PDA

View Full Version : In Packerland, it's not cool to diss Brett Favre.

Brainerd
05-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Note to Sen. Sam Brownback: In Packerland, it's not cool to diss Brett Favre.

The GOP presidential hopeful drew boos and groans Friday at the Wisconsin Republican Party convention when he used a football analogy to talk about the need to focus on families.

"This is fundamental blocking and tackling," he said. "This is your line in football. If you don't have a line, how many passes can Peyton Manning complete? Greatest quarterback, maybe, in NFL history."

Oops, wrong team to mention in Wisconsin, once described by Gov. Tommy Thompson as the place "where eagles soar, Harleys roar and Packers score."

Realizing what he had said, the Kansas Republican slumped at the podium and put his head in his hands.

"That's really bad," he said. "That will go down in history. I apologize."

His apology brought a smattering of applause and laughter. He tried to recover, saying former Packer Bart Starr may be the greatest of all time, but the crowd was still restless.

"Let's take Favre then," Brownback said. "The Packers are great. I'm sorry. How many passes does he complete without a line?"

"All of them!" more than one person yelled from the back.

"I'm not sure how I recover from this," Brownback said. "My point is we've got to rebuild the family. I'll get off this."

MJZiggy
05-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Hahahaha. Hopefully that one shows up on youtube somewhere. I'd love to see it.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Ass clown shoulda been booed off stage! That's like going into a church with a Marilyn Manson shirt on!

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
What an idiot. That’s a rookie mistake. If you go to another state at least say their QB is the greatest even if you don't mean it. And then he tried to put Starr on top of Favre, WOW. I love how the guy said "all of them" when referring to Brett, that’s hilarious. :lol:

GrnBay007
05-12-2007, 11:52 AM
What a Dork!
He better have someone start preparing and writing down what should come out of his mouth.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
First, John Kerry with Lambert Field. Now, this guy.
:no:

BallHawk
05-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Not to mention, I think it was Dean, who called our great coach "Vinny Lombardi."

OFF TOPIC:

As a candidate, I don't like Brownback. He said the number of abortions in the US is "a holocaust." Are you kidding me? Yeah, sure, Sam, teenage mothers having abortions because they got raped is "a holocaust."

That and he's a bit of a religious nutjob. To begin, he doesn't believe in evolution and he was a supporter of The Constitution Restoration Act, which basically would cripple the federal courts in ruling in Church/State matters.

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
What a Dork!
He better have someone start preparing and writing down what should come out of his mouth.

Baby-kissing 101 should be mandatory.

mraynrand
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Not to mention, I think it was Dean, who called our great coach "Vinny Lombardi."

OFF TOPIC:

As a candidate, I don't like Brownback. He said the number of abortions in the US is "a holocaust." Are you kidding me? Yeah, sure, Sam, teenage mothers having abortions because they got raped is "a holocaust."

That and he's a bit of a religious nutjob. To begin, he doesn't believe in evolution and he was a supporter of The Constitution Restoration Act, which basically would cripple the federal courts in ruling in Church/State matters.

BH,

What percentage of abortions are from teenagers getting pregnant from rape? What is your definition of Evolution? Do you know whether what you think of as evolution is the same as what Brownback thinks? Do you know the difference between descent with modification and a naturalistic metaphysics? If you can't or don't know the answers to these questions, you really shouldn't be calling people religious nutjobs. Perhaps it might be a good thing to cripple the Federal courts in Church/State matters, since in may instances the courts should not be meddling in what is wrongly perceived as church/state issues.

Brando19
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM

Did Kerry refer to it as Lambert Field??? Haha...if so...no wonder he lost the election!

Patler
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Perhaps it might be a good thing to cripple the Federal courts in Church/State matters, since in may instances the courts should not be meddling in what is wrongly perceived as church/state issues.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Patler
05-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Did Kerry refer to it as Lambert Field??? Haha...if so...no wonder he lost the election!

Wasn't that the speech he gave after "returning from duck hunting", wearing a pristine clean camouflage outfit that still showed the heavy fold marks and crisp creases from coming out of the package? It looked to have been on him for all of 10 minutes!

Brando19
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Wasn't that the speech he gave after "returning from duck hunting", wearing a pristine clean camouflage outfit that still showed the heavy fold marks and crisp creases from coming out of the package? It looked to have been on him for all of 10 minutes!

Hahahaha...with a XL sticker on the back? That's hilarious. Jackasses. :lol:

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:13 AM
C'mon there is no need to pile on. That was the jacket he borrowed from the property owner and Cheney banged him for not having one.

He also had his hand in his jacket pocket on the way back for the photo op. He later said this was because there was blood on the hand from holding the ducks they shot. Probably could have beaten back some of the aristocratic rep if he'd made a display out of it.

And the resultant complaining from PETA could have only helped!

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 10:16 AM
C'mon there is no need to pile on. That was the jacket he borrowed from the property owner and Cheney banged him for not having one.

He also had his hand in his jacket pocket on the way back for the photo op. He later said this was because there was blood on the hand from holding the ducks they shot. Probably could have beaten back some of the aristocratic rep if he'd made a display out of it.

And the resultant complaining from PETA could have only helped!

What? He never shot squat. He insinuated he did though. Typical Kerry stuff though.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/22/politics/campaign/22kerry.html?ex=1179201600&en=5b8f8daca227da5d&ei=5070

By JODI WILGOREN

Published: October 22, 2004
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 21 - Clad in camouflage clothing, a 12-gauge double-barreled shotgun under his arm, Senator John Kerry and three fellow hunters emerged from an eastern Ohio cornfield Thursday morning with four dead geese and an image his aides hope will help shore up his macho bona fides among rural voters.

"Everybody got one, everybody got one," said Mr. Kerry, his hand stained with goose blood, though he was the only member of the hunting party not carrying a carcass.

An aide said later that two of the birds would soon be sent back to Mr. Kerry for consumption.

The unusual trip in these hectic final days before the election was part of Mr. Kerry's lengthy effort to appeal, as a fellow sportsman, to the rural blue-collar voters who were considered critical to President Bush's victory in heartland states like this one in 2000. It also provided pictures that his aides hope will deflect Mr. Bush's portrayal of Mr. Kerry as a weak-kneed liberal, and fit into a broader effort this week to show him as a "regular guy," drinking beer while watching baseball, and speaking in a folksier style.

The National Rifle Association, which is spending $20 million to help re-elect Mr. Bush, greeted the political hunting party with a full-page advertisement in a nearby newspaper, The Youngstown Vindicator, that showed a gun-toting Mr. Kerry over the tagline, "If John Kerry wins, hunters lose."

President Bush, campaigning in Hershey, Pa., inserted a line about the Second Amendment into his stump speech and mocked Mr. Kerry, saying, "He can run - he can even run in camo - but he cannot hide."

Across this swing state in Sylvania, Ohio, Vice President Dick Cheney pointed out Mr. Kerry's "F" rating from the N.R.A., stemming from his support of a ban on assault weapons. "The Second Amendment is more than just a photo opportunity," said Mr. Cheney, whose own celebrated duck hunting trip this year - with Justice Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court - was not open to news photographers.

"I understand he bought a new camouflage jacket for the occasion, which did make me wonder how regularly he does go goose hunting," Mr. Cheney said to a chorus of boos. "My personal opinion is his new camo jacket is an October disguise, an effort he's making to hide the fact that he votes against gun-owner rights at every turn."

In fact, the outfit was borrowed, along with the shotgun, from the farm's owner, and within hours Mr. Kerry was back in tailored suit and rose-colored tie for another photo-op, hugging the widow of the actor Christopher Reeve, who endorsed him because of his backing embryonic stem-cell research.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Anyway, Brownback's mistake does point to something somewhat serious. You have to know your audience. You can't just pull out a version of the speech for "rural or middle America/Great Lakes region" and think it plays well.

Some politicians can pull this stuff off without having to think twice. Others need staff to remind them. Usually this comes off as pandering.

The best avoid their own unknown topics and find other ways to personalize the message. Reagan and Clinton were the best at this recently. Tommy was easily the best I've seen play to the home crowd.