PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Money

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 08:20 PM
HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $54 million deal, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft Saturday.

Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Man, no wonder teams want to trade down and can't find any takers anymore. How did it get like this?

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Thats 9 mil per year. That is Favre $$..

Scott Campbell
04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Que the broken record.

The NFL needs a rookie scale that mirrors what they do in the NBA.

billy_oliver880
04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
What if this guy flops...are they up a creek or what? :shock:

Scott Campbell
04-28-2006, 09:04 PM
What if this guy flops...are they up a creek or what? :shock:

And what if Alex Smith flops? Same deal. This happens every year, only every year it gets a little worse. It's way too much money for any franchise to bet on an unknown commodity. You're crippled for years if you bet wrong.

Rastak
04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans have signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $54 million deal, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft Saturday.

Of the $54 million, Williams is guaranteed $26.5 million.

Man, no wonder teams want to trade down and can't find any takers anymore. How did it get like this?

I completely agree....and Williamd isn't a sure thing either.

No Mo Moss
04-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Completely out of control. Not that its ever OK to pull a stunt like JW, but when guys currently on the roster who are proven players see rookies sign these kind of deals without taking a snap it pisses them off. I guess Walker isn't the best example of this but you know what I mean. Just a Joke. I mean houston is @#1 spot because they suck. The draft is designed to make your team better. Unfortunately if MArio is a bust or has injuries, it screws Houston long term and is counter-productive at improving them. Something needs to be done about this.

VegasPackFan
04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I agree. However....

This is a phenomena that is most like the real world than any other in pro sports.

I constantly see long timers at companies that have great track records and work ethic getting creamed by rookies off the street. Its because the 3-5% yearly raise cant keep up with market value for attracting the potential starts of tomorrow. It takes more $$ and better comp packages to get the new guys/gals.

That's how it is.

woodbuck27
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Thats 9 mil per year. That is Favre $$..

We have been calculating that the cost of an entire Rookie Class would be in the neighborhood of $6-8 Million, so this signing of one unproven Rookie at 'the DE position' is shocking.

Rookie signings should be capped for the financial security of the game. I am wondering what Reggie Bush was asking when Houston leaned to Williams?

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
The NFL needs a rookie scale

I agree with this and what would be wrong with it? Shouldn't they have to prove they are NFL quality players before receiving the crazy amounts of money? This is getting way out of control.

GrnBay007
06-01-2006, 01:46 PM
So after three years of his six year contract a new hotshot DE signs for more money.......lookout holdout.......here we come!

mngolf19
06-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I agree. However....

This is a phenomena that is most like the real world than any other in pro sports.

I constantly see long timers at companies that have great track records and work ethic getting creamed by rookies off the street. Its because the 3-5% yearly raise cant keep up with market value for attracting the potential starts of tomorrow. It takes more $$ and better comp packages to get the new guys/gals.

That's how it is.

I'm with ya on this one Vegas. That's why I jump jobs every few years. I make more money that way than staying in one spot.

BF4MVP
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Agreed

GBRulz
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
what pisses me off even more are when these rookies hold out for more money. We def need a rookie scale!

Harlan Huckleby
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Rookie scale is fine. But i feel it is important that rookies, and all young players, limit their contracts to 3 years. The long contracts have too much potential to lead to resentment if a player exceeds or underperforms his contract by a large margin.

woodbuck27
06-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Rookie scale is fine. But i feel it is important that rookies, and all young players, limit their contracts to 3 years. The long contracts have too much potential to lead to resentment if a player exceeds or underperforms his contract by a large margin.

Another excellent point HH. I believe the NHL has the right idea and a MODEL, in handling Rookie Contracts.

prsnfoto
06-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Que the broken record.

There is a rookie salary cap, each team is aloted x amount for signing there entire draft. GB was given about six million cap for this season they were I believe four highest because we had so many picks. What I don't understand is how Houston can make that work if this kid gets say a 15 million dollar signing bonus and a 4 million dollar yearly pay I would not want to be the other draft picks from Houston cause you ain't getting squat league min only.

K-town
06-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Que the broken record.

There is a rookie salary cap, each team is aloted x amount for signing there entire draft. GB was given about six million cap for this season they were I believe four highest because we had so many picks. What I don't understand is how Houston can make that work if this kid gets say a 15 million dollar signing bonus and a 4 million dollar yearly pay I would not want to be the other draft picks from Houston cause you ain't getting squat league min only.

I am sure a capologist like SHAMROCKFAN can explain this much better than me. However, I think at least some of the money is in the form of unlikely-to-be-earned incentives. Also, the cap is spread out over the entire length of the contract. Therefore, a 15 million signing bonus would only count 2.5 mil against the cap each year. I am sure Williams is getting a fairly low annual salary this year; thus the 6 or 8 or 9 mil that the Texans have for a rookie cap will only see about a third to a half go to one guy. I'm willing to bet that the back end of his contract has annual salaries that are in the 8-to 10 mil range. Hence, can you say RENEGOTIATE?

Fritz
06-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I like the idea of limiting rookie contracts but also limiting the contracts themselves to three years. At the end of three years you pretty much know what you've got (are you reading this Ahmad Carroll?). Fairer for both sides.

This signing makes for even more motivation not to get the #1 pick. Screw that. And if you're a seasoned vet on the other end of the line and you see Williams getting tossed around like a rag doll, or taking a few plays off, it'd be easy to get really upset really fast.