View Full Version : JS-MIXED REVIEWS- Opinions Differ on Jones

Bretsky
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Mixed reviews
Opinions differ on Jones
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 5, 2007

Green Bay - Contrary to some draft-night impressions, the Green Bay Packers weren't guilty of a reach of epochal proportion with their selection of wide receiver James Jones in the middle of the third round.

Wide receiver James Jones, a third-round pick, will try to prove that doubts about his ability were misplaced.

That might have been a little high given questions about Jones' speed and mental acuity. But, as scouts often say, if you really want a certain player you often must overpay to get him.

Late last week, six personnel people with a national focus were asked what round Jones had been on their team's draft board. Three scouts said fourth round, two said fifth round and another refused to be more specific than "second day."

Also, each scout was asked what one player caught them most by surprise being selected in the opening three rounds.

Defensive tackle Jay Alford (third round, No. 81 pick by the New York Giants) garnered two votes. Drawing one vote were fullback Brian Leonard (second round, No. 52, New York Giants), center Samson Satele (second round, No. 60, Miami), cornerback Usama Young (third round, No. 66, New Orleans) and Jones (third round, No. 78, Green Bay).

Even the scout that regarded Jones as the biggest reach of the first three rounds still had him as a fifth-round choice.

"The only negative we had was the speed," the personnel man said. "His speed was on the average side. Not a real threat per se but a respectable player. He's a good player, just not a dynamic player."

On the opposite end of the spectrum was Jim Gruden, a personnel consultant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and an NFL scout for 23 years.

"I had him in the fourth but only because of his speed," Gruden said. "He kind of reminded me really of a young Sterling Sharpe. I hate to say that because I thought Sterling was great, but he's built like that. Real strong, physical kid. I think Green Bay got a good player, especially for the bad weather. I will be shocked if he's not."

Sharpe measured 5 feet 11 1/4 inches, weighed 201 at the combine in 1988 and ran 40 yards in 4.54 and 4.49, according to the National and Blesto combines.

Jones, 6-0 3/4 and 210, ran 4.54 at the combine in February.

The players that Jones has been told by Packers' coaches and scouts that he reminds them of are Arizona's Anquan Boldin (6-0 1/2, 215, 4.67) and Pittsburgh's Hines Ward (5-11 1/2, 215, 4.55).

"Jimmy Robinson told me that I reminded him of Anquan Boldin," said Jones, referring to the Packers' wide receivers coach. "But I'm not going to worry about playing like Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward. I'm going to play like James Jones."

One AFC personnel director said Jones' strength, though good, wasn't close to Boldin's level. Another scout compared him to Seattle's Bobby Engram, a slot possession receiver for 11 seasons.

"We had him 4.59," an NFC personnel director said. "He had a low test score (9 on the Wonderlic intelligence test). Let me say this. There were enough things to keep him in the second day. But I like him. The problem is nobody had him going that high. James Jones wasn't talked about by other teams."

Jones understood the gravity of his situation. After his nondescript 2005 season at San Jose State, scouts for the two scouting combines gave him free-agent grades. There were even more questions when San Jose State coach Dick Tomey didn't permit his players to run the 40 last spring. Based on tape review, one combine scout estimated his time to be 4.65.

In the 2006 San Jose State media guide, the depth chart at split end listed Jones as no better than a possible starter.

"I didn't make the plays I should have made my junior year," Jones said. "But I trained real hard in the summer and told myself, 'If I'm going to have a chance and change these people's minds, I need to have a blowout senior year.' "

Jones said he lived from "homeless shelter to homeless shelter" from ages 8 to 12 in the San Jose area with his mother, sister and cousin. His aunt was in prison, his father was involved with drugs and his mother had a 24-pound tumor removed from her stomach during his senior year in high school.

"Sometimes you go through the day and you don't eat, sometimes you go through the day and you barely can sleep," Jones said of his homeless years. "It was a rough childhood."

Today, Jones' mother is in good health and his dad has become a strong, supportive factor in his life.

"I'm glad I went through it because it made me a better person," he said. "I just know I've got to work hard and don't take nothing for granted. Because as quick as it came it can be taken away."

One personnel director for an AFC team that had Jones in the fifth round said: "Really a good worker. Long strider. Not real quick in and out of breaks. Didn't have a great feel on routes. Athletic. Hands were below average. They thought he needed some reps there. More of a long-term project."

An AFC director with a fourth-round grade on Jones said: "He's a nice-sized kid. Very consistent. He's just not a speed guy. . . but he plays faster than what he times. And the time wasn't that awful. Good player."

Jones caught 70 of his 126 passes and scored 10 of his 12 touchdowns in '06 as San Jose State finished 9-4, its best record since 1990.

"He just doesn't have that top-end speed that everybody gets all enamored with," Gruden said. "There's a lot of guys that don't run fast but just know how to play. He's very coachable. He's just a football player."

The Leaper
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I can certainly see the similarity to Sharpe in terms of his build.

Just one problem. Sharpe set school records at an SEC school...proving his talent over time on an elite level.

That just isn't true of Jones...which means comparing him to Sharpe is just foolishness at this point.

Fritz
05-07-2007, 08:08 AM
It's all foolishness at this point, Leaper. We just ain't gonna know for real for about two or three years.

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Sharpe comparisons are a bit much a week after the draft. I think Sterling was a sure fire HOFer if he didn't get hurt.

wist43
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
No matter how they spin it, Jones was a major reach...

I think I read a couple of articles where a team or two had him in the 4th to 5th round range... some had him as a FA. It would seem that the Packers were the only team in the league that had him as 3rd round pick.

As Jason Wilde said - Jones is their "we're smarterism" pick.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 09:37 AM

My bet is that it was more likely that they had Jones rated somewhere around the 80th best player in the draft, and they took him because of that. I guess I need to bring out my Freudian side. If it's true, then hopefully they were smarter than others--like they were on Jennings, Moll, and Spitz last year.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 09:43 AM

My bet is that it was more likely that they had Jones rated somewhere around the 80th best player in the draft, and they took him because of that. I guess I need to bring out my Freudian side. If it's true, then hopefully they were smarter than others--like they were on Jennings, Moll, and Spitz last year.

Understand your point, however, I think you WAY overrate this line, their effectiveness and the quality of their play... I still have major questions related to this offensive line.

Jennings seems to be a find, but there are questions since he spent a big portion of the year hurt... Which Jennings do we get back? We'll soon see.

Zool
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Understand your point, however, I think you WAY overrate this line, their effectiveness and the quality of their play... I still have major questions related to this offensive line.

Jennings seems to be a find, but there are questions since he spent a big portion of the year hurt... Which Jennings do we get back? We'll soon see.

Agreed, but he did play 3 very productive years in college without injury. Ankle sprains are a bitch to come back from sometimes too.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
It doesn't take a scout to see that Jennings is a good player. There was a noticeable dropoff in his speed after the injury. I don't have any worries about Jennings. It's not like he was injury prone in college either. Of course, injuries can happen to any player, but I'm no more worried about Jennings than any other player.

Packgator
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
No matter how they spin it, Jones was a major reach

There was a big run on WR's taking place at the time of the Jones pick (78). WR's went 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, and 80. The only exception was a TE at 77. Most of those taken during the "run" can probably be labled reaches. Who knows at that point?

If you want a WR at 78 what are you to do? You create your board and then trust it.......otherwise why have one. Hopefully the Packers "board makers" are better than the others.

Was Jones ranked to high on the Packers board? It would be fun if we could replay the draft from pick 78 if the Packers didn't take Jones there.......just to see where he would have gone. It would be fun to be able to that with all the picks from the 3rd round on. But.......

retailguy
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Agreed, but he did play 3 very productive years in college without injury. Ankle sprains are a bitch to come back from sometimes too.

Yeah, they are. That's really the biggest point. I expect him to come back, hopefully his offseason has completed the rehab. Ankle injuries can last many months, and depended on the severity can sometimes never be the same.

I also wasn't trying to label him an injury risk either... His college career surely didn't indicate that.

wist43
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
The Packers aren't bankrupt at WR, but they are very limited.

Martin and Holliday stepped up and contributed down the stretch last year, but neither one is capable of starting... as #3's and 4's, you'll probably always be looking to replace them.

Jones seems like just a guy, and Clowney has a long way to go b/4 he can contribute from scrimmage.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 11:22 AM
We have solid starting WRs. Hopefully, these guys give us the depth we've bene lacking.

It will be interesting to see which receivers do the best. I liked Jason Hill and Paul Williams before the draft. Hill was taken before our pick, and Williams I liked because mtp vouched for him.

73 HOUSTON - WR Jacoby Jones, Lane College

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He's a track person who converted to football. He's tall and he's got speed, and he has kick-return ability. High risk, high reward.

74 BALTIMORE - WR Yamon Figurs, Kansas State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He is a young man who sat out a year after graduating from high school. He's a very good addition to a team because he's an outstanding return man who can also be a No. 3 or No. 4 wide receiver. He was as fast as anybody at the Combine.

75 ATLANTA - WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He's a player who grew up in Florida and was not highly recruited. He went to a Div. I-AA school. He had a very good junior, but not as good in his senior year. He's a big guy who runs well.

76 SAN FRANCISCO - WR Jason Hill, Washington State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
Surprised everyone at the Combine with his 40 time. He was expected to run a 4.55, but got it down into the 4.3s. He was a two-year starter in a good program, but wasn't as productive in 2006 as he was in 2005. A great special-teams player at WSU.

78 GREEN BAY - WR James Jones, San Jose State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
Jones is a tall wide receiver and he runs a 4.54. He's strong (22 reps) and he had a big season last year (70 catches). He makes the short catches that keeps the chains moving.

79 JACKSONVILLE - WR Mike Walker, Central Florida

Gil Brandt's Analysis
A big speed receiver (6-1, 209; 4.35). He's got very good hands and he's smooth. He's a little bit of a gamble, but his numbers justify the pick.

80 TENNESSEE - WR Paul Williams, Fresno State

Gil Brandt's Analysis
He's 6-1 1/4, 205 and he ran a 4.44. He had only 21 catches last season (his team had no QB and he has injured). His brother was a first-round pick with Buffalo.

pittstang5
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
There was a big run on WR's taking place at the time of the Jones pick (78). WR's went 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, and 80. The only exception was a TE at 77.

Packergator brings up something that I've been thinking about. When all those receivers started going, maybe TT and others were afraid Jones wouldn't be around in the later rounds. It's obvious due to where he was taken and various reports from the Packer staff that they liked Jones and what he can potentially bring to the team. I'm skeptical, but what do I know.

MadtownPacker
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
It will be interesting to see which receivers do the best. I liked Jason Hill and Paul Williams before the draft. Hill was taken before our pick, and Williams I liked because mtp vouched for him.

I just hope it doesnt turn into Williams/Jones instead of Chambers/Fergie.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Great. Then you'll be just as disillusioned as Bretsky in about 3 years.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Hopefully, Yamon Figurs will be on the other end of that argument (e.g. Ravens fans asking why did we take Figurs when Jones was available?).

Packgator
05-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Hopefully it will turn out like the Jennings/Caldwell debate has turned out. At least so far.

Packgator
05-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Hopefully, Yamon Figurs will be on the other end of that argument (e.g. Ravens fans asking why did we take Figurs when Jones was available?).

Fans of the other teams that were taking WR's during that big 3rd round run
on receivers are probably questioning why they took "him" instead of one of the other guys.

Chances are only a couple of those taken during that run will have much of an impact. I hope our guy is one that does.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
A Boldin Sterling Ward Ehh !!

I'll order up one of those.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Sharpe comparisons are a bit much a week after the draft. I think Sterling was a sure fire HOFer if he didn't get hurt.

After James Loften. Sterling Sharpe was the most dominant WR I've ever seen in a Packer Jersey. Talk about your go to guy. That was Sterling Sharpe.

Don Hutson is our best all time WR.