PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Harris ignores his critics

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/PKR01/705080566/1989

Posted May 8, 2007

Rookie Harris ignores his critics

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Clark Harris has seen the scouting reports itemizing his weaknesses.

That he's a soft, disinterested blocker. That he needs space to be an effective receiver. That he doesn't play with power, isn't a great competitor, doesn't like to be hit.

Harris respectfully disagrees with them all, of course, but there's only one criticism he can't understand — that he's "fake tough."

"I don't even know what that means," said Harris, goateed and tattooed at 6-foot-5 and 256 pounds, during a break in the Green Bay Packers' rookie orientation camp last weekend.

"I've heard comments where … I act tougher than I am, but I don't know what that's supposed to mean, either."

Some publications projected Harris — another talented pass-catcher from the Rutgers program that produced Philadelphia standout L.J. Smith — as a late first-day selection in last month's NFL draft. Instead, he became the last of a dozen tight ends selected when the Packers took him with their final pick, No. 243 overall.

Concerns about his speed (he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.83 seconds at the scouting combine), blocking ability and, yes, toughness might have contributed to the fall.

Harris' numbers peaked in 2004, when as a sophomore he hauled in 53 passes for 725 yards and five touchdowns. As the Scarlet Knights improved the past two years, they threw less and Harris blocked more, but he left among the school's career leaders in receptions (143), receiving yards (2,015) and touchdown catches (11).

He joins a Packers team that needs weapons in the passing game and has only a starter in apparent decline (Bubba Franks) and three relatively unproven backups (Zac Alcorn, Tory Humphrey and Donald Lee) at tight end after No. 2 David Martin bolted in free agency.

The team could keep three tight ends or four, depending whom best fits a zone-blocking scheme that requires tight ends to learn to play fullback, as well.

"I thought he showed toughness," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of Harris, who has experience as a long snapper.

"Once again, when I look at a tight end, I like the versatility we use in our tight ends, either being an on-the-line player, a displaced player or a movement player. I think he has those attributes."

The Packers have had at least moderate success the last three times they drafted tight ends — in 1992 (Mark Chmura), 2000 (Franks) and 2001 (Martin) — but none of those players were drafted as late as Harris.

Receiver Donald Driver (1999), tackle Mark Tauscher (2000) and center Scott Wells (2004) are seventh-round draft picks who continue to play important roles for the Packers. However, from the reduction of the draft to seven rounds in 1994 through last year, the Packers drafted 22 players in the seventh round, and only eight saw action in their first season.

"It doesn't matter what round you get drafted in or even if you come in as an undrafted free agent or you're just having a tryout — whatever it is, you know?" Harris said. "It's just your opportunity to get your foot in the door and show people what you can do."

woodbuck27
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Packer fan comments

Hear, practice, win. Wed May 09, 2007 7:38 pm

"That he's a soft, disinterested blocker. That he needs space to be an effective receiver. That he doesn't play with power, isn't a great competitor, doesn't like to be hit."

"Harris respectfully disagrees with them all..."

I think Harris needs to learn how to take criticism and use it to analyze his weaknesses on the football field. It upsets me that he dismisses the opinions of NFL recruiters who have years of experience grading player talent. He should be looking at their opinions as a list of things he needs to work on and improve, if he wants to become a well rounded player. To me he sounds like one of those annoying contestants from American Idol, who truly believe they can sing well, and don't take the judges opinion seriously, and end up getting voted off for their ignorance. Don't get me wrong, maybe Harris IS a decent player right now, but he will need to improve because there will be no room for a weak player on the team.

Reader Comment Wed May 09, 2007 4:44 pm

Libel and slander are almost impossible to prove in court for several reasons. First of all, the libel and/or slander have to presented as objective fact....not somebody's opinion to which we are all entitled. So if I say Ted is whacked out of his gourd to have picked Jones, and his way of running the Packers is proof of psychosis, it's nothing more than my opinion. Then you have to prove malicious intent and almost always damages of some sort. Can you imagine if every politician was held responsible for the kind of crap they sling? It would be great, but it ain't never gonna happen. So other than poor taste, trash talking or difference of opinion, it's just free speech.

Libel and Slander Wed May 09, 2007 4:12 pm

The closest thing I've seen to that on these boards was when someone went off last week on TT saying he had all kinds of mental illnesses. When you get into defaming someone's business reputation the defamed person doesn't have to prove actual damages to maintain a case.

It is odd and unfortunate how allegations become perceived "truths" as in Chmura's case. Of course, when ESPN and others run the story like it was fact there will always be a problem.

Anyone else out there have teenage daughters? Ever wonder what might happen to you if one their friends spent the night at your house and then later claimed something happened? We had 10 sophmores at our house last week. They are all great girls but you've got to be a little careful about what you say and do.

rookie Wed May 09, 2007 4:07 pm

I remember when Chmura was a rookie. He was not drafted early either. I loved the way he caught the ball. And he made it pretty good. So I'll be looking to see if Harris catches with his hands. He does neeed to be a good blocker though.