PDA

View Full Version : Jags pickup Greisen - thoughts?

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/28/bc.fbn.jaguars.greisen.ap/index.html

I wished we'd have taken a look at him at least. I'm a homer.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 10:26 PM
You are a homer--like Bretsky.

He's too slow for our scheme.

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 10:54 PM

He's faster that Ben Taylor, who is slower for our scheme....Badger hater...

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:00 PM
News for you buddy, and I've told you this before. He ain't faster than Ben Taylor.

At UW’s workout day, Greisen performed well in quickness drills. He’s also put on about seven pounds from his 235-pound playing weight last year.

“You could put him and most of those guys in a hat and pick one out and you’d get the same guy,” said the linebackers coach for an AFC team. “Big, runs about a 4.8. They’re backups. You’re not drafting for backups. He could get taken in the sixth round. He might make a team, and if he does get better he possibly could start down the road.”

Said the linebackers coach for an NFC team: “He has some intangibles going for him. When you first put the film on, you see he’s a very fundamental player. He knows what he’s doing, he’s in the right place. His speed hurts him in man-to-man (coverage) but he’s a functional guy.

“He might not be fast enough for special teams but he’s a guy I’ll keep an eye on. I like all his qualities. He will hit you consistently throughout the game, he won’t wear down. He’s a decent player.”

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 11:02 PM

Yup - I even stated that above :lol:

ON WISCONSIN!

Rivers Rutherford
04-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Thought 1: It's draft eve and all mayhem is breaking loose
Thought 2: Who gives a shit about Nick Greisen if he weren't from UW?
Thought 3: That guy drank some crazy amounts of booze in college (I was there I saw him). If his liver doesn't give out before this contract is up it may work out for the Jags. Best of luck to both of them.

Hawk, Bush or Bust :D

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Thought 1: It's draft eve and all mayhem is breaking loose
Thought 2: Who gives a shit about Nick Greisen if he weren't from UW?
Thought 3: That guy drank some crazy amounts of booze in college (I was there I saw him). If his liver doesn't give out before this contract is up it may work out for the Jags. Best of luck to both of them.

Hawk, Bush or Bust :D

I helped him drink a few times - he's a nice guy but a little slow (lights on, sometimes someones home). Put it this way, Nick and Dave Braun weren't exactly aceing Econ - except when we (err - I) did the homework.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Taylor ran the 40 in 4.74. He also had some of the better measurables among ILBs in the 2002 draft. Greisen ran the 40 in 4.83.

Virginia Tech LB Ben Taylor showed great shiftiness with a 6.56-second time in the three-cone drill and a 4.09-second time in the 20-yard pro shuttle. Had a complete workout at the combine. Did 19 strength reps. Had a 35½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump. Outstanding competitor. Very instinctive. Can cover on pass defense. Needs to get bigger and stronger. This is a very good special-teams player (kickoff, punt and kickoff return). Can punt if needed. Top-flight person.

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Taylor ran the 40 in 4.74. He also had some of the better measurables among ILBs in the 2002 draft. Greisen ran the 40 in 4.83.

Virginia Tech LB Ben Taylor showed great shiftiness with a 6.56-second time in the three-cone drill and a 4.09-second time in the 20-yard pro shuttle. Had a complete workout at the combine. Did 19 strength reps. Had a 35½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump. Outstanding competitor. Very instinctive. Can cover on pass defense. Needs to get bigger and stronger. This is a very good special-teams player (kickoff, punt and kickoff return). Can punt if needed. Top-flight person.

BEN TAYLOR

AGILITY TESTS
4.83 in the 40-yard dash … 2.77 in the 20-yard dash … 1.7 in the 10-yard dash … 36-inch vertical jump … 300-pound bench press … Bench presses 225 pounds 19 times … 470-pound squat … 331-pound power clean … 31 ½-inch arm length … 10 1/8-inch hands … Right-handed.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Flexible defender who is quick to turn and close on the ball … Relentless in pursuit, using his hands effectively to steer and control the tight ends in the short-area passing game … Maintains balance moving laterally and is a solid zone defender … Quick to react to the play and stays low when attempting to tackle.
Negatives: Has a narrow frame with marginal muscle development … Has a long history of injuries and his right ankle needs further medical evaluation … Plays too upright and with a very narrow base, which causes him to get knocked around quite a bit … Does not have the raw strength needed to face up and shed blocks … Needs to use his hands better to keep blockers off his feet … Not that physical of a tackler, struggling with his movements when working in space … Stiff knee bender who gets pushed past the ball due to a lack of leg drive needed to hold his ground … Fails to close on the running backs in man coverage … May be better suited inside due to his inability to work in space and his failure to generate much of a blitz coming off the edge.

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=Ben+Taylor+2002+Draft+Pick&fr=FP-tab-web-t365&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8&u=www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/taylor_ben.htm&w=ben+taylor+2002+draft+pick&d=ecgLJkaqMjoI&icp=1&.intl=us

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:27 PM
My sources have Taylor at 4.76 (not 4.74). What did Greisen run at his Pro Day? If he didn't better his time from the combine, Taylor has him beat?
:D

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/LB_ratings.html

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 11:29 PM
My sources have Taylor at 4.76 (not 4.74). What did Greisen run at his Pro Day? If he didn't better his time from the combine, Taylor has him beat?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/LB_ratings.html

Well my sources have Taylor at 4.83; can't we just admit they are both frickin slow and not well suited to start for Green Bay ?

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Do you have Greisen's scores at the combine available?

What did he do in the shuttle, cone drill, vertical, bench, etc.?

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 11:34 PM

Nope; to be honest it took me forever to find Taylor's because I knew he was d@m slow and I don't really care enough to hunt for Griesen's. I know he was a great player at the UW though. He's always been a player who has played much better than the measurables...........like Taylor.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Have it your way. I'm sure you are rooting for the Packers to take Brian Calhoun in the second round too.

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 11:36 PM

It's true his 40 time is slow (4.8) for a LB - which would hurt in man-man coverage. But he has quickness — he beat cornerback Mike Echols in the 20-yard shuttle (4.04 seconds to Echols’ 4.1) and three-cone drill (6.93 seconds to 7.0). He doesn't wear down and hits consistently.

Bretsky
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Have it your way. I'm sure you are rooting for the Packers to take Brian Calhoun in the second round too.

No no no no no; you need to start paying more attention to my brilliance :wink:

Calhoun is not a good pick at the top of round 2. I'd grab him at round 3, but no sooner. He's an outstanding receiving RB, but I'm not confident he's more than a very good 3rd down back. Truth be told I'm not sure I'd even grab him in round 3 if I were Green Bay.

This year, I'd be OK with Brandon Williams in round 4 or 5, Owen Daniels in rounds 5 or 6, and Bernstein in rounds 6 or 7.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Found it:

Greisen:
20 yard shuttle - 4.13
3 cone drill - 6.93
Vertical - 32"
Broad Jump - 9'

Taylor:
20 yard shuttle - 4.09
Three-cone drill - 6.56
Vertical - 36"
Broad Jump - 10'

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Greisen did 21 reps on the bench. Taylor did 19.

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Greisen did 21 reps on the bench. Taylor did 19.

Nick also led the Big Ten Conference in tackles his last two years.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Based on their workout numbers alone I like Taylor better. Their pretty even in most area's but Taylor is a lot more explosive...

Rastak
04-29-2006, 06:08 AM
Based on their workout numbers alone I like Taylor better. Their pretty even in most area's but Taylor is a lot more explosive...

Sure, if the NFL was a workout contest that'd be fine but sometimes scouts get too caught up in the numbers and miss out on guys that are good and instinctive football players,