PDA

View Full Version : Former Oregon State player accused of pimping

oregonpackfan
05-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Former Oregon State linebacker Richard Seigler was arrested by Las Vegas police and accused of pimping.

This is a major shock to Oregon State Beaver football fans. Middle linebacker Seigler was a four-year starter and a two-time team captain for OSU.

He was the starting MLB in 2000 when Oregon State went 11-1 and demolished favored Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

Seigler was a Dick Butkus Award finalist in his serior year.

Many of us Beavers fans thought he would have a successful NFL career. He was drafted by the 49'ers but sat on the bench for his first year. He was later released and picked up by the Steelers. He spent most of the past two years on the practice squad.

I tried to copy the full article but do not have the computer savy to get the full article. You can access the full article by going to:

www.oregonlive.com

Here is what I was able to copy of the article:

Ex-OSU star accused of being Vegas pimp
Arrest - Richard Seigler denies allegations he ran a prostitution ring, saying police are harassing him

FACTBOX
• Richard Seigler's football career

Saturday, May 12, 2007
BOAZ HERZOG
Former Oregon State standout linebacker Richard Seigler, who has played sparingly in a three-year NFL career, faces charges of running a prostitution ring in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas police allege that as Seigler's football career languished, he became a pimp. But Seigler claims he's innocent and that police were upset because he was helping "a family member in trouble."

Seigler was booked into a Pittsburgh jail late Thursday, hours after the Pittsburgh Steelers notified him that they were removing him from the team. He reportedly surrendered to local sheriff's deputies and federal marshals at his apartment on the north side of the city earlier that day. The 26-year-old Las Vegas native was released on his own recognizance after posting a $25,000 bond early Friday, jail officials said.

Advertisement

Seigler's case comes at a time when the NFL has taken a strong stand against inappropriate behavior by its players. The league recently suspended Tennessee Titans defensive back Adam "Pac Man" Jones for a season because of a series of arrests, even though he has never been convicted.

"The police department in Las Vegas is trying to make a name for themselves," Seigler said Friday when reached on his cell phone. "When the off-season ain't more than two months, how am I able to run a prostitution ring when I'm living in Pittsburgh playing football?"

Las Vegas police alleged that Seigler had lured both women and girls to work for him as hookers. Seigler adamantly denied the accusations and threatened a lawsuit against Las Vegas police for defamation of character and slander. He said police were harassing him "for something stemming from a family member in trouble."

"They're trying to drag me in because I was helping him get a lawyer," Seigler said without elaborating. "They're trying to tarnish my whole legacy."

Seigler was a four-year starter at middle linebacker for Oregon State, beginning his career as a redshirt freshman for the 2000 team that went 11-1 and beat Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

But so far, Seigler has little to show for his professional career. He spent part of the past two seasons on the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad, joining the active roster for the team's final two games of 2006. He recorded seven tackles in seven games during his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers.

It's a far cry from the potential he showed as a hard-hitting linebacker for Oregon State. His audacious wit and ferocious play endeared him to Dennis Erickson, the former Beavers head coach who offered him a scholarship.

CONTINUED 1 | 2 Next

Jimx29
05-12-2007, 12:28 PM
sho is hard being a bidness man