PDA

View Full Version : I will retire before I play one more game for this team!

PackerBlues
05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
How many times has that been said by a guy with a couple of years left on his contract?

Does anyone have the right to say such a thing while they are under contract?

I remember when Barry Sanders wanted out of Detroit. I personally felt that Detroit owed it to Barry to let him go. He did his very best for Detroit. He seemed to be all that they had at times. Who in the hell could have blamed him for wanting to go somewhere competitive. The Lions as a team were a complete mess when he asked to be traded or let go. I felt that if they had appreciated what Sanders had done for them at all, they should have let him go while he still had the "legs" and the ability to play.

On the flip side, we have a guy like Javon Walker. A first round draft pick who had one good year before having a fairly major leg injury. He had what, two years left on his contract? Crying because he felt that he wasnt making enough money. Demanding to be traded because he didnt "feel appreciated". Honestly, what could anyone have done with a bitch like Walker? If we had kept him, what would have stopped him from acting like he was injured at any time? Considering what a little bitch he was being, I would have fully expected him to drop every pass that came his way just out of pure spite. And that would have been at the times that he wasnt faking an injury and sitting on the bench with a smug look on his face.

Recently we have seen Moss cry about wanting out of Oakland. He got his way too. Seems quite a bit different though. Was Oakland much of a contender when he signed with them? I dont know, but again, Moss was under contract with them for another couple of years, and yet he throws a fit and gets what he wanted......traded to a super bowl contending team.

My opinion on all of this........when a player makes the statement demanding to be traded. I think the Commisioner should step in. Perhaps ban the player from the NFL altogether and give the team compensation for the loss. Its not as if these players are complete idiots. They knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed their contracts. They have no real argument, yet time and time again, they get what they want.

Is there a way to deal with guys like Javon Walker, or will peices of shit like him always get their way?

retailguy
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Is there a way to deal with guys like Javon Walker, or will peices of shit like him always get their way?

Seems like chicago is playing a pretty good game of chicken right now. I'll bet that Briggs blinks first.

Also, I think that nutcase in San Diego plays pretty good hardball too. What's his name, AJ Smith? Yeah, I think thats it...

4and12to12and4
05-11-2007, 05:11 PM
well, to be the devil's advocate, what about the player's rights? I mean, i understand that players do sign the contracts, but, look at the situation Briggs is in. He is probably thinking, what's to stop the Bear's from doing this again to him next year. With football, each game could be you're last due the physicality of the game, so he wants a big signing bonus, and a long-term deal with at least SOME guarantees, in case he injures himself FOR THE TEAM playing all out and ends up with f'd up knees or neck, etc. the rest of his life. So, I am a bit sympathetic for the players in the NFL. They have the weakest union of the three big sports. Baseball and basketball players get WAY better deals than football players, and when you've proven yourself to be a probowl type player, you should be compensated for it. I felt that way about Javon. We should have paid him his money and we wouldn't still be searching for that receiver to stretch the field the past two years. He deserved it, and we f'd him. Contracts can be broken by teams if the player doesn't perform, so it should go the other way too. That's the players viewpoint, not necesarily mine. I just am i little more empathic towards their situation because of the risk of injury these guys put themselves into each and every season.

The Leaper
05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Honestly, what could anyone have done with a bitch like Walker?

I would feel much better about our chances in 2007 with a healthy and happy bitch on the roster.