PDA

View Full Version : Is JSOnline Insider worth the money???

AtlPackFan
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Just wanted opinions from those who have subscriptions, those who have other subscriptions (ESPN Insider) or those who don't have any.

My subscription is due for renewal in a few days and I don't know if I want to spend the money again. Their off season coverage is abysmal, especially now with Christl gone.

Thoughts???

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I am an Insider, and I'll keep it, but losing Uncle Cliffy hurt.

Bretsky
05-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Just wanted opinions from those who have subscriptions, those who have other subscriptions (ESPN Insider) or those who don't have any.

My subscription is due for renewal in a few days and I don't know if I want to spend the money again. Their off season coverage is abysmal, especially now with Christl gone.

Thoughts???

It's $3 a month; cheap for what you get over course of the year.

mraynrand
05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
About the JS coverage - I haven't renewed. I think McGinn is pretty good at providing info, and Cristl was interesting, but the rest of the group is pretty dull. You need someone watching practice who knows something about evaluating talent, otherwise who needs Lori Nickle Hallmark Channel fluff pieces and ESPN boilerplate opinions?

RashanGary
05-09-2007, 10:31 PM
YOu used to be able to get everything for free before they locked up their security. I have ESPN insider and I wish I had PI.

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Anything I post as a thread off that site I find via a link.

ie Fr. PFT

motife
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM

I agree. Cliff was a very frequent contributor and his blog was the BEST during the OTA's and training camp. In depth reports almost every session.

The only ones left worth anything are Bob McGinn and Tom Silverstein. But a lot of their content is free and neither are very frequent with their articles, sometimes a couple weeks apart. (What do they do all day?)

Pufall and Hunt and the other guys are worthless. You're better off reading Joe Arrigo, Harry Sydney or "Patty".

The price $34.95 per year, is not excessive. Less than $3 per month.

the_idle_threat
05-10-2007, 07:55 AM

I also agree with this. Although I read the other stuff sometimes, I have kept my subscription for three features: 1) Cliff Christl's content---especially the training camp coverage; 2) Bob McGinn's pre-draft player articles and other articles that include quotes and analysis from scouts; and 3) access to historical packer articles, including coverage of past drafts. The rest of the content is just OK.

Cliffy's retirement leaves a big hole, partly because he seemed to contribute a huge percentage of the total content singlehandedly. I'll be interested to see how they replace his training camp coverage. They were asked about this in something I read (a chat?), and I recall reading that there will still be a training camp blog.

I'll keep it for now, and if it goes downhill I'll cancel.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 08:29 AM
YOu used to be able to get everything for free before they locked up their security. I have ESPN insider and I wish I had PI.

I haven't been there in a while. Did they fix the feature where you could just click the article and press stop before it redirected you to the subscription page?

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes, they did that a while ago.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes, they did that a while ago.

OK, thanks. Really don't go over to JSO that much, now, for football. I go there for the Brewer coverage, but that's about it. The loss of Cliffy hurt them. I didn't always agree with the guy, but his training camp/OTA reports were great.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
To be fair, we don't know what kind of training camp coverage that Cliffy's replacement will bring.

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Maybe they'll hire Havel...

swede
05-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I paid 24 bucks or something a few years ago and thought it was a lot for an okay amount of information. The fact that I thought it was a lot shows what a cheapskate I am.

But...cheapskates need to be figured into the equation. Apparently the PI brass felt that increasing the price to 35 bucks will not scare off the core of Packer geeks that spend $ on anything Packer related w/o complaining.

And...dropping the cost to 15 bucks would not have, to their way of thinking, resulted in a doubling of revenue by adding a lot of new cheapskates to the subscriber list.

Additional, I suppose, more subscribers means more opportunities for "sharing" the good news w/o permission in venues such as this one.

I like it when that happens. Stick it to the man, ya'll.

Rastak
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
To be fair, we don't know what kind of training camp coverage that Cliffy's replacement will bring.

I thought it was Patler..... :wink:

AtlPackFan
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM

I also agree with this. Although I read the other stuff sometimes, I have kept my subscription for three features: 1) Cliff Christl's content---especially the training camp coverage; 2) Bob McGinn's pre-draft player articles and other articles that include quotes and analysis from scouts; and 3) access to historical packer articles, including coverage of past drafts. The rest of the content is just OK.

Cliffy's retirement leaves a big hole, partly because he seemed to contribute a huge percentage of the total content singlehandedly. I'll be interested to see how they replace his training camp coverage. They were asked about this in something I read (a chat?), and I recall reading that there will still be a training camp blog.

I'll keep it for now, and if it goes downhill I'll cancel.

I hope the training camp blog is one of the those "fan" blogs. :roll: That would suck.

AtlPackFan
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
What about those of you who have ESPN insider? Is it worth what they charge to read the talking heads???

AtlPackFan
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I hope the training camp blog is one of the those "fan" blogs. :roll: That would suck.[/quote]

Correction: Should read "I hope training camp ISN'T one of those fan blogs" not "IS".

the_idle_threat
05-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree. The fan blogs are pretty bad. I think I read them once or twice, and then never again.

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM

I thought it was Patler..... :wink:

They offered me the job until the Snapper saw my work :lol:

I can be quite the sarcastic condescending one; thought I'd be a great replacement for Cliffy

RashanGary
05-10-2007, 09:04 PM
What about those of you who have ESPN insider? Is it worth what they charge to read the talking heads???

I have ESPN but I'd rather have PI. I just don't really care enough about all sports to get the $30 out of it.

ecwiscott
07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe they'll hire Havel...

What happened to him at the Press Gazette anyway? I never did hear the full story and I enjoyed his columns.

Cleft Crusty
07-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Don't worry folks, I'll be providing plenty of fact-free coverage of training camp and the season. Long on opinion and short on info - that's the Cleft Crusty pledge - just so long as my health holds up. I have one of those weekly 'pill minder' trays - you know, where you put the pills for each day into a single box - well I have the extra large size and still I had to get a second one for all my meds. even my doctor is uncertain about all the diseases I'm currently treating. But what the hell, I'm still riding my Harley with no helmet and dragging my lovely wife around the midwest to crappy run-down high school stadiums. She's treating me real well this summer in my semi-retirement - sometimes she even clears the bugs out of her teeth before she kisses me.