PDA

View Full Version : Bush to pull a Manning?

imscott72
04-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Segal says Bush will not play for the Aints..Ha love the talk..This shit is going to go on all night...All nighter anyone??

SEGAL PLANNING A BAYOU POWER PLAY

A league source tells us that agent Joel Segal plans to take the position that tailback Reggie Bush will not play for the New Orleans Saints.

The move, the source surmises, is aimed at allowing Segal to save some face after blowing Bush's shot to be the first overall pick in the draft.

The source also tells us that the Texans opted to tab defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick due to Bush and Segal's sky-high monetary demands. Segal, we're told, wanted $30 million in guaranteed money -- a 25 percent increase over the $24 million in guaranteed money that quarterback Alex Smith received as the No. 1 overall pick in 2005. Although Bush's recent P.R. problems didn't, we hear, play a role in the Texans' decision, word is that the multiple issues regarding Bush and his family caused the Texans to conclude that the fan base would be more likely to accept the decision to draft Williams.

As to the Saints, the thinking is that they are more than happy to fall out of the No. 2 spot, and the financial commitment that it requires. The Jets are an obvious choice to make a move, and they've got the No. 29 overall pick to throw into the mix.

Under the trade value chart, however, the Jets would still need 160 points to justify the transaction. The No. 2 pick is worth 2,600 points, the No. 4 selection is worth 1,800, and the No. 29 pick has a value of 640.

If a trade goes down between the Jets and Saints, New Orleans would draft tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson or linebacker A.J. Hawk at No.4.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports that the Packers and the Raiders have contacted the Saints about a possible trade up, as have the Cardinals. The Cardinals, interestingly, would make the move not to draft Bush -- which would drop him to at least No. 3.

The Cardinals, we figure, would make the move in order to nab Ferguson. Then the question becomes whether the Titans stick with Vince Young, or whether they select Bush.

The most intriguing landing spot for Bush is Green Bay, where he would provide the kind of Reggie White impact for which Lord Favre recently has been whining. Ironically, Favre wrote off in his press conference about nothing from April 8 the possible impactof any rookie in 2006.

Brett might feel differently if the rookie they end up with is Reggie Bush.

And the Saints could still slide to the five hole and get Ferguson or Hawk. New Orleans also would be slotted one spot lower, meaning less money required to sign the player.

PFT FLASHBACK: JANUARY 8, 2006

We like ESPN's Chris Mortensen. A lot. But we knew that Mort was flirting with disaster when he spoke in absolute terms way back in January regarding the decision of the Texans to draft Reggie Bush.

And, in the end, we were right. For a change.

MJZiggy
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
You're going to save face for blowing the #1 pick in the draft by blowing the #2 by being a complete ass?

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Sorry, but Pro Football Talk.com is not a trustworthy source.

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reported that the Texans didn't even offer Bush the money they offered Mario Williams--because they had decided that Mario Williams was the guy they wanted, so that seems to debunk much of the premise of this article.

imscott72
04-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Sorry, but Pro Football Talk.com is not a trustworthy source.

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reported that the Texans didn't even offer Bush the money they offered Mario Williams--because they had decided that Mario Williams was the guy they wanted, so that seems to debunk much of the premise of this article.

Yeah like I said in the other thread, there is a lot of crap floating around right now. Hard to tell whats true and what isn't. Just have to see how it plays out tomorrow..

RashanGary
04-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't know Harv....I think they had those two rated pretty close and in the end they chose the guy who was more willing to sign a fair deal.

Homer Jay
04-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Bush is a great prospect and I can easily see him in Green and Gold, but I would be very worried about signing him in time for training camp.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Anybody know how I can apply to be a writer at Pro Football Talk? I came into college wanting to be a sports writer. Switched major but somewhere in my heart, i still want to be a sports writer.

I was the one who wrote that great article for the Oakland Republic that was seen on the jsonline forum.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
ESPN just reported that Bush's agent said that the Saints have informed him that they will take Bush. Nothing about Bush not wanting to play there.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't know Harv....I think they had those two rated pretty close and in the end they chose the guy who was more willing to sign a fair deal.

It may be true. Clayton is reporting that Bush wanted more money than the Texans wanted to give. My point about ProFootballTalk.com stands though.

imscott72
04-28-2006, 11:54 PM
ESPN just reported that Bush's agent said that the Saints have informed him that they will take Bush. Nothing about Bush not wanting to play there.

I also found this on ESPN..

Saints shopping No. 2 pick?
<Apr. 28> With Houston having decided on Mario Williams, the New Orleans Saints found themselves on the clock late Friday night. While the team has indicated it wouldn't hesitate to draft Reggie Bush should the Texans pass him up, we're hearing the Saints are at least entertaining trade offers -- and they might even be soliciting them.
Reports indicate the Saints have spoken with at least five of the eight other teams with picks in the top 10, but reports differ as to whether teams are calling New Orleans with offers or whether the Saints are calling around to shop the pick.

The Raiders and Packers are believed to have interest in moving up, and there is speculation the Jets might want to, as well. The Cardinals have spoken to the Saints but aren't interested in trying to jump from No. 10 to No. 2.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Please, TT, don't trade up for Bush. The Packers need all the draft picks they can get. Don't dangle JWalk and your #5 for the #2. No. Get a pick or picks for Javona.