PDA

View Full Version : Favre not attending minicamp

Brando19
05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre (ankle) might not attend the team's minicamp next week. Favre's ankle isn't strong enough for him to take part, and a source close to Favre said he isn't planning on coming because he would rather work at home with a personal trainer to rehabilitate his ankle. Head coach Mike McCarthy said this week he is expecting Favre to attend the mandatory camp.

Hmmm...let's just hope this doesn't cause some tension between Favre and McCarthy. McCarthy wants Favre to BE at the minicamp, but Favre doesn't want to.

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Let's not read things into this where there may not be any.

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Let's not read things into this where there may not be any.

Exactly.

Rastak
05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre (ankle) might not attend the team's minicamp next week. Favre's ankle isn't strong enough for him to take part, and a source close to Favre said he isn't planning on coming because he would rather work at home with a personal trainer to rehabilitate his ankle. Head coach Mike McCarthy said this week he is expecting Favre to attend the mandatory camp.

Hmmm...let's just hope this doesn't cause some tension between Favre and McCarthy. McCarthy wants Favre to BE at the minicamp, but Favre doesn't want to.

It's a mandatory camp right? If he refuses to show up, I would guess McCarthy will excuse him to avoid the appearence of a double standard.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 11:14 AM

It's a mandatory camp right? If he refuses to show up, I would guess McCarthy will excuse him to avoid the appearence of a double standard.

Correct, it's a mandatory camp.

Brainerd
05-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Correct, it's a mandatory camp.

He did have surgery. Is Rodgers going to be at the camp?

The Leaper
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
There is no reason why Favre should not be at camp. There is no need for him to take part in workouts if his ankle isn't 100%...but his presence speaks volumes to the young guys.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
There is no reason why Favre should not be at camp. There is no need for him to take part in workouts if his ankle isn't 100%...but his presence speaks volumes to the young guys.

Agreed!!!!
If the team is going to click this year...they need to do it from day one.

RashanGary
05-12-2007, 11:35 AM

I agree. McCarthy should tell him that he wants him there.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Favre gets paid more than anyone on the team....he needs to be there even if he doesn't take any snaps.

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 12:31 PM

With Brett Favre, there's always a double standard.

Rastak
05-12-2007, 12:45 PM

With Brett Favre, there's always a double standard.

They just can't make it too obvious. I'm pretty sure I read that McCarthy wants him there although he'll just be rehabbing. If he isn't officially excused and he doesn't show up, don't they almost have to fine him? Otherwise, how can they fine anyone else with a straight face if they skip mandatory camps. So I'm guessing if he says he isn't going, they excuse him to save face.

Bretsky
05-12-2007, 01:07 PM
This really does not matter to me as to how it goes down

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Same here--mainly because he's been doing this the last few years. People get up in arms, but it never seems to matter. I doubt Favre is going to change at this point. He's like Roger Clemens. (Ken Ruettgers was the same way.) There is a double standard, he likes playing the games, but they'll both do anything to get out of these types of things. If Favre is remotely injured, you know he won't be there. Plus, I don't know how badly he is hurt. Maybe it is best if he stays home and keeps training.

mraynrand
05-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I think Favre should be strung up by his toenails and flogged.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM

Same here--mainly because he's been doing this the last few years. People get up in arms, but it never seems to matter. I doubt Favre is going to change at this point. He's like Roger Clemens. (Ken Ruettgers was the same way.) There is a double standard, he likes playing the games, but they'll both do anything to get out of these types of things. If Favre is remotely injured, you know he won't be there. Plus, I don't know how badly he is hurt. Maybe it is best if he stays home and keeps training.

Didn't he attend last year's minicamp?

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

I don't know about minicamp, but I know he missed some of the OTAs, and people raised a big stink about it. Same with Harris and Woodson. I don't think the players care. Most of them are mature enough to know that they have to work their butt off, so they can't follow Favre. I think Favre's leadership comes through when he's there. He's ready, he practices hard like a rookie trying to make the team, and he'll play his ass off in the games.

Rastak
05-12-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't know about minicamp, but I know he missed some of the OTAs, and people raised a big stink about it. Same with Harris and Woodson. I don't think the players care. Most of them are mature enough to know that they have to work their butt off, so they can't follow Favre. I think Favre's leadership comes through when he's there. He's ready, he practices hard like a rookie trying to make the team, and he'll play his ass off in the games.

Actually in the larger scheme of things it's no big deal at all. This is a mandatory minicamp so unless you are excused you have to be there. That's why if he doesn't show up I'm sure he'll publicly be "excused". I'm just curious to see what happens if McCarthy wants him there and he doesn't show....I don't expect any fireworks.

BF4MVP
05-12-2007, 04:26 PM
What a surprise..

MadtownPacker
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
If you worked at the same place for almost two decades you would want some perks too.

When he starts missing regular season games is when I will have a problem.

Scott Campbell
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
If he misses this minicamp, how will he have time to learn the playbook?

Packnut
05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
If you worked at the same place for almost two decades you would want some perks too.

Could'nt agree more. As long as he plays with seperated shoulders, ankle sprains and broken thumbs, I could give a rats ass whether or not he shows up.............

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 09:37 PM

Could'nt agree more. As long as he plays with seperated shoulders, ankle sprains and broken thumbs, I could give a rats ass whether or not he shows up.............

What a man. :)

Packers4Ever
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I think Favre should be strung up by his toenails and flogged.

GBRulz
05-14-2007, 10:07 PM
On the NBC news they confirmed Favre won't be attending this weekend because of his daughters graduation.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Makes sense.

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
tmj REPORTED THIS EARLIER AND HE MAY NOT HAVE ATTENDEDbecause of his rehab also. Wouldn't be a big deal but the timing with all of this going down is the only bad thing.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
tmj REPORTED THIS EARLIER AND HE MAY NOT HAVE ATTENDEDbecause of his rehab also. Wouldn't be a big deal but the timing with all of this going down is the only bad thing.

It's not a bad thing; it's non news

Packers4Ever
05-14-2007, 10:27 PM
This comes at a very good time, give all
this garbage a chance to blow over.
Distance can be a very good thing! :roll:

retailguy
05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
If he misses this minicamp, how will he have time to learn the playbook?

How hard can it be to hand off as morency heads into the pile, or throw one over the middle to franks who drops it, and then heave it 70 yards to the opposing safety?

No problem. We'll be fine.