PDA

View Full Version : So the Driver rumor is real huh?

imscott72
04-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Donald Driver has asked the team to restructure his contract or trade him.
Green Bay is setting a dangerous precedent if they let Javon Walker force himself at the team. The team is so thin at receiver, we imagine they will give Driver a pay bump to keep him happy. Apr. 28 - 9:19 am et
Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

wow, can't believe Driver would pull this right now.. I'm very disappointed in someone I truly respected on this team...

No Mo Moss
04-28-2006, 10:44 PM
WTF is going on? I thought we put this baby to rest. You sure about this one before we start kicking around dead horses?

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 10:46 PM
His agent denied it in USA Today 7 hours ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-04-28-roundup_x.htm

He denied it himself yesterday apparently on local news.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I just read the artical and it said that ESPN reported Driver wanted out. It is true that ESPN reported it. They just forgot to mention that espn falsely reported it.

Homer Jay
04-28-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm looking at the gazette and I dont see anything like that, some stuff on walker but nothing about Driver.

RashanGary
There is no better place to be that right here if you want to know all the latest. I swear to god we are more plugged in than most of the local media. It's getting kind of embarassing acctually.

imscott72
Is this where the Gazette got it? I tend to believe it if its coming from the Gazette, but if they're quoting ESPN then thats foolish..

Fosco33
Disputed here as well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/28/bc.fbn.packers.driver.ap/index.html
Agent: Driver made no demands

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Packers wide receiver Donald Driver has not asked for a trade or be released, refuting a national report, his agent said Friday.

"Neither of us has asked that question to the Packers," agent Jordan Woy wrote The Associated Press in an e-mail. "We have had discussions with the team about his contract."

Driver has two years left on a five-year, $11 million contract he signed in 2002.

ESPN, citing unnamed sources close to Driver, reported this week that Driver demanded to be traded or released if his contract wasn't restructured.

Driver led the team last season with 86 catches for 1,221 yards and five touchdowns, all team highs, while the Packers were devastated by injuries.

Driver, who made the Pro Bowl in 2002, again emerged as Brett Favre's favorite target after Javon Walker tore a ligament in his knee in the season opener. Walker has demanded a trade this offseason, while Favre decided to return for his 15th season in Green Bay.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING!

Players on every team, every day are asking their teams to give them more money. Or, at least their agents are.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd still like to know who those "unnamed sources" are.

imscott72
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM

yeah this possibly the first time I've got some bad info from a site I've relied on for years. There is so much bullshit floating around its hard to sift through it. I don't remember it being this crazy in years past.

Homer Jay
04-28-2006, 10:58 PM
You're right about it being crazy. For we Packer fans I'd say its because we haven't had a pick this high in a long time.

imscott72
04-28-2006, 11:00 PM
You're right about it being crazy. For we Packer fans I'd say its because we haven't had a pick this high in a long time.

Yeah thats a good point. I bet the late round teams are just chillin unless they're tryin to trade up...

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM

yeah this possibly the first time I've got some bad info from a site I've relied on for years. There is so much bullshit floating around its hard to sift through it. I don't remember it being this crazy in years past.

A lot of good news sources ran that article. The problem is they didn't all retract like they should have. When they found out it wasn't true, they did nothing. My questioning of the sources is that if it came from JWalk's camp, though I've never seen anything solid in print, I'm relying on the locals that saw it on WBAY.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:06 PM
I heard it came from J-walk too....It makes a lot of sense esspecially if Driver denied it. Who else would start that.....

imscott72
04-28-2006, 11:09 PM
I heard it came from J-walk too....It makes a lot of sense esspecially if Driver denied it. Who else would start that.....

Well do we think that JWalk made it up, or is this something thats brewing with DD...Maybe he's waiting to see how it plays out with Walker before he opens up his case...

No Mo Moss
04-28-2006, 11:09 PM
There is no better place to be that right here if you want to know all the latest. I swear to god we are more plugged in than most of the local media. It's getting kind of embarassing acctually.

True that. This is probably the most informed and intelligent (mostly) conversation about the NFL on the web.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
You forgot civil.

Fosco33
04-28-2006, 11:18 PM
You forgot civil.

True that... I peaked over at the 'other' guys forum and it still has its share of crazy posters.

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:24 PM
I like this place a lot more. I look forward to hear what people say on subjects here and over there I have a hard time reading through the garbage.

MadtownPacker
04-29-2006, 12:42 AM
True or not at least Driver has played good enough to warrant this kind of rumor. Need to drop Fergie and show DD the $$$$$!!!!!!!!!!

No Mo Moss
04-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I was on the JSO site and some dumb ass keeps posting threads that say we got the second pick and we traded walker etc.. people get all excited and click and then its just some asshole with a smart ass comment looking for attention. Needless to say it hasn't gone over well. I'm glad we don't deal with that kind of garbage on here. We're a good group. TMW should be a lot of fun.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 01:07 AM
I was on the JSO site and some dumb ass keeps posting threads that say we got the second pick and we traded walker etc.. people get all excited and click and then its just some asshole with a smart ass comment looking for attention. Needless to say it hasn't gone over well. I'm glad we don't deal with that kind of garbage on here. We're a good group. TMW should be a lot of fun.

Yeah this morning should be a blast. I better get some sleep so I don't sleep thru all the morning pre-draft trades... :mrgreen:

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 01:10 AM
This is a good ol' boys network but I almost like it that way. I often times skip over new posters anyway.

No Mo Moss
04-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah it is. I wish we could all get together for a kegger some time- even the aussies :smile:

I remember last years draft thread. It was most of us on there but you had to weed through so many knee jerk panic freak outs throughout the day that it was quite unbearable. I'm sure we'll have more of the same but atleast we know where everyone stands a little bit going forward.

Rastak
04-29-2006, 05:58 AM

Well do we think that JWalk made it up, or is this something thats brewing with DD...Maybe he's waiting to see how it plays out with Walker before he opens up his case...

I'm guessing it's true but Driver doesn't want it public...he probably wants his money, not to be traded like Walker. Maybe Walker leaked it and now everybody is backtrracking because they didn't want it to be public knowledge.....or not....LOL...who knows.

AtownPackFan
04-29-2006, 06:51 AM

I'm guessing it's true but Driver doesn't want it public...he probably wants his money, not to be traded like Walker. Maybe Walker leaked it and now everybody is backtrracking because they didn't want it to be public knowledge.....or not....LOL...who knows.

Since I am not be in the "good 'ol boy network" here, NickCollins won't likely read this, but the rest of you might. (for the record NickCollins, it is that perception that keeps posters away and keeps a site from growing and becoming marketable product)

It is not hard to put things together here if you pay attention. Driver has made two things very clear in the past couple of years. He would like more money and we plans to retire as a Packer because he feels loyalty to a team that took a chance on him.

If you recall when Walker started his gripping he made a comment that he was not the only receiver who was not happy with his deal. He all but pointed out that Driver had made it know he would like more then what we was getting as well. What he failed to mention was that Driver was not going to cause any waves about it.

There is little doubt that it is someone in the Walker Camp that is the "unnamed source close to Driver" and that ESPN grabbed it hook line and sinker. The little doubt there is would indicate that the unnamed source is possibly the reporter himself because really they can say anything they want a qoute "unnammed sources" since they will never reveal their source anyway.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Since I am not be in the "good 'ol boy network" here, NickCollins won't likely read this, but the rest of you might. (for the record NickCollins, it is that perception that keeps posters away and keeps a site from growing and becoming marketable product)

It is not hard to put things together here if you pay attention. Driver has made two things very clear in the past couple of years. He would like more money and we plans to retire as a Packer because he feels loyalty to a team that took a chance on him.

If you recall when Walker started his gripping he made a comment that he was not the only receiver who was not happy with his deal. He all but pointed out that Driver had made it know he would like more then what we was getting as well. What he failed to mention was that Driver was not going to cause any waves about it.

There is little doubt that it is someone in the Walker Camp that is the "unnamed source close to Driver" and that ESPN grabbed it hook line and sinker. The little doubt there is would indicate that the unnamed source is possibly the reporter himself because really they can say anything they want a qoute "unnammed sources" since they will never reveal their source anyway.

ATOWN,

As I've told you numerous times I love your comments in here as well as the rumors/views you bring. I hate to hear that "good ol boys network" comment though. We're trying to get away from that IMO. I read everybody's posts and appreciated them here and at the old stomping grounds. However, I do think the quality in here is better and there is less junk; I hope you stick around and eventually come to the same conclusion.

Have a Great Weekend,
B

Fritz
04-29-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm with you Bretsky - I don't see this as a good-ol'-boys network, not only because there are some intelligent women posting here, but because newcomers do seem more welcome. The same people are posting over and over which makes it seem like good-ol'-boys only, but it could be simply that the site doesn't yet have the groundswell of people it needs to be more varied. Keep posting, Atown. Nick, I believe, means no harm.

MJZiggy
04-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Ditto, B. New perspectives are always appreciated.

GBRulz
04-29-2006, 08:23 AM
I heard it came from JW on WLUK, our local Fox Station. Ya know, the place with the "balanced news".

Balanced must mean 50% real, 50% BS.

GBRulz
04-29-2006, 08:27 AM

Good point Rastak- I'm sure players gripe amongst themselves all the time. DD very well could have said something to JW and now JW is using this to attempt his own case in getting more money...making it seem like the Packers screw everyone.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Y'know, if TT can pull off a trade that benefits the Pack, it would be a nice, final touch if he could work it so that Walker gets to play on a southern team with a long, long losing tradition and an overpaid, injured QB.