PDA

View Full Version : Are The Pat's (now with R.Moss) - the best unit in football?

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10164800

Ravens D tops the charts among all league units

May 3, 2007

By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

Best unit in football.

Since the New England Patriots landed receiver Randy Moss in a trade last week, that's all anyone is saying about the Patriots offense.

Can you imagine Tom Brady throwing to Moss? Not only that, but the Patriots added Donte' Stallworth and Wes Welker to the passing game, so the presumption is this unit has ascended to the top among all 64 -- we don't count special-teams -- in the league.

But are they the best unit in the NFL?

They're close, but the answer is no. The best unit in the NFL is the Baltimore Ravens defense.

The Ravens ranked first last year in total defense, and they have 10 of 11 starters back and are still led by one of the best defensive minds in football in Rex Ryan.

The Ravens head into the 2007 season needing to replace only Adalius Thomas -- who signed with the Patriots -- and they're excited about replacement Jarrett Johnson. The Patriots offense and others have a chance to unseat the Ravens defense, but as of right now, Moss, Brady and that gang are still behind a unit that played at the highest level in 2006.

1. Baltimore Ravens defense

The skinny: Ryan's unit finished as the top-ranked defense in the league last season, and returns everybody except Thomas. But the Ravens feel that Johnson is a capable replacement. This is a star-studded group with Trevor Pryce, Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott, Ed Reed, Chris McAlister and, of course, Ray Lewis.

Key addition: Nobody. They just need to get Johnson to play close to the level of Thomas.

Player needed to make unit special: Corner Samari Rolle didn't play all that well last season. He has to revert close to his former self for this defense to move to an even higher level.

Still an area of concern: Age. With Rolle, Lewis, McAlister and Pryce getting up in years, it's starting to become an issue.

2. New England Patriots offense

The skinny: This is an offense that finished 11th in the league last season in total yards, despite not having any real go-to players in the passing game. The Pats were 12th in passing, but had just eight passing plays of 40 yards or more. Now they've added a bunch of receivers, the biggest threat being Moss. But don't forget that Stallworth can run, Welker is a crafty intermediate route runner and Kelley Washington has had some success with the Bengals. Brady should be one happy man, and we're not just talking about Gisele.

Key addition: Moss. He will revert back to his Pro Bowl form. This will be one of those deals we'll look back on and wonder how it got made.

Player needed to make unit special: Running back Laurence Maroney. He played well as a rookie, but then was bothered by an injury late in the season and his production tailed off. If he can be a 1,400-yard rusher, this will be an offense that is really scary.

Still an area of concern: It's being a nitpicky, since the line is so well-coached, but the talent up front isn't as good as some teams. If there is a little chink in the offense, the line might be it. Again, that's nitpicking.

3. Indianapolis Colts offense

The skinny: The Colts won the Super Bowl last year, and the starting offense is back intact. Not only that, but they've added a speed receiver in Anthony Gonzalez, who should excel in the slot. Second-year back Joseph Addai, who was good as a rookie, will be even better now. He has to be with Dominic Rhodes gone.

Player needed to make unit special: You hate to put it on a rookie, but it's Gonzalez. When Brandon Stokley was lost last year with an injury, it forced the Colts to use fewer three-receiver sets. That's a staple of their offense, which is why Gonzalez makes a lot of sense.

Still an area of concern: Backup running back. Losing Rhodes will force the Colts to rely on a more inexperienced player. The good news is that means Addai will get more carries. He's ready for it.

4. San Diego Chargers offense

The skinny: The Chargers return the entire starting offense from a unit that ranked fourth in the league in total offense. With LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates, this is a star-studded unit. New coach Norv Tuner is considered an offensive wizard.

Key addition: First-round pick Craig Davis has to help the deep passing game. They love this kid. We shall see.

Player needed to make unit special: Quarterback Philip Rivers. He showed well in his first year as a starter, but watch for even better play from him this season.

Still an area of concern: The receivers. Even with Davis on board, there are still questions about the go-to guy. It takes time for a rookie receiver to make an impact, so Vincent Jackson has to come up big.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars defense

The skinny: This is a unit that ranked third in the league last season, despite losing its best pass rusher (Reggie Hayward), starting middle linebacker (Mike Peterson), starting weak-side linebacker (Pat Thomas) and starting strong safety (Donovin Darius) for most of the 2006 season. Those four are all expected back healthy in 2007. Coordinator Mike Smith is the most-underrated coach in the league.

Key addition: First-round pick Reggie Nelson is a playmaking safety in the Ed Reed mold. He should be an immediate starter.

Player needed to make unit special: Defensive end Bobby McCray. He had 10 sacks in a situational role last year, but he has to prove he wasn't a one-year wonder.

Still an area of concern: Pass rush. With Hayward coming off a torn Achilles tendon and the right end spot still unsettled, that's a worry. They have to find a way to get more pressure on the quarterback.

6. Oakland Raiders defense

The skinny: It might seem crazy to see this unit here but Rob Ryan has the makings of a nice group. The Raiders ranked third in the league last year, and should be even better as young players like safety Michael Huff improve.

Key addition: They hope third-round pick Quentin Moses can impact their pass rush. There isn't a lot different on this unit from last season.

Player needed to make unit special: Huff. If he can become a Pro Bowl player, their secondary will be one of the best.

Still an area of concern: They need to get more than 34 sacks this season. Maybe Moses will help make that happen.

7. Chargers defense

The skinny: This defense finished 10th last season in yards given up and seventh in points allowed, which is good, but the unit's reputation is a lot better than that. The problem is the pass defense. The Chargers ranked 13th last season, and seventh against the run.

Key addition: They traded up to get safety Eric Weddle in the second round. He better be an impact safety right away for the pass defense to improve.

Player needed to make unit special: Corner Antonio Cromartie can become an elite corner. If he does, it will really help the pass coverage.

Still an area of concern: Inside linebacker. They let Donnie Edwards go, which means Matt Wilhelm takes over at one of the inside linebacker spots. He has to play well or the run defense will fall off.

8. New Orleans Saints offense

The skinny: The Saints were the fifth-ranked scoring offense last year, and top-ranked offense in terms of yards. With Reggie Bush a year older and Drew Brees more comfortable with the offense, they should be even better. Plus, Sean Payton is the best play-caller in the NFL.

Key addition: First-round pick Robert Meachem is another weapon that Payton can have at his disposal. This team needs Meachem's speed.

Player needed to make unit special: Bush. He will get more touches and he has to have more home-run plays.

Still an area of concern: Despite having Deuce McAllister and Bush, the Saints were only 19th in rushing last season. That has to improve.

9. Chicago Bears defense

The skinny: This unit carried the Bears to the Super Bowl, finishing fifth in the league in total defense and third in scoring defense. The Cover-2 scheme has a new coordinator with Ron Rivera gone. Bob Babich takes over, moving up from linebackers coach.

Key addition: The Bears added strong safety Adam Archuleta, a guy they think can become their John Lynch. Good luck. He was awful for the Redskins last year.

Player needed to make unit special: Dusty Dvoracek. They drafted him in the third round and he missed the season with an injury. With Tank Johnson facing suspension and Tommie Harris coming off injury, they need him to step in and play well at defensive tackle.

Still an area of concern: The Lance Briggs situation. Will he or won't he play for the Bears?

10. Cincinnati Bengals offense

The skinny: The Bengals were eighth in scoring offense last season and they should be near the top again. With Carson Palmer another year removed from that torn ACL, he should be even better.

Key addition: Second-round pick Kenny Irons could provide the big plays from the running back spot that this team has lacked.

Player needed to make unit special: Palmer. He's already good, damn good, but he needs to get in the Peyton Manning class. If he does, watch out.

Still an area of concern: Third receiver. With Chris Henry suspended for the first part of the season, they need a young player to emerge from a group of question marks.

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
The Patriots are the most talented unit in football, without a doubt.

Whether they are the best unit in football remains to be seen.

I do not think they will win the Super Bowl, though. I just think they have too many big names to be able to work succesfully as a group.

It wouldn't surprise if they did win it, though.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
The Patriots are the most talented unit in football, without a doubt.

Whether they are the best unit in football remains to be seen.

I do not think they will win the Super Bowl, though. I just think they have too many big names to be able to work succesfully as a group.

It wouldn't surprise if they did win it, though.

Randy Moss has to be pumped !!

Tom Brady very happy given the teams WR situation at this time last season.

What gifts Belichick gave to Tom Brady this off season.

BooHoo
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
New England has to be one of the better teams in the league. Now whether they are the best is questionable. They will have to prove that on the field. As I stated in another thread, I am anxious to see how New England, Denver, and San Fran do this season given their activity in the off season. Basicaly, will their work in Free Agency and moves in the draft give them a winning/playoff/superbowl team?

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
New England has to be one of the better teams in the league. Now whether they are the best is questionable. They will have to prove that on the field. As I stated in another thread, I am anxious to see how New England, Denver, and San Fran do this season given their activity in the off season. Basicaly, will their work in Free Agency and moves in the draft give them a winning/playoff/superbowl team?

The 49ers remind me too much of the recent Dan Snyder Redskins teams. Signing big-name guys for too much dough is the first indication. If I remember correctly, the Cardinals were supposed to be the best of the West, by now, with Edge and Fitzgerald, but they fell apart.

I say the 49ers will be 8-8 and lose the division by one game to the 'Hawks.

BooHoo
05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes, the Washington experiment in FA did not work at all. Will San Fran be the same? I was thinking there record might be more like 9-7 or 10-6.

oregonpackfan
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Remember Moss' infamous statement, "I play when I want to play?"

Will Moss be consistently ready to play for the Pats?

4and12to12and4
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Other than the fact that they will be getting used to an entire coaching staff change, I still think the Chargers are the best team in the league. Their defense is just below the Ravens, and their offense is in the top five. With Ladanian back there, and all those talented tight ends and their fullback, and o-line, they are a force to be reckoned with. Their front 7 on defense is dominating. I thought they should've won it all last year, and I think, unless the new defensive coordinator screws up the scheme they currently run, they will be difficult to beat, especially with Rivers now one year more experienced.

The patriots obviously have a very good defense, but they are aging, and I think will take a step back this year due to them slowing down because of their age. Brady is the key factor. He is a great QB, but other than him and possibly Moss if he returns to probowl form, don't scare me. I think the Chargers have an all around better team.

This is blasphemy here, but if Grossman ever gets it together, the Bears could be on there level also. But, IMHO, he is not the answer and will never be consistent at his position. He's too short for the way he throws the ball (quarter arm) and gets happy feet too quickly. So, as far as the NFC, I think that the Saints will be very tough to beat this year, especially if theredefense continues to improve. There new coach is an offensive mastermind, and is one step ahead of his opponents. He does a wonderful job of putting plays together that utilize the talents of his offensive players. I think he's one of the best if not the best coach in the NFL.

mraynrand
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think any of us are qualified to say who has the best unit in football. Was the Big Unit really the biggest unit? "Look at the Unit on that guy!"

Or if you really mean to talk about the eskimos - who has the best Inuit?

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think any of us are qualified to say who has the best unit in football. Was the Big Unit really the biggest unit? "Look at the Unit on that guy!"

Or if you really mean to talk about the eskimos - who has the best Inuit?

What are YOU drinking????!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Wouldja believe too much french roast coffee? I'm celebrating the election returns in France and coffee seemed like a better choice than torching cars. Vive le France!

The Shadow
05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I would have to say they are.
Esp. when all factors are considered.
They always seem to be the 'smartest' team around, in addition to having consistenly fine talent.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I would have to say they are.
Esp. when all factors are considered.
They always seem to be the 'smartest' team around, in addition to having consistenly fine talent.

Well they WERE the smartest team in football until this year WHEN THEY LOST THEIR MIND and overpaid all those free agents.

I'm just damn glad we're much much smarter than they are! :D

The Shadow
05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Field smart.
Player smart.
Coach smart.
I have no idea who financially astute they are.

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Their coach is only 'coach' smart within the confines of the football field, pretty stupid otherwise.

But then, that is where it matters most, right?

The Shadow
05-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Would that not be true of anyone's job performance?
If a doctor could perform brilliant operations, but can't
do a crossword puzzle, would he be a poor doctor?

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM

In essence, I agree. But there still is that small issue of 'character'.

b bulldog
05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
My early prediction is the Chargers beating ??? in the Super Bowl

Bretsky
05-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Pats connection started early
By John Tomase
Boston Herald Sports Writer
Friday, May 4, 2007

The seeds for Randy Moss’ arrival in New England were sowed long before last weekend. The mercurial wide receiver first expressed an interest in coming here last summer during Deion Branch’s holdout.
The story of how Moss became a Patriot is nearly as fascinating as the man himself, according to various sources with knowledge of both sides of the negotiation. He arrived last Sunday for a fourth-round pick after all-night talks primarily between Patriots [team stats] head coach Bill Belichick and Raiders owner Al Davis.
In reality, the courtship had started a year earlier, when Moss, miserable in Oakland, saw the Branch situation blow up and reached out to Belichick through an intermediary. He wanted the coach to know he’d love to play for the Pats.

The Pats weren’t in a position to acquire him at that point, but kept him in their plans.
The teams kept in touch this winter and the Patriots’ interest increased when the Raiders hired young Lane Kiffin as coach and Moss skipped offseason workouts. Wanting to take the team in a new direction, Kiffin determined that Moss had to go and shopped him earnestly before the draft.
The Patriots and Packers quickly emerged as frontrunners. Each was given permission to negotiate a new contract with Moss’ agent, Tim DiPiero. Contrary to public opinion, Moss was willing to take less than the $21 million remaining to go to Green Bay. However, the Packers only offered a fifth-round pick.
The question everyone had related to his wheels. While Moss’ representatives told anyone who would listen he could still run a 4.29 40-yard dash, those accounts were unverified.
However, according to ESPN, Belichick privately worked out Moss in Florida this offseason and came away convinced that he still possessed his blazing speed. Neither Belichick nor Moss would address the report this week.
While it might technically constitute tampering, the Raiders didn’t seem to care. They just wanted to get rid of Moss, and ultimately succeeded.
The player got what he wanted, too - it just took a year.

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 09:19 PM

It depends, if the crossword is on medical terminology.... :shock:

Bretsky
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
dang I'm bored with football lately; sure wish there was new news somewhere

Rastak
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
dang I'm bored with football lately; sure wish there was new news somewhere

Yea, if we all had any brains, which it is clear we don't, we'd be enjoying the weather and not give it a second thought until camp opened.

edit: I actually am enjoying the outdoors, just spending extra time looking for news that flat isn't there....

retailguy
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Each was given permission to negotiate a new contract with Moss’ agent, Tim DiPiero. Contrary to public opinion, Moss was willing to take less than the $21 million remaining to go to Green Bay. However, the Packers only offered a fifth-round pick.

Now, you're not going to claim that the Boston Herald is a "credible news source", are you? :P :wink:

We all know that Thompson was in it until the end. He offered a 4th, and probably a 3rd... but Moss just didn't want to play here! :wink:

(And I'm really grateful about that. :P )

Joemailman
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Here are the 2006 stats of the receivers the Patriots have acquired:

Moss: 42 catches for 553 yards
Stallworth: 38 catches for 725 yards
Washington: 9 catches for 115 yards
Welker: 67 catches for 687 yards.

I guess it's a good group, but I think they've been over-hyped. If a lesser team had signed these guys, I wonder if everybody would be so impressed with them.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Here are the 2006 stats of the receivers the Patriots have acquired:

Moss: 42 catches for 553 yards
Stallworth: 38 catches for 725 yards
Washington: 9 catches for 115 yards
Welker: 67 catches for 687 yards.

I guess it's a good group, but I think they've been over-hyped. If a lesser team had signed these guys, I wonder if everybody would be so impressed with them.

And now... the QB's tossing the passes to those receivers:

Aaron Brooks/Andrew Walter
Donovan McNabb/Jeff Garcia
Carson Palmer
Joey Harrington.

A stellar group to be sure.... Carson is a stud, McNabb is not as good but good... So, you think those QB's might have had an impact on those stats? :P

the_idle_threat
05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Wouldja believe too much french roast coffee? I'm celebrating the election returns in France and coffee seemed like a better choice than torching cars. Vive le France!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is outstanding.

GrnBay007
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Someone....I think during the draft thread....posted something about teams trying to buy a Super Bowl being jinxed. Don't remember the exact wording, but that was the jest of it and I liked it. :P

So there!! Sorry Bill, Tom and Randy. Bummer for you. :lol:

Merlin
05-08-2007, 08:37 AM
The Patriots on paper have the most talented team in the NFL on offense. I seem to remember another team that wears purple that "on paper" had a very talented offense as well.

Nuff' said

Packnut
05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Pats will win the SB. They have an outstanding QB with enough talent around him to get the job done. Maroney is on his way to being a stud and will have a solid year.

Merlin
05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
I wish we had Maroney. I am not so sure about the Super Bowl though. They normally make it there with average players who play well as a team. Anyone who has a "me" attitude usually doesn't stick around longer. I will be surprised if they do because for the first time they have too much talent.

packinpatland
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
" because for the first time they have too much talent."

I can't wait for the day that becomes our problem.

packers11
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I think these three teams could beat the PATS...

Broncos
Colts
Chargers

The Pats still have issues, I think ASANTE still is "holding out"... Without Asante, they are really screwed in the secondary...

packers11
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Out of the teams I named, all of them are better than the PATS...

The broncos D - Champ Bailey / Dre Bly... (Randy Moss who?)
O - Javon Walker (No asante, whos covering him?) / M-Bell - T Henry 1-2 punch...

San Diego D - Steroids Boy and Phillips
O - RIVERS , LT, Gates

Colts D - Sanders, (they lost a lot of players)
O - They stacked it once again (Gonzalez,Harrison,Wayne,Addai,Manning)

We fail to relaize, but these three teams are just as good as the Patriots... Any of these four teams, (PATS,Colts,Broncos,Charers) would destroy ANY nfc team in the Superbowl :( ...

I know you play games in september, not in May, but i'm just saying on paper... AFC looks godly once again and the Patriots don't look so dominant in my eyes... They have a lot of competition in the AFC...

Another team that could pose a threat is Baltimore, (if there offense steps it up)... THAT D is insanely good...

packinpatland
05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
"We fail to relaize, but these three teams are just as good as the Patriots... Any of these four teams, (PATS,Colts,Broncos,Charers) would destroy ANY nfc team in the Superbowl ... "

In a Pacino voice.............Any Given Sunday :wink:

packers11
05-08-2007, 10:58 AM
"We fail to relaize, but these three teams are just as good as the Patriots... Any of these four teams, (PATS,Colts,Broncos,Charers) would destroy ANY nfc team in the Superbowl ... "

In a Pacino voice.............Any Given Sunday :wink:

I know I know... :D ... Look at the Texans beating the Colts last year... I'm just saying... "ON PAPER" ... But we all know "ON PAPER" doesn't get people to far... aka the SKINS

Merlin
05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
And the pre-season Paper Champions of all time, the Minnesota Vikings...

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Still New England has to be one of the teams to beat. I wish we had Brady (after Bret retires in four years of course)!