PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone hoping for TE Ben Patrick in the 6th Round?

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/1206817

Ben Patrick Height: 6-4 Weight: 270 Position: TE College: Delaware

OVERVIEW

After four seasons at Duke, including three with the varsity as an H-back, Patrick decided to transfer to the University of Delaware for his final college season in 2006. As a Blue Devil, Patrick never had a quality quarterback to get the ball to him, and his decision to transfer proved to be a wise move as he went on to lead all Division 1AA tight ends in receiving as a senior.

At Jenkins High School, Patrick was rated the 15th-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com. He was rated the second-best tight and 41st-best overall prospect in the state of Georgia by Super Prep. The Georgia High School Coaches Association named him the Southeast Georgia Player of the Year in 2001, as he also garnered all-city and All-Southeast Region accolades from Super Prep.

The team's Most Valuable Player competed as a quarterback, tight end, linebacker and punter in 2001. He led the team in passing yards, receptions and tackles that season. Patrick also lettered in baseball and basketball.

Patrick enrolled at Duke in 2002, spending the season on the scout team adjusting to playing tight end. In 2003, he was a third-team Freshman All-American selection by The Sporting News. He appeared in 10 games, starting against North Carolina. The redshirt freshman finished fifth on the team with 17 catches for 218 yards (12.8 avg.) and one touchdown. He was named a co-recipient of the team's inaugural Challenge Award.

In 2004, Patrick started six of 11 games at H-back. The team captain became only the third tight end in 30 seasons to lead the team in receptions, catching 32 passes for 311 yards (9.7 avg.) and a touchdown. In 2005, he started eight of 10 games, leading the team for the second consecutive year with 252 yards on 30 catches (8.4 avg.).

Patrick transferred to Delaware for the 2006 season. For the third time in his career, he led his team in receptions and also led the Division 1-AA tight ends with a career-high 64 catches for 639 yards (10.0 avg.) and six touchdowns.

In 31 games at Duke, Patrick started 15 times. He gained 781 yards with two touchdowns on 79 catches (9.9 avg.) and also recorded one solo tackle.

For his collegiate career, Patrick started 24 of 42 games. He caught 143 passes for 1,420 yards (10.3 avg.), including eight touchdowns.

ANALYSIS

Positives:

Has a thick frame with adequate muscle tone, smooth skin, good chest and arm thickness, good bubble, big shoulders and good upper body muscles with a frame that could carry at least another 10 pounds of bulk … Compensates for a lack of speed with good balance and body control through his route progression … Has good balance with the ball in his hands, running with a normal stride … His body control, hand/eye coordination and large hands will generally see him catch most balls away from his frame … His hands and size give quarterbacks a good short-area target, as he can bounce off defenders … Knows how to use his size and reach to get a clean push off the jam and is too big for second-level defenders to attempt to try and reroute him … Best when sitting down underneath … Knows how to use his body to push and leverage defenders and while no explosion is evident, he does a good job of using his frame to shield the ball from defenders … When he uses his body and squares his shoulders, Anderson is a load to bring down in isolated coverage … Won't win any foot races, so he has to use his power base to break tackles … Has good balance and body lean to gain valid yardage after the catch … Too stiff to extend and reach for the ball at its high point, but does have the ability to look the ball in and catch away from the frame … Does a good job of squaring his shoulders after the catch and has the functional flexibility (yet has stiff hips), to turn and run with the ball … Might show some flinch working in a crowd, but he has no problems catching outside his frame … Gets most of his separation by squaring his shoulders and generating the leg drive to break tackles.

Negatives:

Methodical mover who lacks suddenness or good timed speed, but is effective getting a clean release and into his routes when working in the short area … Despite his size, Patrick is more of a finesse type who will shy away from contact, especially when asked to block … Has good strength, but seems to lack the desire to sustain and defenders can push him back into the pocket, making him a liability in pass protection … Lacks the quick-twitch moves or second gear to get into his routes quickly … Labors when running longer routes and is better served working in the short area over the middle than having him attack the second level … Doesn't have the speed to separate or the loose hips to elude … Has good hand/eye coordination, but seems to back off confrontations in a crowd … Has the upper body strength to make reach blocks or neutralize linebackers at the second level, but lacks the lower body strength and hand placement to lock on and sustain when blocking along the line … Gets too narrow in his stance and lacks good footwork in his kick slide.

Compares To: Mike Seidman-Carolina … Patrick is a very inviting short-area target with natural hands and the size to shield the ball from defenders … He lacks good technique and urgency as a blocker, and does not have the valid speed to be a vertical threat … He is best when used on controlled or underneath routes, as he shows good ball security.

INJURY REPORT
2003: Sat out the Florida State (9/27) and Maryland (10/11) games with a leg contusion.

2005: Did not play vs. Virginia Military Institute (9/17) with an unconfirmed foot sprain.

2006: Limited in August camp with a foot sprain.

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 4.88 seconds in the 40-yard dash … 405-pound bench press … 560-pound squat … 32 3/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Jenkins (Savannah, Ga.) High School, playing football for head coach Rick Bond … Rated the 15th-best tight end prospect in the country by Rivals.com … Rated the second-best tight and 41st-best overall prospect in the state of Georgia by Super Prep … The Georgia High School Coaches Association named him the Southeast Georgia Player of the Year in 2001, as he also garnered all-city and All-Southeast Region accolades from Super Prep … The team's Most Valuable Player competed as a quarterback, tight end, linebacker and punter in 2001 … Led the team in passing yards, receptions and tackles that season … Also lettered in baseball and basketball.

African/African American Studies major … Son of Jacqueline and Freddie Patrick, Sr … Brother, Freddie, Jr., played football at Chattanooga from 1995-98 and earned GTE Academic All-District honors … Born Aug. 23, 1984 … Resides in Savannah, Ga.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
ROUND 7

# Sel# Team Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

5 215 Arizona Patrick, Ben TE 6-4 270 Delaware

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
It wouldn't of been a bad pick, but he is just too short to be able to be a successful in this league.

woodbuck27
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
It wouldn't of been a bad pick, but he is just too short to be able to be a successful in this league.

Uhhhh !??

Greg Olsen Height: 6-4 Weight: 252 Position: TE College: Miami (Fla.)

pittstang5
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe hoping, for me, is too strong of a word. But I was "surprised" the Pack didn't take him in the sixth round. I was even surprised they didn't take him in the 5th. From everything I read, he was slated to go as high as in the 2nd and as low as in the 4th, but he kept falling. I guess all 32 teams knew something I didn't.

BooHoo
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought he would have been a good pick in the 6th round. I wonder what TT actually thought of him.

pittstang5
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Gotta disagree here. Height alone has nothing to do with whether a person will be successful in the NFL. Shannon Sharpe was 6'2" and was a pretty decent TE. I'm not saying Patrick is the next Sharpe, but....well, you know what I mean.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Depends on what source you go with. Many reported Patrick measured closer to 6'3" at the combine, and Olsen was closer to 6'5".

Lurker64
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Uhhhh !??

What makes you believe Olsen can be a success in this league?

KYPack
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Uhhhh !??

Ya might be right, Lurk.

Olsen can't get the college boys blocked, let alone NFL pluggers and safties.

He's a spectacular route runner and reciever.

mraynrand
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Even though he has a "Good Bubble" (The equivalent of saying he has a nice ass), I was more interested in Spaeth from MN. Pittsburgh picked him just before we got Jones, if I remember correctly. I think he'll be a tough guy to defend, though I don't think he's great after the catch and his blocking needs works. Big target though, runs good routes.

esoxx
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM

Uhhhh !??

Which you could say about just about any player in the draft.

The Shadow
05-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Was anyone hoping for Ben Patrick in the 6th round?

Undoubtedly.
But not me.

Lurker64
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

I'm just saying, arguing that Ben Patrick will be good in this league by comparing him to another player who we don't know will be any good in this league isn't exactly a compelling argument.

the_idle_threat
05-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Even though he has a "Good Bubble" (The equivalent of saying he has a nice ass) ...

That's what "good bubble" means??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I was wondering ... but now I'm kinda glad I didn't ask. :!:

Bretsky
05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
ya gotta think TT felt Ben Patrick would stink or he'd probably have drafted him. Here's one where I just defer to the Snapper.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm just saying, arguing that Ben Patrick will be good in this league by comparing him to another player who we don't know will be any good in this league isn't exactly a compelling argument.

Wohoooaa !

I'm simply comparing my info. on the respective height comparison of Greg Olsen and Ben Patrick in response to Ballhawk's post.

Greg Olsen was consistently rated as the player that would be picked out of the available TE's first. He in fact went in the first round.

The fact of his height Vs any other TE's height isn't the predominating factor of that result I'm guessing.

I say you draft a college player based on his talent as a football player,his character, intelligence etc. The potential that he offers to your team.

The question I present is clear.

Were any members of this board surprized that TT didn't draft Ben Patrick in the 6th or otherwise did any member hope for that result?

:) GO PACKERS !

gureski
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
No, I wasn't surprised that Thompson didn't draft Patrick in the 6th or 7th rounds and the reason why is because it was clear to me, based on Patrick's college career, that the guy was a phony who only was mentioned as a sleeper prospect because of the media's thirst to nail Division IAA sleeper picks.

I've commented on this multiple times and I always say the same thing. Patrick was nothing but hype. You look at his career and you see a guy who was at Duke for 4 years and did NOTHING impressive. He received playing time as a starter and did NOT stand out. Before his senior year, Patrick transferred down to Division IAA. An average starting TE in Division IA, Patrick became a very good TE when matched up against Division IAA talent. Despite being matched up against lesser talent, Patrick did NOT post eye-popping numbers in 2006. What more do you need to prove the kid is NOT some stud in waiting?

Now, on to the media hype...

Because he was a Division IA player who was playing in Division IAA, the media and several draft experts brought Patrick's name up regarding the subject of Division IAA sleeper prospects. He was brought up by default. He was brought up because he was amongst the best Division IAA TE prospects, not because he was a legitimate prospect that people should dive at.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve to be drafted, I'm merely pointing out that he was overhyped by many. Going in the 7th round is exactly where Patrick deserved to go. It's as simple as that. He's a player you take a chance on. Nothing more. He didn't do anything to be considered a mid-round choice, like many thought he would be. So, no, I'm not shocked THompson didn't take him and I'm not shocked he went in the 7th round. That's where he should've gone.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
No, I wasn't surprised that Thompson didn't draft Patrick in the 6th or 7th rounds and the reason why is because it was clear to me, based on Patrick's college career, that the guy was a phony who only was mentioned as a sleeper prospect because of the media's thirst to nail Division IAA sleeper picks.

I've commented on this multiple times and I always say the same thing. Patrick was nothing but hype. You look at his career and you see a guy who was at Duke for 4 years and did NOTHING impressive. He received playing time as a starter and did NOT stand out. Before his senior year, Patrick transferred down to Division IAA. An average starting TE in Division IA, Patrick became a very good TE when matched up against Division IAA talent. Despite being matched up against lesser talent, Patrick did NOT post eye-popping numbers in 2006. What more do you need to prove the kid is NOT some stud in waiting?

Now, on to the media hype...

Because he was a Division IA player who was playing in Division IAA, the media and several draft experts brought Patrick's name up regarding the subject of Division IAA sleeper prospects. He was brought up by default. He was brought up because he was amongst the best Division IAA TE prospects, not because he was a legitimate prospect that people should dive at.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve to be drafted, I'm merely pointing out that he was overhyped by many. Going in the 7th round is exactly where Patrick deserved to go. It's as simple as that. He's a player you take a chance on. Nothing more. He didn't do anything to be considered a mid-round choice, like many thought he would be. So, no, I'm not shocked THompson didn't take him and I'm not shocked he went in the 7th round. That's where he should've gone.

OK ! You wern't jacked for him. :)

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 03:06 PM

Uhhhh !??

Do you have an inside Lurker64, that Greg Olsen can't be a success?

At the risk of repeating myself.

How many mocks can you find where he wasn't the first TE taken in this years draft?

Have you read alot of negative about Greg Olsen Lurker64?

All I read is good about his talent and ability to bring the big play to his NFL team.

That of course would be da Bears. Many are saying that Olsen may be huge for the development of their young QB.

Is it this?

Are you indicating Lurker64?

That a fan can"t scrutinize all that"s available on the internet regarding college prospects, and watch college games on TV. Arrive at some informed opinion on a particular college player.

Even go so far as hope that his team may draft him.

Lets go back to Greg Olsen and where he was before entering College as an attempt to see if he shows consistency:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6767102

How top draft picks rated as preps

Let's take a close look at the top 100 draft picks from this years draft and see where they were ranked coming out of high school for their respective classes of 2002, '03 and '04.

31. Greg Olsen (TE — '03) Miami - Drafted by Chicago Bears
Five-star, No. 1 ranked TE, No. 20 overall prospect, National Top 100

Here's a link for some more ink on this fine TE prospect for our rival.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2435676

Sorry that"s a lousy link. This one that follows is better:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/olsen_greg

Lurker64
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
He can't, and won't, block anybody. I don't care if he was the #1 tight end on everybody's board, that doesn't mean he'll be a good player. To really be a success in this league, you have to be at least adequate at all parts of your position.

Moreover, before we've seen them play a down in the NFL, there's no compelling reason to suspect ANYBODY who gets drafted will be a success (or a bust), no matter where they're ranked or where they were taken. Olsen, like everybody else in the draft, is an unknown quantity at the NFL level. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll be out of the league in three years. You don't know, I don't know, the folks writing the scouting magazines don't know either.

I just personally don't like him as a TE since, as I said before, he can't and won't block anybody.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 05:12 PM
He can't, and won't, block anybody. I don't care if he was the #1 tight end on everybody's board, that doesn't mean he'll be a good player. To really be a success in this league, you have to be at least adequate at all parts of your position.

Moreover, before we've seen them play a down in the NFL, there's no compelling reason to suspect ANYBODY who gets drafted will be a success (or a bust), no matter where they're ranked or where they were taken. Olsen, like everybody else in the draft, is an unknown quantity at the NFL level. Maybe he'll be great, maybe he'll be out of the league in three years. You don't know, I don't know, the folks writing the scouting magazines don't know either.

I just personally don't like him as a TE since, as I said before, he can't and won't block anybody.

Got ya ! There's this to support your views:

Not physical as a blocker and leans on opponents. Easily brought down at the point of attack running after the reception. Does not show a lot of playing strength.

and fr. here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/olsen_greg

NegativesOn Greg Olsen:

Because of a lack of explosion, he does not appear as fast as his timed speed indicates, but he has the agility to adjust and get under the pass once he is on the move …

Needs to do a better job of recognizing the blitz and pass rush, as he appears slow at times to slide in pass protection …

Must show better urgency taking angles to block along the perimeter (slow to kick out and block for the outside running game) …

Has good short-area quickness and strength to power through a hold-up, but needs to be more active with his hands to get a clean release …

Will sometimes be late into his route when he fails to use his hands to defeat the press …

Lacks the vertical explosion to get deep consistently, but can power through arm tackles to gain additional yardage after contact …

While Olsen is good at uncovering, he needs to do it with better consistency, as he tends to run to spots on the field (see 2006 Houston and Virginia Tech games) …

The staff says that Olsen has excellent field vision, but when used in critical situations on third-down plays, he lacks consistency, converting only 7 of 30 third-down plays over the past two seasons …

His focus is erratic at times, as he has the natural hands to reach and pluck away from his frame, but has had several drops because he prefers to let the ball absorb into his body … Has good vertical agility, but needs to improve his timing, as he had 16 passes deflected out of his hands over the past two seasons (see 2006 North Carolina and Maryland games and 2005 Florida State and Georgia Tech contests) …

Needs to show a better understanding for gaining leverage on pulls and sweeps (gets too erect in his stance and needs to sink his hips better).

This doesn't seem a bad thing (woodbuck27) He"s just a draft pick when it's all examined.:

Compares To … Jeremy Shockey, N.Y. Giants (Miami, Fla.) … Olsen and Shockey fit the mold of classic Hurricane tight ends -- big, quick, strong and superb underneath receivers. Olsen still has room to grow physically and needs to improve his timing to snag passes at their high point. With his running stride and long arms, he is an inviting target over the middle.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Depends on what source you go with. Many reported Patrick measured closer to 6'3" at the combine, and Olsen was closer to 6'5".

Scouts have Greg Olsen at 6'-6'' and 254 lbs.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Waiver:

This thread simply involves a question and isn't meant to raise or incur any antagonism or wrath. :)

Jaysus !! Packer fans. Why so jumpy?

Afterall ! Ted has it all. . . under control.