PDA

View Full Version : Closer Look RB Brandon Jackson, WR David Clowney

motife
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Brandon Jackson, RB, Nebraska
Banner Year: (2006) 188 attempts,. 989 rush yards, .313 receiving yards, 10 TD
Packer Comparison: Eddie Lee Ivery
How does he fit in? When NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the Buffalo Bills selected Marshawn Lynch with the 12th overall selection of the NFL draft, the gun fired on a running back derby 1,004 miles to the east.

Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, Arliss Beach, P.J. Pope, and second round pick Brandon Jackson will not be auditioning for just one starting spot. They will be fighting for specific roles in a rotation. Expect the Packers to take a tip from the four conference championship teams and adopt a ‘running back by committee’ approach. Up to three backs could all see substantial playing time in 2007 as a pound-it-out back, a change-of-pace back, or a third down back.

Expect Jackson to fulfill the second role, and to fill it well. His instinctive, jitterbug style is an ideal contrast to Morency’s violent, fall-forward running. Jackson might not have the leg strength of the back he’s aiming to replace, fellow Cornhusker alum Ahman Green. But he has much more deliberate wiggle and cutting ability, which makes him a perfect fit for Green Bay’s zone blocking scheme. Whereas Morency follows pulling guards better inside the tackles, Jackson is equipped for stretch, zone-blocking plays where he can find green on the outside and cut into the open field.

A 48-yard run against Kansas State said it all.

The play was designed for Jackson to string outside on a stretch run, toward the wide side of the field. Kansas State’s defensive line collectively washed down the line on the snap and Jackson reacted immediately by cutting inside. He slid beneath a block and veered back to the right where a gang tackle awaited. No problem. You can’t argue with five yards and a cloud of dust. But Jackson’s sixth sense told him that the left side was open with greener pastures, so he hop-stepped and cut back against the grain. Jackson slipped, recovered and scampered up the sideline for 43 more yards - 43 yards that most backs wouldn’t have known even existed.

Brandon Jackson isn’t completely constricted to stretch zone plays, either. Like first round pick Justin Harrell, he’s a versatile athlete. Nebraska often sent Jackson on ‘wheel’ routes up the sideline, a route Ahman Green rarely ran. That’s not the only reason Brett Favre will learn to love Jackson. At Nebraska he was a willing blocker in pass protection. Being a multi-purpose back should keep Jackson from fading away like other cut-oriented Packer backs Travis Jervey and De’Mond Parker.

So why was this guy criticized for declaring for the draft a year early? Jackson wasn’t put in the same zip code as Adrian Peterson and Lynch by most scouts for several reasons. He only had one productive season at Nebraska and shared rushing duties with sophomores Marlon Lucky, Cody Glenn, and junior Kenny Wilson who collectively had 119 more carries than Jackson. Jackson only started in nine of 14 games in his breakout junior year and has had shoulder problems. Scouts argue that he is “more quick than fast” and that he “could wear down with increased carries.” But with Green Bay, Atlanta, and Denver these are hardly negatives.

The zone blocking scheme is predicated on quickness in short areas, not straight ahead speed. When the offensive line moves laterally, rarely does the back wind up sprinting in a line. It takes authoritative quickness. You don’t have to be a big and fast beast to thrive in this system as Warrick Dunn, Jerious Norwood, Olandis Gary, and Tatum Bell proved. Whether Jackson will wear down is just speculation. Unlike Brian Leonard (678 collegiate carries), Kenny Irons(520), and Antonio Pittman (557), Jackson (291) has few miles on his odometer. Considering most backs plateau at 30 years of age, it doesn’t hurt to draft someone whose potential has just tipped the iceberg. If Jackson and Morency alternate for 12 to 15 carries apiece per game, “wearing down” will not be an issue for the rookie, and his longevity will benefit.

Right now head coach Mike McCarthy is happy to have a toy to play with on offense, workhorse or not.

"If one individual can carry the load, then we'll go that way," said McCarthy. "If not, we'll play it by situations, back-by-committee, however you want to label it. We've added a very good player at running back - that's the way I view it."

In his 17 seasons Brett Favre has relied on three primary running backs - Edgar Bennett, Levens, and Green. As McCarthy alluded, this season Favre could very well be handing off to three part-time backs. A rotation system will keep fresh legs on the field and maximize each running back’s strengths, which will demoralize defenses… and of course fantasy football owners (see: the Mike Shanahan effect).

Expect offensive coordinator Joe Philbin to design particular plays for Morency, Jackson, and whoever else steps up. Remember, Vince Lombardi’s playbook was thinner than that of the freewheelin’ Golden State Warriors - 16 plays. Many NFL coaches draw up hundreds of complicated plays and basic fundamentals (route running, blocking techniques, reading linemen) get lost in translation.

If Jackson finds his niche on 3 to 5 specific plays then he could become this year’s Maurice Jones-Drew. But first he’ll have to earn his carries. You can bet that Beach, Herron, and Pope want a taste of the action, too.

Tyler Dunne is a frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at tydunne07@yahoo.com. Dunne will take a closer look at wide receiver David Clowney tomorrow.

motife
05-06-2007, 06:33 PM
David Clowney, WR, Virginia Tech
Banner Year: (2005) 34 catches, 619 yards (18.2 avg.) 3 TDs
Packer Comparison: Corey Bradford
How does he fit in? Four minutes, 19 seconds remain in the fourth quarter and Green Bay trails San Francisco 23-20 in the 1999 NFC Wild Card game. With the ball on their own 11-yard line and Brett Favre fresh off an ugly interception, hope was scarce. But in true Favre fashion, he heaved a 47-yard bomb to little-known receiver Corey Bradford to put the Packers in scoring range, where Favre hooked up with Antonio Freeman for the go-ahead score two plays later. On the ensuing possession, if the officials realize that 49ers receiver Jerry Rice fumbles, or if Craig Newsome hangs on to a sure interception on the next play, then Bradford is a hero.

One year later. Trailing the Detroit Lions 17-12 in the third quarter, Green Bay was on the brink of a four-game losing streak. Favre lobs another ‘go-get-it’ prayer to Bradford in the corner of the end zone, and the Jackson State-product makes an acrobatic one-handed snare as he’s falling down. The Packers won 26-17 and strung off three straight wins.

Bradford was hardly a polished receiver. He lacked strength and was never more than Green Bay’s third wide receiver on the depth chart. But Bradford could change a game in an instant, whether he was turning a five-yard slant into a 74-yard touchdown (vs. Seattle ’99) or snagging a 51-yarder to spark the Packers in their 2002 Wild Card revenge against San Francisco. It’s simple. Speed kills.

Green Bay’s fifth round pick, David Clowney, fits this mold of Bradford, and then some. He will be expected to make the tough catch across the middle and wrestle away passes in traffic as well as stretch the field. Like Bradford, Clowney has sprinter’s speed (4.36 40-time) and can make the circus catch. Several of Favre’s 47 interceptions the last two years were a result of overthrown balls. It’s been difficult to keep defenses honest without a home run threat, hence the Clowney selection.

Now the million dollar question weighing on Ted Thompson’s shoulders: Is Clowney and James Jones (two raw rookies with high character) a better option than Randy Moss (one proven veteran with low character). Bottom line? Someone has to go deep.

Even in Mike McCarthy’s conservative, max-protection offense, Brett Favre needs a speedster to connect with on deep routes. Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Bradford, and Javon Walker could get separation from defensive backs and make the big play, an element that has been lacking the last two seasons. Regardless of who is calling the plays, Favre is going to take shots downfield. Clowney has the natural speed to chase down Favre’s frequent floaters.

McCarthy sees this potential. He also realizes the prospects of pairing Clowney with third round pick Jones, who is a much more physically-imposing pass-catcher.

“James Jones is extremely physical,” he said. “We felt he was one of the most physical receivers in the draft. …Clowney and Jones both bring a dimension. Clowney can run. You can see his burst and his fast twitch out there.”

Added Green Bay scout Lee Gissendaner, “Once [Clowney] gets the ball in his hands, he’s north-south right away. There’s no wasted motion. He’s trying to make something happen after the catch, and you have to acknowledge his speed, give him respect for his speed.”

If Clowney can do just that and extend safeties back 12 to 15 yards, then Green Bay has plenty of sure-handed possession receivers to work underneath coverages. Ideally, Clowney gets to a point where his presence on the field softens defenses, allowing Donald Driver and Greg Jennings to operate in more space. At least that is the effect that Bradford had on Bill Schroeder, who put together his two best seasons with Bradford in the lineup (1999: 74-1074, 5 TD and 2001: 53-918, 9 TD). After leaving Green Bay (and Bradford), Schroeder never came close to those numbers and was out of the league in three seasons.

In year one, such an impact will not be expected from Clowney. But he’s willing to fulfill any role the Packers have in store.

“I’ll give it my best in any special teams I can do, punt team, kickoff return, receiver…whatever I can get on, I’ll do,” he smiled. “I want to help this team win a Super Bowl.”

As humble as the Hokie is, falling to the 157th overall pick in the fifth round did leave some bruises.

“I was frustrated about Saturday and actually cried that night,” admitted Clowney. “My family had to talk to me. But everything happens for a reason. Green Bay believes in me…Being able to catch passes from a legend is a blessing.”

Why the slip? Well, to say that Clowney is thin as a rail is generous. Try a toothpick. At 6-0, 185, many teams believe he’ll get pushed around in the NFL. But it’s not like Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt will be winning Mr. Olympia anytime soon. Size can be overrated.

Don’t be fooled by Clowney’s stature or draft sobbing. Pound for pound, Clowney may be one of the draft’s toughest receivers, physically and mentally. At Virginia Tech, Clowney never shied from contact and didn’t complain about an offense that rotated its receivers. Nine days after an emergency appendectomy, Clowney was back on the field. Despite starting only five of 12 games in his senior season, the collegiate track star has the tools to succeed in the NFL.

Essentially, he is a classic ‘boom or bust’ fifth round pick. His lean frame may drive him out of the league in the blink of an eye as it did with former Packer picks Joey Jamison and DeAndrew Rubin. Or Clowney’s speed could become the X-Factor that Green Bay’s offense is missing.

Right now, the jury is out on Clowney.

Rastak
05-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Motife, the 4 WR's I'm most interested in comparing are

James Jones
David Clowney
Sidney Rice
Aundrae Allison

It will be a very interesting thing to see these guys in pre-season and how it shakes out. Really, Clowney and Allison are very similar, so that should be fun to watch.

Hey Motife, who is that in the avatar?

motife
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Chris Havel says the Packers will play Korey Hall at FB, drafted as ILB from Boise St.

http://www.arbiteronline.com/media/paper890/stills/az39f6c1.jpg

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2006/preview/pics/small/boisestate_korey_hall_sm.jpg

LB KOREY HALL #35

6' 0" • 236 lbs. • Boise State

Exp: Rookie NFL Season, Rookie Packers Season
Acquired: Draft 2007 (6a)

motife
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey Motife, who is that in the avatar?

America's mayor. I live in Iowa and just came from a townhall meeting with him. Wow.

Lurker64
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
the gun fired on a running back derby 1,004 miles to the east.

Green Bay is in the Atlantic Ocean now?

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM

I know we have depth now, but that's a little nuts...

Cheesehead Craig
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM

I know we have depth now, but that's a little nuts...
:lol: Well done sir

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
(ma'am) but thanks.

Chubbyhubby
05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a good feeling about Clowney. Speedster with good hands and I think the most important part is that he likes going in the middle. I see Jennings and Clowney here for along while. Should be a fun season to watch next year.

Bretsky
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
I have a good feeling about Clowney. Speedster with good hands and I think the most important part is that he likes going in the middle. I see Jennings and Clowney here for along while. Should be a fun season to watch next year.

I too am very intrigued by Clowney

The Leaper
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Motife, the 4 WR's I'm most interested in comparing are

James Jones
David Clowney
Sidney Rice
Aundrae Allison

I will also be watching Jarrett closely as well, as Thompson passed on the chance to move up to get either Rice or Jarrett in the second round.