PDA

View Full Version : The best athlete in the world?

]{ilr]3
05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Who is the best damn athlete in the world?

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6741576?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10035

scores for each category (1-10) and a total out of 50.

1. LADAINIAN TOMLINSON (Résumé)
Wow factor — LaDainian Tomlinson has played six years in the NFL. He ranks 12th on the NFL's all-time touchdown list. Wow. If he has another season like last year, he'll rank fourth after seven seasons. It's nuts. Score: 10.

Athletic ability — If you score between 25 and 29 on the Body Mass Index scale, you are considered overweight. Anything 30 and above is considered obese. At 5'10, 221 pounds, LaDainian Tomlinson scores out as a 32 on the BMI. And he runs a 4.4. This says more about the insanity of the BMI than it does about LT, but it sure is fun to think that, by one definition, an obese guy is the best athlete in the world. Score: 10.

Showmanship — Coaches practically beg their players to act like they've been there before. But that doesn't stop even prolific touchdown scorers like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson from becoming complete jackasses when they break the plane. LT actually acts like he's been there before, which he has, 111 times. Everyone may have their own definition of showmanship, but I'll take breaking tackles and breaking records over breakdancing any day. Score: 10.

Idolization — Tomlinson is not merely idolized, he is genuinely beloved. (And not just by fantasy football owners.) Do you think when he was wearing it former Charger QB John Hadl could have imagined a sea of people wearing No. 21 jerseys? Score: 10.

Things you've never seen before — Some backs have breakaway speed. Others have the power to run over middle linebackers. Some have soft hands. Others have perfect touch on option passes. Nobody — not even the great Walter Payton — did all these things as well as LaDainian Tomlinson does them. Which is why when he hangs it up, the Payton-Barry Sanders-Emmitt Smith debate will be about who is the second greatest running back of all time. Score: 10.

Total: 50

I would have to agree, the guy is amazing and IMO a class act. I thought him calling out the Patriots as turds for there actions wasnt that bad of a call. Anyone else saying would have been laughed out of the league.

Charles Woodson
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I dont agree with kobe as number 2, and especially getting a 10 in sportsmanship. I actually likee kobe, but there are better athletes.

gbpackfan
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I'd have to say....ME!

I'm a mad baller with sweet skillz dat killz!

I've got moves on top of moves!

My friends call me WHITE CHOCOLATE!

Okay, back to reality.

What is an athlete? Do you consider Tiger Woods an athlete?

If so, he's it. And I am NOT a golfer or a golf fan. I can just appreciate how hard of a sport it is.

I don't think it is L.T. though. Not yet at least.

Brando19
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I wonder where Lance Armstrong would be on that list?

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Superman has to rate pretty high.

BallHawk
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM

As does Jesus.

BallHawk
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM

If there's gonna be a cyclist on that list, it's gotta be the President, himself. Guy's got sick bike-handling skills. :D :wink:

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 09:34 PM

As does Jesus.

Yep, Jesus rates a lot higher than Superman.

BallHawk
05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

As does Jesus.

Then again, Jesus couldn't fly.

So, it depends, what determines a better athlete.....?

Walking on water

OR

Flying and having X-Ray Vision

Lynx4Ben
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
If Lance wasn't retired and he wasn't number 1 it would be a shame. However, he was probably left off due to retirement.

Brando19
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM

As does Jesus.

Then again, Jesus couldn't fly.

So, it depends, what determines a better athlete.....?

Walking on water

OR

Flying and having X-Ray Vision

Maybe we should just drop this?

Jimx29
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
If Lance wasn't retired and he wasn't number 1 it would be a shame. However, he was probably left off due to retirement.That and the fact that he's a HUGE prick

CyclonePackFan
05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Cael Sanderson.

Kiwon
05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas

Eating Champ - 5-5 / 105 pounds

http://www.sfgate.com/g/pictures/2005/05/25/ga_sonya.jpg

Scott Campbell
05-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Cael Sanderson.

From Heber City Utah.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Best "athlete" or most dominating "athlete".

Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and that swimmer are pretty dominating. All-time dominating.

sepporepi
05-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Lance Armstrong???

Since there are no points for substance abuse and betrayel not so high I suppose

mraynrand
05-09-2007, 03:01 AM
All time:

Jim Thorpe
Bo Jackson
Karl Malone
Eric Vota

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-09-2007, 06:41 AM
I dont agree with kobe as number 2, and especially getting a 10 in sportsmanship. I actually likee kobe, but there are better athletes.

I have to disagree big time. I would put Kobe number 1. I watch a lot of basketball and his skill are equal to Michael Jordan. Their is no better overall talent in the NBA.

However, I do agree that his sportsmanship rating should be a lower. He is a jerk and the reason why o'neal left.

sepporepi
05-09-2007, 07:11 AM
and that swimmer are pretty dominating. All-time dominating.

It's Michael Phelps :P.

He won 5 single titles at the world championchips in march and set 4 world records doing it. He was also faster than the 100F champion as starter of the 4*100F relay.

So one could argue he was cabeable of win 6 single titles which is amazing, since Mark Spitz won only 4.

LaFours
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Two words...Kurt Rambis.

Cheesehead4
05-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Jim Brown: best running back and lacrosse player ever.

If Federer could beat Nadal on clay, he'd be #1 for all-time and the next fifty years. With that achilles heal, it's tough to argue in his favor.

For the same reason, Lance Armstrong can't be considered. He raced in one major race per year, the Tour de France, and was able to prepare for this race and this race alone for his career. Most cyclists compete in a wide range of different events. If Tiger only played the Masters and Federer only at Wimbeldon, they'd be considered more highly that Armstrong.

Kobe make this list suspect.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't think it's that big of knock on Federer. Only 5 guys have won all 4 Grand Slams, and only Andre Agassi did it while playing on 4 different surfaces. Even the all-time greats haven't done that. Clay court tennis is just a totally different game than grass tennis or hard court tennis. That's why Rafael Nadal can set the record for consecutive clay court victories, and barely have a shot against Federer on anything else. I don't think it's a huge knock that Pete Sampras never won the French Open.

]{ilr]3
05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
What is an athlete? Do you consider Tiger Woods an athlete?

If so, he's it. And I am NOT a golfer or a golf fan. I can just appreciate how hard of a sport it is.

I agree, i think Tiger Woods is one of the most skilled at his game there has ever been. But if we call him an athlete, shouldnt we call the so called professional video game players athletes as well? BTW i think this is a totally insane suggestion, but at the same time, if TW is an athlete and all he does is walk around and hit a ball with some skill, then isnt a video game players who sits on his ass and click some buttons better than anyone else in the same catagory?

oregonpackfan
05-09-2007, 01:34 PM
All time:

Jim Thorpe
Bo Jackson
Karl Malone
Eric Vota

I agree that Jim Thorpe was proably the best all-around athlete of all time.

Several weeks ago, Sports Illustrated had an excellent article about Thorpe. Though I had more than a passing knowledge about Thorpe, the article pointed out a number of accomplishments about Thorpe of which I was not aware.

Whether the sport be football track and field, basketball, etc. Thorpe complete dominated his competitors.

Most of us remember how Michael Jordan dominated basketball but floundered when he tried Major Leage Baseball. He is also a fair to good golfer. Jordan excelled in just 1 sport.

Thorp was simply phenomenal.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Two words...Kurt Rambis.

ahhh ! Superman.

Patler
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Eric Heiden - won all 5 speed skating events at the 1980 Olympics and at one time had the world records in all 5 events.

That's sort of like winning the 100 meter dash, the 400, the 800, the 1600 meter and the marathon all at the same competition. No one has dominated at all distances like Heiden did. Heiden has been largely forgotten because of the later accomplishments of the US Hockey Team at the 1980 Olympics, but Heiden had a truly spectacular performance.

Note: I don't really put Heiden in the same class of athletes as Thorpe, Bo Jackson, etc. This was just a good excuse to bring up an athlete that I thing has not gotten the recognition his accomplishments deserved. :D

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Not to diminish Heiden's accomplishments, but I don't think it's comparable to a runner winning the 100, 400, 800, 1600, and marathon. A great accomplishment, but they are just different. You see guys in speed skating that can flourish at different distances. Same with swinning. Not in track. Phelps has been incredible too, but it wouldn't compare to a guy in track who could win at all of the distances.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Greatest among that group of current athletes?

They are all certainly great.

The process of elimination to arrive at the greatest might cause controversy, :)

Here goes:

How physical is tennis and golf Vs. basketball or football?

There goes Roger Federer and Tiger Woods both paving a road to being the greatest their sports have ever seen.

That leaves Lebron James and Kobe Bryant and LaDanian Tomlinson.

Compare the length of the schedule in Pro basketball Vs. the NFL.

I realize that NFL RB"s have a short shelf life but I'm eliminating LT based on length of schedule.

Down to Lebron James and Kobe Bryant.

James is certainly awesome in his domination since his arrival, but Kobe was here quite ahwile befor Lebron James.

Kobe may be criticized for some character (slash) personality issues but as a Pro BB player nobody since Michael Jordan dominates like Kobe Bryant.

My pick among these current athletes is Kobe Bryant.

All time top five.

1. Jim Thorpe Check out what this man was sometime and you may agree.

2. This is tough but I'll satisfy all you here :)
Michael Jordan.

3. Now as a Canadian I must say this:

How soon you Americans forget. :)

This is easy. Wayne 'the Great One' Gretzky. He totally dominated in the NHL.

4. Muhammed Ali. They don"t still call him 'The Greatest' for nothing

5. So many reaslly great athletes that I'll add one more. He won"t be a tennis player or golfer. :shock:

Number 5. is for me and this may seem a strange choice but he exemplifies so much in PRO sports as they are today. He also played the game well and was overall a wonderful man. He also cut his teeth before he arrived as a Dodger here in Montreal, Canada.

Of course I'm picking Jackie Robinson. Maybe when we really examine what he stands for he may be THE GREATEST.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Eric Heiden - won all 5 speed skating events at the 1980 Olympics and at one time had the world records in all 5 events.

He's an Orthopodic in SLC now, and patches up skiers with torn ACL's.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Two words...Kurt Rambis.

Trendiest eye wear anyway.

Patler
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Not to diminish Heiden's accomplishments, but I don't think it's comparable to a runner winning the 100, 400, 800, 1600, and marathon. A great accomplishment, but they are just different. You see guys in speed skating that can flourish at different distances. Same with swinning. Not in track. Phelps has been incredible too, but it wouldn't compare to a guy in track who could win at all of the distances.

In the old days, there were sprinters in track who did well at the 100 yard dash, 220 and quarter mile, and distance guys who did well at the half-mile, mile and two mile (to put it in old guy terms). Now days there is too much specialization for that. For the most part it is the same with speed skaters, you rarely see anyone excell at the extremes, both the sprint and distance events. No speed skater dominated the whole spectrum like Heiden, especially when you consider not just winning, but dominating all the distances.

Swimming has always been interesting to me because of the different strokes. I always admired the swimmers who dominated in multiple strokes over those who dominate a stroke over multiple distances.

Patler
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM

He's an Orthopodic in SLC now, and patches up skiers with torn ACL's.

He also has been one of the primary Orthopoedic Drs. for the Olympic team for quite a few years.

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I think we're getting at what I've been thinking reading this thread. That is, You can't really call any one athlete "the best athlete in the world" because each sport requires different strengths and different skill sets. When I used to work at the gym, the weightlifters used to tell me they were better athletes than I was. I invited them to take my class and not one of them made it through. They had muscles built for lifting and didn't have the endurance required for my "wimpy" little class. It's the same with sprinters vs. marathoners. Different training for the muscles.

Speaking of different training, I have seen Sonya Thomas at work and it is amazing to watch.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I think we're getting at what I've been thinking reading this thread. That is, You can't really call any one athlete "the best athlete in the world" because each sport requires different strengths and different skill sets. When I used to work at the gym, the weightlifters used to tell me they were better athletes than I was. I invited them to take my class and not one of them made it through. They had muscles built for lifting and didn't have the endurance required for my "wimpy" little class. It's the same with sprinters vs. marathoners. Different training for the muscles.

Speaking of different training, I have seen Sonya Thomas at work and it is amazing to watch.

We're discussing MALE athletes MJ.

Get back in the kitchen. :)

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
The MALE athletes were the ones that couldn't keep up.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
The MALE athletes were the ones that couldn't keep up.

Your trying to make a point?

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
In the old days, there were sprinters in track who did well at the 100 yard dash, 220 and quarter mile, and distance guys who did well at the half-mile, mile and two mile (to put it in old guy terms). Now days there is too much specialization for that. For the most part it is the same with speed skaters, you rarely see anyone excell at the extremes, both the sprint and distance events. No speed skater dominated the whole spectrum like Heiden, especially when you consider not just winning, but dominating all the distances.

Swimming has always been interesting to me because of the different strokes. I always admired the swimmers who dominated in multiple strokes over those who dominate a stroke over multiple distances.

I don't know. Chad Hedrick won three medals and finished in the top 6 in all 5 events this last Olympics, and that he was considered a major disappointment. There's a MUCH greater difference in a 100M dash and the marathon than the 1,000M and 10,000M in speed skating.

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
But could a marathoner speed skate 10,000 meters?

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Your point is? That when it comes to endurance that the female species is superior to the male?

MJZiggy
05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
No, my point is that muscles can be trained to do different tasks and a muscle trained for one task is going to be weak at another. Therefore you can't say that an athlete in any one sport is the best athlete in the world because he would be unable to compete at a high level in a different sport that requires different muscles and skills. You're the one who brought gender into it.

Patler
05-09-2007, 04:01 PM
No, my point is that muscles can be trained to do different tasks and a muscle trained for one task is going to be weak at another. Therefore you can't say that an athlete in any one sport is the best athlete in the world because he would be unable to compete at a high level in a different sport that requires different muscles and skills.

That's what makes Jim Thorpe especially, and Bo Jackson such interesting stories.

There was a guy in the 1960s who played in the NBA and was a pitcher in major league baseball. Any oldtimers remember his name?

Patler
05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't know. Chad Hedrick won three medals and finished in the top 6 in all 5 events this last Olympics, and that he was considered a major disappointment. There's a MUCH greater difference in a 100M dash and the marathon than the 1,000M and 10,000M in speed skating.

That just goes to my point, Hedrick wasn't able to win all 5 was he? No one other than Heiden has, and he was dominant in doing it.

Forget the marathon, how many 100 yeard dash men ever when a 1600, or even an 800? The 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 might be a better comparison to what speed skaters do. My point is there are distances races and sprints for both, and they require different techniques and different skills. Heiden dominated across the board for several years. Otherws have tried, and failed.

Speaking of dominating....another of my favorites....hurdler Edwin Moses.

Bossman641
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
From what I've heard Jim Thorpe.

As has been brought up, best athlete is difficult to define. Is it the most dominating athlete in a single sport or the one with the widest range of athletic abilities? I tend to agree with the second definition. While I think Tiger is a great golfer, I don't really see him as a great athlete.

I've always been more impressed by those who played more than one sport, such as Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders (even though I hate Deion).

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
That just goes to my point, Hedrick wasn't able to win all 5 was he? No one other than Heiden has, and he was dominant in doing it.

Not sure how it goes to your point. The dude finished top 6 in all 5 events, and it wasn't even news. There's little chance that anybody in the last 40 or the next 40 years would even come close to doing it in the running events that you listed. It's not because of specialization. It's because it's an apples and oranges comparison, and wouldn't even be plausible in track--whereas it's much more plausible that somebody will come along and repeat this in speed skating. Take nothing away from Heiden. What he did was remarkable. Greatest speedskater of all-time, and I'd say he's certainly one of the greatest athletes ever.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
No, my point is that muscles can be trained to do different tasks and a muscle trained for one task is going to be weak at another. Therefore you can't say that an athlete in any one sport is the best athlete in the world because he would be unable to compete at a high level in a different sport that requires different muscles and skills. You're the one who brought gender into it.

OK mj, and 'of course' your right.

Then I still go with basketball players over football players over tennis players over golfers.

oregonpackfan
05-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Harvey,

I have to agree with Patler about Eric Heiden's amazing accomplishments in speed skating. Patler hit it right on the head in comparing the distances in speed skating to track. Heiden was truly amazing in winning the sprints through the long distance skating.

While working in Wauwatosa, WI many years ago, I went to the old oudoor speed skating rink and rented a pair of speed skates to try on their Olympic speed skating rink.

At the time, I was in my mid-20's and running 35-40 miles a week. Despite my "good leg fitness" level, my thighs were burning after just several laps.

That winter, I rented the speed skates a couple of more times. Though my technique and skating endurance improved, I was nowhere near the level of the the regular speed skaters.

That experience gave me a deeper appreciation of Heiden's incredible 1980 Olympic 5 gold medal accomplishments.

sepporepi
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
500-10000m speed skating translates to

300-5000m running.

So a guy must win at least the 400m, 800m, 1500m and 5000m to have an about equal Bandwith. Maybe the 200m too. That won't happen for 2 reasons:

1. Heiden had to race only once per distance in trak and field it would be 4 races of 400m, 3 of 800m and 1500m and 2 of the 5000m. That's impossible in 2 weeks.

2.Too much money involved in track an field so much more specialization and less chances for an allrounder.

Back to Micheal Phelps:

He was the first to win national titles in 3 different strokes in one year (200Free, 200Fly and 200+400IM), also finished second in the 200Back, behin then World Record Holder Peirsol.

Now he holds the World Records for the same 4 distances and he did them all in 7 days. What makes it even more impressive is that that 7 days he had to swim each event 3 times (Heats, Semis, Final). All in all he had 17 races including the 100Fly and 2 relays.

Thats almost impossible to do, just too much.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Harvey,

I have to agree with Patler about Eric Heiden's amazing accomplishments in speed skating.

Wouldn't have anything to do with him being from Wisconsin, would it?

Actually, I'd put Phelps accomplishments right up there with Heiden. Amazing. If he does that in the Olympics, that will be an unreal feat. I just don't think you can compare somebody winning the five speed skating events to winning the 100M through marathon in track. Was one of the speed skating events a relay? Not that it would matter all that much.

Patler
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Not sure how it goes to your point. The dude finished top 6 in all 5 events, and it wasn't even news. There's little chance that anybody in the last 40 or the next 40 years would even come close to doing it in the running events that you listed. It's not because of specialization. It's because it's an apples and oranges comparison, and wouldn't even be plausible in track--whereas it's much more plausible that somebody will come along and repeat this in speed skating. Take nothing away from Heiden. What he did was remarkable. Greatest speedskater of all-time, and I'd say he's certainly one of the greatest athletes ever.

Of course it wasn't news...it was speed skating! No one cares! :D

But seriously, top six in 5 events isn't going to make any great waves. The guy didn't come close to what Heiden did, but it was news that he was trying to. And again, Heiden didn't just win 5 events at the Olympics, he dominated the events during his time.

My point is that it is very unusual for one competitor to be the best in a sprint event that takes 35 seconds, like the 500 meter, and one that takes 14 minutes, like the 10,000 meter, and everything inbetween. Maybe the comparison to the 100 meter and the marathon was too extreme, but how many 400 runners are competitive at the two mile? How many skaters have been? None, really. I don't look at a guy finishing sixth as coming even close.

Track has changed because of specialization. There was a time when all 100 yard dash men also ran the 220, and some even ran the 440. The best 220 guys were also good 100 and 440 guys. The best half-milers would run the quarter and the mile. Milers used to run the 880 and the 2 mile. Jim Ryan, Marty Liquori and others were solid half-milers, milers and two milers, and would win multiple events at competitions. Then, the dash men became just 100 and 220 guys, milers seldom dropped down, etc. Now, not all 100 meters runners are even competitive in the 200 or vice versa.

mraynrand
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I almost forgot Babe Ruth. I would put him in the category of 'natural' talent. I have no idea how the guy would have been in other sports but he was so dominating as a pitcher and hitter for his time it was unreal. He was one of the first athletes to formally 'train' for his sport - but that was mostly because he ate and drank so much and had to lose pounds.

About Heiden - the guy was a beast. Plus he was pretty damn good on the bike too. Pretty good genes there. His father is also an orthopod - worked in Madison - he biked a lot too, into his 60s as I last heard - could shame guys 30-40 years younger. I'll never forget those Olympics, with the Heiden family cleaning up in skating and the US team beating the evil empire.

mraynrand
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
My point is that it is very unusual for one competitor to be the best in a sprint event that takes 35 seconds, like the 500 meter, and one that takes 14 minutes, like the 10,000 meter, and everything inbetween. Maybe the comparison to the 100 meter and the marathon was too extreme, but how many 400 runners are competitive at the two mile? How many skaters have been? None, really. I don't look at a guy finishing sixth as coming even close.

In track it's almost impossible to excel at short and long distances. You need extreme power (more muscles) and fast twitch to run the short distances 100 and 200, but by the time you get up to the 1500 you're already into the skinny twig guys. The muscle type and body frame you need for the two extremes of running just aren't compatible. I don't know exactly how it compares with skating, but you would think it would be similar, making Heiden's accomplishments all the more impressive. Heiden was just an unreal physical specimen.

Pete10
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Dean Karnazes, Tyson Gay, or Lebron.

BallHawk
06-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't think you can pick a "Most athletic person" because there are so many ways to define athleticism. Is it speed, height, agility? Or is it strength? Perhaps it's versatility? There's no clearcut definition.

FritzDontBlitz
06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
i thought the best athletes in the world were decathletes?

LT can be the best football player, but lists like this are better left to the airheads at espn.

HAD TO EDIT THIS AFTER I SAW WHAT SITE THE LINK WAS FROM.

you guys do realize that fox and espn make up lame lists like this cuz they are too lazy to think up REAL programming?

lol peace out ya'll

packinpatland
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Your point is? That when it comes to endurance that the female species is superior to the male?

Yes.
Try being in labor for 18-20 hours.

Rastak
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Yes.

I would never be so stupid yo get myself in that situation. :wink:

Isn't that more of laying around suffering than endurance? * ducks the vase tossed at my head *

MJZiggy
06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Yes.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right. And so is Rastak. If it were up to men, the species would die out because they'd never be able to take it. (Rastak, I'm calling Mrs. Rastak... :P )

Bretsky
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Greatest athlete of all time was Jackie Robinson if you don't penalize him for the time period.

Baseball wasn't even his best sport. Guy was an absolute stud at basketball and football as well.

He stands for greatness. But IMO he is also the greatest athlete

Rastak
06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Greatest athlete of all time was Jackie Robinson if you don't penalize him for the time period.

Baseball wasn't even his best sport. Guy was an absolute stud at basketball and football as well.

Add Jim Thorpe.....

Rastak
06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Yes.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right. And so is Rastak. If it were up to men, the species would die out because they'd never be able to take it. (Rastak, I'm calling Mrs. Rastak... :P )

She would take your side too.....

oregonpackfan
06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Yes.

OK!??

Yes.

She would take your side too.....

Speaking of endurance, my wife's labor with our first daughter was a draining 32 and 1/2 hours! Perhaps it was because our daughter came out 9 lbs. 13 oz, 22 inches.

She developed into a pretty "normal" sized 19 year old at 5'7", 125 lbs. Dashed aside were my initial dreams at her birth that she would be the first woman to play linebacker for the Badgers! :)

FritzDontBlitz
06-07-2007, 12:54 AM

if you goin that route jim thorpe trumps robinson. gold medals in decathlon AND pentathlon; played professional baseball, basketball and football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

mmmdk
06-07-2007, 06:36 AM

You mean Mr. Epo?

Rastak
06-07-2007, 07:09 AM

if you goin that route jim thorpe trumps robinson. gold medals in decathlon AND pentathlon; played professional baseball, basketball and football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe

Let the record show that was my pick earlier in the thread.... :wink:

KYPack
06-07-2007, 08:10 AM
No, my point is that muscles can be trained to do different tasks and a muscle trained for one task is going to be weak at another. Therefore you can't say that an athlete in any one sport is the best athlete in the world because he would be unable to compete at a high level in a different sport that requires different muscles and skills.

That's what makes Jim Thorpe especially, and Bo Jackson such interesting stories.

There was a guy in the 1960s who played in the NBA and was a pitcher in major league baseball. Any oldtimers remember his name?

A few people have done this.

Dave Debusschere pitched for the ChiSox (for a minute) and was a top player for the Detroit Pistons in the '60s.

Gene Conley pitched for the Milwaukee Braves and played in the NBA for the Celtics also in the 60's.

In the fifties, Chuck Connors of Rifleman and later horror movie fame, played for the Cubs and the Boston Celtics.

This is impossible now, but was done a lot in the old days of pro sport.

Iron Mike
06-07-2007, 08:23 AM

You mean Mr. EPO?

Hmmph. Lance Armstrong gets denigrated because according to some here he juiced.

Yet Michael Jordan is touted as the second coming of Christ.....where would HIS stats be if he had been whistled for traveling every time he traveled??? :roll: He'd have about 1/3 of his point total.

Have some consistency in your standards, people.

Travbrew
06-09-2007, 07:04 AM

You mean Mr. EPO?

Hmmph. Lance Armstrong gets denigrated because according to some here he juiced.

Yet Michael Jordan is touted as the second coming of Christ.....where would HIS stats be if he had been whistled for traveling every time he traveled??? :roll: He'd have about 1/3 of his point total.

Have some consistency in your standards, people.

Lance Armstrong? You all must be kidding. Best athlete? Not a snowball's chance in hell. All talk of juicing...whatever aside....Please don't confuse athleticism with endurance. There is a VAST difference. I can'y say I've ever seen Mr. Armstrong play any sport, but with his pipe cleaners (spindly arms) and complete lack of ANY upper body, how could he do anything but pedal,pedal, pedal? (or perhaps run long distance)
Being in the Corps we run ALL the time. Some (if not the majority) of the best runners in our unit have absolutely ZERO athletic skills. Just pathetic.
All they do is run, run, run. They lack timing, coordination and overall BODY CONTROL. Pretty damn funny to watch if you ask me.
They have endurance to lose, but lack athletic ability, just like Lance IMO.
Who's the best? (alive) I'm not sure I know. All time? Jim Thorpe, no contest.

mmmdk
06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Greg LeMond says that Armstrong was juiced up; I believe LeMond. Then again many have been juiced. Even greats like Fausto Coppi, Bernard Thevenet & Bjarne Riis have all admitted to be juiced - all Tour winners. The latter, Riis, reveiled himself to try help put a stop to EPO & other juices.

Cycling has a vast history of "cheating" and if you look beyond 1960 then it was considered OK to be juiced. Go figure.

What about our beloved NFL players; you betcha most have been using illegal stuff.

4and12to12and4
06-10-2007, 11:53 AM

I have to disagree big time. I would put Kobe number 1. I watch a lot of basketball and his skill are equal to Michael Jordan. Their is no better overall talent in the NBA.

However, I do agree that his sportsmanship rating should be a lower. He is a jerk and the reason why o'neal left.

i completely disagree with that. Kobe isnt Jordan. He's not heads and shoulders better than anyone else in the league right now. Dwayne Wade and King James are close if not as good. On the other hand, LT is obviously the Best back by far in the NFL, Federer is by far the best tennis player in the world, maybe ever, and Barry Bonds in his prime was the most dominant hitter I have ever seen. If people would have actually pitched to him instead of walking him 200 times a year, his numbers would be off the charts even more. I don't care about the steroids, because they are in every sport, and his swing and hand/eye coordination is better than anyone I have ever seen. (of course i never saw Ted Williams or anyone from the late 70's and back. But, to me, those three redefine their sports. And of course Tiger.

Joemailman
06-10-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.frontrowking.com/tennis/maria_sharapova_03.jpg

Maria Sharapova. I'm just sayin'... :tup:

BallHawk
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
:whaa: :whaa: :whaa: :whaa:

We also need a salivating emoticon.

4and12to12and4
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Holy shnikeys, did she get a boobjob, i don't remember seeing her with knockers that size before. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bretsky
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Holy shnikeys, did she get a boobjob, i don't remember seeing her with knockers that size before. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ALL HAIL ENHANCEMENTS

:knll:

HarveyWallbangers
06-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't believe she has. She's not like Kournikova, and is focused on tennis. That can't help. She was young when she came on the scene, so I think we are seeing a natural growth spurt. I watched last week, and they said she had grown another 2 inches in the last year. She's like 6'2" or something now.

I didn't know they the two inches meant in the chest.

:worship:

oregonpackfan
06-10-2007, 11:40 PM

If any regular user of Viagra forgets where he left his little blue pills(not that I use them, mind you) all he needs to do is look at this picture! :oops:

She can swing a racket on my court any day! :)

Partial
06-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Hottie!

I think the best Athlete has got to be Bo Jackson or Neon Deion. Playing two sports is tough.

Patler
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM

A few people have done this.

Dave Debusschere pitched for the ChiSox (for a minute) and was a top player for the Detroit Pistons in the '60s.

Gene Conley pitched for the Milwaukee Braves and played in the NBA for the Celtics also in the 60's.

In the fifties, Chuck Connors of Rifleman and later horror movie fame, played for the Cubs and the Boston Celtics.

This is impossible now, but was done a lot in the old days of pro sport.

Thanks KY!
Gene Conley is the guy is the guy I was thinking of, because as I recall he tried both sports for several seasons.

Did Debusschere ever play pro baseball, or was he just drafted? Funny, you refered to him as a Piston, I think of him as a Knick. I checked his stats, and you are the more accurate. He played 5 more games with Detroit than with NYK!

Iron Mike
06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
:whaa: :whaa: :whaa: :whaa:

We also need a salivating emoticon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/droolemoticon.gif

packinpatland
06-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Don't think she'd pass the Wimbleton dress code. :wink:

Joemailman
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I think that picture was from the Victoria Secrets Open.

4and12to12and4
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Don't think she'd pass the Wimbleton dress code. :wink:

I am not commenting on this picture, the way this thread is going, I figured we were just dragging her along regardless of topic! :shock:

I've reread this thread, and have, after not really taking much time to think about it, decided that i think that Bo Jackson would have to be considered the best athlete ever. To be able to do the things on the football field and the baseball field that he was able to do was absolutely unbelievable. If his body could've withstood it, and he got even four or five years in each sport, he was on his way to being the god of sports. In just that one year, he began a slogan that is still used today for multitaskers. He was on his way to being the most popular and celebrated sports figure of ANY era. As far a Neon Deion, he was as talented a corner as has ever played, but, i guess chasing a guy around the field and sticking with him doesn't impress me as much as running a football past and through 1000's of lbs. of angry men with strength and grace. And he kinda sucked as a baseball player unless he was stealing second (he didn't get to first much though).

Joemailman
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Bo Jackson was the best I ever saw. Bo started out as a baseball player with great power who had trouble making consistent contact. However, up until his injury, his batting average went up every year. He was on the verge of superstardom in baseball when the injury occurred, and always was a star in football. I saw Bo play a number of times in Chicago during his White Sox days, and even then, he was the kind of guy who had everyone on the edge of their seats when he came to the plate. He had that magnetism that few athletes have.

As for Maria Sharapova, it is too early to say where she ranks among thr all-time woman tennis players, but she might be the best athlete to ever play women's tennis.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Pele.

Partial
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Bo Jackson was the best I ever saw. Bo started out as a baseball player with great power who had trouble making consistent contact. However, up until his injury, his batting average went up every year. He was on the verge of superstardom in baseball when the injury occurred, and always was a star in football. I saw Bo play a number of times in Chicago during his White Sox days, and even then, he was the kind of guy who had everyone on the edge of their seats when he came to the plate. He had that magnetism that few athletes have.

As for Maria Sharapova, it is too early to say where she ranks among thr all-time woman tennis players, but she might be the best athlete to ever play women's tennis.

You are smoking crack if you think Sharapova is even top 20 best ever in women's tennis. She is one of the best there is right now, but ever? Not even close.

I agree completely on Bo, though.

Partial
06-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Most dominant athlete ever might be Roger Federer. What he is doing is simply amazing(despite his recent slumps).

Most physically talented athlete has got to be Bo Jackson.

Most physically gifted athlete has got to be Shaq in his prime. That size back when he was quick and in shape(ripped) was downright scary.

KYPack
06-11-2007, 08:37 PM

Ever seen the two Williams sisters?

Joemailman
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM

You are smoking crack if you think Sharapova is even top 20 best ever in women's tennis. She is one of the best there is right now, but ever? Not even close.

I agree completely on Bo, though.

Who said anything about top 20? I said it is too early to tell where she will rank all-time. However, given that she is the 3rd youngest woman to ever win Wimbledon, and is consistently ranked among the top players, there is a chance she will be judged in historic terms.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Maria Sharapova is awesome. She's not the best player ever, but she has the best combination of skill and looks since Chrissy Evert (Chrissy has her beat on the court, but Maria gets the advantage off it).
:D

Hard to believe it, but Venus Williams may end up with just 5 Grand Slam titles. Serena has broken away from her sister with 8 and counting. Maria has 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if she tops Venus in the end. Henin now has more titles (6) than Venus.

HarveyWallbangers
06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Since 1989, only three men's French Open champions have won a Grand Slam other than the French: Jim Courier, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Andre Agassi.

Federer is ridiculously dominant. The guy has won at least the last two Australian Opens, US Opens, and Wimbledons. Nadal might end up being the greatest clay court player in history. If not for him, Federer could have the last two French Open titles also, and back-to-back Grand Slams.

justanotherpackfan
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Tyson Gay
http://www.trackshark.com/photos/2005/world_day4/slides/GAY%20Tyson%2005WLD%20KL.jpg
Dean Karnazes
http://www.michaelhyatt.com/fromwhereisit/dean_karnazes.jpg
Liu Xiang
http://www.athleticsalberta.com/UserFiles/Image/Liu_Xiang.jpg
Deon Anderson
http://www.draftshowcase.com/deonanderson.jpg

Zool
06-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I heard once that Tiger Woods was slightly dominant.

mngolf19
06-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Kobe is not Jordan, he doesn't play any defense. I'll throw out 2 names and you'll likely think this is nuts. Babe Ruth-so much more dominant than everyone else that his records lasted 50 yrs? Oh an by the way, he has more Cy Young awards than Pedro Martinez too. Take that Bonds! And for the out of left field category. Secretariat was a male horse. :wink:

4and12to12and4
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Sharipova wouldve gotten dominated by Martina Navritilova. She was awesome, and had the most powerful serve i've ever seen in women's tennis.

4and12to12and4
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Kobe is not Jordan, he doesn't play any defense. I'll throw out 2 names and you'll likely think this is nuts. Babe Ruth-so much more dominant than everyone else that his records lasted 50 yrs? Oh an by the way, he has more Cy Young awards than Pedro Martinez too. Take that Bonds! And for the out of left field category. Secretariat was a male horse. :wink:

Yeah, Babe Ruth could be considered best ever just because he was hitting 40 and 50 homers at a time when 20 was considered good, but to be that dominating a hitter AND be a high level pitcher too was incredible.