PDA

View Full Version : Peter King writes about Favre playing in 08

Packgator
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/05/08/mailbag/index.html

Got a great question in the e-mail bag, and I've thought about it on and off for a few hours now, and I truly don't know the answer. I'll present it to you, give you my thoughts, and see if it prompts even more thoughts from Packer Nation and beyond.

Steve Brown of Burke, Va., writes: "If you were Brett Favre, would you stay another year with the Packers and why?''

Hmmm. I believe Steve means through 2008, because Favre has already said he'd stay this year. And the more I think about it, the more I say: Heck yes ... with an asterisk. And the asterisk has to do with one thing -- Green Bay's record in 2007, and whether the four-game winning streak at the end of 2006 was a mirage or the mark of real progress, which we'll find out around the end of September.

Last season, I remember talking with rookie coach Mike McCarthy after a game and asking him about a report from Jay Glazer that day on the FOX pregame show. Glazer said McCarthy thought Favre could certainly play another year. And McCarthy told me then that there was no doubt in his mind that Favre could not only play and play well in 2007, but also in 2008; that's how physically on top of his game and at one with McCarthy's offense Favre was.

As far as his play and his comfort with McCarthy, there's no reason other than physical decline why Favre couldn't play two more years. Check out how he ranked against his own career bests in the significant passing categories in 2006:

Attempts: 613 (first)
Completions: 343 (fourth)
Percentage: 56.0 (15th)
Yards: 3,885 (seventh)
TDs: 18 (14th)
Interceptions: 18 (10th)
Sacks: 21 (third)
Completions of 20 yards or longer: 49 (sixth)
Rating: 72.7 (13th)

These numbers show a couple of things. Favre, at 37, was still highly mobile and threw the deep ball well. And he was productive even though the numbers say he wasn't as accurate as in the past. But I believe the numbers don't show a very important element -- the sketchy talent around him. Bubba Franks had one of the worst years I've ever seen a tight end have. Remember when Steve Sax couldn't throw to first base anymore, and when Chuck Knoblauch did the same with the Yankees? It essentially ended their careers. Bubba Franks had the worst case of stone hands I've seen in a good player last year. That killed Favre. He needs his two tight ends to catch more than the 46 balls Franks and David Martin combined to snare last year. And the second-round back they picked from Nebraska, Brandon Jackson, is going to have to reprise the role he served last year in Lincoln. It's all well and good that he averaged 5.3 yards per carry out of the backfield, but Favre is going to need him to catch the ball because he loves throwing to his backs. Last year Jackson caught 33 balls for the 'Huskers. The Pack will test him in camp to see if he can keep doing the same.

In the end, though, Ted Thompson made an interesting choice in the draft, gambling that the down-the-line receivers he picked (James Jones was the 13th receiver picked overall, David Clowney the 21st), and one of those wideouts will have to come through. Donald Driver's 32, and generally 32-year-old receivers who've taken the beating he has start to decline. Greg Jennings, the impressive rookie from Western Michigan last year, will have to get tougher and stay on the field more than he did last year.

I know Favre wanted Randy Moss, but there's not much he could do about that once the Patriots began to pursue him because Moss wanted a chance to win the Super Bowl more than he wanted a chance to play with Favre. Overall, I'd say Favre has it in him to play two more years, and I think he'll have the interest -- as long as he sees the Packers making progress toward being a good team. And there's no guarantee that'll happen.

packinpatland
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Obviously Peter didn't consult with his good buddy, 'Z'. :)

I agree with all he said.

woodbuck27
05-08-2007, 10:38 PM
DAM !

Let's first get him throught the pre-season schedule into the start of the regular schedule.

One game at a time. :)

Scott Campbell
05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
If Ted really wanted Favre gone, then why was his sock puppet saying all this stuff that would encourage Brett to stay around?

packinpatland
05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Bottom line? TT didn't want to know as the GM who ousted Favre.

run pMc
05-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I think the idea that TT wants Favre gone is a silly conspiracy theory. If you were the GM of a team, why would you want to oust a HOF QB and face of your team? Say what you want about TT, but I don't think he's that dumb.

packinpatland
05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I think the idea that TT wants Favre gone is a silly conspiracy theory. If you were the GM of a team, why would you want to oust a HOF QB and face of your team? Say what you want about TT, but I don't think he's that dumb.

My point exactly, no one wants to look THAT stupid.

Packgator
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I think the idea that TT wants Favre gone is a silly conspiracy theory.

Of course it is.

packinpatland
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Call it what you want, TT hasn't exactly 'helped' Favre out.

Patler
05-09-2007, 10:41 AM

I've never understood comments like that, and reporters do it all the time. It depends on what he is supposed to "help" Favre do, I guess. If its to help Favre get to the playoffs, improving the defense probably enhances playoff possibilities more than getting Favre a receiver. If it is to help Favre pad his career stats, get to the personal records, etc., then no, TT has not "helped Favre out".

ahaha
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM

I've never understood comments like that, and reporters do it all the time. It depends on what he is supposed to "help" Favre do, I guess. If its to help Favre get to the playoffs, improving the defense probably enhances playoff possibilities more than getting Favre a receiver. If it is to help Favre pad his career stats, get to the personal records, etc., then no, TT has not "helped Favre out".

TT has also drafted a WR within the first three rounds of every draft he's done for the Pack.

Patler
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
TT has also drafted a WR within the first three rounds of every draft he's done for the Pack.

Exactly. When you take two receivers in the second round, one in the third, one in the fourth, and another in the fifth in three years you aren't exactly ignoring the position! He also signed two receivers who were former first round draft picks, the 9th and 15th players selected in 2001.

Packgator
05-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Whatever he has or hasn't done has not been with a spiteful attitude towards Brett. Any notion suggesting otherwise is ridiculous and asinine in so many ways it's laughable. If it were true the following would then have to be so......

TT thinking to himself: "I could bring that offensive stud in......but that would help out Brett......therefore I'm not going to bring him here. Afterall, I don't want Favre here anymore so why should I give him any weapons that will make him and the offense look good and possibly keep him around even longer".

Whether or not the Packers have a good offense is certainly worthy of much discussion and debate. But any suggestion that TT has purposely kept the offense weak to expedite Brett leaving can be left out of the conversation.

wist43
05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think TT cares one way or the other if Favre plays or not...

He's looking at the long term, and the long term isn't Favre. Does that mean he wants him gone??? I don't think so, but again, I don't think he cares either way.

My preference would be for Favre to play another couple of years, and set records that will be next to impossible to catch.

Favre, or no Favre, the Packers aren't going anywhere anyway.

Patler
05-09-2007, 11:36 AM

He's looking at the long term, and the long term isn't Favre. Does that mean he wants him gone??? I don't think so, but again, I don't think he cares either way.

My preference would be for Favre to play another couple of years, and set records that will be next to impossible to catch.

I feel much the same way. If things fall into place, they possibly could make a small splash in the playoffs, but they certainly are not primed for a serious playoff run. That will depend on whther or not Rodgers is adequate in 3-4 years.

If Favre plays in 2008, and has two season reasonably similar to his recent ones, many of his records will be difficult even for Manning to catch. Manning will be 33 going into the 2009 season. He would have to play another 5 years just as productive as his career averages to catch Favre. Certainly he will have a chance, but it is not a given that age will not catch up to him sooner than that, or that Indy will remain competitive and support his play as now. In short he may not be able to continue generating stats at 36, 37, 38 like Favre has. Of course, Favre's play could fall off the table this season or next, too.

retailguy
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Agree.

In Ted's world, ANYONE, is replaceable, even a HOF QB. Anyone, except Ted, that is. :P

RashanGary
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM

He says he takes each decision and considers the whole term of the players projected impact. That includes now and in the future.

If long term as you use it means "he doens't ignore the long term" than I agree. If long term means "he only thinks long term" than I disagree. I think guys like Woodson, Pickett, Kampman, Barnett, et al are guys who help more now than in 5 years. Thompson said he considers the players whole projected stay, so yeah, the long term is considered in that. I don't know why including long term ramifications into deicision making is such a hard thing for people to latch on to. It seems like the common sense approach if you ask me. It's not like the NFL shuts down after Brett retires. It didn't when Montana retired, it surely won't when Brett does.

packers11
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
It's not like the NFL shuts down after Brett retires.

Its not?!?! :( ... We are talking about "LORD FAVRE" of course its going to shut down! :wink: ...

Cheesehead4
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Favre could run over 100 newborn chicks in his John Deere and Peter King would still spin it positively. Must take with a grain of salt.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
If long term as you use it means "he doens't ignore the long term" than I agree. If long term means "he only thinks long term" than I disagree.

Well put. The whole post was well put.