PDA

View Full Version : reasonable expectations

4and12to12and4
05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
What will you be satisfied with at the end of this season? A Superbowl Ring?

Brett breaking all Marino's records?

Making the playoffs?

Winning one playoff game?

Getting to the NFC Championship game?

Winning the division?

What are you're your expectations? What will satisfy you?

oregonpackfan
05-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I think it is reasonable to expect:

1. win the division

2. make the playoffs

3. win one division game

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

1. win the division

2. make the playoffs

3. win one division game

I'm hoping for more than "win one division game."
:D

I think the team will be better, but with the schedule, it's really hard for me to expect too much. I'd be disappointed if they don't win 9 games though.

Scott Campbell
05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Ted is entering his 3rd season. My expectations of a GM entering their 3rd year is that they field a division winning roster.

RashanGary
05-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Division winner would be above my expectations.

Wild card is what I expect from this season.

8-8 I'll have mild disappointment

7-9 High level of disappointed

6-10 or worse = people get fired

BallHawk
05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Above .500.

3 division wins.

Favre breaks the records.

A rookie emerges as a great player for the future.

Packnut
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Simple, improve on 8-8.

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 10:08 AM

1. win the division

2. make the playoffs

3. win one division game

Can you winn the division with only winning one division game?

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 10:14 AM
My expectation is 7-9.

Barring major injuries I think this team wins a mimimal 6 games and a max of 9 if they catch a lot of breaks and many of the ifs fall into place.

RashanGary
05-12-2007, 10:31 AM
IF Jackson is as good as Addai, Jones-Drew or Moroney

IF the interior line is a lot better than last year

IF Jennings is a 1000 YD WR next to Driver who is antoher 1000 yd WR

IF Bubba is the dominate redzone target that he once was

IF Manuel plays like he did leading up the the SB

IF Collins plays up to his potential.

IF both Barnett and Hawk make the probowl behind the improved line

IF Kampman is as good as last year.

IF The Dline is as good as it looks on paper

IF the CB's stay healhty

IF Favre is better than a year ago with the improved mobility

IF Poppinga picks up whwere he left off last year and improves on that

IF Morency is a 1000 yd back

IF the Kick and Punt game is more consistant than last year

IF the ST's as a whole are more atheltic and dominate

IF McCarthy can take a team in it's second year and have them playing better than in their first year

IF Sanders improves in his second year

IF the online can enforce their will in the redzone where they used to have the defenses will enforced on them.

IF IF IF

IF all the "ifs" pan out I think we could be 11-5. I doubt that they all will but I could see 9-7 or 10-6 and not be the least bit suprised.

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 10:32 AM
For a second I thought you were referring to BJ Sanders. :lol:

Patler
05-12-2007, 11:35 AM
TT is going into his third season, but is really only in year two of his rebuild. Like most rebuilding projects, first you do some "demo", then you reconstruct. 2005 was a lot of demo. For his first "purchase" there was a sale on paint and new carpeting (Rodgers), which won't be installed for a long time. Hopefuly it will go with the final decor and not have to be replaced. One purchase was defective (Murphy) and had to be replaced. As a result, not much was completed in 2005. In 2006 a lot of new fixtures were installed, with some used materials, but 2006 was the first reconstruction of significance. More will take place this season, with the final outcome starting to take shape. Hopefully the project will be completed in 2008 or 2009, with only routine maintenance and an occassional upgrade thereafter!

MJZiggy
05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
That's great, Patler.

The Leaper
05-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I think you need to show continuous improvement.

Calling for TT to field a division winning roster ignores the fact that one of the most talent laden teams in the league also is in our division. Should Thompson be held accountable for Sherman's lapses that stripped our roster of valuable young talent 3-5 years ago? Those are the exact players who Chicago has that we do not.

We were 8-8 last year against a very easy schedule. However, we got embarrased in several games. We were shut out at home. There are several areas where real improvement can be made.

This year's schedule will be tougher. 8-8 may be difficult to achieve. A division title is virtually out of the question IMO. Chicago is going to be mad and focused. If they stay healthy, there is no way Green Bay can hope to challenge them in 2007.

What I will look for is improvement in defending Lambeau.

What I will look for in improvement on the OL.

What I will look for is McCarthy and his staff not getting outcoached to the point of being shut out.

What I will look for is a team that takes advantage of late game situations in 2007 where they failed numerous times in 2006.

If those things happen...and we finish with only 7 wins against a harder schedule...so be it. We won't go 5-1 in the division again.

4and12to12and4
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
IF Jackson is as good as Addai, Jones-Drew or Moroney

IF the interior line is a lot better than last year

IF Jennings is a 1000 YD WR next to Driver who is antoher 1000 yd WR

IF Bubba is the dominate redzone target that he once was

IF Manuel plays like he did leading up the the SB

IF Collins plays up to his potential.

IF both Barnett and Hawk make the probowl behind the improved line

IF Kampman is as good as last year.

IF The Dline is as good as it looks on paper

IF the CB's stay healhty

IF Favre is better than a year ago with the improved mobility

IF Poppinga picks up whwere he left off last year and improves on that

IF Morency is a 1000 yd back

IF the Kick and Punt game is more consistant than last year

IF the ST's as a whole are more atheltic and dominate

IF McCarthy can take a team in it's second year and have them playing better than in their first year

IF Sanders improves in his second year

IF the online can enforce their will in the redzone where they used to have the defenses will enforced on them.

IF IF IF

IF all the "ifs" pan out I think we could be 11-5. I doubt that they all will but I could see 9-7 or 10-6 and not be the least bit suprised.

Let me get this straight. If everyone of those IF's happen, which would be unrealistic and unbelievable, you think we will still lose 5 games? Brett is better, we are scoring constantly, the defense is of probowl caliber, we have two 1000 yard receivers, our draft pick RB is a 1000 yard rusher or close (as was addai, jones-drew, & moroney) AND Morency gets 1000 yards rushing ALSO, both lines improve, etc., etc, etc. That sounds like 15-1 and a Superbowl run. Yet, your expectations, if the ifs dont if, are at around 10-6, just one game under that. Hmmmm, I don't know much about the new math these days, but sumpin don't add up daar, sir.

The pack, I hope, will go ten and 6,
beating the bears twice, would be my wish,
to win the division would be wonderful and great,
but I'd be happy with a wildcard at 8-8.
Brett will march past Danny's records while we chug our beer,
and for each one he passes, we'll rise up and cheer.
Jackson will be a bust, but that's ok,
the much improved line will bust holes for Morency all day.
Our defense will grow up and rank in the top ten,
but the offense will show spark only now and then.
Even though it's unlikely another SuperBowl he'll achieve,
I just hope Brett's got two more wins against the Bears up his sleeve.
This year, whether we win or lose, laugh or cry,
let's remember throughout, the greatest QB of all time may be waving goodbye.

Rhyming Rat

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM
TT is going into his third season, but is really only in year two of his rebuild. Like most rebuilding projects, first you do some "demo", then you reconstruct. 2005 was a lot of demo. For his first "purchase" there was a sale on paint and new carpeting (Rodgers), which won't be installed for a long time. Hopefuly it will go with the final decor and not have to be replaced. One purchase was defective (Murphy) and had to be replaced. As a result, not much was completed in 2005. In 2006 a lot of new fixtures were installed, with some used materials, but 2006 was the first reconstruction of significance. More will take place this season, with the final outcome starting to take shape. Hopefully the project will be completed in 2008 or 2009, with only routine maintenance and an occassional upgrade thereafter!

You're a genius.

GrnBay007
05-12-2007, 12:33 PM
What will you be satisfied with at the end of this season?

Favre has an awesome year and decides to play again in 2008

Favre takes the records.

I get to attend at least 2 games this season. :P

Expectations?

10-6
Packer fans are awestruck with the play of the rookies.
Playoffs

:glug: :cow:

mraynrand
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM

I feel like I just tuned to the DIY network. Hey Bob Vila, are we going to knock out a wall today or hang some wallpaper?

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM

2009 ?? :bang: Crap

Why does he get a free pass year one ? Because he didn't do much ?

Because he brought in rotton wood (Adrienne Klemm...etc.) to replace some of the good parts that left and then he had to replace his used wood as well ? So we give him a free pass ? Not me.

He chose to take his own time replacing the old fixtures. He needs to step forward; this team need to improve.

This is the NFL; not a house.

No
Frickin
Longer
should be our motto for missing the playoffs

And there is one big flaw I see with your house comparison.

We may be fixing the parts, but the huge roof is getting ready to collapse to the tractor tunes of Mississippi.

GrnBay007
05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Why does he get a free pass year one ?

Nobody should get a free one year pass in the NFL....it's too cut throat. Too much happens in one year to take a pass.

He chose to take his own time replacing the old fixtures.

Yep, and we don't have time before we want to entertain guests in our home......Lambeau...playoffs. :P

We may be fixing the parts, but the huge roof is getting ready to collapse to the tractor tunes of Mississippi.

Amen!!

Patler
05-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Why does he get a free pass year one ? Because he didn't do much ?

Because he brought in rotton wood (Adrienne Klemm...etc.) to replace some of the good parts that left and then he had to replace his used wood as well ? So we give him a free pass ? Not me.

He chose to take his own time replacing the old fixtures. He needs to step forward; this team need to improve.

This is the NFL; not a house.

And there is one big flaw I see with your house comparison.

He doesn't get a free pass. I'm just relating the way it was. However, truth be told, his financing wasn't approved until last season, consequently in 2005 he had to go with temporary, low cost installations until he had the capital available to go on with the project. He was also forced to let go of some vlauable antiques, the upkeep for which was too expensive to fit in the blueprints for the remodel.
:D :D

Guess what? The Packers will continue to play after Favre retires. They won championships (lots of them) before he came, and hopefully will after he leaves. No, they may never find another quite like him, but lots of Super Bowls have been won by teams with QBs that were not his equal. And for all his greatness, he has ONE Super Bowl victory. Maybe they relied on him too much, and should have maintained a stronger TEAM philosophy.

Rodgers, or whoever replaces Favre doesn't need to be his equal for the Packers to win a Super Bowl. It can be won with an overall better team than what GB has had the last 10 years, even if the QB isn't as good.

The world won't end when Favre retires, honest!

Scott Campbell
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
There will never be another Reggie.
There will never be another Nitschke.
There will never be another Bart.
There will never be another Willie Wood.
There will never be another Don Hutson.

But there will be more Packer championships. And that's why I don't worry about Favre retiring.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Why does he get a free pass year one ?

Nobody should get a free one year pass in the NFL....it's too cut throat. Too much happens in one year to take a pass.

I don't think that's true. You would have to have been blind to not see the team was in terrible shape. It was old, there wasn't much depth, and they lost several good players (Wahle, Rivera, Sharper) that he had very little chance of resigning. Sharper maybe. Not a chance on the other two. On the other hand, it was a team that had Brett Favre and was coming off 10-6 record (a very weak 10-6 and playoff loss at home against Minnesota, but 10-6 nonetheless). He almost had to play the hand he was dealt, and hope they had one last run. They didn't. Time to rebuild.

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
It's like anything in life.................you make adujustments, and move on.
But no one says it's easy.

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 05:55 PM
There will never be another Reggie.
There will never be another Nitschke.
There will never be another Bart.
There will never be another Willie Wood.
There will never be another Don Hutson.

But there will be more Packer championships. And that's why I don't worry about Favre retiring.

Starr to Favre- 30 Years

Favre to ............. Another 30 Years ?

It's why I'd have been fine with taking one more shot at any expense.

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 06:27 PM
What about Lynn Dickey? I'd take another Lynn Dickey. Too bad those defenses were so shitty.

Rastak
05-12-2007, 06:28 PM
What about Lynn Dickey? I'd take another Lynn Dickey. Too bad those defenses were so shitty.

I always think of him with the Oilers.....he was a decent QB...

Cheesehead Craig
05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Dickey would have a broken foot, a collapsed lung, a dislocated throwing arm and a sprained knee and still hang in the pocket to complete a pass. He took whatever punishment the D threw at him and kept getting up. I friggin loved him.

RashanGary
05-12-2007, 08:05 PM
If Thompson puts together a playoff team this year, even if it is a one and done play off team it is soooo much more impressive than what Sherman did. Thompson has done nothing to sacrafice future years and has completley revamped an aging team and fixed a salary cap disaster.

I acctually do think playoffs are in reach this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Collins, Poppinga, Harrell, Jones, Jackson, et al rip it up.

Regardless, I've had a couple vodka/leomonades and I'm repeating my usual stuff. No need :)

Scott Campbell
05-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Starr to Favre- 30 Years

It's a 32 team league so 30 years between Lombardi trophies is just ahead of par for the course.

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Starr to Favre- 30 Years

It's a 32 team league so 30 years between Lombardi trophies is just ahead of par for the course.

Remind New England of that :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
And Detroit or Minnesota (for you, Rastak)
:D

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Having a dominating QB gives you a step up IMO; when I think about the franchises bucking the rule I viewed them as having a QB that could carry the team if need be.

WE HAD THAT

Bradshaw
Montana
Aikman
Brady
Manning (would only serve as a good example if he wins more)
all examples

I'm greatful we got one but also greatly disappointed we didn't surround our past his prime franchise QB with the talent to get more.

mraynrand
05-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Starr to Favre- 30 Years

If I remember probability correctly, the chances of NOT winning in a particular year would be 31/32, assuming complete randomness, so that the chance of NOT winning after N years would be (31/32)^N. So after 2 years, about 94% chance of NOT winning, after 10 years, 73%; 20 years, 53%, and 30 years, 39%. So after 30 years, there's still about a 40% chance you will NOT have won a superbowl. Someone can check my math if they care. Of course, Dan Devines will decrease and Lombardis will increase your odds....

BooHoo
05-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I hope Brett doesn't call it quits after this year.