PDA

View Full Version : From one extreme at GM to the other.

PackerBlues
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I was hanging out with some old friends this past weekend discussing the Packers and came to the conclusion that Ted Thompson is the exact opposite of Mike Sherman.

Sherman would reach for any free agent help he could get. The bigger the name, the more he went after the guy. The more we needed a position filled, the harder Sherman tried to fill it with a veteran player he thought could help the team win.
Its not that Thompson does not like free agents, he just doesnt like veteran free agents. He seems to prefer guys that he "discovers".

Sherman was very into the idea of cohesion and keeping the team together as well as he could. If his salary cap situation dictated that he free up some cap space, he would come right out and tell people "this is the situation that we are in, and this is what we can do".
Ted came here as a head hunter. Bound and determined to "fix things". He chopped as many large salaries as he could as quickly as he could, regardless of the talent, positional need, or free space already on our cap room.

Sherman took chances in the draft to pick up a player at a position we needed. Thompson could care less about what the Packers need in the draft. He only drafts "the best player available".

Sherman paid attention to team history, not just the history of Lambeau, but also the history of the Players he put on the field. Thompson hates anything that came B.T. (Before Ted) If you are not a player that Ted put on the team.....get ready for the Dagger in the back, because it doesnt matter what you have done for the Packers or who you are, you will be gone.

Shermans teams had winning records.......Thompsons teams have not.

The teams Sherman put on the field had you expecting wins. The teams Thompson put on the field make you lose your lunch.

Hind sight is 20-20 for everyone except the blind. Thompson has been here long enough to make comparisons. I am not saying either of these guys are the perfect GM. I think they are extreme opposites of one another, and we could actually use a GM somewhere in the middle.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Ted came here as a head hunter. Bound and determined to "fix things".

Well after all, isn't that what he was hired to do? Harlan didn't hire the guy just to follow in the great Mike Sherman's footsteps.

Cheesehead Craig
05-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I am not saying either of these guys are the perfect GM.
Your entire post states that you believe that Sherman was the perfect one and TT is completely useless.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Thompson could care less about what the Packers need in the draft. He only drafts "the best player available".

More silliness.

So Thompson never considers need - only BPA???

We desparately needed to upgrade the RB position. We drafted 2.

We desparately needed to upgrade the WR position. We drafted 2.

We desperately needed to upgrade the Safety position. We drafted 1.

We desperately needed to upgrade the TE position. We drafted 1.

So in a 7 round draft, we drafted 6 "need" guys. Though I'm sure need never played into these decisons. Sheesh.

Brando19
05-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Thompson could care less about what the Packers need in the draft. He only drafts "the best player available".

More silliness.

So Thompson never considers need - only BPA???

We desparately needed to upgrade the RB position. We drafted 2.

We desparately needed to upgrade the WR position. We drafted 2.

We desperately needed to upgrade the Safety position. We drafted 1.

We desperately needed to upgrade the TE position. We drafted 1.

So in a 7 round draft, we drafted 6 "need" guys. Though I'm sure need never played into these decisons. Sheesh.

The TE position actually wasn't addressed....I doubt the guy we drafted even makes the team.

ahaha
05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Thompson hates anything that came B.T. (Before Ted) If you are not a player that Ted put on the team.....get ready for the Dagger in the back, because it doesnt matter what you have done for the Packers or who you are, you will be gone.

Does your definition of 'stabbing in the back' include signing Sherman guys to new contracts? Did Wells, Franks, Harris, Driver, Jenkins, and Barnett get shafted?

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
The TE position actually wasn't addressed....I doubt the guy we drafted even makes the team.

BS

You might not like how it was addressed, but it was addressed. By your logic they ought to just cut him right now and get it over with. Have you forgotten about where Driver and Marques Colston were drafted?

esoxx
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't fault Ted for having HIS plan and following it. Time will be the only indicator of his plan's success/failure.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
He seems to prefer guys that he "discovers".

Charles Woodson got the biggest FA contract the Ted has handed out since he's been here. I wasn't aware that Ted "discovered" Charles.

I think you're making a ridiculous outlandish claim based upon one signing - Manual.

Brando19
05-06-2007, 01:10 PM

BS

You might not like how it was addressed, but it was addressed. By your logic they ought to just cut him right now and get it over with. Have you forgotten about where Driver and Marques Colston were drafted?

Need a tissue, Scottie? I'm just giving my opinion. I said I DOUBT he makes the team...that's my opinion. I just wanted to address the TE position in FA...but I agreed with everything else you posted. CHILL!

PackerBlues
05-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Gee Brando, didnt you know that you are not allowed to have a differing opinion here?

I was just pointing out that in my opinion Sherman and Thompson are exact opposites. One sits at one extreme, one sits at the other. Then I tried to back up my opinion by stating my point of view on certain things that I noticed.

I think I could have said that Sherman was fat and Thompson isnt and some TT hugger would have found some way to try to argue.

retailguy
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Gee Brando, didnt you know that you are not allowed to have a differing opinion here?

I was just pointing out that in my opinion Sherman and Thompson are exact opposites. One sits at one extreme, one sits at the other. Then I tried to back up my opinion by stating my point of view on certain things that I noticed.

I think I could have said that Sherman was fat and Thompson isnt and some TT hugger would have found some way to try to argue.

The Thompson lovers are just a little backed on their heels for a moment. I don't think any of them gave it a thought that it'll be a few more years before this is a "complete" team.

They thought the "magician" would give them 7 fully trained, fully functional rabbits on draft day, and instead they got 11 projects, just like last year.... and the year before.

We're on no timetable... We get what we get. Good news is we get great high draft choices, so rebuilding is a little easier, I guess.

woodbuck27
05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I believe that as a board we should relax now on TT. Let's all hope he will have success with his draft. We can argue the plus or negative side till the cows come in, every day bet. now and seasons end.

That. . . is a waste of effort.

I believe that this season is on TT given his neglect of the team on 'O'.He decided to add depth on the 'D' but certainly went with need picks in the draft for our 'O'. He may have reached on some picks based on others draft boards, but he used his board. On other picks others say he made value picks. He used his board for those picks as well.

Now !! Lets try to agree that it (our draft - balances out).

It's also obvious to all of us that:

No FA's and no trade to acquire help on 'O' when we finished 2007 as the 22nd ranked 'O', is questionable. I believe . . that TT must be held accountable for that.

It certainly appears or rather may be argued. That the loss of Ahman Green may spell more difficult times on 'O'. Experienced and talented RB's as Ahman certainly was as a Packer are difficult to replace.

Again. This season will be the tool we need to assess whether or not Ted Thompson failed our teams 'O' and thus the team overall. It's Ted Thompson's job to a large extent, to give the players to our coaching staff to mold into a competitive team.

Lets see how he made out as the season progress's; how we finish. How competitive we were looking back over the course of this upcoming season.

GO PACKERS !

Packnut
05-06-2007, 01:51 PM
It does seem that this forum has come down to the "Thompson debate" being the main topic of discussion. The way I see it, good or bad, this is the hand we've been dealt and now it's time to hope for the best. I hope this turns out to be an outstanding draft and Teddy gets crowned the NFL's draft guru.

I have vowed not to type another Thompson negative from now until training camp starts. It serves no purpose and to be honest, only time will tell who among us actually knows what the hell they are talking about......

Lurker64
05-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I believe that as a board we should relax now on TT. Let's all hope he will have success with his draft. We can argue the plus or negative side till the cows come in, every day bet. now and seasons end.

I agree wholeheartedly. We should really spend more time talking about the players than the GM. The die is cast on the GM, and right now we should really be getting excited for the season. I mean, rookie camp is going on right now. Regular minicamp starts soon. It's an exciting time to be a football fan! Let's stop kvetching about people who don't actually play the game.

woodbuck27
05-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. We should really spend more time talking about the players than the GM. The die is cast on the GM, and right now we should really be getting excited for the season. I mean, rookie camp is going on right now. Regular minicamp starts soon. It's an exciting time to be a football fan! Let's stop kvetching about people who don't actually play the game.

Yup.

This off season has been (I'll say. . difficult for me) maybe just that on alot of us, who show up here almost daily and have hoped for more.

It's time to call on 8-)

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Obviously, everyone is allowed to have an opinion here. And Mad allowing you to post this goofy crap is proof of exactly that. And we are allowed to agree, or disagree, and also post. This ain't practice, and you don't get to wear the red jersey. Brando is even free to offer me a tissue if he's comfortable enough with his own masculinity to do so.

Part of the entertainment value of most forums include participants arguing the merits of their thoughts. This is how it's supposed to work. If you just want to post your stuff without comment, maybe you'd be happier with a blog.

4and12to12and4
05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I was hanging out with some old friends this past weekend discussing the Packers and came to the conclusion that Ted Thompson is the exact opposite of Mike Sherman.

Sherman would reach for any free agent help he could get. The bigger the name, the more he went after the guy. The more we needed a position filled, the harder Sherman tried to fill it with a veteran player he thought could help the team win.
Its not that Thompson does not like free agents, he just doesnt like veteran free agents. He seems to prefer guys that he "discovers".

Remember Woodson? He makes a lot of money. And, he tried getting a certain LB last year, that wanted to stay in his own division. It was rumored we actually offered more for him.

Sherman was very into the idea of cohesion and keeping the team together as well as he could. If his salary cap situation dictated that he free up some cap space, he would come right out and tell people "this is the situation that we are in, and this is what we can do".
Ted came here as a head hunter. Bound and determined to "fix things". He chopped as many large salaries as he could as quickly as he could, regardless of the talent, positional need, or free space already on our cap room.

That is ridiculous. Bubba has sucked since TT has gotten here, so has Fergy, etc.. He could have easily discharged those salaries if this was his evil plan.

Sherman took chances in the draft to pick up a player at a position we needed. Thompson could care less about what the Packers need in the draft. He only drafts "the best player available".

So, was TT suppose to pick up a running back or receiver in the first round even though there was no one worth a 16th pick left? Apparantly you're only talking about the 1st round, because after that, we did get players i areas of need. You must have turned your TV off after the first few hours of the first day.

Sherman paid attention to team history, not just the history of Lambeau, but also the history of the Players he put on the field. Thompson hates anything that came B.T. (Before Ted) If you are not a player that Ted put on the team.....get ready for the Dagger in the back, because it doesnt matter what you have done for the Packers or who you are, you will be gone.

Oh, yeah, that's why Brett's still playing in Green and Gold. The evil TT must be too scared to get rid of him, even though he was here first. (there are many others still on the team pre-tt in previous posts, I don't need to address them all again.

Sherman had Brett Favre, one of the greatest QB's of all time, and Reggie White, THE greatest QB killer of all time when we went to the SB. TT built the Seahawks SB team with Brett's backup. Enough said.

The teams Sherman put on the field had you expecting wins. The teams Thompson put on the field make you lose your lunch.

Well, then, the Texans fans we're pretty disappointed last year, if that is what they "expected".

Hind sight is 20-20 for everyone except the blind. Thompson has been here long enough to make comparisons. I am not saying either of these guys are the perfect GM. I think they are extreme opposites of one another, and we could actually use a GM somewhere in the middle.

So, do you think that TT should have paid the outragious salary that Sherman was OK with for Ahman Green this offseason? Should Sherman have passed up Reggie Bush, one of the most dynamic RB's in the league for a defensive lineman? Most of what you say in this post is simply not true. You assume that TT cares more about his own ego than winning. That makes no sense. He knows that if he doesn't win, he fails. If he fails, he will be fired, and if he's fired for failing, why would anyone else want him. So, to believe what you are saying, is to believe that TT is a bigger egomaniac than TO. It makes no sense. TT is doing what he thinks is best for the team now and in the future. Period. If you disagree with his decisions, that's fine, then say that he sucks as a talent scout and a GM. But I'm sick of these conspiracy theories that TT wants only HIS guys and only HIDDEN GEMS to PROVE that he is better than everyone. It's both ridiculous and redundant. Spare me.

RashanGary
05-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Tank?

CaliforniaCheez
05-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Every month this comparison comes up and a lott of hot air is blown on both sides.

The Packers have been 12-20 under Ted Thompson. Initially I vehemently disagreed with the "cleaning house" approach. It was excessive.

However, I have liked the last 2 offseasons and you can see the Packers are headed for great things in 2008 with Brett.

So threads like this will continue to appear as it is 2007.

retailguy
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM

Well, then, the Texans fans we're pretty disappointed last year, if that is what they "expected".

I always look to my Offensive Line/ Assistant Head Coach for the "predictor" of victories... :roll: which is the position he held the last time ANYONE could anticipate wins.

He now controls the OFFENSE. He doesn't control the team... He doesn't draft the players.... He doesn't forecast wins.... He probably doesn't have final say on anything...

Shermans teams DID win in GB. Give it a rest, OK? We know you hated him, he's gone... Really. He's gone.

The new sheriff is in town. He's 12-20, and on the brink of greatness, depending on which brand of "reality" you choose.

We shall see.

Brando19
05-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Obviously, everyone is allowed to have an opinion here. And Mad allowing you to post this goofy crap is proof of exactly that. And we are allowed to agree, or disagree, and also post. This ain't practice, and you don't get to wear the red jersey. Brando is even free to offer me a tissue if he's comfortable enough with his own masculinity to do so.

Part of the entertainment value of most forums include participants arguing the merits of their thoughts. This is how it's supposed to work. If you just want to post your stuff without comment, maybe you'd be happier with a blog.

No Scotty honey...I'm sick and tired of posting on this forum to have YOU post some smart ass comment. It would be different if you just disagreed and said...this is why....instead you have to say, "Oh how silly," or "Bull Shit". I really like this forum...but your smart ass is making me not post as much because I get pissed off over all the degrading comments from you. How about the next time you argue someone's OPINION....because my gosh you're no expert...how about you do it in a way that doesn't make the other poster feel bad. Mkay?!?!?!

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Didn't mean to make you feel bad. Want your tissue back?

retailguy
05-06-2007, 04:03 PM

No Scotty honey...I'm sick and tired of posting on this forum to have YOU post some smart ass comment. It would be different if you just disagreed and said...this is why....instead you have to say, "Oh how silly," or "Bull Shit". I really like this forum...but your smart ass is making me not post as much because I get pissed off over all the degrading comments from you. How about the next time you argue someone's OPINION....because my gosh you're no expert...how about you do it in a way that doesn't make the other poster feel bad. Mkay?!?!?!

Oh. Lord. Now we'll have to endure two or three days of "shermtard" comments and silly pictures...

thanks a lot Brando! :P :wink:

Brando19
05-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Didn't mean to make you feel bad. Want your tissue back?

Nah...you can use it to stuff your pants. :D

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 04:06 PM
RG,

You mean this picture? :P

http://tarapfeifer.com/albums/stuff/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpeg

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
You mean this pisture? :P

Beat me to it!

Brando19
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
RG,

You mean this picture? :P

:lol:

GrnBay007
05-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I wonder if Mike Sherman realizes/appreciates how much attention he still gets from the Packer Nation?

Brando19
05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I wonder if Mike Sherman realizes/appreciates how much attention he still gets from the Packer Nation?

I bet he misses the hell out of Green Bay and I bet he wishes TT the worst.

GrnBay007
05-06-2007, 04:16 PM

I bet he misses the hell out of Green Bay and I bet he wishes TT the worst.

...maybe like the g/f or b/f that left you.....maybe time to move on? ? ? :idea: :P

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 04:18 PM
I think we're long past time to move on. How long has it been since M2 was GM?

Scott Campbell
05-06-2007, 04:22 PM
How long has it been since M2 was GM?

Not nearly long enough.

:P

prsnfoto
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Your entire post states that you believe that Sherman was the perfect one and TT is completely useless.

No he didn't he pointed out his flaws reaching in the draft and signing guys like Johnson that were a mistake, and overpaying his own FA's, again TT tunnel vision you only read what you wanted to read.

4and12to12and4
05-06-2007, 06:11 PM

I always look to my Offensive Line/ Assistant Head Coach for the "predictor" of victories... :roll: which is the position he held the last time ANYONE could anticipate wins.

He now controls the OFFENSE. He doesn't control the team... He doesn't draft the players.... He doesn't forecast wins.... He probably doesn't have final say on anything...

Shermans teams DID win in GB. Give it a rest, OK? We know you hated him, he's gone... Really. He's gone.
The new sheriff is in town. He's 12-20, and on the brink of greatness, depending on which brand of "reality" you choose.

We shall see.

Don't attack me as if I hated Sherman. I liked Sherman and was shocked when he was fired. You took one statement I made rebutting a ridiculous comparison that was made about how bad TT is, so I was simply defending TT. I'm not a Sherman hater, and never was. I was sad to see him go. So, before you label me, get your facts straight.

I broke down the entire post that bashed TT just to show that it was a ridiculous, biased post. That's all. I wish Sherman all the luck, and hope he succeeds. I'm not one of those here who thinks he singlehandedly destroyed the franchise. He obviously had a good stretch with us. But, the poster said that Sherman's teams EXPECT to win, so I reminded him of the Texans season last year. nuff said.

prsnfoto
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM

You lost all respect with these two boneheaded comments, news flash Sherman was not the coach when Reggie played and your lover has the same QB Shermy had. Second he was the Oline coach for Texas you can blame him for Carr not knowing what state he is in but the franchises losing record is a far stretch. I am by no means a Sherman lover, but he tried to win now, not in the next decade, it can be argued he failed, I think he did but he put a better product on the field than TT, even though it was headed for a train wreck. TT has proven he can draft better and manage a cap better that is all, it remains to be seen if he can produce a winner, the odds are against him since one of your above mentioned Sherman saviors is leaving soon. I actually believe like the original poster who has been attacked like I have been the answer lies in between.

Cheesehead Craig
05-06-2007, 07:32 PM

No he didn't he pointed out his flaws reaching in the draft and signing guys like Johnson that were a mistake, and overpaying his own FA's, again TT tunnel vision you only read what you wanted to read.
#1 - I don't have TT tunnel vision. I have never said he is a great GM, please point out where I have; otherwise, quit categorizing me as a TT apologist. I am not, nor will I be. I shall praise him for his good moves and criticize his poor ones.

#2 - His post made absolutely no reference to any flaws of Sherman. None. He never once mentioned Johnson, nor did he ever comment on reaches in the draft. You did in your response. His post was a complete bashing of TT and praising of Sherman and not acknowledging Sherman's flaws nor TT's successes. Then in the end, he says that neither is the perfect GM. The title and the conclusion of his argument are in complete disagreement with the body of his article. I simply pointed this out.

He had a good idea here and had he put more objectivity into what he was writing, it would have been a very good article. Instead, he just went for the flame angle to rile people up.

I read what was there, you added other facts which were not in the post to come up with your opinion of the article. Then you used those additional facts to generalize my feelings on TT. I went after the article, you went after me personally. Take your labeling of me and shove it.

PackerBlues
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
#2 - His post made absolutely no reference to any flaws of Sherman. None. He never once mentioned Johnson, nor did he ever comment on reaches in the draft. You did in your response. His post was a complete bashing of TT and praising of Sherman and not acknowledging Sherman's flaws nor TT's successes. Then in the end, he says that neither is the perfect GM. The title and the conclusion of his argument are in complete disagreement with the body of his article. I simply pointed this out.

I read what was there, you added other facts which were not in the post to come up with your opinion of the article. Then you used those additional facts to generalize my feelings on TT. I went after the article, you went after me personally. Take your labeling of me and shove it.

No, I think this is just one more case of someone looking for an argument. You could have just as easily looked for other ways that Sherman and Teddy were different. instead you looked at my post as a personal attack on yourself........through your beloved TT.

Sherman would reach for any free agent help he could get. The bigger the name, the more he went after the guy.

Sherman took chances in the draft to pick up a player at a position we needed.

I dont think Shermans record on free agent pick ups was all that great.

And plenty of you guys that hang off TT's nuts are quick to point out that drafting a player for need is the wrong way to draft. So wouldnt the "above mentioned point" be an example of one of Shermans "flaws"?

I also stated that I didnt think that either GM was perfect, and that in my opinion, we could use someone with values somewhere in the middle. You went straight into attack mode anyway as if I had attacked you personally.

The title of the thread was "from one extreme at GM to the other" NOT "Sherman was a better GM than TT". Try pulling your head out of Thompsons ass before you go into attack mode.

prsnfoto
05-06-2007, 10:47 PM

#1 - I don't have TT tunnel vision. I have never said he is a great GM, please point out where I have; otherwise, quit categorizing me as a TT apologist. I am not, nor will I be. I shall praise him for his good moves and criticize his poor ones.

He had a good idea here and had he put more objectivity into what he was writing, it would have been a very good article. Instead, he just went for the flame angle to rile people up.

THIS WOULD BE THE REFERENCE TO PLAYERS LIKE JOHNSON>

THIS IS SOMEWHAT HARSH, WOOSEN and Pickett were legit.

THIS REFERS TO OVERPAYING FOR HIS OWN GUYS.

THIS REFERS TO WAHLE, RIVERA, SHARPER, true however it should be noted TT has structured good deals with Kampman,Driver,Harris,Wells,Jenkins and Barnett so he is not against resigning talent in fact almost all that talent belongs to Sherman's era.

TAKING NEEDS IS REACHING IN THE DRAFT I AGREE WITH TT HERE. Though i would think if player A is real close to player B and B is a need I would take him.

THIS PART IS RUBBISH.

NO DISPUTING THIS.

I APOLIGIZE FOR LABELING YOU A TT LOVER, i just found the majority of this post accurate.

Fritz
05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
The Packers started going to hell when Vince Lombardi was given more control over the draft in the mid-60's. I blame him.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 08:21 AM
This thread blows.

Cheesehead Craig
05-07-2007, 08:42 AM

No, I think this is just one more case of someone looking for an argument. You could have just as easily looked for other ways that Sherman and Teddy were different. instead you looked at my post as a personal attack on yourself........through your beloved TT.

Sherman would reach for any free agent help he could get. The bigger the name, the more he went after the guy.

Sherman took chances in the draft to pick up a player at a position we needed.

I dont think Shermans record on free agent pick ups was all that great.

And plenty of you guys that hang off TT's nuts are quick to point out that drafting a player for need is the wrong way to draft. So wouldnt the "above mentioned point" be an example of one of Shermans "flaws"?

I also stated that I didnt think that either GM was perfect, and that in my opinion, we could use someone with values somewhere in the middle. You went straight into attack mode anyway as if I had attacked you personally.

The title of the thread was "from one extreme at GM to the other" NOT "Sherman was a better GM than TT". Try pulling your head out of Thompsons ass before you go into attack mode.
I know you hate TT and that's fine. I personally don't care if you like the guy or not.

As I said, the title of the post had a good idea behind it and your final summation fit that, but the body and the work did not. It was too slanted towards Sherman's positives and Thompson's negatives. It needed more flushing out and I would have labeled it a very good post and congratulated you. Simply because you said "neither GM is perfect" does not erase the rest of the post.

Like I said, I'm not a TT lover, nor do I have my head up his butt. I simply pointed out the flaws in your post. I should have handled the critiquing better and I apologize for that. Let's keep it civil between us. I like you posting here.

Cheesehead Craig
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I APOLIGIZE FOR LABELING YOU A TT LOVER, i just found the majority of this post accurate.
No problem. No harm, no foul. Let's move on on how the Bears suck then shall we? :glug:

MJZiggy
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
No problem. No harm, no foul. Let's move on on how the Bears suck then shall we? :glug:

Well last year that could be summed up in one word: Grossman, but this year there may be more to talk about there...

4and12to12and4
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
This thread blows.

This is the most accurate statement made in the entire thread.

It is impossible for us sitting here at home to judge either Sherman or TT. So much of running a team involves players executing, and luck.

Look at the Chicago Cubs. They hire Dusty Baker, and because the starting pitching stayed healthy his first year, and they had timely hitting most of the year, he came within 5 outs of bringing them back to the World Series. Then, players (especially ace pitchers) continually were injured, and Sammy got scared after getting beamed, and sucked, and three years later, he went from god to demon. Now, Pinella comes in with Soriano, Theriot, floyd, etc. and not relying on Wood and Pryor, and they start out like shit, and are finally putting it together.

Same with Lovie Smith. He is considered as one of the best coaches in football, but he came in with a great team already built for him. So, what has he done to prove that he is the difference maker. Nothing. So much is timing, luck, and players execution and health. Half our team was injured the year Shermy lost his job. Was that his fault? None of us can REALLY know how good these coaches really are. Look at Parcells, and Holmgren, and cowher. Most teams would have fired Cowher 8 years ago, but he finally got a SB ring. Does that mean he's a great coach? What about the other decade that he didn't get them there.

I just think TT bashing is useless, and it is hard to win a Superbowl regardless of what talent you have.

Look at the Yankees, George has done everything he can to put superstars in every position, so they can get a World Series ring. They're not even playing 500 ball this year. Some would argue that it's because he goes after hitting and not pitching, but the talent on that team should be able to win consistently.

No matter what owners, GM's and coaches do, it doesn't mean shit if players don't perform, and connect with one another. So, I'm done talking about TT. I hope he can get us back to the Promised Land, but if he doesn't it's not necessarily his fault. Shit happens. The Chargers were the best team in the NFL last year, PERIOD, but, they simply had a couple of plays not go their way in their playoff loss, and they went home. Is it the coaches fault? Is it Avery's fault that the Mavericks are watching the NBA playoffs at home after a stellar season? NO. They ran into a hot team that put it all together at the right time. It's what makes sports so entertaining, everyone has a shot to win it all, and you can't bitch and complain about the coaching staff and brass every year your club doesn't bring home a trophy. The level of talent in Pro sports is so even, it's pretty much a crapshoot. Hell, teams like Dallas and Seattle came one or two plays short of winning in the playoffs. The Pack could have easily made the playoffs last year. Shit, we almost beat, and should have beat, the Saints during the season if not for a fumble and a couple of other plays during the game. I see no reason why we shouldn't be a better team this year, yet, with our schedule, we could still end up under 500, but that won't mean that we aren't improved, we simply have some real tough teams to beat this coming year. Ok, my rant is over.