PDA

View Full Version : MISC TIDBITS FROM NFL

Bretsky
05-05-2007, 06:40 AM
What most football writers don’t like about Randy Moss is that he has no time for them. His indifference toward them definitely influences their writing. Moss could care less about idle chit-chat in the locker room.

One of the problems in our society is that we generally don’t accept people for who they are. Moss is definitely different and he has his own football standards. It doesn’t mean we have to accept Moss’ actions, like his penchant to be lazy off the line when he knows he’s a decoy on a particular play. He’s been pretty much a front-runner as a receiver; great when the team is winning; lackadaisical at times when it is losing.

To me, it’s almost perfect that he will play in Boston, where the Red Sox employ talented Manny Ramirez, who smiles a lot more than Randy and also has a familiar quirk about taking a few days off. Last season, Manny pretty much ditched September, but the Fenway faithful still cheer him on.

While there is some dog in Moss, he usually worked hard and ran hard in the practices I have attended throughout his career. He wasn’t like Michael Irvin, but he definitely gave a quality effort. He was even busting his butt last summer in Napa, where the Raiders hold training camp, despite the most disconcerting offensive practices I have ever witnessed in almost 30 years. There were literally five minutes at times between plays; it looked like junior high football.

You could see frustration on the players’ faces. It was only August, but you could sense that the Raiders would be lucky to win a few games despite a pretty talented defense. The offense was a Tom Walsh mess and then head coach Art Shell was allowing it to happen. Plus, Moss knew that quarterback Aaron Brooks was the worst kind of leader.

Moss, who was generally hurt much of last season, basically threw up his arms, knowing he had better offensive training at Marshall in the late 1990s.

Does that condone his lack of effort? No, but it explains him a little.

To understand his thinking, consider this: If you had a choice between playing for a rookie head coach (Lane Kiffin) who wasn’t even the owner’s first choice or Bill Belichick, whom would you pick? If we polled every NFL player, the results would be above 90 percent for Belichick.

Hey, Kiffin might turn out to be pretty good. But Moss wants to win now. And I believe all he wants is some structure to his football existence.

Moss-Packers

Without question, Randy Moss preferred Tom Brady to Brett Favre and Belichick to Mike McCarthy. But if you were Packers GM Ted Thompson, and you really wanted Moss, plus you’ve known Oakland’s asking price, why would you play hardball with the receiver? I mean, don’t give him the same one-year salary deal he received in New England?

Better yet, Thompson should have given Moss a better deal than the one the Patriots were offering. That possibly would have tipped the scales in Green Bay’s favor. The bottom line is that Thompson and the Packers really didn’t want Moss, a receiver who has torched them for 14 of his 101 career receiving touchdowns.

Cleveland flashback

The Browns did very well in the draft when you consider they had Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn rated fourth overall on their draft board. They were able to pick him with the Cowboys’ 22nd overall pick. Granted, they surrendered next year’s first-round pick for Brady, but GM Phil Savage is hoping that it won’t be as high as the Browns' pick was this year.

Cleveland doesn’t get a free pass on Wisconsin left tackle Joe Thomas. Last year, Savage gave Atlanta tackle Kevin Shaffer a 6-year, $36 million contract to play left tackle. Thomas will eventually receive a contract more expensive than Shaffer’s and now the Browns are trying to unload Shaffer. The Giants, who are desperate for a left tackle with the release of Luke Petitgout, wouldn’t surrender a fourth-round pick for Shaffer.

So while Savage deserves credit for this year’s draft, he deserves low marks for signing Shaffer to such a huge contract.

Turner off the market

I don’t blame San Diego GM A.J. Smith for announcing he’s keeping Michael Turner as LaDainian Tomlinson’s backup. The Chargers need every quality player they have in order to compete with the Patriots and Colts this season.

But I do find a lot of fault with Tennessee and Green Bay. Neither team was willing to trade a second-round pick for Turner, who is better than any running back currently on either team’s roster. Instead, the Titans may have wasted their second-round pick on Arizona running back Chris Henry, who started 10 games in college. Henry’s stock soared in the draft because he was a workout warrior.

Call him a steal

Who is the only NFL tight end to catch two touchdowns in the playoffs last season? If you guessed Indy’s Dallas Clark, you would be wrong.

Tampa Bay’s new tight end, Jerramy Stevens, did. He scored twice in Seattle’s wild-card victory over Dallas. Tony Gonzalez and Daniel Graham of the Patriots had one each.

Even though Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren highly recommended Stevens, the Panthers and Jets turned their noses up on him. Stevens is considered a bad guy even though he currently isn’t in the NFL drug program. His problem is alcohol, not illegal drugs. Of course, he recently was arrested for a DUI, so his standing could change. The Bucs signed him for $600,000 and that could prove to be a bargain.

19 Comments | Add a comment

Bretsky
05-05-2007, 06:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2858916

Can Brett Favre be happy with the Packers' offseason?
Favre had a great time last season. The Packers went 8-8. Favre liked his young offensive line and his young receiver, Greg Jennings. Optimistic about the chances of going to the playoffs, Favre returned for another season. So far, he's been greeted with an offseason in which cornerback Frank Walker was the only acquisition in free agency. He lost his backfield mate, Ahman Green. The running game enters the unknown with rookie Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency. Nothing was done at tight end. Everyone remembers how Favre struggled mentally and emotionally in the 4-12 season in 2005. He wondered why he came back. Favre hates to lose. He wants one more chance at a Super Bowl, but at the very least, he wants another shot at the playoffs. Football is fun for Favre, but he needs to have more winning to make it fun enough to stay motivated.

Did the Vikings make a mistake passing on Brady Quinn?
Last Saturday, the draft played out so well for the Vikings that they had the option of getting a franchise quarterback or a franchise running back. Quinn tempted them, but they went with Adrian Peterson. No one can argue about Peterson's talent. He's an angry runner and a great talent. Within a year, he should be among the elite backs in football. Watch how well he runs to his left behind Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchinson. Watch how well he runs in a division of light Cover 2 defenses. Once that excitement fades, though, the reality is Tarvaris Jackson is the starting quarterback and Quinn is no longer an option. Brad Childress is betting his Vikings' future on Jackson. He loves his arm, mobility and leadership. Jackson showed some flashes last season, but now he has the job for 16 games. If he fails, everyone is in trouble in Minnesota.

Bretsky
05-05-2007, 06:45 AM
He’s a Packer
BY CODY THORN / FOR THE PRESS
Published: Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:34 PM CDT
E-mail this story | Print this page

Allen Barbre makes hit against Pittsburg State. Barbre was drafted by the Packers on Sunday. Submitted Photo

After spending all of Saturday waiting to hear NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell call his name, Allen Barbre didn’t have to wait long on Sunday.

The former East Newton and Missouri Southern football standout was selected with the 19th pick in the fourth round by the Green Bay Packers.

Barbre, with the pick, becomes the highest player from MSSU to be drafted and the second highest ever to be drafted out the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association.

“I was a little down after Saturday, but I knew the possibility (of not getting taken) was there,” said Barbre Sunday afternoon. “Today has been surreal…it’s unreal.”

Barbre was the fifth pick of the draft by the Packers and ended up being the only lineman drafted by the squad that went 8-8 last year.

He was at his parents’ house in Joplin when his cell phone rang around 10:30 a.m.

It wasn’t the Packers, it was the Cowboys calling him to let him know they intended to pick Barbre with their next pick. That never happened.

The Packers plucked Barbre, regarded as one of the best linemen in the draft, before Dallas had a pick.

“I didn’t expect it,” said Barbre of going to the Packers. “The only time I had talked to them was at the combine.”

He was on the phone with Green Bay officials, including general manager Ted Thompson, when his name was announced on ESPN’s draft coverage.

“I didn’t see it, because I was too busy on the phone…it was so hectic,” said Barbre.

Yahoo Sports graded the Packers with a C- on their draft, but noted that Barbre “could move to guard and be a real steal.”

Green Bay offensive line coach James Campen was pleased with the new addition.

"He's a terrific athlete," Campen said in Monday’s edition of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "Very explosive young man. One game we scouted he had 16 legitimate knockdowns in one game. "He's a very coachable kid. He's a very head-strong kid. He had an excellent interview (at the combine). A very positive kid."

Barbre leaves Thursday to fly to Green Bay to take part in the rookie mini-camp.

“I’m looking forward to getting up there and getting to work and get to know my teammates,” said Barbre.

Fritz
05-05-2007, 07:05 AM
"Without question, Randy Moss preferred Tom Brady to Brett Favre and Belichick to Mike McCarthy. But if you were Packers GM Ted Thompson, and you really wanted Moss, plus you’ve known Oakland’s asking price, why would you play hardball with the receiver? I mean, don’t give him the same one-year salary deal he received in New England?

Better yet, Thompson should have given Moss a better deal than the one the Patriots were offering. That possibly would have tipped the scales in Green Bay’s favor. The bottom line is that Thompson and the Packers really didn’t want Moss, a receiver who has torched them for 14 of his 101 career receiving touchdowns."

I admit to being puzzled by people who think that throwing more money at Randy Moss to bring him to Green Bay would have worked out. Moss has proven over time that if an organization is not winning and he's not seeing the ball, then he's gonna piss and moan and become a distraction. Hell, he made wheelbarrows full of cash in Oakland the last two years, but he still managed to be unhappy. Why would it be any different in Green Bay? The Pack may be moving in the right direction, but if Moss doesn't sniff the Super Bowl he's going to be disgruntled.

the_idle_threat
05-05-2007, 08:05 AM
But I do find a lot of fault with Tennessee and Green Bay. Neither team was willing to trade a second-round pick for Turner.

How does this guy know Turner was definitely available for a 2nd round pick? Is he just assuming this? :?:

MJZiggy
05-05-2007, 09:04 AM
But I do find a lot of fault with Tennessee and Green Bay. Neither team was willing to trade a second-round pick for Turner.

How does this guy know Turner was definitely available for a 2nd round pick? Is he just assuming this? :?:

You see there was this rumor, so therefore it must have been right you see.

MadtownPacker
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
moss can eat bad crab and die!!!

Move on!!!

prsnfoto
05-05-2007, 01:44 PM
"Without question, Randy Moss preferred Tom Brady to Brett Favre and Belichick to Mike McCarthy. But if you were Packers GM Ted Thompson, and you really wanted Moss, plus you’ve known Oakland’s asking price, why would you play hardball with the receiver? I mean, don’t give him the same one-year salary deal he received in New England?

Better yet, Thompson should have given Moss a better deal than the one the Patriots were offering. That possibly would have tipped the scales in Green Bay’s favor. The bottom line is that Thompson and the Packers really didn’t want Moss, a receiver who has torched them for 14 of his 101 career receiving touchdowns."

I admit to being puzzled by people who think that throwing more money at Randy Moss to bring him to Green Bay would have worked out. Moss has proven over time that if an organization is not winning and he's not seeing the ball, then he's gonna piss and moan and become a distraction. Hell, he made wheelbarrows full of cash in Oakland the last two years, but he still managed to be unhappy. Why would it be any different in Green Bay? The Pack may be moving in the right direction, but if Moss doesn't sniff the Super Bowl he's going to be disgruntled.

I think he was assuming that TT could have given a 3rd and took NE out of the picture, however it has become apparent Moss would not have been as nice to us as far as restructuring that was the reason it didn't happen. If Moss would have came to us for the same dough and it would have cost us one of our 3rd's then I would be very upset with turtle.

cpk1994
05-05-2007, 02:15 PM

He also fails to realize that Turner was a restricted free agent and it would have required a 1st and a 3rd to get him. So why should SD settle for a 2ns when they could have gotten a 1st and 3rd? The answer? Because this guys a dolt and would prbably buy swamp land if you sold it to him.

falco
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM

He also fails to realize that Turner was a restricted free agent and it would have required a 1st and a 3rd to get him. So why should SD settle for a 2ns when they could have gotten a 1st and 3rd? The answer? Because this guys a dolt and would prbably buy swamp land if you sold it to him.

Why settle for a 2nd? Because it looks like no one is willing to give a 1st & 3rd, and if they don't trade him this year, they get zip for him next.

There was a lot of talk that they were willing to take a second by draft day, but obviously it was all coming from the rumor mill.

woodbuck27
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM

I agree with you Fritz.

He had choice of teams. It's clear to me that choice was easy. :)

pbmax
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Good luck with this one, Randy. Manny might get cheered by the faithful, but that's probably an aberration in a town that can be unforgiveable to fallen players.

Ramirez might also get a break that he's likable and plays baseball.

Moss will face a very hostile media, and while they might pro-Belicheck (save Ron Borges) the fans aren't going to be won over by Moss' happy-go-lucky personality.

To me, it’s almost perfect that he will play in Boston, where the Red Sox employ talented Manny Ramirez, who smiles a lot more than Randy and also has a familiar quirk about taking a few days off. Last season, Manny pretty much ditched September, but the Fenway faithful still cheer him on.

pbmax
05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
There are, what, 90+ shopping days left to the start of the regular season?

I don't think Turner is completely off the market yet.

Turner off the market

I don’t blame San Diego GM A.J. Smith for announcing he’s keeping Michael Turner as LaDainian Tomlinson’s backup. The Chargers need every quality player they have in order to compete with the Patriots and Colts this season.

But I do find a lot of fault with Tennessee and Green Bay. Neither team was willing to trade a second-round pick for Turner, who is better than any running back currently on either team’s roster. Instead, the Titans may have wasted their second-round pick on Arizona running back Chris Henry, who started 10 games in college. Henry’s stock soared in the draft because he was a workout warrior.

retailguy
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
There was a lot of talk that they were willing to take a second by draft day, but obviously it was all coming from the rumor mill.

Or, no one really was willing to give up a 2 for him....