PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Impresses, Wynn Struggles at First Glance

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Rookie backs have mixed workouts
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - Brandon Jackson got off on the right foot and DeShawn Wynn got off on the wrong calf as the Green Bay Packers got a look at their new rookie class.

The two running backs, Jackson a second-round pick from Nebraska and Wynn a seventh-round pick from Florida, were on display during a 90-minute or so workout Friday afternoon at the Don Hutson Center. Both are firmly in the mix for a starting running back job that is wide open after the departure of Ahman Green in free agency.

The rookie orientation camp this weekend is a far cry from an NFL game or even a training camp practice, and not a lot can be read from abbreviated workouts featuring just 31 players. But what stood out was that Jackson has the quick cutting ability the club said he had when they drafted him.

"I thought Jackson's feet were everything we saw on film," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think he has very good start and stop. That's one thing you're able to see out here."

Wynn didn't make as good of an impression. Coming to the Packers with a reputation for being lazy and undisciplined, Wynn vowed before practice to show people that he was not the player some have made him out to be.

He said he felt he was every bit as athletic as the cluster of running backs taken in the second round and was eager to prove it.

"I'm here on a clean slate," said Wynn, who gained 630 yards (5.1-yard average) in 10 starts for the Gators last season. "I'm looking forward to making my own name here in Green Bay."

Unfortunately for Wynn, he had rough day. He tripped over his own feet and tumbled running through a gaping hole during an early run drill and then was forced out of the practice later when he suffered a pulled left calf muscle.

McCarthy wasn't sure of the severity of the injury and said Wynn's status for the final two days of the camp were up in the air.

Under consideration: McCarthy confirmed the team's interest in free-agent wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, saying the opportunity to add someone who can help the team would never be overlooked.

"I think any time you can upgrade your football team, whether it's a veteran or a younger player, it's something you have to look at," McCarthy said. "Obviously, Keyshawn's been very effective, very productive in the National Football League. I think you have to look at all those situations and that's what we do."

The Packers have an interest in signing Johnson, but they are competing with a lot of teams and probably would have to outbid the rest to get him to play in Green Bay.

First impressions: McCarthy's reason for having a rookie camp two weeks ahead of the full mini-camp was so the newcomers would have time to adjust to their surroundings and the system in which they're going to play.

In previous years, the rookies were thrown in with veterans without really knowing the system and wound up getting little out of the camp. McCarthy is having the rookies run exactly the same things the entire team will run when it gathers May 18 for the mandatory mini-camp.

"If you just took this group and threw them in with the veterans, I mean, they're clearly at a disadvantage," McCarthy said. "Not a lot of veteran players help the young guys. You'd like to think they all do, but that's who their competing with."

The rookies have had little or no interaction with the veterans, many of whom were around this week taking part in the off-season conditioning program. By the time the rookies reported at 4 p.m., however, most of the veterans had left for the weekend.

McCarthy had a dinner for the rookies in a Lambeau Field dining room and showed them a film about the history of the Packers organization so they would get a better feel of their new home.

Long shots: A total of eight players were brought in for tryouts, including former UW quarterback John Stocco.

Those who had not previously been reported were: cornerback Chris Anzano of Pace University, center Pete Bier of Army, tackle Adam Tadisch of North Dakota State, safety Tristan Burge of Eastern Illinois and defensive lineman Devon Hicks of Northwest Mississippi Community College.

The 6-foot-6, 330-pound Tadisch is from Wausaukee.

All of the players are eligible to practice during the three-day camp, but none has been signed to a contract.

One of the tryout participants, former UW-La Crosse basketball player Joe Werner, stood up just fine athletically among those attending the camp. All of the players were put through a movement test the Packers use to pinpoint muscle weaknesses.

"He had a perfect score," McCarthy said. "His athletic ability is exceptional. (But) I don't think anyone has made a football team in his underwear."

the_idle_threat
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
"He had a perfect score," McCarthy said. "His athletic ability is exceptional. (But) I don't think anyone has made a football team in his underwear."

No ... that's how you make a cheerleading squad. :P

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Big dude

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/69/6977_large.jpg

Hopefully, this former Cornhusker can make Ahman proud.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/69/6978_large.jpg

James Jones looks strong.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/69/6979_large.jpg

RashanGary
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
McCArren said he stood out with his hands and size

Jones that is.

BF4MVP
05-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Better order my Brandon Jackson jersey..

LL2
05-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Harrell is a beast! We have to give him a nickname. I really haven't seen him play, but is he a Bulldozer?

Bretsky
05-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Harrell is a beast! We have to give him a nickname. I really haven't seen him play, but is he a Bulldozer?

How about the Hairy Bull ?

Iron Mike
05-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Justin Credible. :P

MadtownPacker
05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Damn, nice KoolAid injection here!

Real excited to see what Harrell can bring but Jackson makes me think of all the Denver no-name RBs who had big success in the ZBS. Wasn't Clinton Portis a 2nd rounder?

SO whats up with your North Dakota homie Harvey? Is he worthy of having his name highlighted or you just being a homer?

Brando19
05-05-2007, 09:23 AM

Justin Credible. :P

The wrestler?

oregonpackfan
05-05-2007, 10:14 AM
One sportswriter responded to Wynn's reputation of being lazy and noncommited to football fitness, "He's a fat guy waiting to run."

Enough said.

RashanGary
05-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Wynn just seems like a guy that has no clue of the oppertunity he has. If he worked hard and gave everything to the game he probably could have been more productive and gone in the 2nd round but he just doesn't seem to give a shit.

It just bothers me to see that. I don't mean to be a prick but I really hope that if he flops on lazyness that he flops before he gets his 4 or 5 year NFL Pension. That way he feels the true pain of his bad decisions.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2007, 02:13 PM
SO whats up with your North Dakota homie Harvey? Is he worthy of having his name highlighted or you just being a homer?

Homer. I don't know anything about him. I had heard about Dahl, and they have a couple of younger players that will be worth watching, but don't know anything about the OL.

KYPack
05-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Real excited to see what Harrell can bring but Jackson makes me think of all the Denver no-name RBs who had big success in the ZBS. Wasn't Clinton Portis a 2nd rounder?

Terrell Davis was a 6th.

Davis had slow 40's. Which shows how meaningless a low score in these workout numbers can be.

Fritz
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Umm, if you look at that picture of Harrell above, all you need to do is imagine a laundry basket beneath him, and he becomes Najeh Too.

God I hope I'm wrong, but that pose is a bit awkward.

esoxx
05-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Terrell Davis was a 6th.

Davis had slow 40's. Which shows how meaningless a low score in these workout numbers can be.

Dan Alexander - RB Nebraska, was a 6th round choice by Tennessee in '01. Dee Brown - RB Syracuse was also picked in the 6th, by Carolina.

How did those turn out?

Of course a player can be found in any round. But, by and large, the vast majority of late round picks are JAG or don't even make the roster.

LL2
05-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Umm, if you look at that picture of Harrell above, all you need to do is imagine a laundry basket beneath him, and he becomes Najeh Too.

DT and RB are two totally different positions. Don't think you can compare.

MJZiggy
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM

A pause for prayer and meditation.