PDA

View Full Version : Just Compensation

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Somebody better start paying up!!!

Salary Article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18466753/)

packinpatland
05-06-2007, 09:22 AM
That $number is still way too low.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Somebody better start paying up!!!

Salary Article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18466753/)

If somebody does pay up, there will be a lot more competition from husbands for that job.

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
How much do they get paid for watching Soap Operas and Oprah? :twisted:

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 11:09 AM
How much do they get paid for watching Soap Operas and Oprah? :twisted:

Not as much as you do for your lunch breaks and coffee breaks. And for the record, I haven't seen daytime TV for years.

oregonpackfan
05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Where do I make my contribution? If I check the cusions of the family couch, I'm sure I will come up with enough cash. :)

Seriously, homemakes make phenomenal contributions that are difficult to quantify in money.

This is why insurance agents want life insurance policies on the homemaker as well as the financial provider. If the homemaker dies, finanically replacing her(him) would be a huge financial cost.

Merlin
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't want to get any "person" who stays at home and takes care of the household pissed so please don't misinterpret what I am about to say. I do have a lot of respect for people that can do that.

However, someone has to make the money. I love my job, but it isn't a cake walk. If a stay at home person is worth that much, then I am worth three times that much because I have not only the roles of the stay at home person, the same responsibilities, but I also have a job.

I don't think you can put a price on a stay at home person. There is no way you can roll up all of those job descriptions and arrive at that amount. Anyone who has to manage people for a living would know that they normally don't get paid that much and that the only difference between taking care of the kids, cleaning a house, running the finances and a job in management is that the ages of the children are older and you can't send them to their room for a time out. Other then that, they are pretty much the same. You have to clean up after them, hold their hand, budget their department, determine their worth, etc.

Now you know why I got the hell out of that role and will NEVER go back into management. People in the work place ar nothing more then big kids with more needs.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Where do I make my contribution? If I check the cusions of the family couch, I'm sure I will come up with enough cash. :)

Seriously, homemakes make phenomenal contributions that are difficult to quantify in money.

This is why insurance agents want life insurance policies on the homemaker as well as the financial provider. If the homemaker dies, finanically replacing her(him) would be a huge financial cost.

I think life insurance gets way too much attention. Disability is far more likely, and is more financially devastating than death. I tried to insure my wife for disability a few years ago. No can do, because she didn't have a "job".

GrnBay007
05-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I admire those men or woman that are able to stay at home. It's obviously the best situation for the children. And I agree, it's not an easy job.

However, I would have paid to have been able to stay at home with my kids before they started school!

Would have been interesting if they would have put a price to be paid for stress.

packinpatland
05-06-2007, 01:14 PM

I think life insurance gets way too much attention. Disability is far more likely, and is more financially devastating than death. I tried to insure my wife for disability a few years ago. No can do, because she didn't have
a "job".

I was lucky enough to be 'self-emplyed', as well as a stay-at-home mom when my daughters were young.
I remember getting called for jury duty once, and while the others in the room received a 'stipend' for being there for the day, I didn't because I didn't have a 'real job'. At the time I was offended, when I came home my husband reminded me that a piece of my artwork went for more than most people in that jury pool made in a month.
But you know, it was the principle of the thing.

Jimx29
05-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Charge the kids $$$ for the service :lol:

Merlin
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM

You want my 20 year old?

LOL

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 07:04 PM

You want my 20 year old?

LOL

Isn't this illegal???

retailguy
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM

You want my 20 year old?

LOL

Isn't this illegal???

Not if she's 20, depending on what you want to do with her... :wink:

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Boy. this went south fast.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Just leave it to me, I've done that a lot lately! :P

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM

We can retitle the thread "Desperate Housewives" and move it to the Garbage Can.

GrnBay007
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM

We can retitle the thread "Desperate Housewives" and move it to the Garbage Can.

Ummm....no comment!! :P

Merlin
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Ummm, he's a guy and he doesn't pay rent or crap to live in my house and his 12 hour a week job just doesn't cut it!