PDA

View Full Version : WHICH 2007 PACKER ROOKIE WILL MAKE GREATEST IMPACT?

TopHat
05-06-2007, 12:27 PM
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

WHICH PACKER ROOKIE WILL BE THE IMMEDIATE GREATEST IMPACT PLAYER?

Later, I will provide contrasting comparison polls.

BallHawk
05-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Brandon Jackson. He's in a position where rookies are known to make a first-year impact and I think he will do that.

I'm a homer, book him up for 1,000 yards.

woodbuck27
05-06-2007, 02:00 PM
My vote goes to PKer Mason Crosby.

There will be alot of pressure on Ted Thompson to ensure this young fella gets the kicking assignment. The early publicity on his value as a pick is in our faces.

The knock on him is his accuracy but that he has a strong leg. Much the same as our present kicker.

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Justin Harrell will make it extremely tough for teams to run inside. Forcing things outside plays in to the Packer's hands because of the speed of the linebackers. He may not credit for it though as his influence may not be reflected on the stat sheet.

Bretsky
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I vote Jackson; he better be at least. Our DL was pretty good w/o Harrell so I'm not sure he'll be dominant this year.

If Jackson doesn't play better than the Whisper Goodman's we have on this roster we'll be in a lot of trouble.

Rastak
05-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Good poll....I voted Jackson.

TopHat
05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Good poll....I voted Jackson.

Thanks.

TopHat
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I vote Jackson; he better be at least. Our DL was pretty good w/o Harrell so I'm not sure he'll be dominant this year.

If Jackson doesn't play better than the Whisper Goodman's we have on this roster we'll be in a lot of trouble.

Bretsky, good to see you!

TopHat
05-07-2007, 06:38 AM
8-)

Iron Mike
05-07-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm calling it right now. OLB Rory Johnson will start in front of Poppinga. 8-)

wist43
05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Jackson...

Harrell upgrades DT, but DT was pretty solid to begin with, so his impact will be reduced... it's not like TT filled a hole with Harrell.

Jackson has to beat out Morency for his pick to be justified... Jackson has to prove he can get the tough yds. If he ends up being a clone of Mornecy, then he's a wasted pick.

Jones and Clowney in the return game. Don't expect much from Jones from scrimmage. Clowney, hopefully, will develop and eventually provide a deep threat from scrimmage. Jones is just too pedestrian to provide much help from scrimmage.

Rouse... if he can win the starting SS job. I think the job is Underwoods to lose though.

MadtownPacker
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Underwoods job to lose?????

Now who is drinking the Koolaid?

Jackson is the easy choice because unless he is injured when the season starts, he will get the ball in his hands.

wist43
05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
No Kool-Aid... just see him as the leading candidate.

Although, he apparently hasn't even begun workouts, so maybe his recovery is going slower than expected.

Underwood had the starting job locked up last preseason... if he picks up where he left off, it's his to lose.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Jackson has to beat out Morency for his pick to be justified... Jackson has to prove he can get the tough yds. If he ends up being a clone of Mornecy, then he's a wasted pick.

Even this isn't an absolute. What if Morency proves your wong and becomes a good back? If Morency plays well and Jackson fills a complementary role, so be it.

MasonCrosby
05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
i say harrell

retailguy
05-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Even this isn't an absolute. What if Morency proves your wong and becomes a good back? If Morency plays well and Jackson fills a complementary role, so be it.

what if neither one pans out? I hope Jackson is the answer, because I don't believe Morency is the answer.

Morency is no Ahman Green. Hell, I'm not sure Morency is even Kevan Barlow... He did not run well when the line did not play well. He didn't fight for yardage, and he didn't seem to have the ability to make the second tier of the defense miss.

I'm really wondering today what I'm missing. I did not see the guy you saw. what games can you point to, besided Arizona and the other where he rushed for 70 something yards where he looked good?

Packnut
05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
This one is TO EASY. Jackson will have the most chances and therefore make the biggest impact. DT's who are not known for sacks like our guy may play well stopping the run, but won't be noticed much. Rookie WR's 99.9% of the time struggle to learn the system.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
what if neither one pans out? I hope Jackson is the answer, because I don't believe Morency is the answer.

Are you just being a contrarian? My point wasn't to say Jackson will be mint or Morency will be mint. It was a response to wist saying that Jackson HAS to beat out Morency this year for the pick to be justified. Any scenario could happen. Both could be good, both could be bad, or one could be good and the other one bad. But to say something in absolute terms like that is going overboard. I wonder how many 2nd round picks started last year?

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 01:15 PM
No Kool-Aid... just see him as the leading candidate.

Although, he apparently hasn't even begun workouts, so maybe his recovery is going slower than expected.

Underwood had the starting job locked up last preseason... if he picks up where he left off, it's his to lose.

I feel that Marviel Underwood has the inside edge at S as well.

Wondering what TT will do with Marquand Manuel? Where will he see the most value?

With his draft pick or his FA acquisition fr. his former employer?

I don't want to see any more agendas or politics on our team. We are up against enough just given our schedule.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Are you just being a contrarian? My point wasn't to say Jackson will be mint or Morency will be mint. It was a response to wist saying that Jackson HAS to beat out Morency this year for the pick to be justified. Any scenario could happen. Both could be good, both could be bad, or one could be good and the other one bad. But to say something in absolute terms like that is going overboard. I wonder how many 2nd round picks started last year?

Well, Harvey I guess I am. But you made the point I've been making since free agency started with Ahman Green. Our best chance for an effective running game left with him to Houston. I don't know how many second round picks started last year. Certainly not many. Do I expect him to start? By midseason, YES. Hopefully sooner. Unless he's the second coming of Christ, we're in deep trouble with the RB position.

I hope he's the second coming of Christ, or darn close to it. But, today, I'm not taking that bet in Vegas or anywhere else. Maybe I'll have to switch to a Brandon Jackson avatar by the end of the season. Wouldn't that be wonderful? :shock: :D

Joemailman
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
6 rookie RB's made a significant impact in 2006:

Reggie Bush (2nd pick) 1300 Total yards 8 TD
Laurence Maroney (21st pick) 940 Total yards 7 TD
DeAngelo Williams (27th Pick) 800 Total Yards 2 TD
Joseph Addai (30th pick) 1400 Total Yards 8 TD
Maurice Jones Drew (60th pick) 1400 Total Yards 15TD
Leon Washington (117th pick) 920 Total Yards 4 TD

oregonpackfan
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
6 rookie RB's made a significant impact in 2006:

Reggie Bush (2nd pick) 1300 Total yards 8 TD
Laurence Maroney (21st pick) 940 Total yards 7 TD
DeAngelo Williams (27th Pick) 800 Total Yards 2 TD
Joseph Addai (30th pick) 1400 Total Yards 8 TD
Maurice Jones Drew (60th pick) 1400 Total Yards 15TD
Leon Washington (117th pick) 920 Total Yards 4 TD

Good point, Joemailman!

4and12to12and4
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Look for Rouse to impress in preseason and win a starting spot. He is a tough cookie, and hits HARD. I think he has the intelligence to pick up the system quickly and if our pass rush does it's job and Harris and Woodson haven't lost a step and shadow their opponents, I look for Rouse to make a big impact on defense this year.

My second choice is Harrell. If healthy, he will stuff the run and get penetration up the middle, especially if we don't use KGB on 1st and 2nd down. But Rouse has a better chance of getting more playing time in a rotation scheme, than Harrell, because I am unimpressed with our young DB's.

On a side note regarding our DB's, I don't know if you all realize how very good Manuel is against the run. He was an unsung hero last year making many plays near the line of scrimmage and is a hard hitter. I think that's why he struggled in coverage through most of last years campaign, because the loves to run up and jack up RB's. So, I look for him to really break out this year and make some big plays.

esoxx
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
On a side note regarding our DB's, I don't know if you all realize how very good Manuel is against the run. He was an unsung hero last year making many plays near the line of scrimmage and is a hard hitter. I think that's why he struggled in coverage through most of last years campaign, because the loves to run up and jack up RB's. So, I look for him to really break out this year and make some big plays.

He is a decent box player. However, the reasons he struggled in coverage last year are the same reasons he will this year. He's not athletic enough, lacks acceleration (read: when a player gets by him in coverage he's not catching back up) and has questionable ball skills. I wouldn't mind him making the team in a reserve role but I don't want him starting this year. No way. No how.

Ballboy
05-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I voted Rouse as well. I'm not saying he will win the starting safety job at first, but by mid-season I expect to see alot of him on defense.

Where I think he will make the biggest impact is on special teams - especially punt coverage as a gunner. His size and his speed will enable him to get down quickly and lay some lumber - his special teams play will earn him more playing time on the defense!!

TopHat
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
8-)

packinpatland
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't mean to trivialize this, but because the RB position is the one that was left the most vacant, wouldn't that be an automatic 'most impact' position?
At least that's how I see it, but then again......... :roll:

TopHat
05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
8-) 8-)

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 10:48 PM
RB Brandon Jackson - because we needed a RB.

TopHat
05-09-2007, 10:22 PM
1. ANOTHER SITE'S SMALL POLL: WHICH 2007 PACKER ROOKIE WILL MAKE GREATEST IMPACT?

RB BRANDON JACKSON 45%
K MASON CROSBY 19%
SS AARON ROUSE 16%
DT JUSTIN HARRELL 6%
WR DAVID CLOWNEY 6%
WR JAMES JONES 3%
OL ALLEN BARBRE 3%

2. LARGE PACKER NATION SITE'S POLL: WHICH ROOKIE WILL MAKE THE BIGGEST IMPACT....?

RB Brandon Jackson (44.0%)
DT Justin Harrell (20.4%)
S Aaron Rouse (9.7%)
K Mason Crosby (9.1%)
WR David Clowney (7.9%)
WR James Jones (5.3%)
Other (3.6%)

3. A SITE'S SMALL POLL: WHICH OFFENSIVE ROOKIE WILL MAKE THE BIGGEST IMPACT?

Brandon Jackson: (46%)
David Clowney: (25%)
James Jones: (11%)
DeShawn Wynn: (7%)
Clark Harris: (6%)
Allen Barbre: (3%)
Korey Hall: (3%)

TOP HAT'S COMMENTARY: GENERALLY FANS ARE VERY HIGH ON JACKSON, HARRELL, CROSBY, ROUSE, & CLOWNEY WITH HOPES FOR ALL.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I have alot of hope in Brandom Jackson NOW. :)

Mason Crosby has a great chance to start as well.

(signed)

The sole member of 'the Realism Realist Club'.

woodbuck27

TopHat
05-10-2007, 05:33 AM
http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/10170560

5. Brandon Jackson, RB, Green Bay: A favorite of NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt, Jackson is a bit raw but possesses the speed to break long runs and decent skills as a receiver out of the backfield. While injuries are a concern (he has had two shoulder surgeries in two years), Jackson will compete with Vernand Morency for carries and could see a large portion of the workload.

20. Mason Crosby, K, Green Bay: Dave Rayner did show flashes of potential last season, but Crosby has incredible leg strength and is considered the favorite to start for the Packers in 2007.