PDA

View Full Version : 'Hard-nosed hitter' Rouse to make run for starting safety

packers11
05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070506/PKR01/70506027/1989

'Hard-nosed hitter' Rouse to make run for starting safety

Virginia Tech player was Packers' third-round draft pick

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Going into the 2006 season, Aaron Rouse was considered perhaps the best NFL safety prospect in college football.

He was coming off a strong junior season at Virginia Tech, where he had 77 tackles and four interceptions, and he was as impressive a physical specimen as that position can produce at 6-feet-4 and 223 pounds, with a reputation for being a big hitter.

But then his play slipped in ’06 (57 tackles, one interception) and for part of the season he even split time at strong safety with fellow senior Cary Wade. That, in turn, hurt his draft status, where play on film still is the most important part of a prospect’s resume, and dropped him from a possible late first-round prospect to a third- or fourth-round prospect.

That’s where the Packers drafted him, late in the third round, pick No. 89 overall, as a possible starter at strong safety this year.

“There’s so much media coverage and hype that goes into it,” said John Schneider, the Packers’ personnel analyst to the general manager, about Rouse’s drop-off in production last year. “We thought he played well. They went through a streak where they didn’t play well as a team, that may have affected him a little bit. But we thought he played well.”

General Manager Ted Thompson targeted Rouse with a valuable first-day draft pick because the Packers have a major need at starting safety, where free-agent signee Marquand Manuel was a disappointment last year. The Packers are looking for Rouse to make a strong run at that strong-safety spot along with Manuel and third-year pro Marviel Underwood, who’s coming back from knee-reconstruction surgery last August.

Rouse was available as a mid-round prospect because his decline in play last year left some teams questioning how good a safety he’ll be in the NFL — even strong safety is now much more a pass coverage-oriented position than it was in the past, and in the Packers’ defense the two safety positions have become almost interchangeable. Rouse’s unusual size left many scouts concerned he’ll be a liability in coverage against smaller, quicker players in the open field.

Rouse has shown he runs well for a big man (4.53 seconds in the 40 at his campus workout) and he plays the ball well in the air. The Packers came away from film study convinced he’s a decent cover man who’s especially suited to play tight ends down the middle of the field.

“He’s going to stand out at times because he’s so long and rangy when he’s out in space,” Schneider said. “Guys (that tall) are naturally going to look a little awkward at times. But we thought for a guy that size he did a good job in that regard.”

When NFL teams asked Rouse about his ’06 play in interviews this spring, he told them that the death of his maternal grandfather last fall affected him profoundly, as did a temporary benching and admonition to dial back his aggressiveness from the Virginia Tech coaching staff early in the season. The coaches were upset with him because he’d been penalized several times for late hits.

But this week at the Packers’ rookie-orientation camp, he even disputed the notion he didn’t play as well in ’06 as he did in ’05. And he also disputed that he’s a one-dimensional big hitter who’s not a good cover safety.

“A lot of misconceptions,” he said. “When people look at me, they say, ‘He’s really huge,’ but once you see me out there playing, taking away throwing lanes, interceptions, turn around and run, you’d be surprised.”

Rouse will get as good a shot as anyone at winning the starting safety job opposite Nick Collins this summer.

Manuel, a sixth-year pro, is the returning starter in name only after a sub-par first season with the Packers in which he blew more coverages than expected. Manuel was a sound and aggressive tackler near the line of scrimmage but struggled in that area in the open field.

Underwood, the other top candidate for the job, is a wild card in that battle. He was off to a good start in training camp last year before tearing up his knee in the first exhibition game. Had he remained healthy and continued to play at that level, there’s a good chance he would have replaced Manuel in the starting lineup sometime during the regular season.

But it’s hard to predict how well Underwood will perform in his first training camp after reconstruction surgery. He’s nearly nine months removed from the procedure, so he’s close to being ready to play.

“Ideally, you'd like to have (Underwood) for the (June) OTAs,” coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday. “But realistically we're probably better off if we wait until training camp.”

Rouse will be well behind the other two in his knowledge of coordinator Bob Sanders’ defense, but the Packers drafted him thinking he has the talent to possibly win that job even as a rookie.

“I’m a hard-nosed hitter and playmaker,” Rouse said. “Be all over the field.”

swede
05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
He talks like a safety should talk, but so did Mr. Sharper.

Fritz
05-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I dunno. This is just one guy I can't get excited about. I keep reading that he plays stiff, has no lateral movement, isn't terribly instinctive.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
But this week at the Packers’ rookie-orientation camp, he even disputed the notion he didn’t play as well in ’06 as he did in ’05. And he also disputed that he’s a one-dimensional big hitter who’s not a good cover safety.

Hmmmm. I wonder if he'd dispute that he was taken in the 3rd round instead of the first.

Packnut
05-07-2007, 08:44 AM
If healthy Manuel will be starting at Saftey. Any talk of Rouse or Underwood starting is just blowing smoke.

Guiness
05-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Hmmmm. I wonder if he'd dispute that he was taken in the 3rd round instead of the first.

I was thinking about the same thing myself. I know it's a quote taken entirely out of context, but this smacks of a guy who doesn't take responsibility for his mistakes (Longwell anyone?)

ahaha
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
If healthy Manuel will be starting at Saftey. Any talk of Rouse or Underwood starting is just blowing smoke.

Because Manuel is valuable to our defense?

If you look at what positions might have new starters, not counting DT where Harrel is just about penciled in, Manuel's spot looks like the most vulnerable.

packers11
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I hope Rouse is not a Roy Williams type of player... He is the most overrated player, and gets burned all the time... Hopefully he can show he is not a liability in coverage.

ahaha
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Maybe he'll be a John Lynch type, adequete in coverage and a real punishing enforcer. If our front seven can produce consistent pressure this could be quite valuable.

LaFours
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
He's 6-3. If he can put it together he has a chance to be unlike any safety out there. Here's hoping...

BooHoo
05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Boy we really need him to have a great year.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 12:05 PM

I was thinking about the same thing myself. I know it's a quote taken entirely out of context, but this smacks of a guy who doesn't take responsibility for his mistakes (Longwell anyone?)

It's really a fine line between confidence and arrogance, isn't it?

Packnut
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM

If you look at what positions might have new starters, not counting DT where Harrel is just about penciled in, Manuel's spot looks like the most vulnerable.

No, because IF you had paid attention to what MM and TT have said, both stated that he was not to blame for the blown or poor coverages. Teddy even went out of his way to explain how coming to a new city and new system is difficult for a player and also used the getting over an injury excuse for Manuel. One thing about Thompson is that he believes what he says.

MM also is on record defending Manuel. He's also #1 on the depth chart meaning someone has to BEAT HIM OUT, for the starting spot. They have a good chunk of cash invested in Manuel and are not going to give up on him after 1 season.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Exactly.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
He's also #1 on the depth chart meaning someone has to BEAT HIM OUT, for the starting spot.

I agree, and think that's how it should be.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
MM also is on record defending Manuel. He's also #1 on the depth chart meaning someone has to BEAT HIM OUT, for the starting spot. They have a good chunk of cash invested in Manuel and are not going to give up on him after 1 season.

Just because McCarthy didn't rip one of his players doesn't mean he's happy with his play. He's not the type of coach that will scapegoat one of his players. Plus, they don't have that much invested in him. His deal was for 5y/$10M--which isn't enough to influence whether he even makes the team or not. I'd be surprised if Manuel is the starter--unless HE wins the starting job (e.g. proves last year was a fluke). I'd actually think Underwood would be the favorite (it sure looked like he had a good shot at beating out Manuel last year), but he has to come back healthy.

mraynrand
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM

Indeed. Just so long as he eshews the ecstasy and the concealed weaponry, he may be OK.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 01:36 PM

No, because IF you had paid attention to what MM and TT have said, both stated that he was not to blame for the blown or poor coverages. Teddy even went out of his way to explain how coming to a new city and new system is difficult for a player and also used the getting over an injury excuse for Manuel. One thing about Thompson is that he believes what he says.

ALL true. So so true.

It may be all very sad?

Packnut
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Just because McCarthy didn't rip one of his players doesn't mean he's happy with his play. He's not the type of coach that will scapegoat one of his players. Plus, they don't have that much invested in him. His deal was for 5y/$10M--which isn't enough to influence whether he even makes the team or not. I'd be surprised if Manuel is the starter--unless HE wins the starting job (e.g. proves last year was a fluke). I'd actually think Underwood would be the favorite (it sure looked like he had a good shot at beating out Manuel last year), but he has to come back healthy.

Don't know why you bring the "ripping his player" part up since that has nothing to do with my point, but then again most of what you post remains a mystery to me :P .

It's one thing not to rip a player, but a whole different story to DEFEND him as MM did. Also, as far as the money goes, it's funny how SOME people here dis-regard dollar amounts when it fits their point. Sure, the couple of million wasted on him is nothing right? Yet ask for 2 million to be used on a FA like Eric Johnson and the TT backers come out of the woodwork to explain how that's to much money to waste..............

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Don't know why you bring the "ripping his player" part up since that has nothing to do with my point, but then again most of what you post remains a mystery to me :P .

Not too hard to figure out. How elementary do I need to get? You said that McCarthy praised Manuel. I pointed out that it's not his style. Maybe the reason McCarthy "praised" Manuel was because reporters asked him about Manuel (perhaps, repeatedly)--because he stuck out like a sore thumb last year.

It's one thing not to rip a player, but a whole different story to DEFEND him as MM did. Also, as far as the money goes, it's funny how SOME people here dis-regard dollar amounts when it fits their point. Sure, the couple of million wasted on him is nothing right? Yet ask for 2 million to be used on a FA like Eric Johnson and the TT backers come out of the woodwork to explain how that's to much money to waste..............

Do you have a clue how much his signing bonus is? Why don't you research that, and then get back to me. Tell me how much it would actually cost the team if they cut him. $2M/year is nothing if a guy didn't get a huge signing bonus. That would mean he would cost little to nothing to cut.

KYPack
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM

Not too hard to figure out. How elementary do I need to get? You said that McCarthy praised Manuel. I pointed out that it's not his style. Maybe the reason McCarthy "praised" Manuel was because reporters asked him about Manuel (perhaps, repeatedly)--because he stuck out like a sore thumb last year.

Do you have a clue how much his signing bonus is? Why don't you research that, and then get back to me. Tell me how much it would actually cost the team if they cut him. $2M/year is nothing if a guy didn't get a huge signing bonus. That would mean he would cost little to nothing to cut.

Manuels base for this year is 1,260,000
His PRSB and other bonus is 340,000.

It's a cheap cut. This one will have to play very well in Pre to keep his job. He repeatedly blew covers, screwed up his assignments, and failed to execute - mainly on his tackling. If he plays at his '06 level again, he will be gone.

I think Culver will get a look.

I like Rouse. I think he gets a year to be a ST terror, then they work him into a job. If he can handle it. The kids kind of a Frankenstein type guy. Big and bad, but stiff.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I like Rouse. I think he gets a year to be a ST terror, then they work him into a job. If he can handle it. The kids kind of a Frankenstein type guy. Big and bad, but stiff.

:whaa:

Stiff? does he like to grab? We can call him Grabby Stiff? :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
The kids kind of a Frankenstein type guy. Big and bad, but stiff.

:P

Great description.

ahaha
05-07-2007, 11:14 PM

Do you really believe Manuel's job is secure? Because the coach threw out some excuses for him? I've watched football long enough to know not to read too much into a coach defending a player publicly. Thanks to Manuel's putrid play last year, others will get a fair shot to win his starting job.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't M3 defend Ferguson last year before he lost the starter role to Jennings?

wist43
05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
From what little tape I've seen of him he looked very tenative in supporting the run, and he did, in fact, look stiff in space...

Everyone loves his measurables, but is he really a football player???

It would seem that Underwood has been slow to recover from his surgery... I had him penciled in as the starter, but if he's not healthy, maybe Rouse will be the starter... Manuel, for all of his supposed acuity, seems to be out of position and step slow more often than not.

We definitely need an upgrade here... still think Underwood will win the job, but his health status makes this position a huge ????

HarveyWallbangers
05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
What tape did you watch? The highlight videos?

I have no idea if the guy can play, but he didn't look tentative in the few clips I watched, so I'll wait to see how he looks in camp. I watched a few Virginia Tech games, but I can't say that I focused on him. Plus, TV very seldom shows the safety unless he makes a play, so it's impossible to tell what he's doing down-in, down-out. He made a boatload of interceptions before last year, and he's said to have good ball skills. That's about all I know about the guy.

wist43
05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
What tape did you watch? The highlight videos?

I have no idea if the guy can play, but he didn't look tentative in the few clips I watched, so I'll wait to see how he looks in camp. I watched a few Virginia Tech games, but I can't say that I focused on him. Plus, TV very seldom shows the safety unless he makes a play, so it's impossible to tell what he's doing down-in, down-out. He made a boatload of interceptions before last year, and he's said to have good ball skills. That's about all I know about the guy.

Yeah, that's all I've seen is highlights, and read scouting reports... have to get up to camp in a couple of weeks and watch him closely to get a better take on him.

I can remember a few years ago when they drafted Donnell Washington... looked like a monster, scouts said he had a high ceiling, but from the 1st moment I saw him on the practice field I could tell he wasn't a player - couldn't bend his knees, sink his hips, or move his feet.

If a guy can't play, you can usually tell pretty quickly... hopefully, Rouse will be a player - don't have an opinion yet.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 05:30 PM
He's 6-3. If he can put it together he has a chance to be unlike any safety out there. Here's hoping...

Actually. . .

Rouse says height should work to his advantage

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: May 5, 2007

Green Bay - Rookie safety Aaron Rouse stands head and shoulders above almost every player at his position in the National Football League, yet there are still questions about whether he can make it in the professional ranks.

Packers/NFL

Photo/Mark Hoffman

Safety Aaron Rouse says his height will work to his advantage in the NFL.

The Green Bay Packers' second of two third-round draft choices out of Virginia Tech stands 6 feet 4 inches and weights 225 pounds. He is tall and lean, in the mold of safeties such as Arizona's Adrian Wilson and Dallas' Ken Hamlin more than Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu.

In fact, the only safety taller than Rouse who played in the NFL last year was the Cowboys' Pat Watkins. Everyone else in the league was under 6-4, and most were in the 6-foot range.

"My height helps me out," Rouse said Saturday during a break in rookie orientation camp.

"I can recognize the coverage better, I can recognize the backfield sets, not to mention my height alone takes away throwing lanes. If you just play with great leverage and great eyes and bending your knees, it's all right."

Many scouts drooled over Rouse's athletic talents but choked on his production last season with the Hokies. In his second season at safety, he was supposed to blossom into something special but instead regressed.

The Packers liked what they saw from Rouse during his junior year, when he earned all-Atlantic Coast Conference honors and decided to take a chance on him with the 89th pick in the draft.

In many ways, Rouse compares to Hamlin, the safety general manager Ted Thompson took with the 42nd pick in 2002 when he was with the Seattle Seahawks.

Rouse ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds, bench-pressed 225 pounds 16 times and had a vertical jump of 35 inches at the scouting combine.

The 6-2 1/2, 209-pound Hamlin ran a 4.61, had 16 reps on the bench and a vertical jump of 33 inches.

Hamlin was well on his way to becoming an outstanding player when he suffered a fractured skull in an off-the-field incident. He missed most of the 2005 season and hasn't been the same player since.

Like other big safeties, Rouse has to show he's not too stiff in the hips in coverage, too tall to get his pads down and tackle smaller running backs and too mechanical to be a big hitter. He doesn't see himself having any difficulty proving himself in those areas and maintains that his height will be an advantage the Packers can use.

"The quarterback has to put a lot of air under the ball, and a lot of times it came on quick outs and dig routes, the quarterback can't see him (the receiver)," Rouse said of dealing with his height.

"In the UVA game, I had two interceptions. The quarterback tried to get it over one of our linebackers, and being I'm so tall he wasn't expecting me to be there.

"Height alone, your ability to jump and be an athlete, you can take away a lot of things and make it difficult for the opposing team."

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't care how tall he is - can the man play??????

MJZiggy
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. I wish they'd have more open mini-camps this season. Then we'd have even a better idea.

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:47 PM
With the blah, blah, blah given by coaches and management during mini-camps you can never get a good read on the rookies. If you go by what is said every rookie is the best thing since sliced bread. An open mini-camp is one way to get more acturate information.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 11:14 PM
I count on just this.

TC has to be a competition. The best roster derived fr. that experience.

Nothing else will work for this team now. We are hard up against the eight ball to form a competitive team.

We read it all here.

Take last year for example.

Some members here who are supposedly on top of it. Felt that WR Ruvell Martin wouldn"t survive the TC and he did. It was obvious that his work and production warranted just that.

Yet. Some were blind to what a fine camp he had.

The cream has to come to the top.