traffic during the team period. Twice, he got past the first level untouched. But again ... they're in shorts.

-- Former UW-La Crosse basketball player Joe Werner posted a perfect score on a team-conducted movement screen this morning, according to McCarthy. With no playing experience since early in high school, however, Werner didn't shock anyone by dropping at least two passes. He does take the prize for largest calves among his group in position drills. He's wearing No. 46.

-- For Badgers fans, Stocco suited up in No. 10. His college number (7) belongs to Ingle Martin.

-- Stocco and Babb both were 3-for-4 in the 7-on-7 passing drill. In the 11-on-11 period, Stocco fired two strikes to Calvin Russell -- on a play-action rollout and a post, respectively -- while Babb threw the interception and airmailed Clowney with his only other pass.

-- McCarthy said Russell, a first-year player from Tuskegee, has added 8 to 10 pounds on his 6-foot frame since last season.

Practice continues Saturday, though reporters won't see another workout until the mandatory minicamp begins Friday, May 18.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 5:09 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote board
Quick hits from other rookies' first meeting with the media:

"I really didn't pay attention to the magazines. The magazines don't watch film on me, and the magazines don't come to my practice or the pro day."
-- Third-round draft pick James Jones, on being projected as a Day 2 selection

"He said, 'During football season, there's no other place in the country you'd want to be,' so that kind of fired me up to get over here."
-- Sixth-round draft pick Korey Hall, on former Boise State teammate Daryn Colledge's post-draft advice

"It's going to bring out the best in me and the best in ... the other guys. So it's going to be a good thing. It's going to be fun. ... It's a great thing about football -- kickers, we don't get one-on-one competition that much, and it's going to be a fun thing to go through."
-- Sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby, on competing with incumbent place-kicker Dave Rayner

"I'm getting a chance right now, and in the end, that's all that matters. It just feels good to be here right now, but I've got a lot to prove."
-- Former Badgers quarterback John Stocco, on his weekend tryout in Green Bay

"Donald Driver has done a lot of things that I want to come out here and do the same ... just in a bigger aspect of the game, being able to go deep."
-- Fifth-round draft pick David Clowney, on what he brings as a receiver

"Just do what I've done my whole life -- just work as hard as I can any chance that I get and hopefully, can step in and help the team win some games and hopefully, win a Super Bowl."
-- Seventh-round draft pick Clark Harris, on what he has to do to get into the tight end rotation

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
"I really didn't pay attention to the magazines. The magazines don't watch film on me, and the magazines don't come to my practice or the pro day."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

RashanGary
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing Harv. The reporters, who have been a bunch of idiots lately IMO, were probably getting on him to build a story that he's not worth it and he shut them up. Good job.

Charles Woodson
05-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I have a feeling that this will end up a pretty good draft from TT, but i still think we have a few more missing pieces before we can consider the playoffs. But hey, who knows.

motife
05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
former wonder poster Anti-Polar Bear's predictions on the draft :

Plain and simple, Thompson's third draft is a failure. The Packers are actually worse off after this draft than before. 2-14 is written all over the 2007 season. Here is the logic to why thompson earned an F.

1. (16) Justin Harrell: injury-prone DT, who thompson couldve gotten in the 2nd round. Not trading up to get RB Peterson or Lynch was bad. Passing QB Quinn will come back to haunt the Pack. All said, Cleditus Hunt is back in town.

2. (63) Brandon Jackson: So slow that Al Harris can outrun him. Ahman Green was tunder and lightning. Jackson is neither. Goddamn, I miss Ahman Green.

3. (78) James Jones: Will not beat out Ferguson for the third spot. Hell, he wont even beat out Ruvell for the forth spot.

3. (89) Aaron Rouse: Inconsistent. Randy Moss shouldve been a Packer.

4. (119) Allen Barbre: Pratice squad canidate.

5. (157) David Clowney: Wont make the team.

6. (191) Korey Hall: wont make the team.

6. (192) Desmond Bishop: wont make the team.

6. (193) Mason Crosby: wont make the team.

7. (228) DeShawn Wynn: wont make the team.

7. (243) Clark Harris: who gives a fvck?

gbpackfan
05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
That prediction is so negative it's funny! HA HA HA.

MJZiggy
05-04-2007, 09:02 PM
APB loves TT.

LL2
05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
-- It's not saying much, but Stocco was the stronger of the two quarterbacks today. Neither he nor Jerry Babb (Louisiana-Lafayette) has great arm strength. But while Stocco seemed to find his rhythm during the 11-on-11 period, Babb threw a series of wobblers, including one that went directly to cornerback Tramon Williams.

Hopefully Stocco shows enough promise to keep getting asked to come back. I'm rooting for the guy. Send Jerry the Babbler home.

RashanGary
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Larry McCarren said the rookie that stuck out like a sore thumb in a good way was James Jones.

He said he looks big and plays bigger. He said he really went after the ball. They showed a 30 yd bomb and it was just out of his reach, he just got two hands on it and hauled it in.

I don't know, might be a good sign.

motife
05-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Here was Anti-Polar Bear (aka Tank) ranking after last year's draft :

Rd Players
1 Hawk LB
Michael Huff was clearly the best defensive players in this draft; the Texas DB has not weakness at all. Hawk’s coverage skill is a liability. I think Greenway is the more complete player because he has excellent coverage skill. Why did Thompson draft Hawk if he was not the best defensive player? Same reason why you would marry an ugly girl over a pretty girl. You love the ugly girl.

2 Colledge OG
Best pick in this draft. Colledge could be this year’s version of Logan Mankins, the players the Polar Bear should’ve drafted in the 1st rd last year. Thompson should’ve drafted this guy at #37 instead and pick Chad Jackson at #36. The Polar Bear traded down and that is a terrible mistake.

2 Jenning WR
Two words: Chad Jackson. Two more words: **** up. All Thompson got for trading Walker is this guy.

3 Hodge LB
Undersized LB who likely would not beat out a healthy Brady Poppinga. Might start because he’s all the Packers have.

3 Spitz OL
Also could start because Pack are desperate at OL. Somebody in the Packers front office named Ted missed opportunities to sign proven veterans Mike Wahle and Steve Hutchinson.

4 Rogers WR
Ted Thompson thinks Rodgers to Rogers will be enough to take the Packers to the next level in the year After Favre. I think he is delusional.

4 Blackman CB/WR
Memories of Roosevelt Blackman still linger in my mind.

5 Martin QB
Practice squad candidate.

5 Moll OT
Practice squad candidate

6 Jolly OT
Won’t make the team.

6 Culver S
Won’t make the team

7. Who gives a fvck?

Overall Grade: D+
Hawk could turn out to be a super star and make me look like a fool. But as long as Huff is better, I will continue to look like a genius. Huff will be better than Hawk. These are the words of a genius like me. This whole draft would be rated F if not for the Colledge pick. Memories of those wonderful days when Mike Sherman was winning linger still in my mind. Cherish those moments as it may be 20 years before the Packers make the Playoffs again. Of course, the Packers are not destined to go through 20 years of losing seasons; that is, if the Packers fire their current GM right now, they would be a contender in as early as 2007.

LL2
05-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Shows how much Tank knows!

LL2
05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I wonder if any of the undrafted and walk on players will get asked back to the next mini camp? Does Werner and Stocco have to be under some kind of contract to be brought back again?

pbmax
05-06-2007, 09:23 AM
"Player A looked to be 6' 1" and 207 lbs. and could walk in a straight line while chewing gum as advertised. But remember, THIS IS JUST IN SHORTS! No telling what will happen when the pads go on. A lot can change."

Sometimes writers are at pains to make a point TOO often. As if to say, don't blame me if this guys a dud.

GBRulz
05-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Some of this might be repeated from above, but here is the entire weekend blog in the Press Gazette.

I'm really quite pissed about only allowing the NFL mandated number of minicamps (aka OTA's) open to the public. 4 days, down from 14 last year. Wonder who gets the final say in this. I do know that the front office phone lines will be ringing....

Sunday, May 6, 2007
Packers rookies conclude weekend practices
The Packers concluded their final day of practice today at their three-day rookie orientation camp.

"I thought practice today was the best of the three," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "I told them after practice it really served a purpose that we intended, it's an introduction to what's ahead. When they come back, they'll be a lot faster. Everybody's going to know what they're doing."

Practices on Saturday and Sunday were closed to the media. McCarthy spoke at a post-practice press conference in the team's media auditorium.

The 32 rookies and first-year players who participated in the weekend camp are scheduled to return on May 15, according to McCarthy, in advance of the Packers' mandatory minicamp, which will be held May 18-20.

-- Mike Vandermause, mvandermause@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 12:38 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 4, 2007
Fans now will only see four OTAs
The Green Bay Packers announced Tuesday that fans and media would be allowed to watch six days of their organized team activities this year, down from 14 a year ago.

That number now has dropped to four.

Citing an NFL rule requiring teams to open one in every three OTAs to the media, the Packers said today that media and fans also will be barred from watching practices June 4 and 11. That leaves only four open practices (weather permitting) between this month's minicamp and training camp: May 31 and June 7, 14 and 18.

Some veterans are expected to be excused from the two Monday practices the team closed today.

The Packers are the only team to open OTAs to the public, the team said Tuesday. The open practices will be at 11:15 a.m. at Ray Nitschke Field.

posted by PackersNews.com at 5:43 PM | 0 Comments

Media members outnumber players
* Members of the media outnumbered the players, 38-32, on the first day of the Packers' rookie orientation camp inside the Don Hutson Center Friday afternoon. Only rookies and first-year players are attending the three-day camp.

* Former Packers receiver Robert Brooks attended the afternoon practice and, according to a Packers spokesman, was supposed to address the rookies on Friday evening.

* John Jones, who will take over for Bob Harlan as team chairman at the end of the month, was in attendance.

-- Mike Vandermause
posted by PackersNews.com at 5:26 PM | 0 Comments

The powers that be only allowed media access for one practice during the Packers' rookie orientation camp this weekend, so here's the rundown from today's 90-minute workout at the Don Hutson Center:

-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell was in uniform but did not participate in contact drills. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said the team is "being smart" with Harrell, who missed most of his senior season at the University of Tennessee with a torn bicep.

-- Asked earlier today what he thinks coaches want to see, seventh-round draft pick DeShawn Wynn said "smartness and toughness." The latter came in question almost immediately as Wynn left practice early with a left calf injury. He had a wrap on it for an extended period and did not return. It's unclear whether he'll participate the rest of the weekend. While he was on the field, Wynn fumbled one handoff from John Stocco and fell flat on his face on another carry.

-- Receiver David Clowney's speed is as good as advertised -- at least in shorts. The Virginia Tech product might have been a little overly anxious to show it off, taking one pass from Stocco and running the length of the practice field before coaches summoned him back to the huddle.

-- For what it's worth, running back Brandon Jackson (Nebraska) showed nifty moves in traffic during the team period. Twice, he got past the first level untouched. But again ... they're in shorts.

-- Former UW-La Crosse basketball player Joe Werner posted a perfect score on a team-conducted movement screen this morning, according to McCarthy. With no playing experience since early in high school, however, Werner didn't shock anyone by dropping at least two passes. He does take the prize for largest calves among his group in position drills. He's wearing No. 46.

-- For Badgers fans, Stocco suited up in No. 10. His college number (7) belongs to Ingle Martin.

-- Stocco and Babb both were 3-for-4 in the 7-on-7 passing drill. In the 11-on-11 period, Stocco fired two strikes to Calvin Russell -- on a play-action rollout and a post, respectively -- while Babb threw the interception and airmailed Clowney with his only other pass.

-- McCarthy said Russell, a first-year player from Tuskegee, has added 8 to 10 pounds on his 6-foot frame since last season.

Practice continues Saturday, though reporters won't see another workout until the mandatory minicamp begins Friday, May 18.

posted by PackersNews.com at 5:09 PM | 0 Comments

Quote board
Quick hits from other rookies' first meeting with the media:

"He said, 'During football season, there's no other place in the country you'd want to be,' so that kind of fired me up to get over here."
-- Sixth-round draft pick Korey Hall, on former Boise State teammate Daryn Colledge's post-draft advice

"It's going to bring out the best in me and the best in ... the other guys. So it's going to be a good thing. It's going to be fun. ... It's a great thing about football -- kickers, we don't get one-on-one competition that much, and it's going to be a fun thing to go through."
-- Sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby, on competing with incumbent place-kicker Dave Rayner

"I'm getting a chance right now, and in the end, that's all that matters. It just feels good to be here right now, but I've got a lot to prove."
-- Former Badgers quarterback John Stocco, on his weekend tryout in Green Bay

"Donald Driver has done a lot of things that I want to come out here and do the same ... just in a bigger aspect of the game, being able to go deep."
-- Fifth-round draft pick David Clowney, on what he brings as a receiver

"Just do what I've done my whole life -- just work as hard as I can any chance that I get and hopefully, can step in and help the team win some games and hopefully, win a Super Bowl."
-- Seventh-round draft pick Clark Harris, on what he has to do to get into the tight end rotation

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:12 PM | 1 Comments

Harrell soaks in Packers history
Justin Harrell said he arrived in Green Bay Thursday afternoon and along with the Packers' other rookies, had dinner at Lambeau Field overlooking the field and viewed a team highlight film.

Harrell shrugged off the boos by Packers fans when the team selected him last Saturday. "It's not the first time I've been booed," he said.

As for his first visit to Wisconsin and Green Bay, Harrell said: "I compare it a lot to the first day of college."

Harrell was only healthy for one full season in college, but he doesn't consider himself injury prone. "My injuries, I look at them as unlucky," he said.

-- Mike Vandermause
posted by PackersNews.com at 11:37 AM | 0 Comments

Harrell: Green Bay 'a lot like home'
In his first Packers press conference this afternoon, first-round draft pick Justin Harrell said Green Bay "looks a lot like home."

A native of Martin, Tenn., Harrell hasn't taken a tour of town since arriving this week, but he said he is familiar with Packers culture -- most notable, Vince Lombardi, Lambeau Field, Reggie White and Brett Favre. Harrell met White while playing at the University of Tennessee, White's alma mater, and said there "couldn't be a better person" to model his career and life after.

Harrell said he weighs 310 pounds -- 10 pounds over his playing weight the past three years -- and hasn't decided at what weight he'll play this season.

Coaches began going through the defense with Harrell and other players this morning. The first formal practice of rookie minicamp is this afternoon.

posted by PackersNews.com at 11:32 AM | 0 Comments

Harrell to wear No. 91
Packers general manager Ted Thompson presented Harrell with a No. 91 jersey prior to the start of the press conference.

-- Mike Vandermause
posted by PackersNews.com at 11:23 AM | 0 Comments

Harrell press conference delayed
First-round draft choice Justin Harrell is completing what a Packers official described as "morning obligations," thus his scheduled 12:15 p.m. press conference has been delayed by a few minutes.

-- Mike Vandermause
posted by PackersNews.com at 11:20 AM | 0 Comments

First-round pick Justin Harrell in town today

Check back this afternoon after Packers General Manager Ted Thompson introduces first-round draft pick Justin Harrell to the media.

Our reporters will be at the 12:15 p.m. news conference at Lambeau Field and will update PackersNews.com readers through this blog.

In addition, check back often today, Saturday and Sunday for updates on the Packers' rookie orientation camp.

The camp is not open to the public, but our reporters will bring you updates from Lambeau on the camp.
posted by PackersNews.com at 10:19 AM | 0 Comments

About this blog
Press-Gazette reporters Rob Demovsky (above from left), Mike Vandermause, Pete Dougherty and Tom Pelissero give PackersNews.com readers some insight on what's happening with the Green Bay Packers.

Previous
Packers rookies conclude weekend practices
Fans now will only see four OTAs
Media members outnumber players
Quote board
Harrell soaks in Packers history
Harrell: Green Bay 'a lot like home'
Harrell to wear No. 91
Harrell press conference delayed
First-round pick Justin Harrell in town today
Archives