PDA

View Full Version : What type of music do you like the most?

Charles Woodson
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Just curious to see the variety, yes i know we prob. have a million of these threads but yea

For me i am a huge Alt. Rock person

Jimx29
05-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Metal. The harder the better

Joemailman
05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
In recent years, most of the music I've bought would fall into the Alt Country field. People like Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Steve Earle, Tift Merritt, Hank Williams III. Much of my older stuff is mainstream rock...Dylan, Springsteen, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers.

Charles Woodson
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
In recent years, most of the music I've bought would fall into the Alt Country field. People like Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Steve Earle, Tift Merritt, Hank Williams III. Much of my older stuff is mainstream rock...Dylan, Springsteen, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers.

you got some nice stuff in there. i espically like the rock

Scott Campbell
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I like alternative conventional.

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I like alternative conventional.

And throw in some bluesy southern rock. And maybe a little Aerosmith for good measure.

oregonpackfan
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I like a wide variety of music. The main criteria for me is that is has to be performed well.

The two kinds of music I don't like are Rap and Heavy Metal.

Charles Woodson
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Anybody like Linkin Park?

Iron Mike
05-09-2007, 06:40 PM
In recent years, most of the music I've bought would fall into the Alt Country field.

You should buy some Maria McKee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnaANP3cxDg

Little Whiskey
05-09-2007, 07:44 PM
bet you can't guess my choice :)

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Acid Rock? No, wait--classic polka!!! :violin:

Little Whiskey
05-09-2007, 07:52 PM

no and actually.....okay. its a german thing.

over here we have a little german hall that serves a fish fry and polka music once a month. the grandparents love it. and the fish and beer is outstanding. the live music is only polka. kinda cute to see the old q-tips out dancing like they did back in their twenty's

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I knew it!!! :mrgreen:

BallHawk
05-09-2007, 08:36 PM
My three music categories I like are....

Indie Rock: The Shins, TV on the Radio, Augustana, Louis XIV......

Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington.....

Piano/Orchestral: Ray Charles, Final Fantasy Soundtracks, Bach, Mozart.....

packinpatland
05-10-2007, 07:11 AM

over here we have a little german hall that serves a fish fry and polka music once a month. the grandparents love it. and the fish and beer is outstanding. the live music is only polka. kinda cute to see the old q-tips out dancing like they did back in their twenty's

You could so live in Wisconsin!! :lol:

Little Whiskey
05-10-2007, 11:52 AM

You could so live in Wisconsin!! :lol:[/quote]

I used to. when i tell friends about the fish fry's on friday, and that every restraunt had one.....even mickey d's. they don't believe me. the truth be told, this fish at this hall is better than most i've had in Wisconsin. it is absolutly outstanding!

oregonpackfan
05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I knew it!!! :mrgreen:

"Roll out the barrell.... :oops:

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 06:38 PM
It's a barrell of fun!! (ok, that's really bad...)

packinpatland
05-10-2007, 07:32 PM
It's a barrell of fun!! (ok, that's really bad...)

But at the same time pretty good! :lol:

Merlin
05-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I guess the only thing I don't like (or understand) is Jazz. There is nothing worse then listening to the same instruments for two hours play almost the exact same solos every song. AND, they normally don;t keep the same beat with everyone else. just sounds like a jumbled mess to me!

MadtownPacker
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
The two kinds of music I don't like are Rap and Heavy Metal.Thats the devil music I tell ya!! :P

I like everything if it sounds good but back in the days I was heavily into Rap from NWA to Too Short to 2Live Crew. Never really liked the NY stuff. Maybe Im just biased. The Dirty South stuff has good sound and thumps the trunk but I can only take so many grunts in one jam.

R&B, some of the oldies stuff, and 80s type of Rock are always good. Some of the Reggaeton stuff is good too. Hell i might even find a country jam or two I like.

Confession - I use to listen to Micheal Jackson before he made "Bad".

oregonpackfan
05-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Madtown,

I hope you did not do all the skin bleaching and cosmetic surgery that Jackson did to himself! :o

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
I guess the only thing I don't like (or understand) is Jazz. There is nothing worse then listening to the same instruments for two hours play almost the exact same solos every song. AND, they normally don;t keep the same beat with everyone else. just sounds like a jumbled mess to me!

Jazz is really a "love it or hate it" type of music. I love it because the improvisation it takes and the smooth sound good jazz makes. If you listen to just "any" jazz it can sound jumbled and messy.

Listen to songs like Flamenco Sketches by Miles Davis or Summertime by John Coltrane, they're all wonderful pieces. Jazz Musicians, the good ones, are musical geniuses. If you listen to Wynton Marsalis talk about musical composition it's outstanding the way he thinks.

Speaking of musical composition, another guy I'm a huge fan of is George Gershwin. Rhapsody in Blue is obviously his most famous, but his other works like American in Paris, Concerto in F, and Porgy and Bess are all fantastic.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2007, 08:45 PM

Madtown,

I hope you did not do all the skin bleaching and cosmetic surgery that Jackson did to himself! :oNah, it was before the wierdness started but I did want one of those cool red leather jackets with all the zippers. :oops:

Scott Campbell
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Jazz is really a "love it or hate it" type of music. I love it because the improvisation it takes and the smooth sound good jazz makes. If you listen to just "any" jazz it can sound jumbled and messy.

Night in Tunisia.

mraynrand
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I enjoy public domain songs with original lyrics.

superfan
05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I like everything if it sounds good but back in the days I was heavily into Rap from NWA to Too Short to 2Live Crew.

Same here. I've mellowed a bit but still keep coming back to the same stuff. I'm like the 30's white guy in Office Space, crank the rap but turn it down when the OG pulls up next to me. :twisted:

the_idle_threat
05-11-2007, 03:45 AM
I like everything if it sounds good but back in the days I was heavily into Rap from NWA to Too Short to 2Live Crew.

Same here. I've mellowed a bit but still keep coming back to the same stuff. I'm like the 30's white guy in Office Space, crank the rap but turn it down when the OG pulls up next to me. :twisted:

Are you a Michael Bolton fan? :D

Iron Mike
05-11-2007, 07:09 AM

Are you a Michael Bolton fan? :D

What...that no-talent ass-clown????
http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/bolton/bolton2.jpg

BallHawk
05-11-2007, 07:28 AM

Night in Tunisia.

You dislike it or you like it?

Scott Campbell
05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
One of my favorites.

Little Whiskey
05-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Hell i might even find a country jam or two I like.

a mexican redneck..........what are your feelings about the NRA??? :)

MadtownPacker
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM

I dont like that they expect me to register my weapon. Its my gun and Ill shoot it when/where I want to!

But I like that Heston dudes stance.

GBRulz
05-11-2007, 03:02 PM

IMO, there is only one way to listen to jazz and blues...which is live. I love going to Chicago and finding a good live band playing, but to listen to it on the radio or a CD, no thanks.

I prefer alternative rock, my fav band of all time is Stone Temple Pilots. But, i'll listen to anything as long as it isn't country.

packinpatland
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Years ago, and I do mean alot of years, we were in Greenwich village, we stopped in a little jazz bar. The guitar player from the band Iron Butterfly was there, alone sitting in a corner, strumming. We ended up staying till they locked up. Memorable.

packinpatland
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
This sounds like one of those uban legends.

Awhile ago, in the early 70's, maybe 60's, my uncle was sitting in a bar on Nantucket. It was right next to the dock where the ferry came in. When the boat was ready to depart, it always gave two toots.
In the corner of the bar, which is named the Club Car, because that's what it actually is, was a pianno. This young guy started playing, and would play practically anything anyone named. And a few of his own songs.
When the two toots sounded, he got up to leave, one of the old timers said he should stick with it, he might have a future in music.
.......................Turned out to be Burt Bacharach.

BallHawk
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM

IMO, there is only one way to listen to jazz and blues...which is live. I love going to Chicago and finding a good live band playing, but to listen to it on the radio or a CD, no thanks.

I agree on your first point, there's nothing like listening to jazz live. However, listening to jazz on, say, your ipod is still enjoyable. Sports events are better live, concerts are better live, etc. that's just how most things are. One thing I hope to do is travel to New Orleans once it gets revitalized (I fear that may be a good 10 years, maybe longer.)

BallHawk
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
One of my favorites.

What's your favorite version of it? My personal favorite is the one done by The Jazz Messengers.

Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_v7mUGoKDc

Scott Campbell
05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
One of my favorites.

What's your favorite version of it? My personal favorite is the one done by The Jazz Messengers.

Here it is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_v7mUGoKDc

I liked my own bands version of it. Looking forward to listening to yours.

the_idle_threat
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM

I dont like that they expect me to register my weapon. Its my gun and Ill shoot it when/where I want to!

The NRA opposes gun registration, as we see how that turned out for folks in Canada, Australia, Britain, etc.

I might be OK with registration if it would stop there, but too often it is a convenient precursor to confiscation. No thanks!

Little Whiskey
05-13-2007, 07:58 AM

The NRA opposes gun registration, as we see how that turned out for folks in Canada, Australia, Britain, etc.

I might be OK with registration if it would stop there, but too often it is a convenient precursor to confiscation. No thanks!

exactly! mad your not pissed at the NRA its the damn gov't. The NRA wants you to have at least 3. you've got two hands, and the third is just incase the one of the first two jam up. kinda like an insurance policy....

GrnBay007
05-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Idle, I don't quite understand what you mean by that...can you explain?

digitaldean
05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
As for music, my favorites are:

1.) Stevie Ray Vaughan
2.) The Clash
3.) Erasure
4.) Montgomery Gentry
5.) U2 (mostly the earlier stuff)

BEARMAN
05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
" OZZY " ! :shock:

Rastak
05-14-2007, 07:44 PM
" OZZY " ! :shock:

I listened to OZZY for a lot of years.....76-82 almost everyday. Learned to play "paranoid album" on my bass front to back. I still like Sabbath's music.

Iron Mike
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I like it all!!!

Even the shitty stuff--like this:

http://www.myspace.com/kinguszniewicz

the_idle_threat
05-18-2007, 04:33 AM

Idle, I don't quite understand what you mean by that...can you explain?

I will do my best. :idea:

Basically, gun registration tells the government exactly where the guns are. Of course, this isn't all guns---just the ones owned by the law-abiding types who would register their guns in order to comply with the law.

Then, if the government decides to ban some or all of these guns (i.e. handgun ban), they know exactly which doors to knock on and which addresses to send stern letters to, offering the Hobson's choice of (1) a buyback, or (2) a visit from the BATFE. All the while, there's a convenient checklist of registered guns that can be used to ensure compliance. Of course, the only folks who get stung are those law-abiding types who registered their guns to begin with, who are not likely to be the ones committing crimes in the streets.

Perhaps this sounds like some kind of paranoid rant, but it has happened this way before.

See:

Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia):

Against a background of public support in the wake of the Port Arthur shootings and comparatively weak opposition from gun owners' organisations, sweeping laws were proposed for enactment in all states, which included mandatory gun licenses and registration of all firearms, and a near-complete ban on all semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, and all pump-action shotguns. . . .

The Federal Government introduced a 1% levy on income tax for a period of one year to finance the billion dollar "buy back" purchase and destruction of all previously legally-held semi-automatic rifles including .22 rimfires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns.

A comprehensive gun ban, and higher taxes too! Whoopee!

Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada):

"[Opponents of the Canadian Gun Registry] claim that their fears that registration would inevitably be used for confiscation of legally owned firearms have been proven by small scale confiscation of some types of firearms and the Liberals' promise to confiscate all handguns (http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2005/12/08/elxn-martin-guns.html) if elected in the 2006 general election."

Britain (http://www.guncite.com/journals/okslip.html):

Per the above source, handgun registration started in 1903, was extended in 1911 and 1920, and ultimately led to an outright ban---with very limited (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4162498.stm) exceptions for target shooters---in 1997. For other types of guns, one registration scheme led to another---with bans for most uses along the way---until:

Thanks to decades of . . . restrictions aimed at restricting entry into the shooting sports, the vast majority of the public has no familiarity with guns, other than what media choose to let them know.[127] Legal British gun owners now constitute only four percent of total households,[128] with perhaps another small percentage of the population possessing illegal, unregistered guns.[129] Given that many Britons have no personal acquaintance with anyone who they know to be a sporting shooter, it is not surprising that seventy-six percent of the population supports banning all guns.[130] Thus, the people who used long guns in the field sports--who confidently expected that whatever controls government imposed on the rabble in the cities who wanted handguns, genteel deer rifles and hand-made shotguns would be left alone--have been proven disastrously wrong.

And even municipalities in the U.S.A. (http://www.gunowners.org/fs0202.htm):

Registration and Confiscation

But why all the fuss about gun owner registration? Quite simply, gun registration has been used -- even in this country -- to later confiscate firearms. One such instance occurred in New York City just a few years ago.

It all began with promises made by New York City officials in the mid-1960s. They wanted to register long guns, over the vocal opposition of the city's gun owners. The city fathers promised they would never use such lists to take away firearms from honest citizens. But in 1991, the city banned (and soon began confiscating) many of those very guns.

Gun owners were ordered to get rid of their newly-banned firearms. Those who didn't comply were subject to having their firearms taken away.

For example, the Daily News reported in 1992 that "police raided the home of a Staten Island man who refused to comply with the city's tough ban on assault weapons, and seized an arsenal of firearms.... Spot checks are planned [for other homes.]"30

New York City officials do not hold a monopoly when it comes to showing bad faith.

California passed a ban on certain semi-automatic firearms in 1989. Banned guns could be legally possessed if they were registered prior to the ban. In the spring of 1995, one man who wished to move to California asked the Attorney General whether his SKS Sporter rifle would be legal in the state. The citizen was assured the rifle was legal, and based on that information, he subsequently moved into the state. But in 1998, California officials reversed course and confiscated the firearm.31

Since then, documents leaked from the office of the California Attorney General have showed that state officials were planning a mass-confiscation of privately owned firearms from citizens who had previously registered their guns.32

The semi-automatic firearms in question were registered with the state pursuant to former Attorney General Dan Lungren's instructions. Lungren had granted an amnesty to thousands of gun owners and allowed them to register their guns after the initial deadline for doing so had lapsed.33

Despite the good faith shown by gun owners, the California government later ordered these gun owners to dispose of their weapons.

How did the authorities know whom to contact to notify them to turn in their weapons? The registration lists, of course.

This proves the point that the ultimate goal of registration is to facilitate confiscation.

Not surprisingly, gun registration has also led to confiscation in several places outside of the United States, including Greece, Ireland, Jamaica and Bermuda.34

More recently, full-fledged confiscation of firearms has taken place in England and Australia. Gun bans that were passed in 1997 resulted in massive turn-ins of firearms.35

Wherever they existed, registration lists greatly facilitated the confiscation. For example, one Australian news service reported that:

"Victoria's high compliance is due to its long-established registration scheme, which will tell police where to look for illegal firearms after 1 October. The absence of a registration scheme and lower compliance elsewhere has led to speculation that up to two million illegal guns may still be out there.36"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any questions? :mrgreen:

mraynrand
05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Idle,

If that's the way you feel, then you should support Huckabee.

http://www.badgeplanet.co.uk/badges_large/i-love-huckabees.jpg

the_idle_threat
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM
I hated that movie. :P

I try to know something about politics and all, but the only thing I know about this Huckabee guy is his goofy name. As a contender, does he really have more credibility than Tommy Thompson?

I'm really discouraged by the so-called choices we'll likely have for the top job in '08.