PDA

View Full Version : One Guess - Who Just Tested Positive For Pot?

Scott Campbell
05-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Docs recommend delay of Williams' NFL reinstatement
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources said.

Williams was suspended last year for violating the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month, but the league's medical advisers who oversee Williams' personal rehabilitation program recently notified commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, sources said.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, sources said. The commissioner usually adheres to the advice of the medical advisers under the substance abuse policy.

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like marijuana, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL would have no comment, as did Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

David Cornwell, an attorney who has represented Williams during his substance abuse cases, said he would honor the confidentiality policies in effect with another no comment.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, has played only 12 games since 2003. Before his latest setback, new Miami coach Cam Cameron repeatedly declined to say whether he would welcome Williams back.

The NFL suspended Williams in April 2006 after he violated the league's drug policy for the fourth time. That failed test apparently involved a substance other than marijuana and may have been related to his interest in holistic medicine.

Williams' previous positive drug tests were for marijuana, which he acknowledged using.

Last year Williams played in the Canadian Football League, then taught yoga in California. Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, recently quoted Williams as saying his interest in Eastern philosophy had overcome his desire for mind-altering substances.

Williams still owes the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract when he sat out the 2004 season, but they've given no signal they want him back.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and the 2002 NFL rushing title with the Dolphins. Last season with the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, he rushed for 526 yards in 109 carries but missed two months with a broken arm.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

GrnBay007
05-11-2007, 10:50 PM
"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab,"

Yeah, but don't you have to climb up on that wagon first? :P

This is no surprise.

oregonpackfan
05-12-2007, 12:19 AM
When I first saw the title of this thread my the name which immediately popped into my head was: Ricky Williams.

I truly hope the best for this young man.

On the same thread, I can't wait for the number of PackerRats posters who will plead, "TT needs to sign Ricky Williams because we need an established running back."

These will most like be the same posters who wanted TT to sign Randy Moss or Keyshawn Johnson, no matter what it might cost the Packers. The cost is not necessarily measured in dollars but in disruption inteam chemistry.

the_idle_threat
05-12-2007, 01:02 AM
TT needs to sign Ricky Williams because we need an established running back!

j/k :mrgreen: Didn't want to keep you waiting, OPF!

australianpackerbacker
05-12-2007, 05:06 AM
I honestly dont understand the NFL's policy on 'recreational' drugs. They in no way enhance your performance. Marijuana makes you think and react slower, so how is being high going to help you run through a hole faster or make u block better? My belief is the the NFL takes the "better-the-devil-you-know" stance on recreational drugs because there can be so many variations and combinations of drugs and drug use, that it chooses to group them all in one catgory rather than analysing and understanding them. And in all fairness that would be the most appropriate action to take, however the problem with players is that they will still do these recreational drugs, regardless of policy.

So how do you make both parties happy?

Well if i was an NFL coach and i knew that some players liked to smoke some pot occasionally(say once or twice a month), i would not care because i'd try and make the player realize that they are only hurting their possible effectiveness on the field, which in reality is all that happens. However from a coachs point of view if the NFL removed recreational drugs from the policy, and my players performance was effected beacuse of the new rule, i would not be happy.

There is no real solution to this problem of players using recreational drugs. One thing i hate is people who have no idea about drugs or drug use giving their 'useful' opinions about why this player is wasting their talent, or potential, or that they are a bad person because they do these things. As is the the case with Ricky Williams, no one knows what he has gone through in his personal life to make him the man he is today, yet everyone wants to judge him and label him without any true knowledge of the situation. I think people need to stop judging this man and let him live his own life, how many people regularly admit to binge drinking? I mean people really have a problem with alcohol, its the number 1 problm drug in America, but a player can be pissed 3 days out of seven of the week and still go out and smash the bears RB's.

How is that any different than a player smoking weed or popping a pill? They're obviously not intoxicated at the time they are playing the game, so whats the problem?

pittstang5
05-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Drugs are bad, um kay.

Mari-ja-wanna is bad, um kay.

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I think we can break this down fairly simple.

Pit is illeagal.

Pro Sporting teams do not allow players to take illegal drugs.

pbmax
05-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Bretsky, just having a "pit" isn't illegal.

Having a "pit" in your basement, holding a woman in it and asking her to apply lotion is illegal. As it should be :shock:

I think we can break this down fairly simple.

Pit is illeagal.

Pro Sporting teams do not allow players to take illegal drugs.

MJZiggy
05-12-2007, 07:56 AM
That actually depends, Max. Does she wanna be there?? And does she have dry skin? :shock:

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Damn. I was hoping the answer would be Michael Vick.

Oh well, soon enough, his time will come.

KYPack
05-12-2007, 10:17 AM
That's why they call it "dope".

Actually, I've forgotten about Rickey.

My first thought was "Clete Hunt".

BooHoo
05-13-2007, 04:23 PM
What was he thinking????????????