PDA

View Full Version : ROSTER PREDICTIONS... BATTLE spots...

packers11
05-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Who do you predict to win the BATTLES at these positions :
These will be named the "starters" at week 1...

SS :
SLB :
WR #3 :
HB #1 :
CB #3 :
K:

Ill go first...

SS : Even though I'd love to see Rouse, I think he will be a bencher/special teamer for next year... I'm going to go with Underwood if he is healthy... prediction : Underwood

SLB : I don't think there is any strong competition for Poppinga , maybe they can try to transfer Hodge over to SLB, but I dont see any draft pick taking his spot... prediction : Poppinga

WR #3: This one is the biggest toss-up in my opinion... The two draft picks could fill this spot, also Holiday showed a lot of potential in the last game...
Prediction : James Jones

HB #1 : Its obvious its going to be a battle between Morency and Jackson... I think if Jackson can stay healthy and show he can be the #1 he will fill that role... I just dont see him being named the #1 for game 1 though...
Prediction : Morency

CB #3: After the "key addition" Frank Walker :lol: .... He will be battling with Dendy and Blackmon for the #3 spot... I predict he will be the starting nickel back for week 1... But this also can be a toss-up spot, especially if blackmon shows a lot of potential...
Prediction : Frank Walker

K : Crosby is a top prospect and a kicker, and Rayner showed a lot of potential last season... Rayner has shown he has a big leg, but had trouble kicking in bad weather... ANOTHER BIG TOSSUP...
Prediction : Crosby

I'm not going to put DT in there because obviously Harrell will be starting week 1, but they can use DT's in a lot of different ways (some for pass, some for run ... ex : grady jackson)....

Whats your thoughts on these BATTLE spots???

RashanGary
05-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Cool thread....

SS :
SLB :
WR #3 :
HB #1 :
CB #3 :
K:

SS: Manuel - I don't know that he was responsible for all of those errors. It seems possible that Woodson could have been in error from time to time and although it did happen a lot, Manuel wasn't even a part of a decent percentage of them to my recall. Collins blew a couple too like the Detroit Lions bomb to Roy Williams.

SLB: Poppinga - He was very tough against the run all year long and got better against the pass as the year went on. It was his first year at LB so he stands a good chance to improve.

#3 WR: Jones - This kid has gotten a lot of positive hype since being drafted. He seems like he has all of the tools and the work ethic

RB: Morency - McCarthy said, at the 12:00 mark of his press conference at Packers.com, that Morency has transormed his body. He was pretty good last year. I think he stands a chance to be a lot better.

#3 CB: Dendy - Not good but he seemed to have a good feel for the position even if he lacks top notch ability

K: Crosby - Very tough to call here. I'm just going to guess Crosby because he made so many long FG's in college.

Brandon494
05-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I pretty much agree with what you said but I wouldn't be surprised to see manuel back there at SS. I'm not a fan of him at all but the defense did start to play better during the last 4 games of the season.

BF4MVP
05-06-2007, 02:59 PM
SS : Rouse
SLB : Popp
WR #3 : Clowney
HB #1 : Jackson
CB #3 : Blackmon
K: Crosby

woodbuck27
05-06-2007, 03:19 PM
SS : UNDERWOOD . . . This young man was showing us early last season that he had the moxy to be significant for us and bang. . .down for the season in a pre-season game.If he's fully recovered I look for him to pick it up where he left off last year. I really don't like the way M. Manuel moves.

SLB : POPPINGA believes that he's the man. He gives 100% to prove that.

WR #3 : MARTIN. . . Ruvell Martin: He earned respect and a chance for more in 2007. Martin, at 6-foot-4, has perfect size for the West Coast offense. He played in 13 games in 2006, caught 21 passes for 358 yards and a 17-yard average. He left a lasting impression in Green Bay's season finale, a 26-7 victory over the Bears in Chicago. On New Year's Eve at Soldier Field Martin caught seven passes for 118 yards. He will be difficult to cut.

HB #1 : MORENCY. . . just because he was here first and if healthy will be our starter Vs the Eagles.

CB #3 : BLACKMON . . .He has to stay healthy but this young man has a ton of talent.

K: CROSBY . . .He will be TT's hope as our kicker and the pressure for him to stick will be not insignificant. Bye bye Dave Raynar.

BallHawk
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
On the topic of LB, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rory Johnson. If the kid can get it together, he's got all the tools to start in the NFL.

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
SS: Underwood: If he's healthy. He was our best safety in camp last year.

SLB: Poppinga: He improved last year as the season progressed.

WR#3: Ruvell Martin: He was our 2nd best WR in December last year.

RB: Morency at first, but Jackson will increase carries as season goes on.

CB#3: Walker: His ability to play Bump and run will enable Woodson to play in the slot in nickel situations.

K: Rayner: Just a hunch

Brando19
05-06-2007, 04:01 PM
These will be named the "starters" at week 1...

SS :
SLB :
WR #3 :
HB #1 :
CB #3 :
K:

Ill go first...

SS : Even though I'd love to see Rouse, I think he will be a bencher/special teamer for next year... I'm going to go with Underwood if he is healthy... prediction : Underwood

SLB : I don't think there is any strong competition for Poppinga , maybe they can try to transfer Hodge over to SLB, but I dont see any draft pick taking his spot... prediction : Poppinga

WR #3: This one is the biggest toss-up in my opinion... The two draft picks could fill this spot, also Holiday showed a lot of potential in the last game...
Prediction : James Jones

HB #1 : Its obvious its going to be a battle between Morency and Jackson... I think if Jackson can stay healthy and show he can be the #1 he will fill that role... I just dont see him being named the #1 for game 1 though...

CB #3: After the "key addition" Frank Walker :lol: .... He will be battling with Dendy and Blackmon for the #3 spot... I predict he will be the starting nickel back for week 1... But this also can be a toss-up spot, especially if blackmon shows a lot of potential...
Prediction : Frank Walker

K : Crosby is a top prospect and a kicker, and Rayner showed a lot of potential last season... Rayner has shown he has a big leg, but had trouble kicking in bad weather... ANOTHER BIG TOSSUP...
Prediction : Crosby

I'm not going to put DT in there because obviously Harrell will be starting week 1, but they can use DT's in a lot of different ways (some for pass, some for run ... ex : grady jackson)....

Whats your thoughts on these BATTLE spots???

I love your predictions. I agree with everything except two spots. I believe Holiday will be the #3 WR (unless Keyshawn's on the team) and I believe Rayner will be the kicker. Good post, by the way.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
SS: Underwood
SLB: Poppinga
WR #3: Jones
HB #1: Morency (they'll split, but Morency will be given the first snap)
CB #3: Blackmon
K: Rayner

Rastak
05-06-2007, 06:09 PM
HB #1: Morency (they'll split, but Morency will be given the first snap)
K: Rayner

Yea, I thought Raynor did pretty well last year. I would GUESS he gets the job this year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 06:16 PM
It's probably 50-50, but I won't bet on a rookie. Not after Sander and Conway.

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I wonder what TT will do if Rayner is better on field goals, but Crosby is booming kickoffs through the end zone. Will he keep them both?

Guiness
05-06-2007, 06:21 PM
What about #2 TE? And I wouldn't even bet the #1 TE job is sewn up...

Brandon494
05-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I wonder what TT will do if Rayner is better on field goals, but Crosby is booming kickoffs through the end zone. Will he keep them both?

Im pretty sure Rayner's leg power is , close to Crosby's leg power, the question is how well Rayner can kick in bad wheather

Rastak
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
It's probably 50-50, but I won't bet on a rookie. Not after Sander and Conway.

Good point, why go with yet another rookie after the other guy gets a years experience...also I guess it's Rayner not Raynor.... :oops:

vince
05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
HB #1: Jackson
K: Crosby

retailguy
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM

SS :
SLB :
WR #3 :
HB #1 :
CB #3 :
K:

SS. - Manuel. I think Underwood gets a shot but has to really impress in the pre-season. Had he been healthy last season and played well as a backup I think he'd get a better shot.

SLB. - Poppinga. They stuck with him when he was HORRIBLE early in the season. Then, he did improve. He's got some pass rush ability, but is a liability in coverage. I think his backup plays a lot if they show promise. I think he starts week 1, but probably not all season.

WR#3 - Toughest call - I think that Ruvell Martin is the leader for that spot right now, but I don't know that he can hold it. Since Ferguson ALWAYS plays well in the pre-season, he's got a shot too. (Sadly) I don't think either Jones or Clowney get it week 1, but I think both make the roster unless they tank in the pre-season. Holliday is probably the biggest competition to Martin... Right now... I think Ferguson gets it (My upset pick)

HB#1 - The rules said Week #1. That's Morency. But he doesn't hold it for very long and Jackson gets HALF the reps at least. This is RB by committee, and my guess, is, whichever back has early success gets the majority of the reps for that game. Jackson gets every opportunity to take over (as he should) and I think he does. Problem is, I don't think the line opens holes for either one....

CB#3 - Well, the competition is between Walker, Dendy and Blackmon. If Blackmon is healthy I think he gets it, and Walker gets waived. I don't think that Dendy has much of a chance at it, but I think he gets 4th CB over Walker. If Walker gets #3, Dendy is gone, cause they'll keep Blackmon barring another injury or a complete meltdown. So, I stick with Blackmon.

K - Crosby. Thompson doesn't like to waive a draft choice. I doubt he'd have drafted a kicker if he thought Rayner was the answer. He'd bring in a low budget free agent, but would not waste a draft choice for "competition". The draft pick indicates to me that they aren't too happy with Rayner or have significant doubts that he's the long-term answer. Unless Crosby looks like Sander did, he'll be here.

packers11
05-06-2007, 08:59 PM
retailguy... your comments on the kicking position is interesting... I'm starting to think that T.T. does not think Rayner is in the "future plans" but was a short term fix...

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Rayner had his good moments, but was only 14-19 from 30-49 yards. This ranks him in the bottom tier of starting NFL kickers last year. He needs to become more consistent, or he will be very vulnerable if Crosby kicks well.

prsnfoto
05-06-2007, 10:55 PM
If Manuel is the starting S and Herron is in the RB rotation this team will be 2-14.

I like the Crosby pick and think Pop keeps his job.

swede
05-07-2007, 07:44 AM

I think Morency may be the nominal starter for most of the season, but Jackson may end up with more carries.

Spaulding
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
SS: Underwood (I gotta believe that we can do better than Manuel and Rouse is more of a project at this point and thus unlikely to be ready as a starter at the beginning of the season)

SLB: Poppinga - he improved as the season went on and unfortunately nobody else jumps out on the roster to replace him

WR #3: Jones - although this is probably the toughest position to decide on, I think Jones will shine enough to warrant being #3. Otherwise, if Ferguson and his salary make the roster it will be him as the #3 as this will either be his spot or he'll be gone as I don't see TT paying three million a year for a special teamer.

HB #1: Morency - starter is a relative word here when he'll be splitting time with other backs but given his performance from last year, time in the system, etc. I can't see it being even Jackson unless he's lights out.

CB #3: Blackmon - he's got the talent and little competition unless Walker is a pleasant surprise.

K: Crosby - you don't take a kicker in the draft unless you plan to give him every opportunity to stick on the roster which then means he should be considered the starter. I thought Rayner did fine last year and was surprised we took Crosby. Having family in Boulder who have season Buff tickets means I know all about the guy. Combine showing not withstanding, this guy is amazing.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 12:42 AM
It's catch-as-catch-can for team's wide receivers
Big group battles for precious roster spots
By RICHARD PUFALL

Green Bay - There is a traffic jam on Lombardi Avenue. The wide receivers are backed up, bumper to bumper as far as the eye can see.

Right now, there are 11 wide receivers on the roster of the Green Bay Packers. That number could grow to 12 if the Packers add Keyshawn Johnson, who was recently cut by the Carolina Panthers.

There could be 13 men fighting for what looks like five roster spots when - or if - Koren Robinson comes back. Robinson, suspended for one year for violation of the National Football League's substance abuse policy, can apply for reinstatement on Sept. 18.

Let's complete the roll call: Donald Driver. Greg Jennings. Ruvell Martin. Carlyle Holiday. Chris Francies. Robert Ferguson. Shaun Bodiford. Calvin Russell. Carlton Brewster. Then there are 2007 draft picks, James Jones (third round) and David Clowney (fifth).

"I think you know what we have," said wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson. "You're going to see Donald be Donald, which to me is a pretty darn good player, a Pro Bowl player.

"I think you're going to see a Greg Jennings, who is a healthy Greg Jennings and if you think back to last year, pretty decent first half and not as good second half, I think primarily, because of the ankle (injury)."

It appears the Packers have some quality woven into the quantity that is their receiving corps. And it all starts with Driver:

Donald Driver: Green Bay's No. 1 wide receiver is perhaps the most underrated player at his position in the game. He started all 16 games in 2006, was selected to his second Pro Bowl and turned in the best season of his eight-year career with 92 receptions for 1,295 yards and eight touchdowns.

Yes, he has a job.

Greg Jennings: The Green Bay coaches love this guy and they should. Jennings has great ability matched by a terrific attitude and work ethic. Only injuries can hold him back.

Jennings started 2006 on a 1,000-yard pace, but an ankle injury in Miami slowed him down the stretch. Still, Jennings caught 45 passes for 632 yards and three touchdowns. He was named to the NFL's all-rookie team. And there's no reason to believe he won't be even more productive in his second season.

"I definitely think my ability to run after the catch is a strength," Jennings said.

Said Robinson: "He is polished at an early age."

Driver and Jennings appear to be locked in as starters, which means 11 other receivers could be competing for three jobs.

Ruvell Martin: He earned respect and a chance for more in 2007. Martin, at 6-foot-4, has perfect size for the West Coast offense. He played in 13 games in 2006, caught 21 passes for 358 yards and a 17-yard average. He left a lasting impression in Green Bay's season finale, a 26-7 victory over the Bears in Chicago. On New Year's Eve at Soldier Field Martin caught seven passes for 118 yards. He will be difficult to cut.

Robert Ferguson: His picture is next to the word "disappointing" in the dictionary. In six seasons with the Packers, Ferguson just hasn't gotten it done.

A tough special-teams player, but he can't stay healthy. He played in just four games last season with one start, catching a paltry five passes for 31 yards before going on injured reserve with a damaged foot.

He was not drafted by Thompson and that can only hurt him. Ferguson changed his uniform number from 89 to 87 and it could change one more time - to unlisted.

Carlyle Holiday: He left a positive impression in just four games with the Packers last season, catching nine passes for 126 yards (14-yard average).

He had a career-high five catches for 87 yards in the finale at Chicago, making him worth a long look.

Chris Francies: He will have a tough time making this team without an epidemic of injuries. He played in just two games in 2006, with two receptions for 16 yards.

Shaun Bodiford: He played in just six games last season, including three with Detroit and did not catch a pass. He went on injured reserve on Nov. 15 with a shin injury. Bodiford is not likely to find full-time employment with Green Bay.

Calvin Russell & Carlton Brewster: Neither played in a game with the Packers in 2006 and that isn't likely to change in '07.

James Jones: Thompson likes his draft picks and there is a lot to like about Jones, a big, strong and physical receiver from San Jose State, who was selected in the third round.

"I want competition," Jones said, when asked about the possibility of Johnson joining the race. "I want the Packers to be the best team that we can be.

"I think that's everyone's goal that's here, to make the roster and to be a starter. This is a dream come true. So I'm going to work real hard to try and become a starter."

Jones brings a hunger to succeed that few others can understand. From the time he was 8 until he was 12 he lived in homeless shelters in San Jose with his mother and sister.

"We went from shelter to shelter," Jones said. "Bunch of schools . . . every shelter we moved to I moved to a different school. So I went to about four or five elementary schools."

Jones went to one middle school, moved in with his grandmother until his mom was able to secure a home for the family, then he went to one high school.

"Nobody wants to do it, but I was with my mom and I believed in my mom and believing in God I knew everything would work out. You just got to keep faith. Sometimes you go through the day and you don't eat. . . . Sometimes you barely can sleep.

"Everybody don't go through it, but I was glad I went through it. It made me a better person."

David Clowney: If he makes the team, Clowney will be the fastest player on the roster. Clowney, who was drafted in the fifth round out of Virginia Tech, ran a 4.29 40-yard dash on an indoor rubber track during campus agility tests, then ran a 4.35 on an outdoor grass field.

"I plan to be here," Clowney said. "I plan to stay. The last Virginia Tech wide receiver here did an awesome job - Antonio Freeman. And I expect to do the same thing."

Clowney said the first thing he thought of when he got the call from the Packers was Brett Favre.

"Being able to catch a ball from a Hall of Fame quarterback, a legend, is a blessing," Clowney said. "It's great and I plan to do a lot with it."

Clowney has speed and quickness, but looks smaller than his listed dimensions for 6-0½ and a 188 pounds. He said he welcomes the competition, no matter the size or name.

"We've got Donald Driver and of course Jennings," he said "They're both great wide receivers. I've seen what both of them can do and they're both outstanding. . . . I welcome any competition. That's what makes you a better receiver, it helps your drive. . . . I don't care if it's Keyshawn or Donald Driver . . . me and James, we know each other well from the combine and we're going to make each other better."

And Clowney has a message for Green Bay's coaches and fans who have been looking for a deep threat.

"They found him," he said. "I plan on being that deep threat. I plan on staying."

Keyshawn Johnson: Don't count your wide receivers before they're signed. The Packers must decide if Johnson is worth pursing and will be a good fit in Green Bay.

Johnson turns 35 in June, which is elderly in the NFL at his position.

But it's hard to overlook his numbers. In his one season with Carolina, Johnson caught 70 passes for 815 yards, an 11.6-yard average and four touchdowns. For his career he has 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns.

Johnson, a possession receiver for his entire career, could help the Packers solve their problems in the red zone. But Green Bay might see Johnson as nothing more than an older version of Ruvell Martin, who turns 25 in August.

"Well, I think anytime you can upgrade your football team, whether it's with a veteran or with a younger player, that's something you have to look at," head coach Mike McCarthy said. "Obviously, Keyshawn has been very effective, more than effective, he's been very productive in the National Football League, so I think you have to look at all those situations, and that's what we do."

Koren Robinson: He has been sort of the forgotten man. Robinson is serving a one-year suspension and is not allowed to set foot on Packer property or use team facilities.

When he was released last year by Minnesota, many in the Twin Cities believed that the Vikings had lost their best wide receiver. Before his suspension Robinson caught seven passes with the Packers for 89 yards and a 12.7 average in four games.

At 27, Robinson is young enough to return as a productive receiver, if he can defeat his personal demons. In 2002 with Seattle he caught 78 passes for 1,240 and a 15.9 average.

"The one thing about our group, if you look at them, youth is a positive, particularly guys that have been here," McCarthy said Friday after the first day of Green Bay's rookie orientation camp. "I told the rookies today, the veterans have been here since March 19 getting after it. You look at Calvin Russell, he's put on probably 8 to 10 pounds of lean muscle mass. You're just seeing guys develop. Clowney and Jones I think both bring a dimension to our football team that you like. Clowney can really run. You can see his burst and his fast twitch out here today. You just never have enough good skill players."

True. But in September, 13 wide receivers will be about eight too many.

KYPack
05-10-2007, 07:22 AM

SS :
SLB :
WR #3 :
HB #1 :
CB #3 :
K:

SS. - Manuel. I think Underwood gets a shot but has to really impress in the pre-season. Had he been healthy last season and played well as a backup I think he'd get a better shot.

SLB. - Poppinga. They stuck with him when he was HORRIBLE early in the season. Then, he did improve. He's got some pass rush ability, but is a liability in coverage. I think his backup plays a lot if they show promise. I think he starts week 1, but probably not all season.

WR#3 - Toughest call - I think that Ruvell Martin is the leader for that spot right now, but I don't know that he can hold it. Since Ferguson ALWAYS plays well in the pre-season, he's got a shot too. (Sadly) I don't think either Jones or Clowney get it week 1, but I think both make the roster unless they tank in the pre-season. Holliday is probably the biggest competition to Martin... Right now... I think Ferguson gets it (My upset pick)

HB#1 - The rules said Week #1. That's Morency. But he doesn't hold it for very long and Jackson gets HALF the reps at least. This is RB by committee, and my guess, is, whichever back has early success gets the majority of the reps for that game. Jackson gets every opportunity to take over (as he should) and I think he does. Problem is, I don't think the line opens holes for either one....

CB#3 - Well, the competition is between Walker, Dendy and Blackmon. If Blackmon is healthy I think he gets it, and Walker gets waived. I don't think that Dendy has much of a chance at it, but I think he gets 4th CB over Walker. If Walker gets #3, Dendy is gone, cause they'll keep Blackmon barring another injury or a complete meltdown. So, I stick with Blackmon.

K - Crosby. Thompson doesn't like to waive a draft choice. I doubt he'd have drafted a kicker if he thought Rayner was the answer. He'd bring in a low budget free agent, but would not waste a draft choice for "competition". The draft pick indicates to me that they aren't too happy with Rayner or have significant doubts that he's the long-term answer. Unless Crosby looks like Sander did, he'll be here.

RG, Nice analysis.

I think Culver gets a shot in the mix at SS.

At CB 3 & Nickel, I think they gotta get rid of Dendy just so they can feel like they are upgrading the roster.

At K, Rayner set an unofficial all time record last year for hang-time on the kick-off. Guy's got a cannon leg, but consistency?, I dunno. Both our K's have great leg strenth, but they are still worries, ya know?

oregonpackfan
05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Joemailman,

Part of my loves your new avatar while another part of me thinks you are insulting the chimpanzee! :lol:

MadScientist
05-11-2007, 11:59 AM
SS: Underwood. Even if he didn't play, his experience from last year will give him the advantage.

SLB: Poppinga. I don't see Hodge or the late round rookies as real competition for this spot.

WR#3: David Clowney. Speed kills and Clowney has it big time.

HB#1: DeShawn Wynn. He's ready to work is butt off and his talent will push him to the top.

CB#3: Walker. Veteran skills will beat out possibly better athletes at a position where skill and savvy can make a big difference.

K: Crosby. Rayner was kept last year because his leg was stronger than the other guy, but not as accurate. Crosby has a much stronger leg than Rayner and should win it.