PDA

View Full Version : Jackson a Good Fit for GB? JS article

swede
05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=603858

Jackson really does seem to be custom designed for this offense.

I look forward to seeing him play. I just hope he doesn't pull an Eddie Lee.

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Green Bay - Brandon Jackson's struggles and eventual triumphs at the University of Nebraska might very well prepare him for a productive career in the NFL.

As Green Bay's recent second-round draft pick at the highly visible running back position, the 5-foot-10, 208-pound Jackson is practically guaranteed a spot on the Packers' roster. But if he wants to play a lot, he'll have to do exactly what he did in college - remain persistent. And earn it.

Nothing was handed to him then and nothing will be now.

Nebraska relied on I-back Cory Ross for three seasons and after his final season in 2005, a crowd formed to replace him. In all, four men were in the running - sophomores Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky and juniors Kenny Wilson and Jackson.

Coming off shoulder surgery, Jackson began the 2006 season third on the depth chart.

In a blowout against Louisiana Tech, Glenn and Lucky were the featured backs for the Cornhuskers. But a 25-yard touchdown by Jackson caught the attention of coaches, who steadily began to watch his progress and note his overall contributions.

Though Jackson had limited opportunities in the first five games, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan anointed him as the starting I back on Oct. 7 against Iowa State. Jackson responded by rushing for more than 100 yards.

He held on to the starting job for the remainder of the year, gaining 715 yards over the last eight contests as Nebraska claimed the Big 12 Conference title game and went to the Cotton Bowl.

Turning pro a year early, Jackson was chosen in the draft 63rd overall, higher than many scouts predicted he would go. He was the first Nebraska running back drafted since 2001. In fact, he was the first Cornhuskers running back taken on the first day of the draft since Ahman Green was selected by Seattle in the third round in 1998.

Jackson attended the Packers rookie minicamp in Green Bay, and when asked how he earned the starting role at Nebraska, he gave just general answers.

"It was hard work. I earned it. I watched a lot of film and I did my assignments," he said matter-of-factly. "I felt they (Nebraska coaches) always had confidence in me. It was just a matter of time to start."

Nebraska running backs coach Randy Jordan elaborated.

"He started out as our third-down back because we used so many backs," said Jordan. "We had a short-yardage guy, someone else who could catch passes. He could do all of those things. What separated this kid was he protected the passer."

Nebraska uses the West Coast system, just like Green Bay. Nebraska's offensive line uses zone blocking, just like Green Bay. Nebraska expects its running backs to block on passing downs, to pick up the blitz and protect the quarterback, just like Green Bay.

"Nebraska was very focused on blocking," said Jackson. "In our system, our coaches say if you don't block you don't play. Every day we would have blocking drills maybe two times a practice. I'm no stranger to blocking."

Jordan said Jackson became very comfortable running behind the zone blocking scheme as well. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

"We try to stretch the play, create lanes for the running back," said Jordan. "Brandon does it very very well. You have, really, a minimal cut, minimal decision; you put your foot on the ground and kind of find a lane.

"(Zone blocking) is really, really good for a back like him who's quick, decisive - he's physical. That's one thing the Packers are really going to be pleased with."

Jordan said Jackson was also very coachable, working on his weaknesses.

"He's not going to be like a lot of players and just work on what he likes," said Jordan. "When he first got here, he didn't like pass protection, but I challenged him. 'If you want to get on the field, pass protect, show me.' He stayed after practice and worked. He watched extra film on linebackers, became a pretty good blocker."

Jackson also had good hands and caught 33 passes for 313 yards, with just a couple of drops all year.

With the Packers, Jackson is in a situation similar to the one in which he found himself in Lincoln. Green is gone to Houston. Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope, Arliss Beach and fellow rookie draft pick DeShawn Wynn are all vying for the starting running back spot with Jackson.

"It's very similar," Jackson admitted. But that's all he'll say. He won't get caught up in any other names or even admit he has the opportunity here some backs wait a lifetime to get - to be the guy.

"I'm really not paying attention to that right now. I'm just trying to get familiar with the playbook," said Jackson. "You've got to get in to the playbook first before you can get out on the field and run these plays before you even have a chance to start."

retailguy
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
This is the first encouraging thing I've read in months...

Zool
05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
The kid seems to have good balance and makes the first guy miss often, at least in the highlight reels.

If the shoulder problems are gone for good, he could be a find. I'm still curious about Beach, but he'll prolly turn out to be Whisper Goodman part deux.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Kid looks very promising. I don't think that 1,000 yards is out of the question. His situation is very similar to what Addai's was in Indianapolis.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Holy crap, I just checked and realized that Lori Nickel wrote this. I couldn't even tell.

Perhaps she's turning the corner?

mraynrand
05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
P.J. Pope is going to be hard to beat come training camp. But seriously, it's interesting how an NFL coach can be a benefit to a player simply by installing an NFL style offense. But you should hear the bitching in Nebraska about Callahan. That's a fan base that's used to just mauling the opposition - what is this West Coast Crap???

Also good to see Lori Nickle elevate her game above the Lifetime/Hallmark channel drivel she's been forced to write in the past.

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM

WHAT ABOUT THE KICKER

REPORTEDLY ONE OF THE STEALS OF THE DRAFT ???

Scott Campbell
05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
We'll never win another game.

http://markallencam.com/debbiedowner.jpg

retailguy
05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

WHAT ABOUT THE KICKER

REPORTEDLY ONE OF THE STEALS OF THE DRAFT ???

But, he's a kicker! Yes, that's important. but really?

BTW - Scott, I wasn't being sarcastic. I really was encouraged by this article, as improbable as that may seem...

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Yes, really. I believe there were one or two games last year where there were missed field goals in games we lost by 3 points, weren't there?

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I believe St. Louis was one of those games.

MadtownPacker
05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I believe St. Louis was one of those games.Ummm, I think that game was lost when #4 got the ball swatted out of his hands. Straight up heartbreaker and really was what costed the playoff spot.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I believe St. Louis was one of those games.Ummm, I think that game was lost when #4 got the ball swatted out of his hands. Straight up heartbreaker and really was what costed the playoff spot.

That game and about 4 others.

retailguy
05-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Yes, really. I believe there were one or two games last year where there were missed field goals in games we lost by 3 points, weren't there?

So, kickers EXCITE you? :shock:

If all we've got to be EXCITED about is that we drafted a KICKER in the 6th round, then we've got bigger problems, no?

The question was related to EXCITEMENT and kickers... No, I wasn't excited. Am I glad he's here? Sure. Am I excited? No. :P

ND72
05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I love the kid...I said for a while that I thought he'd be the best running back for us, outside of Marshawn Lynch. I think he'll be our starter at some point next year, maybe not right away. But with Morency and Jackson, I think that's a solid 1-2...we just need a "bigger" guy to take some pounding in short yardage.

MJZiggy
05-10-2007, 09:58 PM
You'll be much more excited when he kicks the game winner in the Playoffs.

SD GB fan
05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
iunno, the winner of the kicking competition might hafta be the tackler. due to our sucky special teams, rayner got a few tackles lsat year. crosby may need to learn how to tackle before he can challenge rayner for the job.

as for brandon jackson, he wasnt highly rated because he came out a year early. but that doesnt mean he doesnt have all the physical tools for the ZBS. im excited to see how he and morency run this year.

im also rooting for wynn to step up as the short yardage guy. 230 lbs with explosion would be nice.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
You'll be much more excited when he kicks the game winner in the Playoffs.

What number shot of Kool-Aid is that? 6 or 7?

:wink:

esoxx
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Jackson's lack of production in college concerns me. He declares a year early without even starting for a full year. Not much of a pedigree but, as they say, we shall see.

BallHawk
05-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Jackson's lack of production in college concerns me. He declares a year early without even starting for a full year. Not much of a pedigree but, as they say, we shall see.

His lack of production comes down to the excess amount of RBs at Nebraska. Who knows, maybe if he starts the whole time he's a first round pick?

The reason he came out isn't what most people think it to be, which is the fame and the big NFL lifestyle. The reason he declared is that his family's financial situation isn't too good and they need the money that an NFL contract would bring. I remember about a week ago him saying that, if money wasn't an issue, he would of stayed at Nebraska. He just said that sometimes in life you've got to do what's best for your family and hope it turns out all right.

For the sake of Brandon, his family, and Packer fans everywhere, let's hope this turns out all right.

I'm pretty sure it will. :D

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM

His lack of production comes down to the excess amount of RBs at Nebraska. Who knows, maybe if he starts the whole time he's a first round pick?

The reason he came out isn't what most people think it to be, which is the fame and the big NFL lifestyle. The reason he declared is that his family's financial situation isn't too good and they need the money that an NFL contract would bring. I remember about a week ago him saying that, if money wasn't an issue, he would of stayed at Nebraska. He just said that sometimes in life you've got to do what's best for your family and hope it turns out all right.

For the sake of Brandon, his family, and Packer fans everywhere, let's hope this turns out all right.

Excess RB's, ha ? I've read that.

Are they all top tier NFL prospects as well ?

Playing devil's advocate here as I ponder why Nebraska chose not to feature him.

esoxx
05-10-2007, 11:05 PM

Why he came out after only starting part of one year is not my point or concern. I'm sure he had his reasons. My point is... I worry about a player that didn't play much at all his first two years, then becomes a starter during the season as a junior and then declares. Scouts are always talking about "one year wonders" and they typically like to see more than that. Since TT values production in his picks, e.g. Hawk, Jennings, College, Spitz last year, it just seems a bit out of character for him on this one.

I think it will be a tall task to expect him to come in and be a starter or have high impact like many seem to think he will. That's all I'm saying.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Watch his video, and let me know if you think he has a shto in the NFL.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Playing devil's advocate here as I ponder why Nebraska chose not to feature him.

Oftentimes, it doesn't matter. Michael Bennett started one year at Wisconsin--because of a guy named Ron Dayne. Dayne has sucked in the NFL. But Dayne's college coaches liked him (plus, he was going after records), and kept Bennett on the bench even though he may have been the better runner. The Gophers had a guy named Laurence Maroney sitting on the bench--while Marion Barber was getting the bulk of the work. I don't care if Barber has turned out to be good--because coaches will play favoties to the guy who has been there longer. Sounds like Jackson's coaches really like the kid. I like what I see on video. I think he looks like a really solid prospect, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a lot better THIS YEAR than a lot of experts think.

esoxx
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Watch his video, and let me know if you think he has a shto in the NFL.

Where did I say he didn't have a shot in the NFL? Not even close to what I was saying.

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Oftentimes, it doesn't matter. Michael Bennett started one year at Wisconsin--because of a guy named Ron Dayne. Dayne has sucked in the NFL. But Dayne's college coaches liked him (plus, he was going after records), and kept Bennett on the bench even though he may have been the better runner. The Gophers had a guy named Laurence Maroney sitting on the bench--while Marion Barber was getting the bulk of the work. I don't care if Barber has turned out to be good--because coaches will play favoties to the guy who has been there longer. Sounds like Jackson's coaches really like the kid. I like what I see on video. I think he looks like a really solid prospect, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a lot better THIS YEAR than a lot of experts think.

Bennett was behind one of the top all time "college" RB's
Maroney was behind a solid pro

That's why I was curious if Jackson was behind or sharing duties with any pro prospects.

I'm not sure what the experts think; some have said the Snapper reached and others have him listed as an impact choice right from the start.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 11:28 PM

That's why I was curious if Jackson was behind or sharing duties with any pro prospects.

I'm not sure what the experts think; some have said the Snapper reached and others have him listed as an impact choice right from the start.

Doesn't really matter to me. In retrospect, could there have been any RB at Nebraska that should have kept Ahman Green on the bench for two years?

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Doesn't really matter to me. In retrospect, could there have been any RB at Nebraska that should have kept Ahman Green on the bench for two years?

Good point

How bout those Brewers ?

They could go .500 rest of year and make the playoffs.

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Good point

How bout those Brewers ?

I'm stoked. The Packers remind me a lot of the Brewers.
:D

Except the Pack hasn't signed a Jeff Suppan yet. Can't wait to get everybody together for the Pack-Bears game. Might even be able to drag Rastak out there.

Bretsky
05-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Good point

How bout those Brewers ?

I'm stoked. The Packers remind me a lot of the Brewers.
:D

Except the Pack hasn't signed a Jeff Suppan yet. Can't wait to get everybody together for the Pack-Bears game. Might even be able to drag Rastak out there.

Does TT have the guts to sign a Suppan ?

HarveyWallbangers
05-10-2007, 11:55 PM

Charles Woodson was our Jeff Suppan, I guess.

the_idle_threat
05-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Was there a "Suppan" on the market this year?

Bossman641
05-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm excited for Jackson. He was one of my sleeper picks at RB. I really believe he'll fit our scheme very well.

BallHawk
05-11-2007, 07:45 AM

Charles Woodson was our Jeff Suppan, I guess.

Wouldn't our Suppan be betting fitting as Ryan Pickett, considering the St. Louis connection?

Fritz
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
When the pick was first made, I was very disappointed. However, this looks like one of those cases where the guy fits the system and thus is a good pick for Green Bay.

I like that thinking - Ted definitely has a plan. You may not like it, but he's got a plan and he's sticking to it.

This is a far cry from Matt Millen, who can't decide if he wants a Martz-powered offensive machine or a Marinelli-manly defense, or if he wants a pound-the-ball mentality or a glam and glitz passing game, or if he wants hard-nosed bad boys with an evil edge, or good citizens who work hard. Consequently, he swings back and forth from Mohrinweg to Mariucci to Martz and Marinelli, from Charles Rogers to Ernie Sims to Drew Stanton to Shaun Rogers to Calvin Johnson.

He has no plan.

woodbuck27
05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Of all of TT's picks I like Brandon Jackson's chances to make some contribution this season.

I've watched his video's several times and he seems to have good talents. It's being reported that he also fits our scheme.

He has some history of injury to what? his shoulders; that is a concern.

I'm really pulling for Brandon Jackson to make some strides this season for us. :)

GO PACKERS !

Bretsky
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
When the pick was first made, I was very disappointed. However, this looks like one of those cases where the guy fits the system and thus is a good pick for Green Bay.

I think a lot of people would fall into this category Fritz.

Ode to the powers of homerism. I've been victim to it many times as well.

Cheers,
B

Scott Campbell
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM

Cheers,
B

I fell victim to it for the Barnett and Walker picks. Those worked out ok, well until Javon pulled a Rosenhaus.

Bretsky
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Cheers,
B

I fell victim to it for the Barnett and Walker picks. Those worked out ok, well until Javon pulled a Rosenhaus.

Interesting; I don't recall you ever getting much into the draft or bashing any GM for Javon or Barnett ? Or is the example fabricated to illustrate that Mike Sherman drafted some potential Pro Bowlers ??